• 382,950 Topics
• 21,414 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Naughty Dog Trifecta (Sorta) - new games  (Read 378 times)

whosiskid

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Try to become the person your dog thinks you are
Naughty Dog Trifecta (Sorta) - new games
« on: December 11, 2016, 09:11:39 pm »

I'm sure there are fans of some or all of these games, but at the annual Playstation event a week ago three of the most exciting new game announcements were Naughty Dog related. First of all, they revealed what most people guessed was an Uncharted  game, focused instead on an unidentified female character. After some pretty stunning graphics and some amazing fighting it is revealed that the main protagonist for the game is Chloe from Uncharted 2 and 3, the character voiced by Claudia Black (if I could be stranded on a deserted planet with a SF female, it would be Aeryn Sun from Farscape, not just hot, but the greatest voice ever). Here is the trailer. The shot of the city with the bombardment is just amazing looking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZjx5ao7alw

The a purely joyful stab from the past, not a Naughty Dog game, but another company updating the gameplay of the Crash Bandicoot trilogy, which Naughty Dog did for the Playstation One, which usually voted one of the great games of the PS1. I can't wait to play it on PS4 and Crash looks just incredible in the upgrade. It is exactly the same game as on the PS1. They just make the game look great on PS4. The trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZjx5ao7alw

But the biggest news was a trailer for THE LAST OF US, Part II. That is precisely the name, not TLOU 2, but Part II, and Neil Druckman made it explicit that this tells the second half of the story. He now admits that they always intended doing it and that it will complete Ellie and Joel's story. The first game was released in 2013 and the main character (you play for the most part the character of Joel, but he doesn't drive  the story, and TLOU is as much about story as much as game play, in fact, the story is driven by game play) Ellie was 14 years old. The date of release for TLOU, Pt. II hasn't been released, but Ellie is going to be 19 years old, we have been told. So I think the game will be released in 2018 if at all possible. I am a massive fan of  TLOU, have  completed the entire game about 25 times (I play it all the way through at least once every two months), so I am really looking forward to this. I love this game so hard the I plan on buying a 60 inch 4k TV (which is supposed to be the smallest size screen that 4K will register on - my problem is that my wall is about 5 feet from my couch unit (I have a Lazy-Boy recliner component connected to a middle piece and chaise lounge), so a 60 inch TV is a little larger than you would prefer at that distance, especially for gaming, where a smaller screen is recommended. Still, it will be optimized for PS4 Pro and 4k TV, so I'll be getting both a PS4 Pro and a 4k TV just to play this game, though I'll enjoy any improvements it makes for other games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Wnvvj33Wo

I was a little worried that Ashley Johnson's involvement with the TV show BLINDSPOT might interfere with the making of TLOU PT. II (she plays the second female lead on the show, the super tech person Patterson, but NBC is allegedly disappointed with the second season ratings, plus the show's main character is trying to get out of being on the show, at least for a while, so she can be in the next two AVENGERS films (she plays the Asgardian Lady Sif, who will be one of many trying to defeat Thanos after he gets the Infinity gauntlet). So Ashley might not have any scheduling conflicts. In the new game you will play Ellie instead of Joel, the only downside being that you won't get to beat zombies to death with a brick (Joel could kill almost anything in the game except Bloaters with a brick; Ellie did get a switchblade that Joel didn't get). Many are speculating - though there is not evidence for anything theories outside of what you can see see in the trailer (and writer/director Neil Druckman confirming you will play as Ellie) - that what makes Ellie so angry in the trailer is that someone, probably the Fireflies, have killed Joel in revenge, and Ellie is pledging to kill them in revenge for killing him. Druckman did say that TLOU was about love, Joel coming to love Ellie as a surrogate daughter after being shut down emotionally for twenty years, and Ellie coming to love Joel as the family she had never had (in the first game she confesses to Henry that the one thing she is afraid of is ending up alone), but that TLOU Pt. II will be about hate. I think someone killing Joel is perhaps the one thing that could drive Joel to hate. Anyway, under this interpretation she will talk to talk to Joel throughout the game in cut scenes, perhaps as she finally begins to suffer the effects of cordyceps, the fungus that has turns all of humankind into zombies, to which she seems to be immune. I have to admit that in the trailer there was something ghostlike in the way that Joel just walks out of something like mist into the house holding the revolver. But it is also extremely possible that Druckman is just playing with our expectations in the trailer. It is also possible that other things have happened, like the Fireflies might have attacked the community in Jackson Hole run by Joel's brother Robert, where he and Ellie go at the end of TLOU (that is a spoiler, but hell, anyone who sees anything about TLOU Pt. 2 will know that Ellie survives the game).

Anyway, I'm completely excited about this. I'll play a lot of other games this next year, but mainly I'm marking time until this one comes out.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
Re: Naughty Dog Trifecta (Sorta) - new games
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 04:07:40 pm »

So you write novels and play video games?

Just giving you a hard time man.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

whosiskid

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 03:12:48 am »

So you write novels and play video games?

Just giving you a hard time man.

I'll play along (see what I did there).

My writing is not fiction but generally cultural criticism, though once I get this one essay finished that I'm obligated to write on the film SERENITY (for an anthology on Joss Whedon's film based on the TV series FIREFLY).

But apart from that my hobbies are:

Gaming
Hiking (with my dog)
TV (both character-driven serials and documentaries)
Movies (especially thirties and forties films)
Reading (philosophy, novels, poetry, economics, politics, history, and a lot of other things)

Game I'm playing right now:  Fallout 4 (but about to quit), just replayed The Last of US, and I am about to replay the first three Uncharted games and finally play Uncharted 4. I bought when it came out and I simply can't bring myself to play it. I love that series. Hard. But once I play it I'll be done with it. Ugh. But I'm tired of avoiding out how the game ends. I don't know if Nathan is alive at the end or dead. So I'm going to replay the first three games on the improved PS4 versions and then finally play Uncharted 4.

Then I'm going to play two games I've really intended to but haven't: Bloodbourne and The Witcher. In that order. I suspect The Witcher is a game I'll end up spending on 200 hours. I'm also interested in playing Skyrim on PS4. Oh, two other games before those last three: I am going to play Bioshock on PS4. I played Bioshock Infinite and loved it despite hating the ending. And I want to play one of the great oversights of my gaming life: Mass Effect. I want to play all parts of the original game before the new Mass Effect comes out. Once I get through all of those, maybe we'll have a release date for The Last of Us Pt. 2

BTW, I've rewatched the trailer for TLOU Pt. 2 and noticed a couple of interesting things. There are already about a million fan theories out there, many believing that Joel is dead. That may be. In that scene it is interesting that Ellie is absolutely battered. Apparently she killed a bunch of people in that house, took the guitar of one of them, tuned it, and then sang a song. But her knuckles are skinned, her neck is either bitten or scratched, and blood is dripping down her face from a cut of some sort. Joel is unbloodied, his clothes clean (for him), and doesn't seem to have been in a fight. What he is wearing is very similar to what he was wearing in the original game when he fell onto a rebar, impaling himself and nearly dying. In that scene he carried a revolver (neat trick - if as the severely wounded Joel, if you fire your revolver and then immediately reload and keep doing that, you will end up with over 11 or 12 bullets when he eventually wakes up, even if he had zero bullets when injured).  So the contrast between Joel and Ellie is a bit shocking.

Ellie is wearing the same shirt that Riley was wearing at the end of TLOU DLC, right when both she and Ellie had been bit by the Infected. This makes me wonder if this is a dream sequence.

At Ellie's feet is a machete. Ellie used a machete in that horrific scene on David, in what is essentially a rape scene.

So, I think there are some interesting things in that trailer.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • USN AW2
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 04:45:12 pm »

Witcher is amazing. I would also recommend ESO if you are interested in the same style of game but multi player.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • USN AW2
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 04:46:18 pm »

For some reason I just never thought you would be the gamer type.

whosiskid

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 01:55:43 am »

For some reason I just never thought you would be the gamer type.

Nah, I love games, ever since I lost two years of it playing Diablo and Diablo 2. And I believe I was the first player to ever max out a Staff character playing the MMORPG Asheron's Call (Staff being the most permanently nerfed character class in AC). I stopped playing online games because they were eating up huge hunks of my life.

I ended up getting Skyrim for PS4 for a simple reason: for an hour or two on Dec. 25 you could get it for $19.95, while for some reason they raised The Witcher to over $40. I definitely am going to play the Witcher though. And Bloodbourne. I am nearly finished playing Resident Evil 4 for the first time in my life. I like playing the games I missed the first time around on updated platforms. I really am looking forward to Crash Bandicoot.

I love comic books too. The total geek package. I've even thought about trying to join a D&D group even at my advanced age.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas