Pick 1

Jones
132 (45.2%)
Dmac
160 (54.8%)

Total Members Voted: 292

EL' MAHOG

If I one play to score I'd give it Matt Jones
I guess it finally rained, its down to 85, I bet the fish are bitin' down by the riverside

PorkSoda

I agree, you just never knew what MJ would do.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Sed76

I'll be different and go with McFadden.

The_Bionic_Pig

If you're plan is to become 90% Run  and 10% Pass then Matt Jones.

Otherwise D-Mac
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Can I choose Frito Pie or Ray Biggers?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

mhsbc59

DMAC!!!! jones would fumble while trying to dance instead of throw to the open man.  Plus DMAC was probely just as good a passer
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: EL' MAHOG on July 01, 2015, 07:39:01 pm
If I one play to score I'd give it Matt Jones

Depends. 

If Gus called the play I'd trust DMAC to execute it out of the Wild Hog. 

If Hootie called the play I'd trust MJ to improvise anything other than the smoke draw that was called. 

If Bielema called the play the team lines up in punt formation and Irwin-Hill showing signs of the fake.  Tretola lined up as protector instead takes the pass from center and throws to MJ, lined up at TE who does a hook & ladder to a sprinting DMAC.   ;D

Poker_hog

Dmac is probably the best hog football player ever and Matt jones is not in the top 5 at his position.  But for one play with the game on the line id take Matt jones.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

TrueBlue

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 01, 2015, 08:51:03 pm

Doesn't seem to matter much. Looks like 10 of one, and 12 of the other.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

ArkanSWAG

Cinco de Hogo

Matt Jones, he is still the most exciting players I have ever seen play the game of football.

And his legend grows!

Move over Galloping Ghost!

mhsbc59

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 01, 2015, 10:06:40 pm
Matt Jones, he is still the most exciting players I have ever seen play the game of football.

And his legend grows!

Move over Galloping Ghost!

great legend with an 8ball in back seat
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: mhsbc59 on July 01, 2015, 10:08:13 pm
great legend with an 8ball in back seat

I can work that in somewhere in the legend.

pigture perfect

MJ was just plain fun to watch. DMac was just plain good.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

redeye

If we're talking one play, I'd take Jones.  Otherwise I'd take D-Mac.

Torqued pork

KlubhouseKonnected

Only in Arkansas would this be a debate.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Hogimus Prime

Score an 8ball-Jones

Score a TD and Co eds-DMac

hoglady

DMac and it shouldn't even be a debate.
Matt Jones was great at making something out of nothing when the play busted.
I would even take Mallett over Matt Jones everyday to execute a called play.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Mike_e

I loved watching MJ but doubt he'd see the field with CBB unless he got his head together.

DMac in this offense would roll for 2500 yards a year.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

SamBuckhart

Quote from: Mike_e on July 02, 2015, 05:53:00 am
I loved watching MJ but doubt he'd see the field with CBB unless he got his head together.

DMac in this offense would roll for 2500 yards a year.
DMAC one of the greatest in college history. MJ was awesome soph though.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

WardamnHOGGLE

gmarv

d-mac the greatest hog football player ever.mj one of the most entertaining ever.

rickm1976

DMac was the best Hog running back ever, and probably one of the 2 or 3 greatest Hogs of all time, but for one play with the game on the line it has to be MJ.

thirrdegreetusker

I just cannot forget the MJ fumble, in the open field, that likely cost us the game on 9/11/04. That win would likely have changed the complexion of the season.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 01, 2015, 11:06:44 pm

That's what they call the short answer...I bet your next thought was something along the lines of The Confederate Flag and the KKK.

Or you can explain further.

Taking all that out of the equation, both players were great players with awesome athletic abilities.  As an individual picking a fav doesn't have to mean "only in Arkansas".

Torqued pork

EastexHawg

Because only Razorback fans watched every game Jones played for four years.

How many time did Jones actually produce the big play that was the difference between winning and losing?  The Miracle on Markham is the obvious choice, but he did it multiple times in one game when outdueling Eli Manning in the Seventh Heaven game in Oxford.  If any of the TDs or two point plays weren't converted...such as the pass to Jason Peters...we lose that game.

He threw the longest pass in Arkansas history in the final minutes to get us to OT against Tennessee in 2002.  He threw a TD pass to Richard Smith in the back of the end zone with seconds left to get us to OT at Alabama in 2003, in a game we eventually won.  He broke a long run in the final minute against Mississippi State to set up the come from behind winning score in DWRRS as a true freshman in 2001.

How many last minute big plays did McFadden break to win games?

McFadden was a great player, but Matt Jones is the most explosive and productive Razorback I have ever seen.  This year will be the 48th year that I have closely followed Arkansas football...not just how many years I have been alive...so I have seen quite a few.

To rephrase your comment, perhaps only at Arkansas would calling the player who holds the school records for total offense and touchdown production the most productive be chided as foolishness.  Calling McFadden a better passer is ridiculous, but it's one of those urban legends that seems to grow around here.  Jones is either second or third in Hog history in career TD passes, and I bet if we listed career passer rating in our media guide he would be in the top five there, too.

By the way, Jones also averaged more yards per carry for his career than McFadden.

Cinco de Hogo

I think it's great that they are neck to neck throughout the time of the poll.

downsouthhawg72

This shouldn't even be close. Matt Jones is not on the same level as DMac. Plus D-Mac can pass just as good as Matt Jones. So for 1 play I'm choosing DMac...whether it's a RB or QB it's still DMac.
DownSouthHawg

GolfnHog

Well, only in AR did these 2 greats play,  it's an interesting debate amongst fans until Aug. arrives.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Birminghog

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on July 01, 2015, 08:56:46 pm
Depends. 

If Gus called the play I'd trust DMAC to execute it out of the Wild Hog. 

If Hootie called the play I'd trust MJ to improvise anything other than the smoke draw that was called. 

If Bielema called the play the team lines up in punt formation and Irwin-Hill showing signs of the fake.  Tretola lined up as protector instead takes the pass from center and throws to MJ, lined up at TE who does a hook & ladder to a sprinting DMAC.   ;D

Ho, Orpheus!  Well met. +1 for creativity.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 02, 2015, 09:14:56 am
That's what they call the short answer...I bet your next thought was something along the lines of The Confederate Flag and the KKK.

Or you can explain further.

Taking all that out of the equation, both players were great players with awesome athletic abilities.  As an individual picking a fav doesn't have to mean "only in Arkansas".

Leave the state of Arkansas and ask "Darren McFadden or Matt Jones?" And more often than not the response you will get is "Matt who?"

Is this about favorite player? I see "pick one" which I thought indicated we were to pick one to have on a team, the majority of comments seem to be made under the same impression.

As for your rather inflammatory comments I'll just say that if you don't think that racial bias regularly plays into who becomes a "fan favorite" then you are being obtuse, but that of course was not my point as I believed we were talking about who we'd want on the field regardless of one's personal affinity for the individual.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 02, 2015, 10:52:06 am
Leave the state of Arkansas and ask "Darren McFadden or Matt Jones?" And more often than not the response you will get is "Matt who?"

Is this about favorite player? I see "pick one" which I thought indicated we were to pick one to have on a team, the majority of comments seem to be made under the same impression.

As for your rather inflammatory comments I'll just say that if you don't think that racial bias regularly plays into who becomes a "fan favorite" then you are being obtuse, but that of course was not my point as I believed we were talking about who we'd want on the field regardless of one's personal affinity for the individual.

As I said that was the short answer.  And yes it seemed to put Arkansans done for some personal reason which I ask you to explain.  As the poll is about even I would say most poster took a different view of the question and the answer than you did.

Glad you explained your position now just have some respect for others position.

For example, I live in Arkansas and travel all over the country but I took the question as how I thought not what someone in New York thought so that is how I answered and I answered truthfully. 

hawginbigd1

No-brainer, one worked hard, played with passion and used his god given freakishness to be the best he could be, the other just relied on his god given freakishness.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on July 02, 2015, 11:10:21 am
No-brainer, one worked hard, played with passion and used his god given freakishness to be the best he could be, the other just relied on his god given freakishness.

It's not a no brainer if you read the question, your answer shouldn't have anything to do with what you posted.

If you still think it's Dmac that is a fine answer, but it really doesn't call for bringing up all the other garbage.

Illinihog

Quote from: TrueBlue on July 01, 2015, 09:24:58 pm
This has to be a joke.

Please explain? It can be a very thought provoking topic.  I've gone back and forth between.  I believe it's a great debate.

Illinihog

DMac is the better football player and damn was he exciting.  1 play to score from the like the 2-3 yard line, i'm going DMac all day everyday.  From 5 yards and out I'm going Matt.  People rip his "drive", his "effort", but that guy left it out on the field every Saturday.  Ole Miss 7 OT's,  Bama 2 OT game.

Give me Matt 1 play to score.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Illinihog on July 02, 2015, 11:23:55 am
Please explain? It can be a very thought provoking topic.  I've gone back and forth between.  I believe it's a great debate.

Agreed!

umpqua

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 01, 2015, 08:51:03 pm
Ray Biggers was the kind of guy that that came along 10-12 years too late for football.

ckhawgu

I would take Matt Jones in a Gus offense & DMAC in a CBB offense!

razorbacker3

July 02, 2015, 02:34:06 pm #43 Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 02:47:03 pm by razorbacker3
I have been watching the Hogs since 1962 and Matt Jones has been the most exciting Hog of all. Not necessarily the best but definitely the most exciting.
I watched many games at Razorback stadium and War Memorial when Matt played and there was not a game, when at some point during the game, my friends and myself would collectively look at each other and say "how the he** did he do that"?

younghog

GO HOGS

EastexHawg

Since the OP qualified his thread title with "1 play to score" I'll ask again.  How many times did McFadden make a big play late to pull out a game vs. the number of times Matt Jones did it?  What examples can we cite?

For all the talk about ridiculous the question is, no one has answered.

bennyl08

Matt Jones. The odds of completing a long pass are greater than the odds of breaking a long run. The odds of a quarterback having more room to break a long run are higher than a rb. Matt Jones is much more capable of completing a long pass than Dmac and is very capable of breaking a long run. Dmac was generally more of a shorter pass person and while very capable of breaking long runs. However, even with sacks included, Jones averaged more ypc than DMac simply due to many of his rushes being scrambles on pass plays and the like.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 02, 2015, 03:35:37 pm
Since the OP qualified his thread title with "1 play to score" I'll ask again.  How many times did McFadden make a big play late to pull out a game vs. the number of times Matt Jones did it?  What examples can we cite?

For all the talk about ridiculous the question is, no one has answered.

If you have one play to score and you are outside your opponent's ten yard line you would have to be a pretty terrible quarterback for people to feel more comfortable handing the ball to a running back no matter who good he is. Like I said above I based my vote and original comment merely on the title not the op message.

ckhawgu

Ah heck...Matt Jones it is!

Dominicanhog

both on the field at the same time would be something to see...