Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 26, 2024, 09:31:51 pm

Let's get everyone on record

Started by Dr. Starcs, April 11, 2016, 03:57:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

C.

Any other coach would have been fired after this year.

SONofHAM

I'm somewhere between F and C. 

With this regime I don't see us ever being better than a mediocre program.  Making the dance every other year(or 1 in 5) doesn't cut it for me. 

However, I realize I can be wrong and proven incorrect.  If it were my decision I would have thought hard about firing him this offseason.  Since he is still here, a great season with at least 2 wins in the SEC tourney and at least a Sweet 16 might be enough to give me hope for the future.
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

ke2743

Quote from: HogBreath on April 11, 2016, 04:23:57 pm
I'll go with E because I know Mike needs time to find players that fit his system.

Lots of time.

Ha.  He's eyeing some real ball handlers that will be in the class of 2031.  Perfect fit for his system.

WOOPIGMAN

He's gone after next year.

YOU'RE AN IDIOT IF YOU THINK OUR PROGRAM IS FINE RIGHT NOW.

HE'S BEEN HERE TOO LONG TO BE EXCUSED FOR 1 NCCA TOURNEY APPEARANCE!

:puke:

Pork Twain

I am more than a little surprised that based on past recruiting results, many still feel that this next class is going to have no issues.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

F.
But I think C or better will win over a lot of people who are on the fence

tasteslikechicken

D. But shouldn't that always be the expectation? I can remember a time growing up in the 90's, where I didn't even realize it was possible to not make the tournament. Sobering how far we've fallen.

D. Though I fear it would take two more seasons with no tourney for him to be gone.

hogsmash12

rude1

D. Get to the tournament, have some stability with the roster and recruiting where going into the next season we should be a tourney team and projected to be for a few years in a row. Winning a game would be great but in the big dance one bad matchup can get you sent home, there were some awfully good teams and programs who didn't win a game this past tourney.

bhogs05

C but I highly doubt that will happen.  I think we'll be a bubble team if Moses comes back and if he doesn't then we are screwed.  I just don't think ALL 3 of the JUCO guys are going to light it up like some people think.  Barford will probably be legit but the others will probably be a work in progress.  No NCAA tourney next year and Mike should be gone...6 years is plenty of time to show what you can do.

intelligence

Quote from: WOOPIGMAN on April 12, 2016, 08:47:50 am
He's gone after next year.

YOU'RE AN IDIOT IF YOU THINK OUR PROGRAM IS FINE RIGHT NOW.

HE'S BEEN HERE TOO LONG TO BE EXCUSED FOR 1 NCCA TOURNEY APPEARANCE!

:puke:

calm down shortman, you don't want a cardiac infarction

Hawg Red

Need to make the tournament AND win at least one game. Just making the tournament will likely be enough to get Mike back on the right track with Long, though. I stop short of declaring that they need to go to at least the Sweet 16. I'm not sure that's logical. Lot of newcomers on the roster. Hell, I might even be expecting too much by saying they need to win a game (but, man, they really need to win a game at least). But if Barford and Macon are as advertised, and Moses is back, they really need to make the most of that talent.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 12, 2016, 12:36:39 pm
Need to make the tournament AND win at least one game. Just making the tournament will likely be enough to get Mike back on the right track with Long, though. I stop short of declaring that they need to go to at least the Sweet 16. I'm not sure that's logical. Lot of newcomers on the roster. Hell, I might even be expecting too much by saying they need to win a game (but, man, they really need to win a game at least). But if Barford and Macon are as advertised, and Moses is back, they really need to make the most of that talent.
Jeff Long has already said that Mike is on track for the next few years.  So this thread and the others that are trying to hang Mike out to dry, need to pump the brakes.  You're just wasting your time.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Richard_white

With or without Moses he needs to go to the NCAA Tournament and win a game or two.  I really want to support MA but if he fails then even firing an assistant or two is too little too late.  Getting a younger or better recruiter should have been done after this season.

Hogs33

D. No excuse why Arkansas shouldn't be making the NCAA tourney coming from a weak SEC conference. We should be wrecking everybody in conference most years with the exception of Kentucky.
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: rude1 on April 12, 2016, 12:30:02 pm
D. Get to the tournament, have some stability with the roster and recruiting where going into the next season we should be a tourney team and projected to be for a few years in a row. Winning a game would be great but in the big dance one bad matchup can get you sent home, there were some awfully good teams and programs who didn't win a game this past tourney.

This is the best assessment on winning in the big dance being a factor.  Some very subpar coaches have caught lightning in a bottle made a great tourney run and parlayed that into a big job where they fizzled (cough Stan Heath cough).

It's getting to the dance on a regular basis that matters. 

I like Mike and he had positive momentum and trend until this year.  I'm in his corner and think he will get back to the dance next year and years after that.  If for whatever reason the team fails to achieve that next year, I would hate it for Mike and the program but would understand the need to make a change.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on April 12, 2016, 12:54:27 pm
Jeff Long has already said that Mike is on track for the next few years.  So this thread and the others that are trying to hang Mike out to dry, need to pump the brakes.  You're just wasting your time.
Yes because ADs ALWAYS tell the public what they really think about a coach all the way up till they fire them.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on April 12, 2016, 12:54:27 pm

Excuse me, partner?

Anyway, last I heard, Long said that we should be able to make the NCAA tournament and sustain it going forward. If Mike fails to do that, I don't think he's going to be on track.

bhogs05

Mike needs to get some better basketball players..guys that can really shoot the basketball..rebound the basketball, steal the basketball, protect the basketball, pass the basketball...if he can do that then we might finally have a good basketball team. 

phadedhawg

D.  Big dance appearance

But we need to go back to back to back.  Having two tourney years followed by 3 years of no post season is what's killing me the last 20 years of Hawg ball

hawgwileywyatt

gmarv

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 12, 2016, 01:22:09 pm
This is the best assessment on winning in the big dance being a factor.  Some very subpar coaches have caught lightning in a bottle made a great tourney run and parlayed that into a big job where they fizzled (cough Stan Heath cough).

I like Mike and he had positive momentum and trend until this year.  I'm in his corner and think he will get back to the dance next year and years after that.  If for whatever reason the team fails to achieve that next year, I would hate it for Mike and the program but would understand the need to make a change.
well said.

hawgwileywyatt

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 12, 2016, 01:22:09 pm

I agree with this assessment. If Mike can't make the dance next year, it is his fault and he will be held accountable by possibly losing his job. I am rooting for Mike though.

Breems

Grading the season on tournament wins is a double-edged sword.

On one hand, it's all any of us really care about, but no team is immune to upsets and bad match-ups that send you home early as rude1 said above.

I'm hoping for a great season with a lot of wins and a finish in the top 4 at minimum with decent seeding in the Big Dance. I want to be solidly in prior to conference tournaments.

Sweet Sixteen leaves me completely satisfied. Round of 32 puts my mind at ease. First round exit puts my support of Coach A on life support. NIT or missing the Big Dance means pitchforks.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Ironhawg

Quote from: Breems on April 12, 2016, 08:27:00 pm

I'm hoping for a great season with a lot of wins and a finish in the top 4 at minimum with decent seeding in the Big Dance. I want to be solidly in prior to conference tournaments.

Sweet Sixteen leaves me completely satisfied. Round of 32 puts my mind at ease. First round exit puts my support of Coach A on life support. NIT or missing the Big Dance means pitchforks.

This sounds good to me.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 12, 2016, 09:30:31 pm
Just [CENSORED] kill Jump Ball if every thread is heading here.

All y'all have to do is figure out how to have a civil discussion about Mike Anderson, and there won't even be a need for a mod in Jump Ball. Seems pretty simple.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 12, 2016, 09:35:03 pm
All y'all have to do is figure out how to have a civil discussion about Mike Anderson, and there won't even be a need for a mod in Jump Ball. Seems pretty simple.

ya'll?

It was one [CENSORED] poster in the thread you started.  I get what you are trying to do but you are taking it too far.  Moderate the exceptions.  That is simple.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

SONofHAM

This thread seemed like a good discussion.  Why is everything moved here?
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Dropkick

D, same thing as I would give him for a grade on his 5 yrs here.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 12, 2016, 09:35:03 pm
It is the one liner hate comments that typically are killing the discussions. MA's most staunchest supporters aren't really that out of hand at this point. It is the Sivad's, the Hobhog's, etc that are ruining it. They do nothing to further the discussion and simply put a one line hate comment and move along. I can tolerate even the most one sided like Kevin, Hogsanity b/c they are actually trying to make a point instead of just pure one liner stupidity. Now why you guys are afraid of giving a vaca to someone like Hobhog? That's another topic I suppose. But it would help JB tremendously.

Atl's right in this instance.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BBsTheMan on April 13, 2016, 03:32:15 am
It is the one liner hate comments that typically are killing the discussions. MA's most staunchest supporters aren't really that out of hand at this point. It is the Sivad's, the Hobhog's, etc that are ruining it. They do nothing to further the discussion and simply put a one line hate comment and move along. I can tolerate even the most one sided like Kevin, Hogsanity b/c they are actually trying to make a point instead of just pure one liner stupidity. Now why you guys are afraid of giving a vaca to someone like Hobhog? That's another topic I suppose. But it would help JB tremendously.

Atl's right in this instance.

TY :)

HotlantaHog

D -- though it would be nice if the Hogs were a solid NCAA team and didn't just barely make the tourney as a bubble team or make the play-in games. Not sure that wins in the NCAA have to be there ... teams lose! Kentucky loses, Kansas loses, Michigan State loses... over time even the best coached teams lose in the tourney, sometimes in the first round. Would be more impressed by a high seed, which should lead to a win or two (though nothing is guaranteed once you get to the Dance.)

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HotlantaHog on April 13, 2016, 09:56:51 am
D -- though it would be nice if the Hogs were a solid NCAA team and didn't just barely make the tourney as a bubble team or make the play-in games. Not sure that wins in the NCAA have to be there ... teams lose! Kentucky loses, Kansas loses, Michigan State loses... over time even the best coached teams lose in the tourney, sometimes in the first round. Would be more impressed by a high seed, which should lead to a win or two (though nothing is guaranteed once you get to the Dance.)

I agree.  Winning depends on matchups and if an opponent gets hot, foul trouble, injury,.... Things happen although winning in the NCAAT needs to start at some point.  But being in the Last 4 or bubble discussion shouldn't be too acceptable.  Seed should be high enough to where winning a game or two wouldn't be huge surprises or upsets.  We have figured out the non conf thing apparently as far as scheduling numbers, even though it has done nothing for branding or excitement, to overcome what the SEC is.