• 388,861 Topics
• 22,009 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fallout 4  (Read 1163 times)

Mr.Swine89

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Fallout 4
« on: December 18, 2015, 07:29:26 am »

Wow. Need I say more? Anyone playing it besides me?

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
Re: Fallout 4
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 08:20:33 am »

Wow. Need I say more? Anyone playing it besides me?

I played it and was disappointed.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Chief_Osceola

• Senior
  • Embracing the Dark Side
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 11:35:30 am »

I can't decide which faction to side with.  I hate them all equally.

BoS - Xenophobic technophiles that have zero gray area.  Plus Maxson is kind of an a-hole.

Institute - Maybe the best choice for the future, but their methods are questionable at best.  Plus most of them are arrogant d-bags.

Railroad - A bunch of bleeding heart weaklings who have no vision for the future.  They're like the Fallout version of PETA.

Minutemen - I can't speak to Garvey without an 'oh by the way, this settlement needs help'.  It's like I'm the only Minuteman in the commonwealth.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 06:41:43 pm »

Turned it into a shooter, kind of a bummer.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 06:59:10 pm »

Turned it into a shooter, kind of a bummer.
I thought they added a lot of great stuff to fallout 4.  the crafting system is a lot better, settlements add a new dimension to game play.  the perk system is more intuitive.  Power armor is a great addition that allows for more flexible game play.

thebignasty

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 07:07:24 pm »

I thought they added a lot of great stuff to fallout 4.  the crafting system is a lot better, settlements add a new dimension to game play.  the perk system is more intuitive.  Power armor is a great addition that allows for more flexible game play.

I was a little dismissive.  I like the change to power armor although it obliterates previous lore- but it makes it feel way more badass. I like that the action parts actually feel playable.  Crafting is awesome if overwhelming, though I dont love that a major part of the game is junk hoarding- EVERYTHING being useful is overkill. Learning which bits of junk you needed had been part of the fun, in the past.   Post apocalypse boston is a really good setting; bethesda is at its best when its world building.

I just dont like how they revamped leveling and perks, and they have severely limited playstyles.  Vats and charismatic playstyles are useless. Settlements are a great idea, but at this point I think the execution is super shaky.  Its too hard to do anything in it that awful screen.  The hype train before the game was that this game had a 'movie' quality story, which is a joke.  Its trash, which is okay but its a bummer if story was a focus and this is what they came up with.

I don't think its a bad game, but if you are an old school fallout fan and an rpg fan, this game wasnt really made with your ideals in mind.  Which is okay but a moderate disappointment.

I had got about 2/3rds through the main story line and put 60 hours in when I  decided to shelve it until later.  The mod community will do amazing things with it.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 08:22:48 pm »

I think there is definitely room for refinement, but I like that the game feels fresh.

Chief_Osceola

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 08:23:15 pm »

I don't know, I usually play as a sneaky gunslinger, but this time I put like a 9 in charisma and I can do whatever I want. I didn't put a lot of perks into VATS-centered combat, because I don't use VATS a lot this game. I put most of my perks into a sneak/sniper build with added perks toward non-auto pistols. My 2 weapons are the fully modded Deliverer and Overseer's Guardian. It's nice being able to snipe at long range and have 14 shots in VATS in close quarters when I need it. I'd probably use VATS more if its perks weren't centered more around perception and luck. Both of those aren't high enough for me to get the good stuff like concentrated fire or mysterious stranger or bloody mess.

Anyway, I'd just like some other people's thoughts on the factions and who I should side with.

Chief_Osceola

• Senior
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 08:24:52 pm »

Also Diamond City Radio is awesome. I like the awkward DJ before he gets his confidence.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 08:35:15 pm »

yeah not sure on the faction.

my son played through the BOS faction, and its probably the most fun for straight up combat.  I was focusing on the minutemen but its a bit out of control with the number of missions now, so I decided to seek out the railroad and try that out.

right now I'm using the detective guy as my helper.  he is great at hacking computers which I hate doing, so that is nice.  he also picks locks, but im a master already.  most of my perks are around modding weapons and armor and running settlements. 

my next character I think I want to go more stealth oriented put not sure what other aspects to combine with it to make it more interesting.

Chief_Osceola

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 09:42:55 pm »

You could go stealth + melee, but that might be tough early on. I always end up going the same type - stealthy gunslinger. I've never really ever done a melee or demolitions build. This the first time I've ever done a high charisma though. I have enjoyed the dialogue options with that.

As for the factions, I preferred 3 and New Vegas. In the Capitol, it was an easy choice to side with the BoS and wipe out the Enclave. In New Vegas, I sided with the NCR and killed the entire Caesar's Legion. I think I also blew up the BoS. But in 4, I don't like any of them, plus if you pick one you pretty much have to destroy the others.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 06:15:44 pm »

that there is no clear cut 'right' answer is what makes it better.

I like the idea of stealth Melee.  back stabbing sounds fun, but might not be do able in the wild.  would also probably have to go without a companion as they always seem to get spotted.

maybe I;ll also build a silenced full auto smg.

Chief_Osceola

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 06:36:52 pm »

No kidding - companions are terrible for sneak builds. The lone wanderer perk is awesome for that build though. Also the level 2 pickpocket is a must have with that build.

Chief_Osceola

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 06:39:21 pm »

Oh, and I can't say it enough - the Deliverer is the best gun in the game IMO. When fully modded, it's a silenced killer. You can clear an entire room in one VATS use, even if you haven't put much into vats or AP points.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 08:09:33 pm »

Oh, and I can't say it enough - the Deliverer is the best gun in the game IMO. When fully modded, it's a silenced killer. You can clear an entire room in one VATS use, even if you haven't put much into vats or AP points.
nice, I actually just got that weapon on my current build but haven't used it yet.

razorbackfan86

• Woooooooo Pig Sooooooooie!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 01:05:37 pm »

Is this a game that someone new to the series can jump in and play? I just recently got a xbox one and was wanting to get a good game outside of the sports games I got the console for.

Chief_Osceola

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 11:13:25 am »

Is this a game that someone new to the series can jump in and play? I just recently got a xbox one and was wanting to get a good game outside of the sports games I got the console for.

Yes, you should be able to get right into it without too much trouble.  It may be a bit tough/confusing at first because of the game mechanics and how to build your character.  There are optimal ways to build character types, but I don't think you can really go wrong.  The only thing you're missing out on by not playing any of the other games is the Fallout universe's history and lore and whatnot.

razorbackfan86

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 11:58:29 am »

Yes, you should be able to get right into it without too much trouble.  It may be a bit tough/confusing at first because of the game mechanics and how to build your character.  There are optimal ways to build character types, but I don't think you can really go wrong.  The only thing you're missing out on by not playing any of the other games is the Fallout universe's history and lore and whatnot.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any other games you might recommend?

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 12:06:54 pm »

Thanks for the info. Do you have any other games you might recommend?
what types of games do you like to play?

razorbackfan86

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 12:50:50 pm »

what types of games do you like to play?

I like the open world type games. I don't play much and I don't play online but some of my favorites from the 360 were:

GTA V
Red Dead Redemption
Splinter Cell - this one may have been back on the first xbox one (original xbox)
I like Call of Duty but the campaign mode is not long enough.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 02:43:51 pm »

Tom Clancy: the Divison is coming out soon.  its an open world game with optional co-op and pvp features.

rainbow six: siege just came out.  its a good online shooter if you like more realistic scenarios and more competitive gameplay.  no respawn. 5 v 5 tactical objective or 5 vs AI tactical objective.

razorbackfan86

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 02:44:31 pm »

Tom Clancy: the Divison is coming out soon.  its an open world game with optional co-op and pvp features.

I saw that the other day, it looks like something I might like. I will have to try that. Thanks.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 02:50:11 pm »

I saw that the other day, it looks like something I might like. I will have to try that. Thanks.
a couple of older openworld games that are fun

watchdogs

shadow of mordor (nemesis system is cool)

witcher III (decent rpg)

Dark Souls 2 (semi open world, twisted bosses, great game play, decent character development, and a challenging game)

razorbackfan86

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 03:26:13 pm »

Appreciate all the info pork

Chief_Osceola

• Senior
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 03:48:12 pm »

Dark Souls may be the most difficult game I've ever played.  But it's a good game.  Also I'm thinking about picking up Witcher III.  What is a game you can compare it to?

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 05:03:27 pm »

Dark Souls may be the most difficult game I've ever played.  But it's a good game.  Also I'm thinking about picking up Witcher III.  What is a game you can compare it to?
I'm only through the first couple levels.  its a 3rd person rpg, though you cant customize your character except for skills.  even gear customization is minimal.

the combat system has promise if I can ever get it down.  its based on a combinatation of evasion, melee, and magic that has specific uses.

nothing really stands out so far as amazing or terrible.  its probably worth renting to try it out, or buying if  you like rpg's and you see it on sale.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 05:09:10 pm »

Dark Souls may be the most difficult game I've ever played.  But it's a good game. 
lol, no doubt.  I put down DS II for like a month and tried to pick up where I left off, and was slaughtered repeatedly.  I'm still working up the courage to take it on again. 

Its a pretty huge game, and the scholar edition has all 3 DLC's.  I haven't even beat the first DLC, and I'm pretty deep into the main story line.

if you are an RPG fan and down for the challenge, at least to me, it is a must own game.  It has a cult-like following, and when you play it, you'll see why.

while DS3 (last of the series) is coming out in april, DS2 is only like $26 on amazon right now, and is well worth adding to the collection.

all the games demons souls (the orignal), Dark Souls I and II and now III, and Bloodborne are stand alone games.  (ie you don't need to have played previous games), are all awesome games on their own merit.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 05:39:09 pm by PorkSoda »

thebignasty

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 05:38:21 pm »

Red Dead Redemption might be my all time favorite game.

Chief_Osceola

• Senior
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 06:07:25 pm »

I liked RDR a lot too. I wish there were more Western-themed games. The second Call of Juarez was alright, but I don't really know of any others.

razorbackfan86

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 10:03:33 am »

This. I wish they would bring it to xbox one or continue the story of RDR.

I liked RDR a lot too. I wish there were more Western-themed games. The second Call of Juarez was alright, but I don't really know of any others.

I would like more Western-themed games as well.

thebignasty

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 05:27:26 pm »

This. I wish they would bring it to xbox one or continue the story of RDR.

I would like more Western-themed games as well.

I think there will be another game in that world. I hope it comes to pc- unless ncaa football comes back I'm probably done with console gaming.

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 11:52:52 am »

I love RDR

PorkRinds

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2016, 03:00:09 pm »

Red dead redemption is probably my favorite game ever.  Absolutely loved it and completed it to like 99.9% complete. I really wish someone would have told me you have to make a profit in every side game to get 100% completion before I started.  I ended up getting like 10 grand down playing cards and refuse to spend the time it would take to get back into the black.   >:(

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2016, 02:11:30 pm »

anyone still play this?  the DLC's are pretty fun especially to workshop that allows you to build animal traps.

I'm in the process of upgrading my arena.  I have a captured Deathclaw, Radscorpian, Mireluck, and Yao Guai and I pit them against eachother in my arena, and occasionally send in an unsuspecting settler before releasing the monsters.  Now that I can build robots, im planning on setting up having some robot vs monster battles and see how that goes. 

for the record the Yao Guai can kill a death claw easily.  even though the death claw is more powerful, the yao guai has a faster attack, so it just stun locks the helpless deathclaw in a corner and beats it down.   Once my bigger arena is done, I'm going to add some raiders and super mutants to the mix and get a proper royal rumble going.  might even add install a trader outpost in the arena just for laughs.

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2016, 03:26:21 pm »

anyone still play this?

I kinda got bored with it.  I'm jonesing for a new Elder Scrolls.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2016, 07:32:06 pm »

I rented the elder scrolls online, but I just couldn't get into it.  I'm waiting for the new Mass Effect, I am curious how No Mans Sky will turn out.  It looks like a game with a lot of possibilities, but could end up completely boring.

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2016, 09:30:22 pm »

I rented the elder scrolls online, but I just couldn't get into it.  I'm waiting for the new Mass Effect, I am curious how No Mans Sky will turn out.  It looks like a game with a lot of possibilities, but could end up completely boring.

Elder Scrolls Online sucks.

I'm talking about Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, etc...  Those games are amazing.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2016, 10:02:53 pm »

yeah, I've put 'a few hours' into those games over the years.  I really want to get dark souls 3, but I promised myself I would beat bloodborne first.  I hit a wall so had to put it down for a while.  that game is ruthless.

thebignasty

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2016, 07:29:42 am »

Skyrim is getting a remastered release for current gen consoles in october, and will include mod support. The next real elder scrolls game is still years away, according to bethesda.

Elder scrolls online is horrible.

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2016, 10:11:02 am »

Skyrim is getting a remastered release for current gen consoles in october, and will include mod support. The next real elder scrolls game is still years away, according to bethesda.

Mod support?  Hell yeah. 

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2016, 02:49:49 pm »

thats interesting.  I'd have a hard time paying full price game that I've already beat several times though. 

I'm glad they are taking their time with the next one though.  I really liked the in depth crafting system in fallout 4, and the crafting system in skyrim wasn't bad, but it didn't affect how the weapon / armor looked.  I think if they really put some thought into it they can really expand how the crafting and spell systems work in the next elder scrolls using what they learned from fallout 4.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2016, 02:59:07 pm »

looks like they are working on allowing mods for fallout 4 as well. 

thebignasty

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2016, 03:46:06 pm »

looks like they are working on allowing mods for fallout 4 as well.
should already be available on xboxone

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2016, 04:06:57 pm »

should already be available on xboxone
I have a PS4, it seems there are still a few proprietory roadblocks to hashout before they release it for PS4.  I've never really messed with mods at all since I'm primarily a console gamer (my PC is pathetically slow) what type of stuff should I expect?

thebignasty

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2016, 05:08:03 pm »

The modding community is crazy.  Anything from minor visual tweaks and enhancements to fully voiced 20+ hour stories set on a new landmass involving all new characters.

http://www.pcgamer.com/best-skyrim-mods/

http://www.pcgamer.com/best-fallout-4-mods/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX_GfnmUINI

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2016, 05:54:37 pm »

lulz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK