• 382,513 Topics
• 21,391 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What does everyone make of the Final Fantasy VII remake? (Warning: Nerdy Video Game Discussion)  (Read 885 times)

ZERO

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

If you didn't hear, it was made official at E3 a couple weeks ago. It was probably my favorite game as a kid, and people have been wanting this thing to be remade since before remaking things was a trend.

The kid in me is excited, but the cynical adult in me has seen enough remakes to know that it's probably only going to tarnish it. Not to mention most, if not all, of the other FFVII related things that have been released the past decade were unnecessary and sub-par quality.

My biggest concern is the fact that turn-based combat and linear storied RPG's are kind of things of the past. It's all open-world MMO-style now, and the only way to make it appeal to a new generation is to completely gut it and overhaul it. But if you do that, it's not really Final Fantasy VII, is it? Things that made the original a masterpiece; things like Materia and the battle system, can't really remain intact.

I don't know. There's a good chance I'll end up buying it just to see what it's like, but #7 is commonly seen as the best game of the series, and one of the best games ever made. I didn't realize as a kid what I was wishing for when I wanted it to be re-released, because something that good generally shouldn't be touched, and the pressure to make it 100% perfect is immense and daunting. The quality of the games following the PS1 era kind of make me think that Square struck while the iron was hot, and they're just not going to be that good ever again.

Nonetheless, it's a pretty well-documented fact that, as good as the game was, it was very rushed and incomplete. There were multiple delays (it was originally supposed to be released in '95, not '97), and by the end of it, all of the coders were told they needed to start cutting corners and put a rush on everything, because it couldn't be delayed any longer. You can catch glimpses of evidence that the developers had more planned, so it really was due a polished and debugged re-release at the very least.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...

I'm definitely interested in how it turns out.  I've been playing final fantasy since the very first one.  I  replayed the original innumerable times.  One thing that made it replayable was there were several different character classes so you could mix and match a party of 4 so that every play through presented different challenges and benefits.

Since then FF has been more story driven with specific characters that come and go.  So the replayability has suffered, but the story telling and cinematics have been phenomenal IMO.  while I haven't played all the FF series, I am definitely a fan, and I think they have done a pretty good job integrating turn based strategy with real time combat.

If you haven't seen the movie Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, it is a must see. 

However, biting off more than they can chew seems to be a trend with Square Enix.  by the time the finish a game the software/hardware it was developed for is extinct and they have to redo it, leading to games that never get released. 

The Previews for FFXV looked sick, but who knows when it will be released and now they are working on a remake of FFVII? A lot of grand ideas, but we will see if ever gets released.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....

I don't think turn based, tatcial strategy gaming is completely a thing of the past-- look at the success of the renewed X-Com franchise, which retains it.   I hope they do for FFVII as well.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...

I don't think turn based, tatcial strategy gaming is completely a thing of the past-- look at the success of the renewed X-Com franchise, which retains it.   I hope they do for FFVII as well.
and for that reason I love xcom.  I'm kind of pissed the new one will be on PC only though.  my poor PC can barely run the old one, and the controls were more intuitive on the PS3 version.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...

did anyone play incubation from the win95 era?

ZERO

If you haven't seen the movie Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, it is a must see.

Although I didn't dislike that movie, it's hardly a must see, in my opinion. I watched it twice and wasn't overly impressed either time. My main issues with it were that the villains paled vastly in comparison to Sephiroth (who had basically a cameo in the movie), and that since the ending to the game was open-ended, the possibilities of a movie set shortly after the meteor were basically limitless. Instead, they went with this weird illness side-story that didn't answer any questions or advance the story in the universe in any way. I actually don't even remember any of the antagonists' names, now that I think about it. Maybe the one named Yazoo or Wazoo or whatever, but only because it's an unusual name.

However, biting off more than they can chew seems to be a trend with Square Enix.  by the time the finish a game the software/hardware it was developed for is extinct and they have to redo it, leading to games that never get released.

This is a really good point. I actually remember several years ago, I read an interview from one of the lead developers on the idea of a remake. It was a question he seemed to get asked yearly, and he said that apart from the schedules of key people needing to be cleared up (which has finally happened), the game would take a team of over 400 or 500 people (I forget which one) and would take several years to develop. So, does this mean a release date of any sooner than 2020 is out of the question? All of the excitement for it is going to be gone if they wait too long, and then doubt still start to seep in.

Maybe "thing of the past", isn't exactly the right phrasing. More like retro or a little outdated.

I really hope this whole thing works out, for the company's sake. If this is a critical success, then it could be an injection of confidence and renewed interest in the company. I remember in the SNES and PSX days, you could select a Square title at random and it was a revolutionary game. I'd really like to see them re-establish themselves as the de-facto RPG making company. Honestly, I've been far more excited for new Blizzard games in the past several years than Square games.

ZERO

did anyone play incubation from the win95 era?

I have not. I looked it up on Wikipedia just now, and I really do like tactical RPGs. The Fire Emblem and FF Tactics games are some of the best I've ever played. I hear Shining Force is really good, too, but I never had a Genesis to play it on.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian

I don't think it's particularly outdated or retro-  it just has to have a structured feel, where you can learn the progression logic, and move along it.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...

I don't think it's particularly outdated or retro-  it just has to have a structured feel, where you can learn the progression logic, and move along it.
its not COD, and 14 yo's don't have the necessary attention span, thus there is little demand for that style of game, which is sad, because I really like it.

Although I didn't dislike that movie, it's hardly a must see, in my opinion. I watched it twice and wasn't overly impressed either time.
I don't know, I liked it, the graphics were of the charts for its time, and I'm a big fan of the style.  'must see' may have been over the top, but its still one of my favs.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian

its not COD, and 14 yo's don't have the necessary attention span, thus there is little demand for that style of game, which is sad, because I really like it.
I don't know, I liked it, the graphics were of the charts for its time, and I'm a big fan of the style.  'must see' may have been over the top, but its still one of my favs.

Eh.  Between console and computer sales, X-Com sold over 3 million games.

There's still a market for it.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...

Eh.  Between console and computer sales, X-Com sold over 3 million games.

There's still a market for it.
wow I had no idea. 

though destiny sold 5 million in just the first week. and had 13 million players by christmas 3 months later
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:49:06 pm by PorkSoda »

TomasPistola

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Rest well good buddy.

I'm happy about the FF7 Remake. Please Square...don't ruin it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas