Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Game-by-game Predictions

Started by RyeHogFan, October 29, 2015, 01:26:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RyeHogFan

I'm sorry if someone has already done this.  I only searched the first page and didn't see anything so here goes.  I could say more of each game, but I'm trying to keep it short and sweet.  Feel free to elaborate on the games.

Nov 13  vs. Southern------------------------WIN  (shouldn't be close)
Nov 18  vs. Akron----------------------------WIN  (shouldn't be close)
Nov 20  vs. Charleston Southern-------------WIN (decent team, could be closer than expected)
Nov 26  vs. GA Tech (@ Brooklyn)-----------LOSS (First game away from the Bud, not good)
Nov 27  vs. Nova/Stanford (@Brooklyn)-----LOSS (Either team will be much better than us)
Dec 01  vs. Northwestern St.-----------------WIN   (Don't be surprised if we actually lose)
Dec 04  @  Wake Forest-----------------------LOSS (Don't be surprised if we pull this one out)
Dec 08  vs. Evansville--------------------------WIN (Middle of the road MVC team, could be close)
Dec 12  vs. Tennessee Tech-------------------WIN (Bad team, largest margin of victory so far)
Dec 19  vs. Mercer (@NLR)--------------------WIN (typically a decent team)
Dec 22  vs. North Florida-----------------------WIN (might actually be a close game)
Dec 30  @  Dayton------------------------------LOSS (Hogs come out of the break flat)
Jan 02   @ Texas A & M-------------------------LOSS (Hogs still looking for a road win)
Jan 05   vs. Vandy------------------------------WIN (Vandy is better,but Hogs play over their heads)
Jan 09   vs. Miss St.----------------------------WIN (Very close game, but Hogs hold on)
Jan 12   @ Mizzou-------------------------------WIN (Hogs finally get the road win against poor Zou)
Jan 16  @  LSU----------------------------------LOSS (Hogs play well, but LSU dominates paint)
Jan 21  vs. Kentucky----------------------------LOSS (Hogs get first home loss of season)
Jan 23  @ Georgia-------------------------------LOSS (Hogs dip back below .500 in SEC)
Jan 27  vs. Texas A & M-------------------------WIN (The Hogs recover from 3 losses & upset aTm)
Jan 30  vs. Texas Tech--------------------------WIN  (Hogs get break from SEC, win close game)
Feb 03  @ Florida--------------------------------LOSS (Road woes continue, especially in O Dome)
Feb 06  vs. Tennessee---------------------------WIN (Evenly matched teams, home court wins)
Feb 09  @ Miss St.-------------------------------LOSS (Traditional Starkville struggles continue)
Feb 13  @ Ole Miss-------------------------------LOSS (Same as Starkville)
Feb 17  vs. Auburn--------------------------------WIN (Hogs continue to win close games at home)
Feb 20  vs. Mizzou---------------------------------WIN (Hogs get the season sweep)
Feb 23  vs. LSU------------------------------------LOSS (Close game, but LSU wins on a late run)
Feb 27  @ Tennessee------------------------------LOSS (Young team still can't win on road)
Mar 02  @ Alabama--------------------------------LOSS (Young, thin team struggles in the end)

So that puts us at 16-14 (8-10) heading into the SEC tournament with probably about a 8-10 seed.  At this juncture, I doubt we'd win the game, so I'm guessing we go 16-15 overall, and then our coaches get out there and try to finish up a solid recruiting class. 

The_Iceman

Fair guess. Without Beard, I'd put that total down closer to 13-14.

hogsanity

Quote from: RyeHogFan on October 29, 2015, 01:26:33 pm

Jan 12   @ Mizzou-------------------------------WIN (Hogs finally get the road win against poor Zou)

They won at Mizzu last year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

nwahogfan1

Fair prediction.  I don't think you will miss your win-loss prediction by more than 2 or 3 one way or the other.  Of coarse we all want to win a few more but I am just not sure we have the scorers to pull out many more.

hogsanity

Said all summer, 18 wins with Beard and MAYBE a NIT bid, around .500 and no post season without him.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RyeHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on October 29, 2015, 01:41:02 pm
They won at Mizzu last year.

Sorry,  I meant that in my prediction this will be their first road win of the season, and I'm picking them to win because Mizzou will be a very poor team.

hogsanity

Quote from: RyeHogFan on October 29, 2015, 02:33:38 pm
Sorry,  I meant that in my prediction this will be their first road win of the season, and I'm picking them to win because Mizzou will be a very poor team.

Well, Mizzu is pretty bad, but the Hogs only got a 1 pt win there last year with the team we had. But if they are going to win a SEC road game, that is the most likely one, for sure.

Atlhogfan1

Akron returns some experience and are consistent winners. 

One blog's mid major poll:
http://www.midmajormadness.com/rankings/2015/10/6/9459255/preseason-mid-major-power-15-released

Dayton and Evansville are in it.

North Florida and Akron received votes. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Ham Sandwich

I don't know why people keep penciling in Ga Tech as a loss, they've been terrible and aren't supposed to really be any different this year.

Wake is a toss up too.

I think we go 10-3 in non con and around 500 in SEC but anything better and the team could surprise us. I think we have a shot of being a few games over 500 in the SEC if things go right.

wheelspigharvey

I'm sorry if someone has already done this.  I only searched the first page and didn't see anything so here goes.  I could say more of each game, but I'm trying to keep it short and sweet.  Feel free to elaborate on the games.

Nov 20  vs. Charleston Southern-------------WIN (decent team, could be closer than expected)
Nov 26  vs. GA Tech (@ Brooklyn)-----------LOSS (First game away from the Bud, not good)
Nov 27  vs. Nova/Stanford (@Brooklyn)-----LOSS (Either team will be much better than us)
Dec 01  vs. Northwestern St.-----------------WIN   (Don't be surprised if we actually lose)
Dec 04  @  Wake Forest-----------------------LOSS (Don't be surprised if we pull this one out)
Dec 08  vs. Evansville--------------------------WIN (Middle of the road MVC team, could be close)
Dec 12  vs. Tennessee Tech-------------------WIN (Bad team, largest margin of victory so far)
Dec 22  vs. North Florida-----------------------WIN (might actually be a close game)
Dec 30  @  Dayton------------------------------LOSS (Hogs come out of the break flat)
Jan 02   @ Texas A & M-------------------------LOSS (Hogs still looking for a road win)
Jan 05   vs. Vandy------------------------------WIN (Vandy is better,but Hogs play over their heads)
Jan 09   vs. Miss St.----------------------------WIN (Very close game, but Hogs hold on)
Jan 16  @  LSU----------------------------------LOSS (Hogs play well, but LSU dominates paint)
Jan 21  vs. Kentucky----------------------------LOSS (Hogs get first home loss of season)
Jan 23  @ Georgia-------------------------------LOSS (Hogs dip back below .500 in SEC)
Jan 27  vs. Texas A & M-------------------------WIN (The Hogs recover from 3 losses & upset aTm)
Jan 30  vs. Texas Tech--------------------------WIN  (Hogs get break from SEC, win close game)
Feb 03  @ Florida--------------------------------LOSS (Road woes continue, especially in O Dome)
Feb 06  vs. Tennessee---------------------------WIN (Evenly matched teams, home court wins)
Feb 09  @ Miss St.-------------------------------LOSS (Traditional Starkville struggles continue)
Feb 17  vs. Auburn--------------------------------WIN (Hogs continue to win close games at home)
Feb 20  vs. Mizzou---------------------------------WIN (Hogs get the season sweep)
Feb 23  vs. LSU------------------------------------LOSS (Close game, but LSU wins on a late run)
Feb 27  @ Tennessee------------------------------LOSS (Young team still can't win on road)
Mar 02  @ Alabama--------------------------------LOSS (Young, thin team struggles in the end)

So that puts us at 16-14 (8-10) heading into the SEC tournament with probably about a 8-10 seed.  At this juncture, I doubt we'd win the game, so I'm guessing we go 16-15 overall, and then our coaches get out there and try to finish up a solid recruiting class.

We have lost steam down the stretch in the past, but the only time we haven't been over 500 in February/March is in year 2011-12.  I am still of the opinion that we are better than that team, so I am going to disagree with your analysis for at least the back third of the season.

Atlhogfan1

There is a game vs SC BWA to end the season missing. 

Quote from: Ham Sandwich on October 29, 2015, 03:08:28 pm
I don't know why people keep penciling in Ga Tech as a loss, they've been terrible and aren't supposed to really be any different this year.

Wake is a toss up too.

I think we go 10-3 in non con and around 500 in SEC but anything better and the team could surprise us. I think we have a shot of being a few games over 500 in the SEC if things go right.

I think that would be a surprise to many. So many unanswered questions, any prediction is much more of a guess this season than any season in a while IMO. 

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on October 29, 2015, 03:10:18 pm
We have lost steam down the stretch in the past, but the only time we haven't been over 500 in February/March is in year 2011-12.  I am still of the opinion that we are better than that team, so I am going to disagree with your analysis for at least the back third of the season.

The back part of the SEC schedule seems more friendly than the first part. 

Get the benefit again of playing some projected lower level SEC teams twice and UK(BWA), Vandy(BWA) and UGa only once.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Nov 13  vs. Southern -- W (Lock)
Nov 18  vs. Akron -- W (Upset potential; won 21 games last season + beat 2 high-majors in non-con; return 6/7 top scorers)
Nov 20  vs. Charleston Southern -- W (Near lock)
Nov 26  vs. GA Tech (@ Brooklyn) -- L (Don't figure they'll win too many away from BWA)
Nov 27  vs. Nova/Stanford (@Brooklyn) -- L (Both are tournament quality, too hard to overcome on road)
Dec 01  vs. Northwestern St. -- W (Heavy upset potential; well-coached and play similar style)
Dec 04  @ Wake Forest -- L (Should be much improved)
Dec 08  vs. Evansville -- W (Upset potential; return two very good MVC players and several other key players)
Dec 12  vs. Tennessee Tech -- W (Lock)
Dec 19  vs. Mercer (@NLR) -- W (Usually a decent team, but they are short on talent by their standards)
Dec 22  vs. North Florida -- W (Upset potential; Return 3 double-digit scorers from team that won 23 games and NCAA birth)
Dec 30  @  Dayton -- L (They are missing their best player, but they're still very good)
Jan 02   @ Texas A&M -- L (Staring out @ A&M has never worked out well for us)
Jan 05   vs. Vanderbilt -- L (Too good)
Jan 09   vs. Miss St. -- W (Could see them being scary with Newman + solid returnees but HCA wins out here)
Jan 12   @ Mizzou -- W (They suck and we're bound to win one on the road)
Jan 16  @  LSU -- L (Another place we've historically struggled at, and they have the #1 player in the country)
Jan 21  vs. Kentucky -- L (A dramatic win would not surprise but I'm planing for a loss)
Jan 23  @ Georgia -- L (I think we could steal this one but I'll plan for a loss)
Jan 27  vs. Texas A&M -- W (They have a lot of talent this season)
Jan 30  vs. Texas Tech -- W (Dusty will have his revenge for Tubby asking him to cut his hair)
Feb 03  @ Florida -- L (They could be a transitioning mess but they do have a lot of talent still and White can coach)
Feb 06  vs. Tennessee -- W (Shouldn't be better than Hogs at BWA)
Feb 09  @ Miss St. -- L (Tough place for us, traditionally)
Feb 13  @ Ole Miss -- L (We only win there once every 5 years)
Feb 17  vs. Auburn -- W (Toss-up game as they are more talented but Hogs win)
Feb 20  vs. Mizzou -- W (Hopefully a route)
Feb 23  vs. LSU -- L (Too much talent, but Johnny Jones finds ways to screw up)
Feb 27  @ Tennessee -- L (We usually struggle there)
Mar 02  @ Alabama -- W (I'll go out on a limb and say we get a late reg season road W against a beatable opponent)
Mar 05  vs. South Carolina -- W (Could be a tough one for us, but I still don't feel like they've turned the corner)

Non-con: 9-4
SEC: 8-10
Overall: 17-14

Overall (and conference) prediction has actually come up since I first saw the entire schedule. There's quite a few 50/50 games, though, so the record go in either direction.

jry04

Wake is a toss up too.

Wake should be much better this year with their big man who dominated Portis coming back. GT won't be very good, and neither will Stanford. We have a legit shot of splitting our games in the NIT. Dayton should beat us, but their leading scorer from last season is suspended, so who knows. I wouldn't be shocked with anything in the non-conference from 7-6 to 11-2.

Hawg Red

They have sucked, no doubt. But they return their top two players from last year plus Tadric Jackson, who was highly rated. They also add former Bama big man Nick Jacobs. They have enough talent to be able to make a jump. But they could continue to suck, so that could open a door for us if we play better than some of us are thinking we will.

King Kong

Quote from: jry04 on October 29, 2015, 03:38:19 pm
Wake should be much better this year with their big man who dominated Portis coming back. GT won't be very good, and neither will Stanford. We have a legit shot of splitting our games in the NIT. Dayton should beat us, but their leading scorer from last season is suspended, so who knows. I wouldn't be shocked with anything in the non-conference from 7-6 to 11-2.

Wakes PG has a broken foot and may or may not be back for our game

Hawg Red

Quote from: King Kong on October 29, 2015, 06:03:23 pm
Wakes PG has a broken foot and may or may not be back for our game

We'll taken any break (pun intended) we can get.

Hawg Red

Ever since I read this thread, I can't stop thinking about the season. Starting to get pumped. Might go through that schedule again.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 29, 2015, 06:15:41 pm
Ever since I read this thread, I can't stop thinking about the season. Starting to get pumped. Might go through that schedule again.

Yep can't wait til the scrimmage this Sunday, first time I've been able to make it to one ever, and I've lived in town for like 15 years.

spahoopsfan

Quote from: hogsanity on October 29, 2015, 01:58:03 pm
Said all summer, 18 wins with Beard and MAYBE a NIT bid, around .500 and no post season without him.
I don't think Beard is a major factor.  We have the guards to win. The question is how good our forwards will be. I believe they are the key to whether we win 18-20 verses 13-15.

Hawg Red

Quote from: spahoopsfan on October 30, 2015, 09:55:51 am
I don't think Beard is a major factor.  We have the guards to win. The question is how good our forwards will be. I believe they are the key to whether we win 18-20 verses 13-15.

I think there is a major difference in ability between Anton Beard and Jabril Durham. Enough to possibly account for wins.

hogsanity

Quote from: spahoopsfan on October 30, 2015, 09:55:51 am

yes, it was only a coincidence last year that the team really seemed to come together after Beard took the starting Pg spot, and Durham would go games long stretches barely seeing the floor. Durham only averaged 10 mins per game, only 3 players played less than he did ( Babb, Miles and Thompson ).

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 30, 2015, 09:57:44 am
I think there is a major difference in ability between Anton Beard and Jabril Durham. Enough to possibly account for wins.

Maybe Jabril closed the gap a little. Looked that way in the North Carolina game. Hope he builds on that for this year. Still, having one more solid guard like Beard would make our rotation a lot deeper and therefore stronger. I don't doubt that not having him back will cost us a win here and there.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2015, 10:06:31 am
yes, it was only a coincidence last year that the team really seemed to come together after Beard took the starting Pg spot, and Durham would go games long stretches barely seeing the floor. Durham only averaged 10 mins per game, only 3 players played less than he did ( Babb, Miles and Thompson ).

Minimizing Beard is just like those who tried to minimize the loss of Jonathan Williams, except we don't have an Alex Collins or RWIII or even Kody Walker behind Beard on the basketball team.

Hawg Red

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 30, 2015, 10:12:02 am
Maybe Jabril closed the gap a little. Looked that way in the North Carolina game. Hope he builds on that for this year. Still, having one more solid guard like Beard would make our rotation a lot deeper and therefore stronger. I don't doubt that not having him back will cost us a win here and there.

I'll believe he's closed the gap some when I see him make a layup in a game.

HoopS

Both would play big minutes. To see the effect, lay out a two deep with and without Beard and compare him to his replacement in that depth chart.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 30, 2015, 10:19:10 am

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 30, 2015, 10:19:10 am

Not just that the man to man defense he needs to improve on. Just like most of the squad aside Watkins. For the most part it's offensive first players

Hawg Red

Quote from: HoopS on October 30, 2015, 10:27:16 am
Both would play big minutes. To see the effect, lay out a two deep with and without Beard and compare him to his replacement in that depth chart.

Beard
Whitt
Bell
Hannahs
Durham

Which of these is not like the rest?

Atlhogfan1

Beard is needed because guard depth is needed.  Can't underplay it.  Hard to play the defenses Coach A wants without guard depth.  Also have to keep in mind the "wall" Whitt may hit.  Beard actually didn't start playing significant minutes till after the OM loss last season.  A month later, his statistics and impact dropped.  We got about one month out of him last season and he was a help in that month.  Now we are counting much more on Whitt this season especially offensively from the beginning of the season. 

It has taken Coach A until after SEC play started to figure out the guard rotation the last couple of seasons.  The defense and team changed for the better when he inserted Wade more often and last season when Beard played more. 

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 30, 2015, 10:13:46 am
Minimizing Beard is just like those who tried to minimize the loss of Jonathan Williams, except we don't have an Alex Collins or RWIII or even Kody Walker behind Beard on the basketball team.

Oh well, they are minimizing the loss of Portis, Qualls, Harris and Madden too.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2015, 10:41:34 am

and Williams and Babb...two athletic bodies that fit our system well and would contribute in 2016.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 30, 2015, 10:50:16 am
and Williams and Babb...two athletic bodies that fit our system well and would contribute in 2016.

IceMan, I'm tired of the system. I think you adjust to whatever the other team brings you when x's and o's in the game or something seen on film to explore to attack or defend the other team. The issue I have is just this. I think system or style or whatever it's called is an overrated aspect of in game tactics in college hoops.

HoopS

I know I'm not minimizing all the talent we lost. All those seniors plus two to the NBA. Huge losses. That's why most are predicting mid teens for wins. Like some have said lately, folks are trying to move on and get behind the current team.

HoopS

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 30, 2015, 10:30:45 am
Beard
Whitt
Bell
Hannahs
Durham

Hannahs? No, Beard. Lefty.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 30, 2015, 10:13:46 am

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2015, 10:41:34 am

What is this "they" crap? Knock it off guys. This was just the opinion of 1 poster and he only made 1 post about it, and he isn't even arguing the point.  At least he is consistent, he was critical of Beard last season too.

Quote from: spahoopsfan on February 13, 2015, 02:25:10 pm
Bell was in a bad shooting slump.  His defense is far better than people give him credit for.  Beard at this point is not a good free throw shooter which makes him a liability at the end of the game plus he hasn't shot well the past couple of games. Like all players when you miss a couple of shots you lose confidence. Hopefully he will get his shot back.  Bell is a heady player who doesn't turn the ball over much and will be greatly needed the rest of the way. People need to get off his back and root for him.

This is from last season when he apparently thought Bell should be getting some of Beards minutes. Maybe he isn't too impressed with Beard. I don't know. But there is no "they" Ok? Just SpaHoopsFan. He is entitled to his opinion (which I respectfully disagree with in this case).

All this group think and taking sides gets old quick. Just remember the words of some wise men from long ago in the eighties, "the reflex is a lonely child". Ok? Now run along boys and play nice.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 30, 2015, 10:30:45 am
Beard
Whitt
Bell
Hannahs
Durham

Whitt is the only one that can dunk?

hawginbigd1

This was done in another thread by some, including me, and i got to tell ya, I believe you and I are almost identical on these picks and record.

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 30, 2015, 11:00:43 am
IceMan, I'm tired of the system. I think you adjust to whatever the other team brings you when x's and o's in the game or something seen on film to explore to attack or defend the other team. The issue I have is just this. I think system or style or whatever it's called is an overrated aspect of in game tactics in college hoops.

I love the system. It's the only system we've used that's won a lot of basketball games. At least in the last 25 years.

The system is why we've done so well at home. The system works just fine and it makes teams adjust to what we do.

Id say that's a lot better than adjusting to what another team is doing.

Hawg Red

Pretty disappointed that only 3 people on this thread have actually given their predictions for the season.

hogsanity

November 02, 2015, 09:14:06 am #38 Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:26:20 am by hogsanity
Quote from: Hawg Red on November 02, 2015, 08:54:28 am
Pretty disappointed that only 3 people on this thread have actually given their predictions for the season.

9-4 ooc, 7-11 sec 0-1 sect. 16-15 reg season, no post season.

That is without Beard,. If he plays only after Jan1, then make it 17-14. He he ends up playing most of the season, 18-13.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 02, 2015, 08:54:28 am

I should be working as I type this so I won't go game by game but put me in the super-optimist column at 21 wins, 18 without Beard.  Seems the average here is 18.  What was the average prediction on here last year and by what percentage did we over-perform?  Whatever that percentage is tacked onto 18 is my guess.

Hawg Red

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on November 02, 2015, 09:58:32 am
I should be working as I type this so I won't go game by game but put me in the super-optimist column at 21 wins, 18 without Beard.  Seems the average here is 18.  What was the average prediction on here last year and by what percentage did we over-perform?  Whatever that percentage is tacked onto 18 is my guess.

I think 23 was probably the average last year. And that's regular season, not counting the SECT or NCAAT. A lot of people were spot-on last year.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on November 02, 2015, 09:58:32 am

9-3 non conference. 10-8 conference. 1 SEC tournament win. NIT 1 win.  21-13 overall. Nothing to write home about but not bad, all things considered.

-Blu

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 02, 2015, 10:26:07 am
9-3 non conference. 10-8 conference. 1 SEC tournament win. NIT 1 win.  21-13 overall. Nothing to write home about but not bad, all things considered.

We have 13 non-conference games.  Texas-Tech is mixed in the middle of the SEC schedule.

Kevin

9-4 non conference
7-11 in the conference
0-1 at the conference tournament

16-15, in year 5
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22