Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spurrier??

Started by ricepig, October 12, 2015, 08:03:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

lefty08

Who saw this coming. I know I didnt.........
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

PorkRinds

After this season surely.

BPsTheMan

one of my all time favorite personalities in sports

grayhawg

Wasn't that rumored in preseason?

ricepig

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on October 12, 2015, 08:04:42 pm
one of my all time favorite personalities in sports

He was quick with the wit, almost Ponderin like.........

hawgbawb

Maybe shoulda quit on top. At least he didn't do a Joe Pa.    (Don't even think about going there, Harry Rex)

Let's see, what old, formerly successful coach will they hire next?
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on October 12, 2015, 08:03:12 pm
https://twitter.com/ThayerEvansSI/status/653736882254143488

With his money and his love of playing golf, and the fact that he is one of the most quotable personalities in college football, he could make millions on the speaking/banquet circuit or under contract with a network with work in the booth or in studio. Time to hang up the whistle "ole ball coach/the visor" and ride into the sunset where the money is made much easier, everyone wants to buy you a drink or dinner after a round of golf, and you don't have to worry about getting inside the heads of 18 year old kids every year.
Go Hogs Go!

BPsTheMan

Quote from: hawgbawb on October 12, 2015, 08:06:52 pm
Maybe shoulda quit on top. At least he didn't do a Joe Pa.    (Don't even think about going there, Harry Rex)

Let's see, what old, formerly successful coach will they hire next?

Will Muschamp should have taken the Atlanta Falcons DC job over Auburn, and he'd be a lot more marketable to become an HC again - South Carolina might still give him a shot

Boarmonger

What's up with the timing on this?

Smokehouse

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 12, 2015, 08:04:32 pm
After this season surely.

Could be stepping down now under the stipulation that Junior gets the interim tag and a half-season audition for the full gig.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Inhogswetrust

If true then best wishes to him. I wasn't fond of him until he became a little more humble once he got to USCe. I did always think he was a great coach though.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkRinds

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on October 12, 2015, 08:13:07 pm
Will Muschamp should have taken the Atlanta Falcons DC job over Auburn, and he'd be a lot more marketable to become an HC again - South Carolina might still give him a shot

With the way his defense is performing he'd pick up right where CSS left off. 

hobhog

Good riddance. Never a fan of big mouth and piling on....

BPsTheMan

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 12, 2015, 08:15:08 pm
With the way his defense is performing he'd pick up right where CSS left off.

either way, he needs to bail Auburn quick

he boarded a sinking ship

ricepig

Quote from: Smokehouse on October 12, 2015, 08:14:09 pm
Could be stepping down now under the stipulation that Junior gets the interim tag and a half-season audition for the full gig.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeSchroeder/status/653740791353905152

Dr. Starcs

Are they doing cartwheels right now in Columbia?

BPsTheMan

SquidBilly

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 12, 2015, 08:24:13 pm
Are they doing cartwheels right now in Columbia?

He is revered in South Carolina.  He made them relevant for a while.  And he beat Clemson and rubbed their noses in it too.  he'll have a statue there before too long.

Sue E NoNutts

Charlie Strong maybe?
Your/You're.....the difference between knowing your shite and knowing you're shite.

Lose/Loose.  When you lose weight, your pants feel loose.

Inhogswetrust

October 12, 2015, 08:30:06 pm #20 Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:07:53 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on October 12, 2015, 08:27:04 pm
Phil Fulmer?

Too old, only 5 years younger than Spurrier.

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

SquidBilly

I can see them going to get Chad Morris from Clemson.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on October 12, 2015, 08:30:26 pm
https://twitter.com/GeorgeSchroeder/status/653743099110293504

I'll say it again and from his standpoint, it probably makes a heck of a lot of sense, though I am surprised that he isn't finishing out the season, either by choice or out of respect by those in charge.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 12, 2015, 08:08:46 pm
With his money and his love of playing golf, and the fact that he is one of the most quotable personalities in college football, he could make millions on the speaking/banquet circuit or under contract with a network with work in the booth or in studio. Time to hang up the whistle "ole ball coach/the visor" and ride into the sunset where the money is made much easier, everyone wants to buy you a drink or dinner after a round of golf, and you don't have to worry about getting inside the heads of 18 year old kids every year.
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Wow. Wonder if it is health related

Why in the middle of the season?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Quote from: Bret Squealema on October 12, 2015, 08:32:32 pm

Ummm pretty sure he is in Dallas coaching smu

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

hogman99

Quote from: Bret Squealema on October 12, 2015, 08:32:32 pm

He's head coach at SMU, but they may go after him.

DoctorSusscrofa

;DAnd it happens just after USC-West fires their coach.  Coincidence?
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Boardon Hamsay

Man, Spurrier was always a fun listen. He'll be missed in the game but I'm sure he's prolly ready to play a lot more golf.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

SquidBilly

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 12, 2015, 08:33:00 pm
I'll say it again and from his standpoint, it probably makes a heck of a lot of sense, though I am surprised that he isn't finishing out the season, either by choice or out of respect by those in charge.

He may be retiring out of respect for those in charge.  Their season is a lost cause and they need to move forward as quickly as possible to minimize the impact on recruiting.

go hogues

Quote from: rhames on October 12, 2015, 08:34:08 pm
Wow. Wonder if it is health related

Why in the middle of the season?
It allows their AD to get a jump on the search early in the game. This is the opening Charlie Strong should have waited on.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

SquidBilly

Quote from: rhames on October 12, 2015, 08:35:35 pm

Ummm pretty sure he is in Dallas coaching smu

Wow how did I miss that.  Thanks.

rhames

Quote from: Bret Squealema on October 12, 2015, 08:37:35 pm
He may be retiring out of respect for those in charge.  Their season is a lost cause and they need to move forward as quickly as possible to minimize the impact on recruiting.

LOL what?  They will hire a coach at the same time of the year if he were to stay.

Didn't Steve leave his NFL job without notice?  Maybe its just his way.  Though he didn't do bad at SC, he never really developed the offenses he had a Fla.

jkstock04

Kind of sad he isn't going to be finishing out the year if you ask me. Guy is a legend...hope he has a good retirement and we get to see him as some sort of analyst at some point.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

rhames

Quote from: go hogues on October 12, 2015, 08:38:19 pm
It allows their AD to get a jump on the search early in the game. This is the opening Charlie Strong should have waited on.

I get that but why not finish the season?? How does that take away from the "jump start"

lrcentral

but but firing a coach this early will set the program back X number of years.

ricepig

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 12, 2015, 08:35:57 pm
;DAnd it happens just after USC-West fires their coach.  Coincidence?

I like how your mind thinks, I'm like Gibbs, there aren't any coincidences.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bret Squealema on October 12, 2015, 08:37:35 pm

They could allow him to finish out the season and begin looking for successors through back channels. If they need lessons on how to do this out of the public eye and scrutiny, they could call Jeff Long.
Go Hogs Go!

WilsonHog

Good for Spurrier.

John Thompson walked away a few weeks ago. I've seen pictures of he and his wife since, and the man looks happy. Must be nice after all these games and seasons to wake up on an October morning and not have much to do other than play golf and go to baseball games. Good for them.

ricepig

Quote from: lrcentral on October 12, 2015, 08:40:37 pm

He retired, but don't let that interfere with the facts.

WorfHog

I don't understand the timing.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: lrcentral on October 12, 2015, 08:40:37 pm

Yes. Spurrier fired himself.  Yes, that's what he did. But he's trying to fool people into thinking he retired.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Hoggish1

Quote from: lefty08 on October 12, 2015, 08:04:26 pm
Who saw this coming. I know I didnt.........

I didn't either...

SquidBilly

Quote from: rhames on October 12, 2015, 08:38:49 pm

LOL what?  They will hire a coach at the same time of the year if he were to stay.

Not necessarily.  There are coaches available now they could bring in if they wanted to go that route.  Just listen to Sirius XM college network for example and you'll hear a few unemployed college coaches that could be candidates at USC-E.

rhames

Quote from: WorfHog on October 12, 2015, 08:43:38 pm
I don't understand the timing.

Yeah. I have respect for him but after the whole "I'm not retiring" press conference before the season and now not even finishing it is kind of a slap in the face to the kids.

If his record were different would this still be the case?

If it isn't for health or family issues it's kind of douchy

Hogarusa

He will be missed.  Great coach and source of quotes
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

rhames

Quote from: Bret Squealema on October 12, 2015, 08:46:56 pm
Not necessarily.  There are coaches available now they could bring in if they wanted to go that route.  Just listen to Sirius XM college network for example and you'll hear a few unemployed college coaches that could be candidates at USC-E.

South Carolina will not hire someone who isn't coaching now.

Their next coach is coaching right now. They are an sec team not a sun belt team.

ricepig

Quote from: rhames on October 12, 2015, 08:48:15 pm

South Carolina will not hire someone who isn't coaching now.

Their next coach is coaching right now. They are an sec team not a sun belt team.

Man, you just ruined their "All things Gruden" thread......

Smokehouse

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 12, 2015, 08:41:37 pm
They could allow him to finish out the season and begin looking for successors through back channels. If they need lessons on how to do this out of the public eye and scrutiny, they could call Jeff Long.

Quote from: Smokehouse on October 12, 2015, 08:14:09 pm

I really think this could be it, now that it's official he's not finishing the season. Been rumors for years that Spurrier Sr. has been working channels behind the scenes to get Junior to take the reins after him.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.