Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Taurus PT111 G2

Started by sowmonella, July 04, 2016, 09:52:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sowmonella

Is the Taurus PT 111 G2 a good carry gun? I've got a S&W 357 13-3 and it's too heavy and bulky for carry purposes. The Taurus can be had for about $210 new and I don't want a big spend on this. Thanks.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

kodiakisland

Do you really want to go cheap as possible for a carry gun you may have to depend your life on?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Quote from: sowmonella on July 04, 2016, 09:52:08 am
Is the Taurus PT 111 G2 a good carry gun? I've got a S&W 357 13-3 and it's too heavy and bulky for carry purposes. The Taurus can be had for about $210 new and I don't want a big spend on this. Thanks.

It is my everyday carry gun.

I will warn you.  The 3rd trip to the range I experienced a major malfunction where the gun locked up.  Turns out the spring on the recoil spring assembly jumped the end of the assembly, causing it to fail.  It is a known issue with this gun.  I called Taurus customer service and they shipped me a new assembly, at no charge...no questions asked.  They said it would be 3 weeks before it arrived, but it was actually 3 or 4 days.

Because I thought I had a 3 week wait, I searched the Taurus forum and found an aftermarket stainless steel assembly and ordered it.  With shipping and everything, it was $40 or so.  It arrived at the same time as the replacement from Taurus.

Took both to the range, fired them both to make sure they worked properly, and then put the Taurus version in the bottom of the carry case and have been using the aftermarket version ever since.  I have had ZERO issues with the gun since, having sent 500 or so rounds down range.

Even spending the $40 on the aftermarket assembly, I have less than $300 into my Millenium, and have zero reservations about it being my everyday carry.  For no more than I will use the gun (good Lord willing), I think it's an excellent option for someone on a budget.  The size and weight are just about perfect, and I can group 3 rounds in the size of a quarter from 12 yards and in.

Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

sowmonella

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 04, 2016, 11:09:56 pm
Do you really want to go cheap as possible for a carry gun you may have to depend your life on?
I don't think I said cheap as possible. Just considering a smaller lighter 9MM when needed. I've read a lot of favorable reviews and wondered if any one here had any experience with one.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.

kodiakisland

Quote from: sowmonella on July 05, 2016, 07:09:09 pm
I don't think I said cheap as possible. Just considering a smaller lighter 9MM when needed. I've read a lot of favorable reviews and wondered if any one here had any experience with one.

No, those were my words, but I think $210 is pretty close to as cheap as possible as it gets.  My point is not to make a choice of a carry firearm based on the cheapness of the gun.  Nothing against Taurus, I've had a few, but I would choose something a little better made as a carry piece.  Sure, a range gun would be fine, but in the rare instance that I may have to actually use a gun to save myself or someone else, I want something a little better.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

DOGALUM

Quote from: sowmonella on July 04, 2016, 09:52:08 am
You can pick up a like new S&W Shield for $350ish and it is....in my opinion.....a far superior weapon for CC.  (or for any other purpose) 

I've not had a PT111 G2, but that's because Taurus semi-autos have long had a horrid reputation and while it is true that you can find online gripes about every kind of handgun, the number of issues with Taurus (and this model specifically) is WAY too high for me to ever consider it as a CC.  I've had two friends who bought one because of price (against my advice).  Both got rid of them within 2-3 range trips. 
Do what you want and what fits your budget, but my advice is to stay away from this gun.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Rzbakfromwaybak

July 08, 2016, 06:48:32 pm #6 Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 07:24:18 pm by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: sowmonella on July 05, 2016, 07:09:09 pm

Yes, I have one, PT111 G2. Had it a year & a half.  Very accurate & reliable.  Have tried 3 different kinds of jacketed HP ammo, all function flawlessly.  Taurus doesn't have a great reputation, have owned a few of their firearms, & a couple of them were not of the best quality.  This model, they got it right.  I own a glock 19, & 2 Springfield XD's.  This Taurus is very comparable to those in reliability & accuracy.  Shot it plenty enough to have confidence for carry & protection.  The reviews I read before purchasing this model, are right on.  Believe that Taurus makes too many different models of firearms. They need to make fewer models, concentrate more on quality, & get them right like they did this one.  IMHO, this one is worth the money.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

sowmonella

Went with the SW Shield. Also liked the Walther PPS.

kodiakisland

I think you will be happy with the shield.  I have one for IWB carry.  It's not my favorite gun, but it serves a purpose, is reliable, and my wife and daughter both shoot it well.

HF#1

There are about 600 other pistols that are better than anything Taurus makes.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin