Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

True expectations being a hog/ hog fan

Started by Dirttrackhog, January 30, 2016, 04:00:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeOfPork

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on February 01, 2016, 12:21:59 pm
I hear you, but those are the facts.  I have never understood why Arkansas has such a difficult time convincing recruits to come to Fayetteville. 

It's not surprising.

Go look at how many SEC-quality players come from the state of Arkansas and compare that to the states we're competing against.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 01, 2016, 07:54:15 am
Since 1992, our SEC record is 91-107-2 for a winning percentage of .4600
Since 1992, our OVERALL record is 160-131-2 for a winning percentage of .5460

That's pretty sad.

Nutt was here for 10 years  and we had clusterflap season with Smile.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

root_hawg

I am going to get killed for this but here goes:  for one we don't need to be in the SEC, we do not have the recruiting base to compete with a good number of teams in the SEC.  In fact, we probably have the smallest recruiting base of any of the SEC West schools.  It doesn't matter who you have coaching, it is all about the Jimmy and the Joes.  You have to have the horses to run the race and we do not have the base to fill the barn the way a Auburn, Alabama, LSU and even an Ole Miss do in terms of recruiting base.  We would have a better time competing in the ACC or the Big 12.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 01, 2016, 12:51:06 pm
So where does our secondary rank in terms of talent?  I'm guessing that you have gone through that exercise?

Who know, every single recruit we get is hyped so much and we always think the next group is gonna be the one.   Thought that the last two years.  I mentioned stars and I do believe we get the same stars team wide as a lot of other teams do(talking of secondary players).  I also know stars aren't everything.  My question is, what is it that seemly has our secondary underperforming compared to a lot of teams that don't get any better rated players than we do.

It can only be two things...coaching, evaluation, or both.

I'm not an expert just going off what I've seen as a Razorback fan for 58 years. 

DukeOfPork

Quote from: root_hawg on February 01, 2016, 01:02:49 pm
I am going to get killed for this but here goes:  for one we don't need to be in the SEC, we do not have the recruiting base to compete with a good number of teams in the SEC.  In fact, we probably have the smallest recruiting base of any of the SEC West schools.  It doesn't matter who you have coaching, it is all about the Jimmy and the Joes.  You have to have the horses to run the race and we do not have the base to fill the barn the way a Auburn, Alabama, LSU and even an Ole Miss do in terms of recruiting base.  We would have a better time competing in the ACC or the Big 12.

Well, we aren't leaving the SEC, but otherwise I agree with you: recruiting is a huge disadvantage at Arkansas.

We usually finish 6th or 7th in the West in recruiting.  But if we were in the East, we would be finishing 3rd or 4th in recruiting every year, which would be a huge help.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 01, 2016, 01:07:46 pm
Who know, every single recruit we get is hyped so much and we always think the next group is gonna be the one.   Thought that the last two years.  I mentioned stars and I do believe we get the same stars team wide as a lot of other teams do(talking of secondary players).  I also know stars aren't everything.  My question is, what is it that seemly has our secondary underperforming compared to a lot of teams that don't get any better rated players than we do.

It can only be two things...coaching, evaluation, or both.

I'm not an expert just going off what I've seen as a Razorback fan for 58 years. 

Okay, if you're working off the assumption that we are getting secondary talent that is equal to our rivals, then I have to stop you right there.  Because we are definitely NOT getting secondary talent that is even remotely on the same level as our rivals.

And it is happening again this week.  This class is severely lacking in defensive back talent, while the top teams in the SEC are hauling them in.

So your idea that we are "underperforming" simply isn't true.  We are getting beat in February every year and that translates to the field every Fall.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 01, 2016, 01:11:30 pm
Okay, if you're working off the assumption that we are getting secondary talent that is equal to our rivals, then I have to stop you right there.  Because we are definitely NOT getting secondary talent that is even remotely on the same level as our rivals.

And it is happening again this week.  This class is severely lacking in defensive back talent, while the top teams in the SEC are hauling them in.

So your idea that we are "underperforming" simply isn't true.  We are getting beat in February every year and that translates to the field every Fall.

The problem is, you think I'm talking about the upper tier teams in the conference.  I'm not, I'm talking about the teams that are getting the same type players we do.  Our secondary doesn't even perform with them.

RME

Quote from: root_hawg on February 01, 2016, 01:02:49 pm

You're going to get blasted by the SEC homers for sure. But, in maybe not such strong language ("don't need to be to be in the SEC" may be a taaad strong), I do somewhat agree with you. I'm an Arkansas fan first and foremost. Arkansas will always have a tough time recruiting in the West, and winning in years that Alabama and LSU are at their best will be extremely tough. Just look at 2010. It's not pessimism, it's how it is. That being said, I love being in the SEC. The competition, the culture, the prestige of the conference is all great to me. I don't shy away from competition, and beating the best is the best feeling in the world.

But.

If Arkansas were in another P5 conference and consistently having 10-win seasons, competing for conference championships and thus spots in the playoff, you wouldn't find me complaining. I'm an Arkansas fan. I love the SEC, but I love Arkansas more. I don't care what the media says about the SEC being down or whatever crap they say to get attention. I want Arkansas to win football games.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 01, 2016, 01:16:52 pm
The problem is, you think I'm talking about the upper tier teams in the conference.  I'm not, I'm talking about the teams that are getting the same type players we do.  Our secondary doesn't even perform with them.

Well, we need to compile that information to have that discussion.  I'm sure that Ole Miss and Auburn are outrecruiting us in that position.  But is Mississippi State?  Probably not.  A&M?  I'm not sure.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 01, 2016, 01:28:55 pm
Well, we need to compile that information to have that discussion.  I'm sure that Ole Miss and Auburn are outrecruiting us in that position.  But is Mississippi State?  Probably not.  A&M?  I'm not sure.

I mentioned Vanderbilt, I remember back when we played them during CBP years I would have traded straight across for their secondary players.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 01, 2016, 01:33:55 pm
I mentioned Vanderbilt, I remember back when we played them during CBP years I would have traded straight across for their secondary players.

Well, Petrino was not a particularly good recruiter and he always hoarded the talent on the offensive side of the ball.  I think we had one decent defense in BP's four years.  And so far, one decent defense in Bielema's three years.

Cinco de Hogo

Here is my hope and others say it, as we get better linemen, and it seems we are each year improving, it will take pressure off the secondary.  LBers...we'll see.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 01, 2016, 01:43:27 pm
Here is my hope and others say it, as we get better linemen, and it seems we are each year improving, it will take pressure off the secondary.  LBers...we'll see.

Well, first, we need to actually get better linemen.

Agim certainly fits this description.  Who else?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 01, 2016, 01:46:18 pm

Jackson, those two may represent the two best to ever come out of Arkansas.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 01, 2016, 01:46:18 pm

Capps. Guidry.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 01, 2016, 01:57:35 pm
Jackson, those two may represent the two best to ever come out of Arkansas.

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on February 01, 2016, 02:04:13 pm
Capps. Guidry.

True.  D-line should become a strength of this team in the next couple of seasons.

Stars do matter.

Hogwild

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 01, 2016, 12:58:25 pm

There is a lot you can say about Nutt, but his numbers are above the average for an Arkansas coach during that period. 

Without Nutt's 10 seasons:

Overall 85-83, 49-69 in SEC play.

westside_player

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 01, 2016, 12:58:25 pm

And 50 years from now you'll look back and Nutt will be the only coach that will have had a winning conference record here at 42-38. Petrino may have but he accomplished what he did with Nutt's players and wasn't here long enough to know what he could have done years 5-10 but when you look at his pitiful recruiting after he left it stands to reason he wasn't gonna be a 500 SEC coach either.

That's why people that understood football were telling the "I have to have a new coach" crowd that you were making a mistake running off Nutt.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

February 01, 2016, 06:27:36 pm #68 Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:05:46 pm by SooiecidetillNuttgone
Quote from: westside_player on February 01, 2016, 05:57:44 pm
And 50 years from now you'll look back and Nutt will be the only coach that will have had a winning conference record here at 42-38. Petrino may have but he accomplished what he did with Nutt's players and wasn't here long enough to know what he could have done years 5-10 but when you look at his pitiful recruiting after he left it stands to reason he wasn't gonna be a 500 SEC coach either.

That's why people that understood football were telling the "I have to have a new coach" crowd that you were making a mistake running off Nutt.

Is it too early to vote this post as the finest example of craziness for 2016?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

root_hawg

Nutt also didn't have to play the dark empire of Bama, it was doing their down turn

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 31, 2016, 10:08:19 pm
Good Lord, I've lowered my expectations over the years, but not by that much. It may take a miracle or three but it could happen.

I was being sarcastic.  We are about to come up on the 25th year in the sec. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

westside_player

Quote from: root_hawg on February 01, 2016, 06:31:46 pm
Nutt also didn't have to play the dark empire of Bama, it was doing their down turn

I think Nutt was 5-5 against bama. Even if you make him 0-10 against Bama he would still have a better SEC winning percentage then we have had historically.

But the argument doesn't hold much water b/c with Alabama being stronger the last 7 years under Saban, it's made the other SEC teams weaker b/c Alabama has cherry picked more of the regional talent. LSU, Auburn, Georgia, in particular is where Nutt would have had other wins the last 7 years to compensate if you pencil him in for 0-7 against Bama. Then you know Nutt was something like 16-4 against the Mississippi's and I would assume he could have a win against the Aggies.  We can't get by the Mississippi's very easy any more either.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: westside_player on February 01, 2016, 08:11:12 pm
I think Nutt was 5-5 against bama. Even if you make him 0-10 against Bama he would still have a better SEC winning percentage then we have had historically.

But the argument doesn't hold much water b/c with Alabama being stronger the last 7 years under Saban, it's made the other SEC teams weaker b/c Alabama has cherry picked more of the regional talent. LSU, Auburn, Georgia, in particular is where Nutt would have had other wins the last 7 years to compensate if you pencil him in for 0-7 against Bama. Then you know Nutt was something like 16-4 against the Mississippi's and I would assume he could have a win against the Aggies.  We can't get by the Mississippi's very easy any more either.

The SECW was the weaker side of the conference all during Nutts regime and there is no disputing that.  It's almost like comparing apples and oranges.  If your trying to tell us Nutt would fare as well against today's schedule.....crazy!

westside_player

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 01, 2016, 08:17:52 pm
The SECW was the weaker side of the conference all during Nutts regime and there is no disputing that.  It's almost like comparing apples and oranges.  If your trying to tell us Nutt would fare as well against today's schedule.....crazy!

Yes the SECW was weaker than the East back then but what did the east have? Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee that most years any of those 3 were winning the East. But you could make an argument that the bottom 3 of the east was weaker then than the bottom 3 of the West.  I think Nutt would have kept control over the Aggies, the Mississippi's and Missouri of today, stayed 50/50 against LSU (who's slacked since 2011) and Auburn.
And been 0-7 against Bama.

So had Nutt stayed here and been supported all this time we would likely have about 8-13 more conference wins the last 8 years by my theories.  I do think we had 2 wins in Petrino's stretch that Nutt would not of had but a few more losses.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: westside_player on February 01, 2016, 08:32:26 pm
Yes the SECW was weaker than the East back then but what did the east have? Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee that most years any of those 3 were winning the East. But you could make an argument that the bottom 3 of the east was weaker then than the bottom 3 of the West.  I think Nutt would have kept control over the Aggies, the Mississippi's and Missouri of today, stayed 50/50 against LSU (who's slacked since 2011) and Auburn.

So had Nutt stayed here and been supported all this time we would likely have about 8-13 more conference wins the last 8 years by my theories.  I do think we had 2 wins in Petrino's stretch that Nutt would not of had but a few more losses.

I could say if we had keep Petrino we would avg 10 win per year too but what does it matter.  Neither one had the support to keep their job.  Both were dumpster fires is different ways but both because of their personalities.

Deep Shoat, Ill ponder why I keep pretending to be a fan while you ponder why you just keep pretending, period.

root_hawg

Bobby P hasn't even hit 10 wins in the weak ACC so no he wouldn't have averaged 10 wins in the SEC.    My expectations are for 7-9 wins regularly in the SEC West with perhaps 1 out of 10 seasons where we eclipse that number.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 01, 2016, 07:54:15 am
Since 1992, our SEC record is 91-107-2 for a winning percentage of .4600
Since 1992, our OVERALL record is 160-131-2 for a winning percentage of .5460

That's pretty sad.

Let's bring a little perspective to this and realize the long time period of suckage was in the first 6 years in the league. From 92-97 had one winning season and one bowl game.  1 in 6 years.  That's going to a bowl game 16.7% of the time.

From 1998 to 2015 we have been to 13 bowl games in 18 years. That's 72% of the time.

Both Nutt and Petrino made runs but just couldn't get over the hump and in some ways couldn't get over themselves.  Nutt in 98 and 06 and Petrino in 2010, 2011. 

As popular and/or unpopular as those two were or may have been now, both did things to add to the foundation. Nutt finally got us winning in the SEC and that excitement was in large part responsible for many of the facility upgrades in the early part of his tenure.

Petrino showed Arkansas can attract name coaches, produce high flying offenses, created new buzz, and took Arkansas to BCS bowl. 

Although the Motorcycle/John L lost year made Bielema's short term job a bit harder the success of his two predecessors in some ways makes his job easier in that he is not doing the impossible.  He is improving on the previous two just like they improved on the one's before them. 

While we have had some unexplainable or very disappointing losses the past two years we have also had unimaginable wins, and an improving record each year.  This staff has done nothing to indicate that the program is moving in any direction except forward.

The unabashed negativity of mediocre outlook of some is just sad.  I wonder what miserable little lives full of disappointment they must have to project such negativity on a program that they supposedly support as fans.  I can just hear the refrain "I am a fan, but I'm a realist"  Well then you are not really a fan, because being a fan isn't always grounded in being a realist or expecting mediocrity because that's what you perceive the program has been.  If that was being a fan it wouldn't be called being a fan you know a derivate of fanatic.  Being a fan is often about hope, about community, pulling together, cheering on the team when you are an underdog, not expecting failure but giving support those that are trying their best to overcome it, and doing it in a positive manner, because nothing great or unexpected ever came from negativity. 

If you recruit good kids, hire good coaches and put a solid plan together the wins will come.  After the last 2 coaches all I really ask or expect of the current coaches is keep doing what you are doing and don't put yourself, whether if be your ego, need for love and validation or need for a handy from a volleyball player ahead of the program.  If either of the past 2 had stuck to that philosophy we'd most likely kept a long term positive trend without the embarrassing spectacles and setbacks.  I think the current coach is secure enough in himself and in his hot wife to avoid those pitfalls.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: westside_player on February 01, 2016, 08:32:26 pm

We may or may not win big with BB or whoever follows him.

We'd NEVER win big with King Clown.

He wasn't big time D1 coaching material.  I'm not going to list his shortcomings.  It's been done ad nauseam because there's plenty of failings to list.

I have a buddy that follows UGA.  His opinion of King Clown is the same as ours of Les Miles.  Loved to laugh at him.  Thought our program was fine with him because he didn't wnt us to be stiffer competition. Never wanted to see him leave , lest a sleeping giant be awoken.

Now BP.......He wanted him to leave for greener pastures almost immediately.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

I've paid attention to the Hogs since about 1962.  I knew us when we really were pretty good and didn't need other teams to crash for us to LOOK good.  We were likely pretty good due to circumstances of the time period and we are likely pretty bad now due to time period and circumstances.

So since being in the SEC, 23 years we've won 46 percent of our conference games and won 54.6 percent overall or a little better than where BB has us right now.  Think about this.  In the era of 12 game seasons, we usually have 4 rent a wins at home each year.  In fairness, that has not been so recently.  But overall, that is a true statement and we've won over 95 percent of those games.  So against our peers, we stink.
We spend millions on coaches, facilities, equipment and such and we can't really break .500 against folks our size over a 23 year period. 

Did you get that Deep Shoat???   But we are gonna win 9-10-11 games real often when?  I will offer up the truth again.  We need a coaching staff that can really recruit successfully Nationwide and that is something we've NEVER had.  We need a staff that can coach lights out in practice and on gameday. and that is very difficult to get.  We need the Elite of our conference to all have a down year at the same time while we are having a very good year.  Put all that together and we done got us a conference championship.  To tell the truth does not mean I am a bad fan, just an honest one.  I still love the Hogs.

root_hawg

Quote from: 12247 on February 01, 2016, 09:27:42 pm
I've paid attention to the Hogs since about 1962.  I knew us when we really were pretty good and didn't need other teams to crash for us to LOOK good.  We were likely pretty good due to circumstances of the time period and we are likely pretty bad now due to time period and circumstances.

So since being in the SEC, 23 years we've won 46 percent of our conference games and won 54.6 percent overall or a little better than where BB has us right now.  Think about this.  In the era of 12 game seasons, we usually have 4 rent a wins at home each year.  In fairness, that has not been so recently.  But overall, that is a true statement and we've won over 95 percent of those games.  So against our peers, we stink.
We spend millions on coaches, facilities, equipment and such and we can't really break .500 against folks our size over a 23 year period. 

Did you get that Deep Shoat???   But we are gonna win 9-10-11 games real often when?  I will offer up the truth again.  We need a coaching staff that can really recruit successfully Nationwide and that is something we've NEVER had.  We need a staff that can coach lights out in practice and on gameday. and that is very difficult to get.  We need the Elite of our conference to all have a down year at the same time while we are having a very good year.  Put all that together and we done got us a conference championship.  To tell the truth does not mean I am a bad fan, just an honest one.  I still love the Hogs.

Speaketh the truth

Nutt had 10 seasons and a very good base of players to start with and was playing in a much weaker SECW.  Nutt rarely played a strong team OOC.  We will never know how Nutt would have fared against the SECW the past 6 or 7 years and I am so glad for that.

westside_player

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 01, 2016, 09:11:33 pm
Let's bring a little perspective to this and realize the long time period of suckage was in the first 6 years in the league. From 92-97 had one winning season and one bowl game.  1 in 6 years.  That's going to a bowl game 16.7% of the time.

From 1998 to 2015 we have been to 13 bowl games in 18 years. That's 72% of the time.

Both Nutt and Petrino made runs but just couldn't get over the hump and in some ways couldn't get over themselves.  Nutt in 98 and 06 and Petrino in 2010, 2011. 

As popular and/or unpopular as those two were or may have been now, both did things to add to the foundation. Nutt finally got us winning in the SEC and that excitement was in large part responsible for many of the facility upgrades in the early part of his tenure.

Petrino showed Arkansas can attract name coaches, produce high flying offenses, created new buzz, and took Arkansas to BCS bowl. 

Although the Motorcycle/John L lost year made Bielema's short term job a bit harder the success of his two predecessors in some ways makes his job easier in that he is not doing the impossible.  He is improving on the previous two just like they improved on the one's before them. 

While we have had some unexplainable or very disappointing losses the past two years we have also had unimaginable wins, and an improving record each year.  This staff has done nothing to indicate that the program is moving in any direction except forward.

The unabashed negativity of mediocre outlook of some is just sad.  I wonder what miserable little lives full of disappointment they must have to project such negativity on a program that they supposedly support as fans.  I can just hear the refrain "I am a fan, but I'm a realist"  Well then you are not really a fan, because being a fan isn't always grounded in being a realist or expecting mediocrity because that's what you perceive the program has been.  If that was being a fan it wouldn't be called being a fan you know a derivate of fanatic.  Being a fan is often about hope, about community, pulling together, cheering on the team when you are an underdog, not expecting failure but giving support those that are trying their best to overcome it, and doing it in a positive manner, because nothing great or unexpected ever came from negativity. 

If you recruit good kids, hire good coaches and put a solid plan together the wins will come.  After the last 2 coaches all I really ask or expect of the current coaches is keep doing what you are doing and don't put yourself, whether if be your ego, need for love and validation or need for a handy from a volleyball player ahead of the program.  If either of the past 2 had stuck to that philosophy we'd most likely kept a long term positive trend without the embarrassing spectacles and setbacks.  I think the current coach is secure enough in himself and in his hot wife to avoid those pitfalls.

I take a couple different points of view in a couple things you say. I think the mediocre outlook of the realists doesn't mean they aren't true fans. It means they realize or are starting to realize this program is likely never to go through LSU, Auburn, Alabama, A&M, the Mississippi schools, and whoever is good in the East all in the same season. True fans are ones who just want to watch each game because they think they have a chance to win. They want to enter the season thinking there is a chance for a top tier bowl game and after any loss, the chance to make the best bowl game possible at that point.

True fans are not the ones who think there needs to be a new coach every 4 or 5 years if 10 wins isn't accomplished, or if the SEC-W title isn't accomplished. As far as Bielema goes, one of 2 things will likely happen with him in the next few years; A.) he wins enough to land a better gig, or catches lightening in a bottle one year to, B.) he doesn't win enough to keep fans happy and it gets turned in to another Nutt fiasco quicker than 10 years.  I think if it's A, he's the type that will jump ship in a heartbeat because he has no ties here.

By the way, the Petrino hire wasn't really a "name" coach hire at that point, it was more of a "baggage, poor reputation" hire.  And he proved more of his poor reputation while here.

bphi11ips

Kansas City
Tulsa
Oklahoma City
Dallas
Northeast Texas
Memphis
St. Louis
Arkansas

That's not a bad recruiting base.  I not scare.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

westside_player

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 01, 2016, 09:53:20 pm
Kansas City
Tulsa
Oklahoma City
Dallas
Northeast Texas
Memphis
St. Louis
Arkansas

That's not a bad recruiting base.  I not scare.

With the exception of Dallas those area's don't produce many SEC caliber players. The pecking order to get those players is usually going to be Tennessee or Ole Miss for Memphis, Missouri for St Louis, and the Big12 or A&M for the Big12 states.

bphi11ips

Quote from: westside_player on February 01, 2016, 10:11:13 pm
With the exception of Dallas those area's don't produce many SEC caliber players. The pecking order to get those players is usually going to be Tennessee or Ole Miss for Memphis, Missouri for St Louis, and the Big12 or A&M for the Big12 states.

Peck away. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: 12247 on January 31, 2016, 07:33:58 pm
Ya know, find someone who doesn't know anything about football and I don't mean the typical Hogvillian, which might qualify.  I mean someone who doesn't care and is just searching for the facts.  Let that person learn all about our history for the past 80 years.  Apply our past 80 years to project the next 20 years and look at what we are instead of what we would like to be. 

Don't get peed off when someone like myself throws in the truth.  If you choose to ignore facts, turn wishes into will happens and feel good about yourself, then have a fit.  Even I realize there isn't a Santa Claus but I still enjoy Kids believing, not so much adults.

So, if that's the case, then how do you explain 2010 and 2011 under Petrino?  You sound like someone with perpetual piss in their oatmeal.  Yes, I realize he benefited from some banner in-state recruits during his time here, but it PROVED without a doubt that we CAN compete at the highest levels. 

I can't stand Petrino, but you can't ignore the fact that with the right player mix, it's not nearly as gloom and doom as you're painting it. 

That being said, it will ALWAYS be done from an underdog role to some extent, even if BB managed to corral some top recruiting classes, simply because comparatively speaking, our state puts us at a disadvantage population wise.  More numbers, more chances...simple math.  It's a big reason why FV and BV have had a stranglehold on the 7A championship for what seems like forever now.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: westside_player on February 01, 2016, 09:50:53 pm
I take a couple different points of view in a couple things you say. I think the mediocre outlook of the realists doesn't mean they aren't true fans. It means they realize or are starting to realize this program is likely never to go through LSU, Auburn, Alabama, A&M, the Mississippi schools, and whoever is good in the East all in the same season. True fans are ones who just want to watch each game because they think they have a chance to win. They want to enter the season thinking there is a chance for a top tier bowl game and after any loss, the chance to make the best bowl game possible at that point.

True fans are not the ones who think there needs to be a new coach every 4 or 5 years if 10 wins isn't accomplished, or if the SEC-W title isn't accomplished. As far as Bielema goes, one of 2 things will likely happen with him in the next few years; A.) he wins enough to land a better gig, or catches lightening in a bottle one year to, B.) he doesn't win enough to keep fans happy and it gets turned in to another Nutt fiasco quicker than 10 years.  I think if it's A, he's the type that will jump ship in a heartbeat because he has no ties here.

By the way, the Petrino hire wasn't really a "name" coach hire at that point, it was more of a "baggage, poor reputation" hire.  And he proved more of his poor reputation while here.

I don't understand the people that believe any of our coaches will become another King Clown.

He became vilified through a lot more than his W-L record.

For example:
His antics (to list them all would require a team of typists) and how he played up to Broyles and the fiasco that played out when he had the Springdale 5.  How he took back the offense and more than likely ruined the end of that season didn't exactly sit well either.

No.  BB would have to become something he doesn't seem to be for that kind of maelstrom to hit him.

An egomaniacal idiot.
His response to me:

mhsbc59

I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

root_hawg

2010 finished tied 2nd in conference, 2011 finished 3rd in the conference and the top 2 teams beat us by a combined 7 TDs.  Yes we beat the others but were we getting any closer to the elite programs?

Biggus Piggus

Uh, nope. That's absolutely as far from the truth as you could get. Nutt was given charitable treatment when he was not fired in 2004-05. He earned a firing in 2007 due to  underperformance, and still the administration was charitable to him. If Nutt had remained coach, the Hogs would have had a miserable 2008 (much worse than Petrino's 5-7) + lost a bunch of great in-state talent + been set up for more losing for years to come, under whichever coach could be dragged in to clean up the mess.
[CENSORED]!

GTOWNHOG

Nutt's SEC record was 43-41 or .5119.  Nutt's record against the SEC powers of Bama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, & LSU was 14-24 or .3684.  Add Tennessee in to the mix and Nutt's record was 16-29 or .3555.    He was a VERY mediocre coach.

He destroyed Ole Miss' program in 4 years.  They fired him.  Since then, he has been unalbe to get a coaching job.

I, for one, am glad that we FINALLY got rid of him.
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

DeltaBoy

History tells me we can expect to win the SEC West 3 times every 10 years, the SEC once every 10 years and win 7-10 bowl games every 10 years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 02, 2016, 01:55:14 pm
History tells me we can expect to win the SEC West 3 times every 10 years, the SEC once every 10 years and win 7-10 bowl games every 10 years.

Uhh, that was our SWC history good sir. Nothing remotely similar since 1992.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 02, 2016, 01:55:14 pm

Good God.

Somebody go check on DB.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on February 02, 2016, 02:23:10 pm
Uhh, that was our SWC history good sir. Nothing remotely similar since 1992.
Nutt won the West 2 or 3 times so it possible cause Nutt was a MOTHO!

Add on Curles screwed us in the SEC title game with the Gators.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 02, 2016, 02:56:30 pm
Nutt won the West 2 or 3 times so it possible cause Nutt was a MOTHO!

Add on Curles screwed us in the SEC title game with the Gators.

If we had THAT SEC West nowadays, Bielema may have made it to Atlanta this year.

This is a completely different division now.

I used to EXPECT to beat Bama back in those days.

westside_player

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 02, 2016, 03:11:06 pm
If we had THAT SEC West nowadays, Bielema may have made it to Atlanta this year.

This is a completely different division now.

I used to EXPECT to beat Bama back in those days.

You can't jump to that conclusion when he can't even beat Toledo, Texas Tech or the Texas Aggies. And he would not have gone to Atlanta over Alabama.

westside_player

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 02, 2016, 10:39:33 am
Uh, nope. That's absolutely as far from the truth as you could get. Nutt was given charitable treatment when he was not fired in 2004-05. He earned a firing in 2007 due to  underperformance, and still the administration was charitable to him. If Nutt had remained coach, the Hogs would have had a miserable 2008 (much worse than Petrino's 5-7) + lost a bunch of great in-state talent + been set up for more losing for years to come, under whichever coach could be dragged in to clean up the mess.

People made it about things outside of football when it didn't have to be because they thought making a change would have brought more wins. People assumed 8-4 and a 4-4 conference record was a poor year but history tells us and will continue to tell us, .500 in the conference at Arkansas is very good, no matter who's coaching.  Nutt would have likely been 6-6 to 7-5 in 2008, and had a productive Michael Dyer among others to keep things steady.

westside_player

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on February 02, 2016, 11:47:38 am
Nutt's SEC record was 43-41 or .5119.  Nutt's record against the SEC powers of Bama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, & LSU was 14-24 or .3684.  Add Tennessee in to the mix and Nutt's record was 16-29 or .3555.    He was a VERY mediocre coach.

He destroyed Ole Miss' program in 4 years.  They fired him.  Since then, he has been unalbe to get a coaching job.

I, for one, am glad that we FINALLY got rid of him.

His record was 42-38 in regular season conference games. You can't really compare the SECCG losses to this discussion because we haven't been to the title game since he's been gone. So be sure and make note of that.  I think 16-29 against the "powers" of the SEC when your at the 8th or 9th ranked school out of 12 at the time, in terms of recruiting and resources is very respectable. He was 4-6 against LSU, 5-5 against Alabama, and 5-5 against Auburn. That is a miracle. You can't expect if you're a little program like Arkansas who's about the caliber of Mississippi State or Kentucky, to hang with people like Georgia and Florida.