• 388,762 Topics
• 22,001 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glacie NP and Banff  (Read 495 times)

hogfan870

• Senior
Glacie NP and Banff
« on: October 04, 2016, 02:12:59 pm »

I am about to start planning a family trip (kids will be 14 and 16) to Glacier National Park and Banff for next July.  Thinking we will fly to Calgary, rent a car, spend 2 or 3 days at Banff, drive to Glacier, spend 5 or 6 days there, then drive back to Calgary and fly home.  May have some other family meet/join us.  Any and all suggestions welcome and appreciated. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Glacie NP and Banff
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 02:30:25 pm »

Been to Glacier.  Some of my favorite hikes I have been on in any NP.  Beautiful of course.  BUY BEAR SPRAY.  Not kidding.  I've been to other parks in the West like Yellowstone, Tetons and in California.  You will see bears in Glacier- grizzlies and black bears.  The grizzlies are amazing in the wild but also terrifying when you think about what could happen.  Hike on popular trails especially with the kids.  Trails like the Hidden Lake Overlook aren't too bad if you are in decent shape and safe.  Kids and old people go on it.  And the view from the top is amazing.  Now if you decide to go on down to the lake, this is where you will get into Grizzly country.  Not a bad hike if you are in shape though. Grinnell Lake Hike is cool too.  Again, grizzlies are seen around these trails though.

July will be crowded.  Parking will be at a premium so you will probably have to get going early.  Where are you staying?  We stayed in Kalispell.  Whitefish is another great option with restaurants and nightlife.  You can probably get a condo/townhome around Whitefish if you book early.  The park lodges are in beautiful settings.  Just too rustic for us especially the wife.  Saw the Many Glacier and McDonald lodges.  Good restaurant/bar in McDonald Lodge and you can relax in the back of it and enjoy the lake view.  Didn't ride the red bus tour or the boat on Lake McDonald.  Hope to get up to Banff someday.  Speaking of Canada, Glacier draws a lot of Canadians.  The East side of the park where you will come in from Canada doesn't have a lot of civilization.  The towns are on the West side. 

Kalispell has a nice airport for a region like that if you don't want to go back to Calgary. 

One last thing, hope some idiot or storm doesn't start forest fires in Washington, Idaho or Montana.  Last couple of trips out that way, had to smell smoke and deal with some hazy days due to fires out there. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:47:55 pm by Atlhogfan1 »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ur

• All-American Hogvillian
  • The First Back to Back 7A Football State Champions
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 07:51:17 pm »

My son worked this summer in Yosemite. Saw 7 bears while hiking. All brown. He was considering Glacier or Yellowstone but after experiencing bears on a trail and then seeing and hearing what grizzlies will do, he wouldn't hike either park without a large group or gun. Earlier this summer a US Forest Service officer near Glacier surprised a grizzly while on his mountain bike and it killed him. Here is the most recent attack.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 08:53:04 pm by ur »

kodiakisland

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 01:03:42 am »

I've hunted on the southwest border of Banff several times.  Beautiful country.  Tons of grizzlies.

My 25th wedding anniversary is this winter.  My wife and I were going to go to the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, but decided to go to Italy instead.  Maybe next year.  I really want to be there when the lake is frozen.

You should have a great time.

Jek Tono Porkins

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Defense Wins Championships
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 07:17:36 pm »

Went to Glacier over July 4. Camped at 2 car campgrounds and 1 backcountry campground at kintla lake on the northwest side of the park. Was awesome. It was summer but night lows were still in upper 30's at night so bring warm stuff. We went rafting with glacier raft company. Highly recommended. They also rent camping gear. Are you planning on camping at the car campgrounds or backcountry camping?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 01:27:59 pm »

Went to Glacier over July 4. Camped at 2 car campgrounds and 1 backcountry campground at kintla lake on the northwest side of the park. Was awesome. It was summer but night lows were still in upper 30's at night so bring warm stuff. We went rafting with glacier raft company. Highly recommended. They also rent camping gear. Are you planning on camping at the car campgrounds or backcountry camping?

We stayed in Banff while skiing Lake Louise several years ago. Beautiful place in the winter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas