• 382,904 Topics
• 21,412 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pacific Northwest  (Read 984 times)

kibster

• Hogvillian
Pacific Northwest
« on: June 15, 2016, 12:58:06 pm »

My wife and I will be taking our third trip to the PNW in September and are wondering if anyone has any "musts" to either do or eat.  This is mainly a foodcentric vacation (for me anyway) so I am always looking for places to eat (although I have picked many places out already and have reservations).

We are flying out to Portland for two nights, then to Cannon Beach for two nights, drive up to the San Juan Islands for a night, back down to Seattle for two nights, then a quick stop in Denver for a night for a concert at Red Rocks, then home. 

Boog41

• Hogvillian
Re: Pacific Northwest
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 01:22:11 pm »

Elliotts is a great place, on the water, in Seattle.

www.elliottsoysterhouse.com

For fine dining in Seattle, it's hard to beat Canlis.

www.canlis.com

Pink Door is also great.

www.thepinkdoor.net

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

kibster

• Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 01:25:44 pm »

Elliotts is a great place, on the water, in Seattle.

www.elliottsoysterhouse.com

For fine dining in Seattle, it's hard to beat Canlis.

www.canlis.com

Pink Door is also great.

www.thepinkdoor.net

Have you been to Canlis?  It was between there and Altura for dinner one night and I am leaning toward Altura.

I will check in to the other two.

HawgWild

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Life is good
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 01:47:05 pm »

Are you taking the ferry over from Anacortes to the SJ islands? I'd suggest taking the ferry back through Port Townsend (where Officer & Gentleman was filmed many moons ago) and then down to Bainbridge Island for the ferry into Seattle. Beautiful view of the city coming into dock and right there at the market. Be sure to tour the Market. Don't forget to duck when they throw the fish!

Where are you staying in Seattle?

Drive up to Ecola State Park just north of Cannon Beach for some really nice views back to the city and Haystack Rock.

kibster

• Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 01:53:16 pm »

Are you taking the ferry over from Anacortes to the SJ islands? I'd suggest taking the ferry back through Port Townsend (where Officer & Gentleman was filmed many moons ago) and then down to Bainbridge Island for the ferry into Seattle. Beautiful view of the city coming into dock and right there at the market. Be sure to tour the Market. Don't forget to duck when they throw the fish!

Where are you staying in Seattle?

Drive up to Ecola State Park just north of Cannon Beach for some really nice views back to the city and Haystack Rock.

for the San Juan Islands we are staying at Willows Inn on Lummi Island (which is considered one of the top restaurants in the US and a definite bucket list place for me).  Although I do need to check in to using some of the ferries to get back down to SEA. Our first trip in to Seattle we arrived on the ferry from Bremerton  We are doing an AirBnB place two blocks from the market and I love that area.

We are actually staying in Arch Cape just south of Cannon Beach.  My wife and I got married on that beach a little over nine years ago.  I like Arch Cape because it is really remote and peaceful,  but close enough to Cannon Beach that I can go in to town to eat and "be a tourist" but can get away from tourists when we like.

Boog41

• Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 02:21:16 pm »

Have you been to Canlis?  It was between there and Altura for dinner one night and I am leaning toward Altura.

I will check in to the other two.

Yes, I have eaten at Canlis. Fine dining without being stuffy. Great views also.

HawgWild

• Life is good
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 02:22:00 pm »

You could take the ferry from Port Angeles over to Victoria for "high tea" at the Fairmont! Just kidding.

I was stationed up there in the Army for a couple of years. Loved it. Been back a few times. Can't get enough of the place. Most of my suggestions would take you away from Seattle. There used to be a small theater next to Pike Place Market. We saw "Reefer Madness: The Musical". Crazy play. A few years later it finally made it off Broadway in New York.

kibster

• Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 02:25:46 pm »

You could take the ferry from Port Angeles over to Victoria for "high tea" at the Fairmont! Just kidding.

I was stationed up there in the Army for a couple of years. Loved it. Been back a few times. Can't get enough of the place. Most of my suggestions would take you away from Seattle. There used to be a small theater next to Pike Place Market. We saw "Reefer Madness: The Musical". Crazy play. A few years later it finally made it off Broadway in New York.

I want to hear suggestions away from Seattle!  We like to go off the beaten path.

kibster

• Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 02:28:07 pm »

Yes, I have eaten at Canlis. Fine dining without being stuffy. Great views also.

May see if I can convince the wife to go to Canlis.  For some reason I thought they were closed on Mondays and I would have to pick between Altura and Canlis, but I can swing both now.  Just have to convince her to go to a fifth big ticket meal on the trip.

HawgWild

• Life is good
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 03:01:07 pm »

From Port Townsend you could drive over to Port Angeles and up along Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park. From the top you can see Victoria on a clear day. It's not that much further but a beautiful drive on over to Sol Duc Hot Springs.

Have you ever been to Snoqualmie Falls. It's east of Seattle, about 30 miles. If you're old enough to remember Northern Exposure, it was filmed in Roslyn and that's another 30 miles down the road.

DLUXHOG

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 03:48:35 pm »

Olympic National Park.... do it!   

hawgrunner

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 12:46:28 am »

From Port Townsend you could drive over to Port Angeles and up along Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park. From the top you can see Victoria on a clear day. It's not that much further but a beautiful drive on over to Sol Duc Hot Springs.

Have you ever been to Snoqualmie Falls. It's east of Seattle, about 30 miles. If you're old enough to remember Northern Exposure, it was filmed in Roslyn and that's another 30 miles down the road.

Spent some time up in the area on business working in Bremerton both during summer and winter months I'd have to agree with this very good idea.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 07:22:02 pm »

Skillets on Capital Hill in Seattle is a good place. Not your downtown area eating place. I live in the PNW area, but honestly, not much of a foodie.

Now, if you are looking for hikes or scenic drives, I can give you more than you have time for. However, food wise, I doubt you'll be going down to Salem or Corvallis or Tri-cities Washington. If you can afford the extra time, I'd highly reccomend you at least drive up the Columbia River Gorge from Portland, then cross the river and head up the Rainier, camp there, then go to seattle. That way, you can get some extreme bang for your buck in scenery. Namely, you get to see Portland and the breweries there. Then the rain forest and scenery of the gorge before hitting the eastern NW high desert which is very scenic in it's own right IMO. You get good views of Hood and St. Helens on a clear day, views of the 500+ foot Multnomah falls, then get to see the tallest mountain in the cascaded in Rainier before going back to seattle.

Of course, you turn a 3 hour drive into a 7 hour drive in the process plus whatever stops you want to make.

As for food, find some taco trucks. Better tacos than you can ever find in Arkansas by far. Salmon is to die for up here. Seafood in general is pretty solid. Basically, seafood, asian, and hispanic food are the three staples in the NW. There actually some really good bbq at certain places, but typically in smaller towns.

Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head

• Semi-retired Eponymous Mod Accountability Manager
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 09:22:44 pm »

I want to hear suggestions away from Seattle!  We like to go off the beaten path.

Head down to Portland and hit up the Columbia River gorge. Great hiking trails abound. Also, if you were to make it down to south Oregon, Crater Lake is fantastic.

Pillowhead Jackson

• Hogvillian
  • Will our boys ever get to do this again????
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 02:34:12 pm »

Head down to Portland and hit up the Columbia River gorge. Great hiking trails abound. Also, if you were to make it down to south Oregon, Crater Lake is fantastic.

there's a great breakfast restaurants there, one of the best around. Can't think of the name though..

kibster

• Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 03:42:17 pm »

there's a great breakfast restaurants there, one of the best around. Can't think of the name though..

In the Columbia River Gorge or near crater lake?  I won't get down to Crater Lake, but will be in the Gorge area.

razr70

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 03:06:01 pm »

In Portland we enjoyed Ringside Steakhouse and Mucca Osteria.

BR

• Chaos, panic, & disorder -- my work here is done.
    • BR's Home Page
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 10:31:04 am »

Portland has a ton of great place... Check out some of spots Dinners, Drive Inn's & Dives have went... We have done a lot of them up there, ALL GREAT... A German Rest in Tacoma is freakin awesome, that was on there..  Just google it,iot will give you list of places..

HogHolio

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 02:34:04 pm »

If you are looking for views Portland City grill is a nice restaurant with great views as it is on top floor of one of the buildings. I'd probably hit the bar and happy hour for apps. and then go somewhere else for dinner, as the food doesn't rival the view and is priced like it does. 
Ringside as someone else mentioned is really good, if your looking a little more casual/reasonable and like Italian I'm a fan of Nostrana. To be honest there are a ton of great restaurants in PDX. During the day I always like to hit up the food trucks and get a little variety.

I've stayed at Skamania lodge near Columbia river gorge and enjoyed the stay. Can get in a nice round of golf there as well.  Also a must is on the cascade locks side of the gorge is an ice cream shop (kind of a old school soda fountain shop). They have soft serve ice cream with like a thousand flavors that is a must do. Trust me when I say get the small!  I really am not a big fan of ice cream, but this is worth the experience.

I've only been to cannon beach a couple times and don't remember the food. I will say campfire on the beach is a must though! Nothing better than the cool salty pacific air and a fire on the beach with a cold brew looking at the Goonies monolith... 

theFlyingHog

• The hottie comes back when CMN is head Hog!
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 11:17:46 pm »

I keep hearing about some place with good coffee up there. Starbucks or some such.

I really like Oak Harbor area. Well, I like most of the state from Leavenworth and west. Not easy. I hate east of Leavenworth. I always end up around Pasco and it suuuucks

Cobbler

• Varsity
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 09:43:08 am »

If you haven't already reserved your ferry spot to the San Juans, I would go ahead and do that. Nothing worse than getting stuck for 3-4 hours waiting on a ferry.

https://secureapps.wsdot.wa.gov/Ferries/Reservations/Vehicle/default.aspx

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 02:00:07 am »

How'd the trip go?

kibster

• Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 09:47:39 am »

It was a fantastic trip.  Weather was amazing (high mid 70s, no rain).  Couple nights in Portland, couple nights in our favorite place to stay on the coast (where I watched the Hogs beat TCU with my tv only a couple feet from the beach watching the sunset), a night on Lummi Island for what is considered one of the top destination restaurants in the country, Seattle for a couple nights, then a quick layover in Denver on the way home for a Jason Isbell concert at Red Rocks (I would not recommend a 21 hour visit to a city after 8 nights of travel, exhausting and coupled with all the rental car issues and hotel issues, glad I didn't murder someone).

Food was fantastic.  One of the best meals of my life was in Seattle, real solid food the entire trip.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas