Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Going for 2 after TD with 5 minutes to play

Started by donk, November 21, 2015, 11:10:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

donk

Why?

We were up by 4 and extra point gives us a 5 point lead.  Anyone watching the game knows they are going to score when they get the ball.  If we don't make the 2pt try then we would be down by 3 after they score.  By making 2 pt try you are only down 1.  but what difference is 1 or 2?  but there is a huge difference between 2 and 3.  This seemed like a strange decision to me.  Since we converted it didn't matter but if we hadn't the FG would have been for a tie and not a win.  In hindsight if we don't convert the 2 pt try we would have played for a TD to end the game instead of going for the tie.  We probably win.
???

presidenthog

we converted the 2 point play I don't see why it matters.

jjfmetal11

why would it matter tard!   go for 1 we lose by 2 51-49 ?

Dudeman

Abstinence is the sincerest form of frustration.

You can't have half holes or partial holes because all holes are whole holes.

JaketheSnake

To get to a six point lead.  If we don't make it we are still up by 4, so they need more than a field goal to win.  At 6, the pressure is still on to make te extra point and they had already missed one.  That's what every coach in America would have done.

Country Stylz

No reason to go for two there. Just complete idiocy.

RollHogTide

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 21, 2015, 11:18:18 pm
To get to a six point lead.  If we don't make it we are still up by 4, so they need more than a field goal to win.  At 6, the pressure is still on to make te extra point and they had already missed one.  That's what every coach in America would have done.

Yep

Lake City Hog

It puts you in a position to win with a field goal after they score! I think that BB knew we wouldn't hold them!

donk

Yes we were up by more than a TD (4 points) but they score a TD and leave a couple minutes on the clock. Would you rather be down 2 or 3?  And yes I know it didn't matter because we converted.  Actually only one coach would go for 2.  Maybe 2 because I don't know what Les Miles would do.

LZH

You never, ever, go for 2 unless you absolutely have to at the time. However, since it worked, I am cool with it. :-)

Country Stylz

To get a six point lead instead of five? What difference does that make? Good grief people. If we wouldn't have converted we would have been down three after they scored. Made no sense to go for two there. Stupid as hell.

donk

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 21, 2015, 11:22:07 pm
It puts you in a position to win with a field goal after they score! I think that BB knew we wouldn't hold them!
Kicking the extra point would have done the same thing.  Only going for 2 and not making it would don't have allowed you to win the game with a FG.

donk

Quote from: Country Stylz on November 21, 2015, 11:25:28 pm
To get a six point lead instead of five? What difference does that make? Good grief people. If we wouldn't have converted we would have been down three after they scored. Made no sense to go for two there. Stupid as hell.

This the point I was trying to make without saying it was stupid even though it was.

Country Stylz

I guess some of you can't add. There was no reason to go for two. We could of been looking at a 3 point deficit if we didn't make it, as opposed to a two point deficit by kicking the extra point. Good God.

redeye

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 21, 2015, 11:22:07 pm

Exactly and it was a good call.  I still wish we'd tried harder for a TD on our last drive, but going for 2 was a good call.

zumhog

Its clear CBB was playing for the FG on the last drive. 3rd and five, should of called a pass play.

ShadowTheHedgehog

You have a 4 point lead after the TD. 4 or 5 is the same they score a TD they have 6. Now they will go for 2 because leading by 6 or 7 is the same. if they get 8 that is a 3 point lead and the only thing you could do with a FG would be to tie. If you get to a 6 point lead, it makes no sense for them to go for 2. because even with 8 it would not prevent you from winning with a FG. Coached Coaches have these situation charts where they can see if they should go for 1 or 2.

Country Stylz

Quote from: redeye on November 21, 2015, 11:30:15 pm
Exactly and it was a good call.  I still wish we'd tried harder for a TD, but going for 2 was a good call.
No, it made no sense. What are you talking about? Is there anyone out there that can add and subtract?

ShadowTheHedgehog

presidenthog

Quote from: redeye on November 21, 2015, 11:30:15 pm
Exactly and it was a good call.  I still wish we'd tried harder for a TD on our last drive, but going for 2 was a good call.
We needed I touch down there at the end. I don't take a field goal wins that game. Even if we make a field goal they would have just drove down the field and kick their own for the win. We needed to score touchdown and put the pressure on them to beat us out right with the touchdown of their own. Also with a touchdown we could have went for 2 and made it where they could only tie with a td and a pat.

lasthog

Quote from: Country Stylz on November 21, 2015, 11:25:28 pm

I guess two field goals would have beaten us if we were only up five.  Or maybe that's just stupid as hell math.

Country Stylz

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 21, 2015, 11:31:24 pm
You have a 4 point lead after the TD. 4 or 5 is the same they score a TD they have 6. Now they will go for 2 because leading by 6 or 7 is the same. if they get 8 that is a 3 point lead and the only thing you could do with a FG would be to tie. If you get to a 6 point lead, it makes no sense for them to go for 2. because even with 8 it would not prevent you from winning with a FG. Coached Coaches have these situation charts where they can see if they should go for 1 or 2.
4 or 5 is not the same. If we have a five point lead and they score a td we are only down by two. That's with a simple extra point by us. If we don't make the 2 point conversion we risk going down by 3 after they score. There was no reason to go for two. What are you people talking about?

TeufelHog

^^^^^THIS^^^^^
. . . it also enabled us to possibly win by kicking a FG with little time remaining (which is exactly the scenario that played out).  If you do not understand that it was the right call, you need to "turn in your season football tickets" and begin supporting the "Swimming Team."  Man we have some knuckle dragging fans . . .

Country Stylz

Quote from: lasthog on November 21, 2015, 11:34:17 pm
I guess two field goals would have beaten us if we were only up five.  Or maybe that's just stupid as hell math.
They didn't have time for two field goals. They only would've had one possession left with 43 seconds. What in the hell are you drinking man?

Country Stylz

People will just argue no matter how stupid they sound.

redeye

Quote from: presidenthog on November 21, 2015, 11:34:03 pm
We needed I touch down there at the end. I don't take a field goal wins that game. Even if we make a field goal they would have just drove down the field and kick their own for the win. We needed to score touchdown and put the pressure on them to beat us out right with the touchdown of their own. Also with a touchdown we could have went for 2 and made it where they could only tie with a td and a pat.

I also would have preferred if they went for a TD, but a FG would have won it.  There were only 39 seconds left in the game and I don't think that would have given MSU enough time.

Country Stylz

Quote from: TeufelHog on November 21, 2015, 11:38:32 pm
^^^^^THIS^^^^^
. . . it also enabled us to possibly win by kicking a FG with little time remaining (which is exactly the scenario that played out).  If you do not understand that it was the right call, you need to "turn in your season football tickets" and begin supporting the "Swimming Team."  Man we have some knuckle dragging fans . . .
So if we we're down by two after just kicking an extra point we couldn't have won with the field goal? WHAT IN THE HELL ARE Y'ALL TALKING ABOUT? lol

Country Stylz

You're calling people knuckle dragging fans and you can't even freaking add.

redeye

Quote from: Country Stylz on November 21, 2015, 11:32:15 pm
No, it made no sense. What are you talking about? Is there anyone out there that can add and subtract?

Apparently you can't, because you fail to understand that a FG would have won it.  Missing on the 2 point conversion wouldn't have mattered, but converting it put us in good position to win.

Why is this so difficult?  Did you look at the 2-point conversion chart Shadow posted?  All coaches use that chart, so why are you complaining?

donk

Quote from: TeufelHog on November 21, 2015, 11:38:32 pm
^^^^^THIS^^^^^
If we kick the extra point we can still win with a FG.  The only way we can't win with a FG is to miss the extra point or a 2pt failure.  The rest of your post tells me why you probably don't understand.

pigture perfect

You have that much trust in our kicking game?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

LZH

Quote from: Country Stylz on November 21, 2015, 11:42:42 pm
You're calling people knuckle dragging fans and you can't even freaking add.

Naught plus naught equals naught-naught....

Country Stylz

Quote from: redeye on November 21, 2015, 11:43:52 pm
Apparently you can't, because you fail to understand that a FG would have won it.  Missing on the 2 point conversion wouldn't have mattered, but converting it put us in good position to win.

Why is this so difficult?  Did you look at the 2-point conversion chart Shadow posted?  All coaches use that chart, so why are you complaining?
If we would have missed the two point conversion we would have been down by 3 when we lined up for the field goal at the end. Do you not understand. The score would have been 48-44. Then they score their TD. That makes it 51-48. We would've been down by three instead of just two with a simple extra point. Do you get it now? Have another drink.

Country Stylz

I guess you guys are mildly retarded or something.

donk

Quote from: donk on November 21, 2015, 11:46:29 pm
If we kick the extra point we can still win with a FG.  The only way we can't win with a FG is to miss the extra point or a 2pt failure.  The rest of your post tells me why you probably don't understand.

If we kick the extra point we would have been down 2 instead of 1.  FG counts 3.  We win either way.  Miss the conversion and we are down 3.  FG counts 3. tie game.

presidenthog

Quote from: redeye on November 21, 2015, 11:41:11 pm
I also would have preferred if they went for a TD, but a FG would have won it.  There were only 39 seconds left in the game and I don't think that would have given MSU enough time.
What the way our defense is playing and the way their offensive playing I don't know if that would have not been enough time for them to score.

Country Stylz

Quote from: donk on November 21, 2015, 11:52:15 pm
If we kick the extra point we would have been down 2 instead of 1.  FG counts 3.  We win either way.  Miss the conversion and we are down 3.  FG counts 3. tie game.
But if we don't get the two point conversion on a throwback to the QB we are down 51-48 instead of 51-49 with a simple extra point. Anybody out there?

donk

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 21, 2015, 11:33:26 pm
http://theredzone.org/Features/TwoPointConversionChart.aspx
That chart is stupid.  Doesn't take into account how much time is on the clock.  It says if you up 8 kick extra point.  What if there is only 1 second on the clock?  Nice kick but you lost.

Country Stylz

Forget it. May God have mercy on your souls.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: donk on November 21, 2015, 11:46:29 pm

If we had only kicked the extra point Miss State would had gone for two on their next TD. because leading by one (just TD) or two (TD and extra point) would mean that we could win with a FG. If they converted the 2-pt they would lead by 3 and the best we could do with a FG was to tie the game.  When we converted in the 2-pt we ensured that even if they had gone for 2 we could still win with "just" a FG. We went for 2 to put us in a position to win the game. Crap happened and they blocked so it didn't work. 8/10 times converting that 2-pt and then getting to spot where you have the chance to kick a field goal that is just a bit longer than an extra point would mean you win the game.

My only issue with this whole thing was the 3rd down. I would had loved to see us take a shot at getting a first down on that play. A first down at that time would had allowed us to run down the clock by trying a run or two and kick the FG.

I also think that Hedlund needs the ball to be on the middle of the field to have maximum success. That means that the coaches (once they had committed to the FG) did not want to attempt runs to the outside. That made it extra easy for Moo State to stuff the three run attempts.

TeufelHog

November 22, 2015, 12:05:03 am #40 Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:19:39 am by TeufelHog
Hogs scored their last TD in the 4th QTR with 5:33 remaining.  It's 48 Hogs to 44 Dogs . . .
. . . kick the PAT it's 49 Hogs to 44 Dogs.
. . . make the 2 point conversion it's 50 Hogs to 44 dogs.
CBB assumed our defense would not stop MSU from scoring another TD (because we couldn't all night) which would mean 6? 7? or 8? points by MSU depending if they missed or made their PAT -OR- went for their own 2 point conversion.  Worst case scenario, the Hogs could be down 52-50 late in the game with us getting the ball back and our destiny in our own hands . . . with a FG to possibly win it 53 Hogs to 52 Dogs with less than a minute to play. 

. . . IT WAS THE RIGHT CALL TO GO FOR 2!  CBB was playing for the win, not the tie.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: donk on November 21, 2015, 11:55:39 pm
That chart is stupid.  Doesn't take into account how much time is on the clock.  It says if you up 8 kick extra point.  What if there is only 1 second on the clock?  Nice kick but you lost.

That chart was just an example (and I think from the 70s), I don't have access to CBB and Eno's chart. What I am saying is that all coaches have this kind of charts and have spent time evaluating what they will do when this type of situations come up. 

redeye

Quote from: Country Stylz on November 21, 2015, 11:50:23 pm
If we would have missed the two point conversion we would have been down by 3 when we lined up for the field goal at the end. Do you not understand. The score would have been 48-44. Then they score their TD. That makes it 51-48. We would've been down by three instead of just two with a simple extra point. Do you get it now? Have another drink.

Okay, I'm guessing your argument is that failing to make the 2-point conversion meant we couldn't have kicked a FG for OT?  That's understandable, but we'd still have needed to win it in OT.

However, I'm sure the chart Shadow posted includes all the available mathematical probabilities and it recommends going for 2.  It worked out for us, so I don't see the problem?  I liked the call and don't get why you're so worked up about it?  Regardless of your answer, you need to chill until you can have this conversation without being disrespectful to those who disagree.

hog911

Quote from: jjfmetal11 on November 21, 2015, 11:12:35 pm
why would it matter tard!   go for 1 we lose by 2 51-49 ?

Hey tardie mctards, why throw when you need one yard to pretty much seal the deal?

redeye

Quote from: presidenthog on November 21, 2015, 11:53:06 pm
What the way our defense is playing and the way their offensive playing I don't know if that would have not been enough time for them to score.

That's understandable, but 39 seconds isn't much time and I think we'd have enough momentum to stop them.  I'm not even sure if MSU has a good FG kicker, but that also could have figured into the equation.

Still, we had the momentum on our last drive and I wish we'd gone for the TD, first.  If we had a great FG unit, like we did with Hocker, then I wouldn't mind settling for the FG, but we've struggled too much with FG's this year to do that.

redeye

Btw, I looked at the replay and think the kick would have been good, if it hadn't been blocked.  Wanna blame someone?  Blame our FG protection unit and Segrest for failing on one of the most consistent plays in college football.

There's no excuse for having so many FG attempts blocked this year.  I've never seen anything like it and don't recall us ever having this many problems.

presidenthog

Quote from: redeye on November 22, 2015, 12:19:55 am
Btw, I looked at the replay and think the kick would have been good, if it hadn't been blocked.  Wanna blame someone?  Blame our FG protection unit and Segrest for failing on one of the most consistent plays in college football.

There's no excuse for having so many FG attempts blocked this year.  I've never seen anything like it and don't recall us ever having this many problems.
I was just about to say that I'm curious to see if rory seagrest is here next year. at the least I don't see a raise coming his way. His 2 units, D line and special teams, are 2 of the weaker units on the team. it will be interesting because the way it is if we get a different D line coach they would need to do both most likely. at any rate I would want Mizzou's D line coach.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: redeye on November 22, 2015, 12:19:55 am

I agree redeye, but it was not just the FG. Football is a team sports. Many are to blame for today's loss. The kick protection, the D giving up 50+1, maybe (at least some of) the coaches, etc. I expect them to be back focused and have a great game against Mizzou.

redeye

Quote from: presidenthog on November 22, 2015, 12:25:51 am
I was just about to say that I'm curious to see if rory seagrest is here next year. at the least I don't see a raise coming his way. His 2 units, D line and special teams, are 2 of the weaker units on the team. it will be interesting because the way it is if we get a different D line coach they would need to do both most likely. at any rate I would want Mizzou's D line coach.

Yea, I'm starting to have some serious doubt with Segrest.

I'd take Missouri's DL or their DC to coach our line.  I don't know if Odom's a DL coach, but give him the co-DC title and see how well he and Smith can work together.