• 382,463 Topics
• 21,387 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Longest Flights  (Read 3388 times)

Vantage 8 dude

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Longest Flights
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2016, 01:09:06 pm »

Perhaps the longest I've heard or read about is a flight someone took from DFW to Sydney by way of Dubai. Can't give you a reason why the person choose to go west to east rather than going ahead and just taking the more widely flown route going the opposite way. However, one reason may have been this individual got to experience the Emirates Air, more specifically the business class portion, which along with the first class passengers get absolutely unrivaled service. Apparently many folks who do use the east route going that way stop in Dubai as a way to break up the trip.

Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head

• Semi-retired Eponymous Mod Accountability Manager
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2016, 02:49:42 pm »

Perhaps the longest I've heard or read about is a flight someone took from DFW to Sydney by way of Dubai. Can't give you a reason why the person choose to go west to east rather than going ahead and just taking the more widely flown route going the opposite way. However, one reason may have been this individual got to experience the Emirates Air, more specifically the business class portion, which along with the first class passengers get absolutely unrivaled service. Apparently many folks who do use the east route going that way stop in Dubai as a way to break up the trip.

Emirates is the best flying experience I've had in terms of comfort and "wowness". Flew with them coach from BNE to AKL a couple years ago. Just a couple hour flight that I wish had been extended. Couldn't imagine getting a pod. If I go back to Australia or New Zealand, I'd consider going through Dubsi to catch Emirates. Qantas isn't bad...depending on equipment. I'd also like to go Virgin Australian as well.

Back in 2010, I went SYD - LAX on Delta and was supposed to continue to ATL before coming back to XNA. Delta gave you 38 minutes to deplane, go through customs, etc. and get back to the gate. Over 150 people missed getting back and had to reroute. I was fortunate enough to work LAX-CVG-XNA as my plan but it was  real scene at the Delta counter for several hours. Thankfully, that was the day LeBron took his talents to south beach so there was something to watch at the bar in CVG.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2016, 07:46:19 am »

Our son routinely flies from California (usually San Fran) to Taipei, Taiwan for work where he has an office. He does that about every two to three weeks or so. Our daughter just got back from flying from Memphis to go visit him there.

P.S. Don't go to Taiwan in the summer. Hottest anywhere she's ever been she said.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 08:05:23 am by Inhogswetrust »

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Setting the edge since 1960
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2016, 10:12:28 am »

P.S. Don't go to Taiwan in the summer. Hottest anywhere she's ever been she said.

She's obviously never been in the middle of a Lonoke rice field in late July...

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2016, 03:06:32 pm »

True. But she has been in the middle of a south tejas cow pasture then.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2016, 05:04:54 pm »

Until you've been in waist high rice in the end of July-early August, you have no idea how hot it can get. The humidity coming up from the water/flood on the field is overwhelming.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2016, 05:21:53 pm »

Until you've been in waist high rice in the end of July-early August, you have no idea how hot it can get. The humidity coming up from the water/flood on the field is overwhelming.

You're preachin' to the choir, buddy.  And the horse flies and water moccasins are just icing on the cake.

Albert Einswine

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2016, 07:50:52 pm »

You're preachin' to the choir, buddy.  And the horse flies and water moccasins are just icing on the cake.

I did my share of time walking rice levees with a chinese backhoe slung up on my shoulder, making repairs as needed. It's a sauna. The snakes didn't bother me, but the horseflies did. I always found it interesting that mosquitoes would murder you anywhere outside the field on dry ground, but once you get in the field about 25 inside the levee they disappear. I guess there's not anything out in the field for them to pull blood from so they leave for the grass and woods.

pigture perfect

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2016, 06:13:22 pm »

I did my share of time walking rice levees with a chinese backhoe slung up on my shoulder, making repairs as needed. It's a sauna. The snakes didn't bother me, but the horseflies did. I always found it interesting that mosquitoes would murder you anywhere outside the field on dry ground, but once you get in the field about 25 inside the levee they disappear. I guess there's not anything out in the field for them to pull blood from so they leave for the grass and woods.
me too bro. Then to haul out the Red Rice and coffee beans you cut made it worse.

husker71

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2016, 01:47:39 pm »

I just made my reservations to go to Palawan Island and Boracay in the Philippines in Oct-Nov.  MY gosh they look beautiful but I have never been to these 2 islands (google them)   longest stretch is 15 1/2 hours 

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2016, 04:37:20 pm »

Metal gates or orange tarp gates?  My dad didn't like the tarp gates for some reason.  I guess because they tended to tear and get holes in them. 

And yet another thread I've managed to derail.

Albert Einswine

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2016, 05:24:08 pm »

Metal gates or orange tarp gates?  My dad didn't like the tarp gates for some reason.  I guess because they tended to tear and get holes in them. 

Tarp and a 2x4. Good times!

pigture perfect

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2016, 08:05:59 am »

Found out yesterday, that next summer I'll be taking 2 trips. One is not too far, the Mosquito coast of Honduras, but the other being Budapest Hungary. That will be another long flight. At my size anything over 8 hours is tough anymore.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2016, 01:39:42 pm »

On gumbo, metal gates, but they were some we copied off a friend in Danbury, TX. The guys that did the watering preferred the orange gates with the chains and fence posts. I always watered the zero grade fields.  ;)

RoaminHawg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2016, 12:31:17 am »

I just made my reservations to go to Palawan Island and Boracay in the Philippines in Oct-Nov.  MY gosh they look beautiful but I have never been to these 2 islands (google them)   longest stretch is 15 1/2 hours 
Boracay is one of the best beaches I have been too! Enjoy!

Großer Kriegschwein

• TF Mountain Warrior '09-'10
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2016, 03:03:58 pm »

Sitting here about to board a flight from OHare to South Korea, 14 hours of fun. Was curious if anyone has been on something similar or longer in the air without connecting.

I've flown to Seoul from San Fran, Detroit, Atlanta, Dallas, Sea-Tac, and LA.

oldhawg

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2016, 11:00:53 am »

My wife and I flew Emirates from Dubai to Dallas.  They do a very good job making long trips as comfortable as possible.  We will fly them whenever we get a chance.

theFlyingHog

• The hottie comes back when CMN is head Hog!
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2016, 06:47:50 pm »

Longest flight I've ever been on was the redeye SEA-ATL. Not the longest by time, but I couldn't sleep a wink and had been up for 28hrs by the time we landed. Even got drunk and sat in first class. Maybe it was that redhead flight attendant who forgot to button her blouse far enough to hide her ample cleavage

husker71

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2016, 07:16:22 pm »

just got back from Cebu    Dfw to Nrt 13 hours and then 5 hours Nrt to Cebu   brutal both coming and going

RoaminHawg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2016, 05:05:03 am »

Husker 71, how was Boracay and the Phillipines? I am heading back to Johannesburg, Monday!

ICEman

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2016, 10:19:35 am »

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2017, 07:25:42 pm »

Flown LA-Syd (and back) twice. Pay the extra for Air Australia or something of a nice airline. Don't take the cheapest possible ticket.

mizzouman

• Hogville.net
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2017, 11:54:24 am »

Went to HKG twice, once from ORD and once from DFW.  Both 16 hours but only like 14 hours coming back.

jkstock04

« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2017, 08:22:47 am »

Australia for me as well. I was sitting in the middle of one of the big rows. It was a terrible flight.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas