• 382,453 Topics
• 21,386 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel teams in NWA? - looking for info  (Read 5183 times)

jackjack

• Band Nerd
Re: Travel teams in NWA? - looking for info
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2017, 05:05:08 pm »

www.legacysportsacademy.com

Matt Vinson, Colby Suggs and Mike Strouhal running that academy. Zach Cox will be there in the fall plus several pros to train. I know they have AAA, Major teams already in almost every age group.

It's a 20K sq/ft facility under construction to be open in Aug or early Sept. Huge.

As Bonfield said about LEGACY Sports Academy..."You wanna be the best, your train with the best." #LegacySports

DOGALUM

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Best creme brulee ever
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2017, 03:05:38 pm »

My son's team has their final tourney of the summer this weekend in St Louis.  They have an opportunity to have won 40+ games this summer vs 3 loss and 2 ties.  They are a 15 year old team and have played up in the 16 year old division for over half their tourneys.  But they are playing up in the 17/18 year old division this weekend.  That could be a tough one. But we have plenty of plus pitching depth so who knows what could happen.  I'm looking forward to it. 

Also, he did not make the Areacode baseball team.  He's happy to have got the tryout though.  It's been a great summer.  College scouts at these games is a neat thing for the boys to see. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogwild04

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2017, 01:01:59 am »

To get to try out for area code game at 15 is good, and it would be rare as a 15 yr old to make it, you have the Area Code games that are incoming SRs and underclassman area Code games which are mostly incoming JRs,   The stands are filled with pro scouts and some colleges, but there are a lot of colleges at the tryouts like you went to and have seen kids get offers or on radars from having a great showing at just the tryout.  Bottom line is bring your kid to it every year you can.  I had 2 kids play in area code games, one had a good college career and now has graduated and in the workforce and the other will be starting his college career this fall and was at Area Code this summer in California .  From a dad that has had 2 kids on baseball scholarships and another will be a Sr this year and is a football prospect, the recruiting process can be stressful, u may see kids that as a over all player is not that good but have one skill they are great at, and they are getting offers but as someone posted before, find out what you do well,  run a 6.6, throw 90 plus, hit 400" bombs, those are things that get you on the radar, I have seen solid players in HS that had great numbers but avg arm, above avg speed and hit for avg  and a very good over all player get nothing and a kid who cant hit or field but threw 92 get a ride, or a kid who cant hit for avg,  but can hit the ball 400 plus in BP get rides.   At any camp or prospect game, you have to have a skill that stands out.   

on travel ball, I wish I would had started mine later, I started them at 9 and spent thousands, could had paid for their college in cash if i would have just saved money.  Up to age 14, just playing local and you as a dad going out and throwing with them and giving them BP and reps is about the best thing you can do, then about 8th grade start looking for a good team that has a history of kids getting scholarship's,  do some research, a lot of tourneys draw no scouts, but there are teams that have a reputation and play in PG, Premier type tourneys and scouts go there and even ask the travel coach what they have.   

I think the key is , and someone already posted this is be realistic on kids talent, don't under sell but don't over sell.  If you have a good player and they are a gamer but has just above avg tools, and you are looking to get them some looks to play in college, don't take them just to a University of Texas or a Arkansas prospect game, it is OK to look at JUCOs, smaller D1,and D2 programs and there are some very strong D3, most D3 schools are better than D2s, cant offer athletic money but has other avenues to get money.  You have to look at all options.   If your kid can play, someone will give him a shot.  This is the first summer in 16 years not to have to chase baseball and use our vacation for a actual vacation, but I already miss it.  It goes too fast, so enjoy it and use it as a time to bond, don't spend the whole time critiquing your kids game in hotel room and stressing over getting him committed at age 16, let him have fun and then come game time turn it on, I spent more time riding my oldest than just relaxing and enjoying the time, wish I could get that back,  the mistakes of a first time dad going through.   Much more relaxed with 2nd, and all worked out just the same, so stressing did nothing for him or me, and on my opinion at starting these kids at age 9 and playing all over spending money and playing 100 games, My kids were recruited by some big programs and can say that not one college coach asked him what team did he play for when he was 12, or ask about stats or team records,  All coaches know you can be great when your 8 and not be good at 16,,  Just some input of what i went through and saw.   Again like everyone says, enjoy it, goes by so fast,

TexasDad

• Band Nerd
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2017, 08:27:37 am »

on travel ball, I wish I would had started mine later, I started them at 9 and spent thousands, could had paid for their college in cash if i would have just saved money.  Up to age 14, just playing local and you as a dad going out and throwing with them and giving them BP and reps is about the best thing you can do, then about 8th grade start looking for a good team that has a history of kids getting scholarship's,  do some research, a lot of tourneys draw no scouts, but there are teams that have a reputation and play in PG, Premier type tourneys and scouts go there and even ask the travel coach what they have.   

Very well put, and I agree! Although, our family has created some lifetime friendships and terrific memories from those early days in travel ball.

Pig Power

• Senior
  • I am Hog Wild
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2017, 10:43:43 am »

To get to try out for area code game at 15 is good, and it would be rare as a 15 yr old to make it, you have the Area Code games that are incoming SRs and underclassman area Code games which are mostly incoming JRs,   The stands are filled with pro scouts and some colleges, but there are a lot of colleges at the tryouts like you went to and have seen kids get offers or on radars from having a great showing at just the tryout.  Bottom line is bring your kid to it every year you can.  I had 2 kids play in area code games, one had a good college career and now has graduated and in the workforce and the other will be starting his college career this fall and was at Area Code this summer in California .  From a dad that has had 2 kids on baseball scholarships and another will be a Sr this year and is a football prospect, the recruiting process can be stressful, u may see kids that as a over all player is not that good but have one skill they are great at, and they are getting offers but as someone posted before, find out what you do well,  run a 6.6, throw 90 plus, hit 400" bombs, those are things that get you on the radar, I have seen solid players in HS that had great numbers but avg arm, above avg speed and hit for avg  and a very good over all player get nothing and a kid who cant hit or field but threw 92 get a ride, or a kid who cant hit for avg,  but can hit the ball 400 plus in BP get rides.   At any camp or prospect game, you have to have a skill that stands out.   

I think the key is , and someone already posted this is be realistic on kids talent, don't under sell but don't over sell.  If you have a good player and they are a gamer but has just above avg tools, and you are looking to get them some looks to play in college, don't take them just to a University of Texas or a Arkansas prospect game, it is OK to look at JUCOs, smaller D1,and D2 programs and there are some very strong D3, most D3 schools are better than D2s, cant offer athletic money but has other avenues to get money.  You have to look at all options.   If your kid can play, someone will give him a shot.  This is the first summer in 16 years not to have to chase baseball and use our vacation for a actual vacation, but I already miss it.  It goes too fast, so enjoy it and use it as a time to bond, don't spend the whole time critiquing your kids game in hotel room and stressing over getting him committed at age 16, let him have fun and then come game time turn it on, I spent more time riding my oldest than just relaxing and enjoying the time, wish I could get that back,  the mistakes of a first time dad going through.   Much more relaxed with 2nd, and all worked out just the same, so stressing did nothing for him or me, and on my opinion at starting these kids at age 9 and playing all over spending money and playing 100 games, My kids were recruited by some big programs and can say that not one college coach asked him what team did he play for when he was 12, or ask about stats or team records,  All coaches know you can be great when your 8 and not be good at 16,,  Just some input of what i went through and saw.   Again like everyone says, enjoy it, goes by so fast,
I swear that was my life too.. So true!

Surfing8

• Hogvillian
  • Whaddya think now apologists.
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2017, 11:42:54 am »

Thanks for taking the time to post this. 

DOGALUM

• Best creme brulee ever
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2017, 04:18:21 pm »

thanks for the great info.....and great post.

DOGALUM

• Best creme brulee ever
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2017, 10:00:23 pm »

Well friends, this summer season is over.  The boys finished a very busy summer today with a record of 41-4-2.  Made it to the finals today in St Louis, a 15 year old team playing in the 17/18 division.  Lost 4-3 in the finals.  I know record means nothing but what a fun team it's been to watch.  Special group of young men with bright futures ahead of them.  Several in baseball.  They all improved over the summer.  I've loved the discussion and insight in this thread and I hope it continues.  Please share updates of your boys as fall ball starts later this year.  I love talking about my son but I love hearing about other kids too.  If you follow HS baseball, particularly 7A West baseball, most if not all of these boys will be varsity starters as sophomores this coming season.  Kids from Fayetteville, Har Ber, Rogers, Bentonville, and Gravette.

hogwild04

• Band Nerd
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2017, 10:39:40 pm »

Gotta love High School Baseball, some of the best years of my boy's career.  Cherish it, not a crier but eyes did water, ( just a little) at the end of each Sr Season. Love college as well but something about hometown support,
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas