Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WOW!!!!!, would Ronnie really say this???

Started by #1HeadHog, June 12, 2006, 12:45:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

#1HeadHog

June 12, 2006, 12:45:19 pm Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 12:48:10 pm by #1hognutt
Guys, scroll down to about half way where it says another wade? Did Ronnie really mean it?

http://journaltimes.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=6162
"Always root for the winner. That way you won't be disappointed."

ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS

WilsonHog

Quote from: #1hognutt on June 12, 2006, 12:45:19 pm
Guys, found this on ben maller................Former Arkansas standout swingman Ronnie Brewer, who figures to be a lottery selection, believes his status going into the draft is similar to Dwayne Wade’s when he entered the draft. “I kind of look up to him,’’ Brewer said of Wade. “He didn’t go to a big basketball school and I didn’t go to a big basketball school: He went to Marquette and I went to Arkansas.

:o Do ya'll think he was kidding around? Or did he even say this?

If he did, perhaps he was right. In a day and age when yesterday's developments qualify as old, we're not a basketball power.

1995 was 10 years ago.

HOGLUVIN

"When he came out, not many people thought he would do what he's done, just like I'm not supposed to do nothing. But I believe I can be a starter and some day be an All-Star.''

He could have spent some more time in English class.

bigyellowdog

truth hurts.   I long for the days of being a basketball powerhouse to return.

Adam Stokes

He also said Dwayne Wade wasn't supposed to do nothing, I mean anything.  Dwayne Wade won the Wooden Award and took his team to the Final Four!!  Small school yes, expected to do nothing?  Not so much.

PMCANALLY

I'm pretty sure his 'english' classes aren't going to have any affect on the millions of dollars he'll be making after June 28th
TeamTaylor--- u wanna fut wit me?

WPS!

Zen_Hog

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on June 12, 2006, 12:51:43 pm
"When he came out, not many people thought he would do what he's done, just like I'm not supposed to do nothing. But I believe I can be a starter and some day be an All-Star.''

He could have spent some more time in English class.

That's one of my pet peeves, double negatives.

Razorbacking02

I find this funny. People are quick to bring down the basketball program's national standing. When someone says that they are a national accredited program, people respond in droves... 'Come on guys, 1995 was over ten years ago!'... but yet the same people believe Arkansas should be a national power in Football, even though their last national title was more then 40 years ago.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Razorbacking02 on June 12, 2006, 01:41:47 pm
I find this funny. People are quick to bring down the basketball program's national standing. When someone says that they are a national accredited program, people respond in droves... 'Come on guys, 1995 was over ten years ago!'... but yet the same people believe Arkansas should be a national power in Football, even though their last national title was more then 40 years ago.

Does that mean that only teams that win national championships are nationally competitive?

Surely you don't want to start down that slippery slope.

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 12, 2006, 01:45:03 pm

Does that mean that only teams that win national championships are nationally competitive?

We got beat beat by Bucknell..We were a big Basketball school fellas.  Ronnie was speaking the truth

We got beat by Bucknell

PMCANALLY

WPS!

Rey Pygsterio

This just gets more and more similar to the Olu Famutimi situation. Someone is filling Brewer's head with some crazy ideas. He should have stayed in school.

But what a slap in the face to Arkansas.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

GreatScott

I just lost a lot of respect for Ronnie Brewer.

PMCANALLY

"Brewer, who figures to be a lottery selection, believes his status going into the draft is similar to Wade's when he entered the draft"

This is obviously the newspapers twist. All Ronnie said was that he looked up to him and compared their schooling. Not "I'm going to be the next Wade". And of course Ronnie is going to stay positive-- "But I believe I can be a starter and some day be an All-Star"  What's he going to be thinking and saying, "Yeah a lot of people don't believe in me and neither do I really. I'll be drafted high but will blow it once I get there"

C'mon now....

WPS!

bigtusk

I remember when he was being recruited, he mentioned Arkansas as "Not a big name school" so I have little doubt he made this comment.

HogCards88

Richard_white

Quote from: GreatScott on June 12, 2006, 02:23:21 pm

That's what a lot of HS players say about Arkansas.(FB and BB)  Arkansas doesn't get respect.  Maybe if they put more WINS than loses it will help their chances.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: HogCards88 on June 12, 2006, 02:39:44 pm
For telling the truth?

We were a basketball school and were ultra successful but we havent done jack in a long long time.

Ronnie probably should not have said that but he does have a point.

I really didnt take it as much of a slam.

Wade's "non basketball school" team went to the Final Four his final year.

MrSpook1352

It's a non-issue for me.  I think he gives us a bit too little credit, but at the same time, we aren't Kentucky, Indiana or UCLA.  We are a second tier school in basketball.  That doesn't change the fact that we've also had some mighty fine teams over the years.

GreatScott

For telling the truth?

No, for simplying saying it in the first place. No need to say anything negative about your school.

When someone runs down the team I root for, I lose respect for them. I am a Hog fan and don't like reading these types of comments from former players. It's true, we aren't the program we used to be, but it wasn't THAT long ago where we were a big time basketball school.

RAZORBART

I think we are being over sensitive and a little unfair for getting mad at Ronnie for saying Arkansas is not a BIG basketball school. Fact is we are not. We have had marginal success in the past but much like football, have tried to live too long off our successes. Face it we are in the cellar in both sports and all we have is our past, well we also have a lot of promises but most of those have been rather empty the past few years in both sports. We are the true definition of mediocre and our new motto is wait until next year.

Sao Ming

He either said it and meant it or he was lying and didnt mean it.  Lying?  Yes...do you think he told all of our recruits that came thru the Bud that UA was not a big basketball school?  He can't have it both ways, can he?  I agree that this is perhaps an unitentional slap in the face, not matter how long ago our last/only BB NC was.  Want another NC?  Then shut your hole Ronnie and good luck in the NBA.  I wish you all the best, sincerely.

GreatScott

Quote from: NoOrdinaryRabbit on June 12, 2006, 04:32:26 pm
He didn’t go to a big basketball school and I didn’t go to a big basketball school..."

How exactly does that quote make you think he is 'running down' the hogs?  He didn't say it was a crappy b-ball school or anything like that.  He just said it wasn't a big one.  Whether you agree or disagree with his statement, I didn't take it as him being negative.  Sure you're not just pissed that he went early?

Actually I am not 'pissed' at all. I just said I lost respect for him. Doesn't mean I lost ALL respect or that I hate him. I don't.

Actually I am pissed about something: That we aren't a big time basketball school any more. Okay. There I said it. It is true. Just wish our former players wouldn't go out there saying it. It is different for Dickie V to say than it is for a former player.

hogtheball

I think I'd be more upset if I was a Marquette fan.  They've been to the final four a lot more recently than us...and they have just as many national championships.  Seriously, guys...if you were going to bet $1000 on one of the following teams to go to the final four next year, which one would you leave out:   North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, Michigan State, UConn, Illinois, or Arkansas.    We are obviously not one of the top 20 programs in the country or you'd see us make an appearance in the top 20 from time to time.   

That being said, I hope Ronnie is at least a little upset that he didn't get us there.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: NoOrdinaryRabbit on June 12, 2006, 02:28:31 pm

Why?  Are we still a big basketball school?

Historically? Yes. Recently? No.

Golfer

Quote from: GreatScott on June 12, 2006, 03:52:09 pm
For telling the truth?

No, for simplying saying it in the first place. No need to say anything negative about your school.

When someone runs down the team I root for, I lose respect for them. I am a Hog fan and don't like reading these types of comments from former players. It's true, we aren't the program we used to be, but it wasn't THAT long ago where we were a big time basketball school.

Like there is never any thing negative said about the U of A on this board? What is the difference?

hogwild84

I remember reading an SI article some time ago that ranked the powerhouses of the NCAA basketball world, and arkansas was #8.  We are historically not a second tier program, and hopefully in the near future we will prove that standing.

Extra Point

Quote from: bigrod155 on June 12, 2006, 02:04:41 pm

We got beat beat by Bucknell..We were a big Basketball school fellas.  Ronnie was speaking the truth

We got beat by Bucknell

Florida's been knocked out of the tourney by Bucknell.  Are they not a good basketball school?

You guys need to get over the name.  You know you would not have felt any better about losing some name school.

Richard_white

June 12, 2006, 05:36:40 pm #28 Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 05:44:08 pm by Richard_white
Quote from: Extra Point on June 12, 2006, 05:33:01 pm
Quote from: bigrod155 on June 12, 2006, 02:04:41 pm

We got beat by Bucknell

Florida's been knocked out of the tourney by Bucknell.  Are they not a good basketball school?

You guys need to get over the name.  You know you would not have felt any better about losing some name school.

Seriously, it's not the name Bucknell that kills most hog fans.  It's the way we lost to Bucknell.  Hog fans knew that if we pressed a POORLY ball handling team, like we did the last minute or so the outcome would be different.

Razorbacking02

Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on June 12, 2006, 05:09:28 pm
Quote from: NoOrdinaryRabbit on June 12, 2006, 02:28:31 pm

Why?  Are we still a big basketball school?

Historically? Yes. Recently? No.

Exactly. To use a college football reference, Boise State has had run of recent success, but does anyone think they are historically a credible program? No.

Dudesbrother

Ronnie Jr. and Sr. have made some stupid comments lately. I wish them both luck. They should play more and speak less. You would think that they would have more positive comments about the UofA.

Maybe RB Sr. is still mad about the boothead thing.

thahawg

Although it may of looked like Ronnie was dissing Arkanasas, he probably did not know was doing it and I am sure that all he wants is the best for the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Art Vandalay

I see both sides of this argument.  I suspect he didn't mean any harm, but he is an ambassador for our program now.  In this respect, I am disappointed that he said what he said.  The lesson learned is that he needs to measure his words very carefully when dealing with the media. It is not their job to clarify what he means when he says things like this.  Their job is to report.
My favorite sports team is superior to your favorite sports team.

The real Hogules

All this fuss over a slip of the tongue, I worry about some of you guys!
R.B. Jr. "asked" to be the player/person to show Patrick Beverley around the campus, as well as assist in his recruitment.
Maybe he could have chosen his words a little more carefully, but at the end of a loooooong day what possible difference did it actually make?
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

werehog

Ronnie's remarks hurt, but he did his best the last three years in an offense that made it difficult to showcase his talents. Yes, what Ronnie said hurts, but he told the truth. It appears to kids looking to play someday in the NBA that UA decided to de-emphasize basketball when they hired Stan Heath. Was he the best guy we could get to come to a school with a great plant, a great tradition and great fan base? It is stupid to down grade the UA program that had a long tradition of final four trips that date back to the 1940s long before Eddie Sutton or Nolan Richardson showed up on campus. I only hope we have the will to revive the UA basketball program when the Stan Heath experiment ends.

WilsonHog

I'm just not comfortable getting upset with someone for telling the truth.

Let me use Ronnie's comment to make a point that has been festering with me for awhile.

There seems to be a school of thought out there that equates dissent or criticism with disloyalty. I'm pretty sure that our country was founded on the very act of dissent.

I have a great deal more respect for a man who is willing to stand up and voice a negative opinion than one whi chooses instead to remain silent under the rationale that he doesn't have the right to criticize someone else for the way a job is being done.

corndo

Don't forget that Street and Smith Magazine rated the Hogs the 8th greatest basketball program of all time a couple of years ago.

DirectorM

Wow, you can say what you want to about whether its true or not, but it still hurts.  Its one thing to think your wife is a little overweight, but to hear someone else says it just ticks you off.

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: corndo on June 12, 2006, 08:55:20 pm
Don't forget that Street and Smith Magazine rated the Hogs the 8th greatest basketball program of all time a couple of years ago.

A couple of years ago.   What about know?  Where would we rank today(the past is history)?  What will our past do for the team know. 

10 years ago we where a big school...the truth is guys would a basketball fan(non razorback fan) watch the team play.  Would you watch UNLV play?  If you answered no...we are not a big basketball school.  Who would want to watch the team play, we would because we are razorback fans.  The avg basketball fan would not...its the truth.  Basketball fans across the world watch the big teams..we are starting to  fall off the map guys.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 12, 2006, 12:47:03 pm
Quote from: #1hognutt on June 12, 2006, 12:45:19 pm
Guys, found this on ben maller................Former Arkansas standout swingman Ronnie Brewer, who figures to be a lottery selection, believes his status going into the draft is similar to Dwayne Wade’s when he entered the draft. “I kind of look up to him,’’ Brewer said of Wade. “He didn’t go to a big basketball school and I didn’t go to a big basketball school: He went to Marquette and I went to Arkansas.

:o Do ya'll think he was kidding around? Or did he even say this?

If he did, perhaps he was right. In a day and age when yesterday's developments qualify as old, we're not a basketball power.

1995 was 10 years ago.

No, 1995 was 11 years ago.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

dana caldwell

i think w/ronnie knowing well his dad's history and being old enough to remember the mid-1990s, he's taking a shot at the current state of the program.

he and his dad were much frustrated with heath.

Hank351

Come on you guys.  I mean Ronnie isn't just some guy who played at Arkansas.  He grew up right here in Fayetteville.  He has more respect for this place, and understands that this place has made him who he is.  You guys need to get off the kids back.

Just because you're upset that he's not staying a fourth year means you need to run this man down.  Half of ya'll have been on this kids jock for the past 3 years, and now that he's going pro you're going to disect everything this kid says.

Oh, and we're not a powerhouse in anything but track anymore.  Not Basketball, sure as hell not Football, the next closest thing is Baseball. 

So, ya'll say you're Hog faithful, then support the kid that has been the basketball program here for the past three years, and get off his back.

hoggystyle78

The Hog BB program is historically one of the top 10 programs of all time, PERIOD. The football program has had it's good years, and in the 1960s-1980s was consistently ranked in the top 25, many times appearing in the top 10, BUT, we have never been one of the top 10 all-time football programs, that has been reserved for the likes of Notre Dame, USC, Michigan etc. Arkansas was AND STILL IS, a well known basketball school. Have we been on top lately?, no, but our history in football cannot match our history in BB. And to answer another poster on here who said nobody but Hog fans would watch the Hogs play BB, I say BULLLSCHITT!, the Razorbacks along with Kentucky, UNLV, and Loyola Marymount to name a few, were very entertaining games watched by many BB fans who don't wear cardinal and white. It's true Hog BB has hit upon hard times, but in the overall picture of NCAA basketball, Arkansas has historically been one of the "name" teams, and in my opinion we will return to that prominence. Will Heath be the guy to take us there?, I don't know, but we will return to prominence, watch....

dana caldwell

i agree, hoggystyle, but it will take a change at the top, i think, to get back there.

LL COOL HOG

June 15, 2006, 01:14:04 pm #44 Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 01:16:11 pm by bigrod155
Quote from: hoggystyle78 on June 13, 2006, 05:45:12 pm
The Hog BB program is historically one of the top 10 programs of all time, PERIOD. The football program has had it's good years, and in the 1960s-1980s was consistently ranked in the top 25, many times appearing in the top 10, BUT, we have never been one of the top 10 all-time football programs, that has been reserved for the likes of Notre Dame, USC, Michigan etc. Arkansas was AND STILL IS, a well known basketball school. Have we been on top lately?, no, but our history in football cannot match our history in BB. And to answer another poster on here who said nobody but Hog fans would watch the Hogs play BB, I say BULLLSCHITT!, the Razorbacks along with Kentucky, UNLV, and Loyola Marymount to name a few, were very entertaining games watched by many BB fans who don't wear cardinal and white. It's true Hog BB has hit upon hard times, but in the overall picture of NCAA basketball, Arkansas has historically been one of the "name" teams, and in my opinion we will return to that prominence. Will Heath be the guy to take us there?, I don't know, but we will return to prominence, watch....

Bullschitt!! really look at what was posted.  The Razorbacks along with Kentucky, UNLV, and Loyola Marymount to name a few, WERE very entertaining games watched by many BB fans who don't wear cardinal and white. 

What about today...Would You really watch Loyola Marymount play today.  Call in sick just to stay home to watch.   NOOOOOO!!!!..  CASE CLOSED