• 388,848 Topics
• 22,007 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fort Wainwright - any helpful suggestions?  (Read 520 times)

sevenof400

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Fort Wainwright - any helpful suggestions?
« on: August 25, 2015, 12:00:00 pm »

My son may be destined for Fort Wainwright in the coming weeks.  Has anyone here been stationed at Fort Wainwright and what advice would you care to share with respect to a PCS to that location? 

One area of interest / concern is with a personal vehicle - is it worth having the Army ship a personal vehicle to Alaska if that vehicle is a smaller sports car with not too much clearance room underneath?  How about base housing?

I know it's Alaska and there are a plethora of outdoor activities there but are there some things you should be sure to do when in Alaska anyone can recommend from their experiences?

Thanks!   

The Chief

• Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
Re: Fort Wainwright - any helpful suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 01:59:05 pm »

Bring a jacket. Sorry, that's all I've got. Elmendorf-Richardson is supposedly a nice post, but I think Wainwright is the land of the midnight sun.

When he receives orders, tell him to be sure and get a sponsor from his gaining unit. They will be able to tell him everything he needs to know.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

kkbrody

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 12:08:56 pm »

I did a few years at Eielson. If his car is front wheel drive, he should be fine. I had a buddy drive a Toyota MR2 everywhere with no issues. There are a lot of unique things up there. If he is getting up there in October, have them install the engine block heater, oil pan heater and transmission heater before they get there. Otherwise, it may be a night of getting up every few hours to start a vehicle so the engine block doesn't freeze.

Just make sure to have him go out on the weekends. He will see plenty of people complaining about being there, someone wiser than me told me a base is what you make it. If you have more specific questions, let me know. I left there in 2002.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Married way....way...way....up.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 02:00:02 pm »

Almost everyone that I've talked to really liked Alaska. Three people I work with were stationed there and all have nothing but good things to say. Mosquitos are terrrrble in the summer tho.

sevenof400

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 12:58:42 pm »

Thanks to each of you for your observations.  It now turns out he is headed for Fort Campbell, KY.  That's a whole lot closer than Fort Wainwright....(understatement of the day). He is looking forward to his first assignment and we (his parents) are happy we will have a much higher likelihood of seeing him every now and then. 

Albert Einswine

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 12:37:00 am »

Almost everyone that I've talked to really liked Alaska. Three people I work with were stationed there and all have nothing but good things to say. Mosquitos are terrrrble in the summer tho.

Mosquitoes up there are worse than the rice fields of NE Arkansas. I was amazed that anyplace could be worse.

I did a 5 day TDY up there to Eielson AFB (but they billeted us in Fairbanks) in June of '87 for Global Shield.

But it was the most beautiful place I've ever seen.

Boll Hawg

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 12:10:09 pm »

Thanks to each of you for your observations.  It now turns out he is headed for Fort Campbell, KY.  That's a whole lot closer than Fort Wainwright....(understatement of the day). He is looking forward to his first assignment and we (his parents) are happy we will have a much higher likelihood of seeing him every now and then.

My bro-in-law is at Campbell.  We just went there over Thanksgiving.  Nice, easy drive.  Decent area. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas