Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guy V. Lewis…rest in peace

Started by Tejano Jawg, November 27, 2015, 12:56:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

The architect of Houston's Phi Slamma Jamma, dead at 93. I figured there would already be a thread on this. I remember his days coming to Barnhill. And his checkered towel. This is a big loss to the history of college hoops.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2015/11/26/guy-v-lewis-coach-of-phi-slama-jama-teams-dies-at-93/76419744/
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

hoglady

Those were some of the best days of college basketball.
I loved watching Phi Slamma Jamma with Clyde "the Glide" Drexler and Hakeem "the Dream" Olajuwon.
People who aren't old enough to remember that period of college basketball can't imagine what they missed seeing. Great players, colorful coaches - man do I miss it.

RIP Guy Lewis - truly one of a kind.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoghappy

I hated the man because I hated the team. But he certainly was a great coach  and was great for the game of basketball. I have learned to respect him as I've aged. A real legend that deserves to be honored. Later in the day, at a respectable time, I will sip one in his honor.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: hoglady on November 27, 2015, 06:45:27 am
I loved watching Phi Slamma Jamma with Clyde "the Glide" Drexler and Hakeem "the Dream" Olajuwon.
People who aren't old enough to remember that period of college basketball can't imagine what they missed seeing. Great players, colorful coaches - man do I miss it.

Those were some scary teams....There was another player on that team that was a "dead-eye" shooter, Michael Young I believe.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Iwastherein1969

great recruiter, Coach L. may have put the 5 best players on the court at one time in college basketball history...at the Memorial at the Summit, they can "roll the balls out" one more time for Guy Lewis. but seriously, RIP Coach, you've earned it after 93 years on this God forsaken planet
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Tejano Jawg

It seemed Arkansas' rivals alternated between Texas and Houston from the late 70s to the mid 80s. Lots of great players on these teams.

The Drexler-Micheaux-Akeem-Anders-Young Cougar teams were on another level. My soph year (and Joe Kleine's soph year), we couldn't beat them. Usually with the good Sutton teams, we'd split with the our best opponents. The next year, they beat us in Houston, but we won in Fayetteville. I don't know how many people snuck in to Barnhill that day (I was responsible for 2 extra people being in). With a few minutes left in the game, Akeem fouled out. You could hear the roar building as everyone realized he'd gotten his 5th foul. I think that was the loudest I ever heard Barnhill.

That first year, when NC State beat them in the NCAA finals, I was mixed. I hated Houston, but I always kinda thought they deserved to win one national championship. (Sidenote--that NC State 30-for-30 is one of the best, and gives you more appreciation for that amazing team.)

I'll always remember Guy V walking the sideline, wearing his suit and clutching his towel, and looking like a mad doctor. Those were great times.

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HognitiveDissonance

R.I.P.

On a lighter note, Guy V. used to do some color commentary on SWC games. Once he remarked on two big guys going at it in the paint was 'like Godzilla versus Dracula'.

Ummm...ok. I laughed for 10 minutes.

moses_007

He was a great coach.  I remember quite well those great games between Houston's Olajuwon and Arkansas' Joe Klein. 

Soooie21

husker71

I was in 10th grade when The Big E, Theodis Lee, Don Chaney and Ken Spain comprised most of my favorite team.  I loved me some Elvin Hayes and only learned in later years how much his pro teammates did not like playing with him.

Tusks

I remember him getting kicked out of barnhill and on his way to the locker room walking out and stomping on the pigtail in the middle of the court.  Classic classic Guy V and Arkansas/Houston basketball.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

rtr

Brings back a lot of memories.  RIP Guy V. Lewis.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

lasthog

Quote from: hoglady on November 27, 2015, 06:45:27 am

Couldn't agree more.

Today, Hakeem and Drexler, possibly Klein and others would be one-and-done.

College basketball, I hardly knew ye.

Mike Irwin

At one of Eddie Sutton's press conferences in Barnhill Area one day a reporter referred to Lewis as coaching "playground ball." He asked Sutton to compare his practices to Lewis'.

"I can assure you," Sutton began, "he doesn't just roll the basketball out on the floor and tell his players to go at it."

Sutton went on to point out that there was no one way to coach. No one style that works. If they want to last each coach goes with what works for him.

What made those Arkansas-Houston games so much fun to watch was the contrast in styles.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 29, 2015, 12:04:11 am
At one of Eddie Sutton's press conferences in Barnhill Area one day a reporter referred to Lewis as coaching "playground ball." He asked Sutton to compare his practices to Lewis'.

"I can assure you," Sutton began, "he doesn't just roll the basketball out on the floor and tell his players to go at it."

Sutton went on to point out that there was no one way to coach. No one style that works. If they want to last each coach goes with what works for him.

What made those Arkansas-Houston games so much fun to watch was the contrast in styles.

Couldn't agree with you more.....maybe we should go back to the "Four-Corners"!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 29, 2015, 12:04:11 am

Sutton never had bad things to say except for one coach, Abe Lemons.  But one cannot deny with all that talent Guy V. had on Phi Slamma Jama, a torpid sloth could have coached them to the Final Four

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 29, 2015, 12:08:24 pm
Sutton never had bad things to say except for one coach, Abe Lemons.  But one cannot deny with all that talent Guy V. had on Phi Slamma Jama, a torpid sloth could have coached them to the Final Four

Eddie and Abe became good friends over time.  I'm sure anything he may have said early in their coaching match ups was "heat of the moment" stuff.  I'll never forget the Eddie Sutton roast that some organization put on.  Abe showed up with an Afro wig because Eddie was sporting a perm at that time.  There was mutual respect between the two.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 29, 2015, 12:44:33 pm
Eddie and Abe became good friends over time.  I'm sure anything he may have said early in their coaching match ups was "heat of the moment" stuff.  I'll never forget the Eddie Sutton roast that some organization put on.  Abe showed up with an Afro wig because Eddie was sporting a perm at that time.  There was mutual respect between the two.
this is good to hear....the last time I heard Abe speaking of Eddie, Abe was talking about how "Eddie took himself too seriously, and some funny remark by Abe about Eddie and his "ice cream britches"...Abe is the only coach that could get under Eddie's skin and it's good to hear the two made up before it was too late because the both of them were so good for college basketball in the mid to late 70's in the SWC.

trippigs

He was a colorful guy with some great teams. I remember the battles in Barnhill very well....good times!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on November 27, 2015, 12:56:03 am
The architect of Houston's Phi Slamma Jamma, dead at 93. I figured there would already be a thread on this. I remember his days coming to Barnhill. And his checkered towel. This is a big loss to the history of college hoops.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2015/11/26/guy-v-lewis-coach-of-phi-slama-jama-teams-dies-at-93/76419744/

Those were some great time to see those games on TV.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razorshark

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on November 27, 2015, 01:30:42 pm
It seemed Arkansas' rivals alternated between Texas and Houston from the late 70s to the mid 80s. Lots of great players on these teams.

The Drexler-Micheaux-Akeem-Anders-Young Cougar teams were on another level. My soph year (and Joe Kleine's soph year), we couldn't beat them. Usually with the good Sutton teams, we'd split with the our best opponents. The next year, they beat us in Houston, but we won in Fayetteville. I don't know how many people snuck in to Barnhill that day (I was responsible for 2 extra people being in). With a few minutes left in the game, Akeem fouled out. You could hear the roar building as everyone realized he'd gotten his 5th foul. I think that was the loudest I ever heard Barnhill.

That first year, when NC State beat them in the NCAA finals, I was mixed. I hated Houston, but I always kinda thought they deserved to win one national championship. (Sidenote--that NC State 30-for-30 is one of the best, and gives you more appreciation for that amazing team.)

I'll always remember Guy V walking the sideline, wearing his suit and clutching his towel, and looking like a mad doctor. Those were great times.

I was there, great game
I love the smell of napalm in the morning
http://rs218.pbsrc.com/albums/cc30/razorshark50/Napalm.jpg~c100