Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs looking at UALR Forward

Started by Hawg Red, May 06, 2015, 09:48:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

May 06, 2015, 09:48:44 am Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:10:25 am by Hawg Red
QuoteJeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 12 minutes ago

Memphis, Alabama, UGA, Ga Tech, Wichita St., GW, VCU, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Arkansas among schools pursuing UALR grad transfer James White.

Grad transfer, immediately eligible.

6'8, 220 - 11.9 PPG, 6.6 RPG, 1.7 BPG

Also missed the last 16 games of the season with an injury.

jry04

He is actually a forward, but it doesn't really matter.

6'8" 220lb coming into last season. I believe he missed the last half of the season due to injury, but he had some good games in the last two seasons against quality competition. Averaged 11pts 6 reb the last two seasons.

Had 6 points 9 rebounds earlier this season against BYU. 12 points 4 blocks 3 rebounds again Georgia State this season. 12 and 11 against Tulsa. Had 16 and 9 against Florida's Final four team from last year. All decent results against NIT or NCAAT teams. He is from GA, so I would think Bama, GA, or GT would have a better shot, but who knows.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 06, 2015, 09:48:44 am
Grad transfer, immediately eligible.

6'8, 220 - 11.9 PPG, 6.6 RPG, 1.7 BPG

Also missed the last 16 games of the season with an injury.
What is he looking for?  Playing time on a good team? 

This is the type of recruit I was wanting us to get.  A 3/4 with immediate eligibility.   I hope Thomas works out but we need help scoring this year.

-Blu

Wonder if this is one of the plans if we miss on Izundu.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on May 06, 2015, 10:07:26 am
Wonder if this is one of the plans if we miss on Izundu.

Would have to think he's a backup plan for more talented players.

The_Iceman

You could add him, and it not affect the scholarships for 2016, as he will only have 1 to play. But Izundu seems like a better 4 year prospect. I'm sure this is a backup plan for him.

jry04

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 06, 2015, 10:01:27 am
What is he looking for?  Playing time on a good team? 

This is the type of recruit I was wanting us to get.  A 3/4 with immediate eligibility.   I hope Thomas works out but we need help scoring this year.
Looks like he could give us Alandise Harris type production next season if he came in. I would love to take a 6'8" SF/PF type player that could give us about 8 pts 4-6 rebounds a game.

-Blu

Quote from: jry04 on May 06, 2015, 10:18:53 am
Looks like he could give us Alandise Harris type production next season if he came in. I would love to take a 6'8" SF/PF type player that could give us about 8 pts 4-6 rebounds a game.

Yea, I wouldn't complain about that transfer.

The_Iceman

Otis

Wouldn't be a bad pick up. He's much more talented than Alandise IMO. Taller and more athletic. Better scorer, rebounder and defender because of his height.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Otis on May 06, 2015, 11:07:36 am
Wouldn't be a bad pick up. He's much more talented than Alandise IMO. Taller and more athletic. Better scorer, rebounder and defender because of his height.

Alandise's stats are pretty much identical to his when he was at Houston. Alandise struggled against bigger teams, but he was a very solid and versatile defender.

razorbackfanatic

There's not many at all more athletic than Alandise. His put back dunk against us at Verizon when he played for Houston was epic.

razorbackfanatic

I really like the fact that he's 2" taller though and still 220ish rather than a smaller body build guy like Jacorey Williams type. Williams is listed at 218lbs but his build is very slender. He should be able to bang some down low and not be a huge height mismatch.

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: Otis on May 06, 2015, 11:07:36 am

Haha, more athletic? No.

NLRHog92

My best friend was a walk-on for UALR 2 years ago and I asked him today about James. He said he is a really hard worker that has a lot of potential, just didn't stay healthy. Said he could absolutely get up and throw it down. CMA system would also get him up and down the floor more.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on May 06, 2015, 11:35:11 pm
I really like the fact that he's 2" taller though and still 220ish rather than a smaller body build guy like Jacorey Williams type. Williams is listed at 218lbs but his build is very slender. He should be able to bang some down low and not be a huge height mismatch.

Yes Jacory needs to get bigger on strength and better on the defensive end. I wouldn't mind getting this kid to keep Jacory as a role player off the bench.

jry04

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on May 07, 2015, 10:01:33 am
Yes Jacory needs to get bigger on strength and better on the defensive end. I wouldn't mind getting this kid to keep Jacory as a role player off the bench.
Most feel Jacorey is our best defender, including Mike...

He does need to get stronger, but Jacorey is pretty active on defense, and can guard multiple positions. I feel his biggest weakness is playing out of control. He can fill up the stat sheet in a hurry, but can also turn it over 2 or 3 times on consecutive possessions. There were plenty of games where he would come in for 5 minutes and have something like 4 points, 3 rebounds, a block, a couple steals, an assists, but 3 turnovers all in that 5 minutes and get pulled because of his stupid turnovers.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: jry04 on May 07, 2015, 10:08:23 am

He does need to get stronger, but Jacorey is pretty active on defense, and can guard multiple positions. I feel his biggest weakness is playing out of control. He can fill up the stat sheet in a hurry, but can also turn it over 2 or 3 times on consecutive possessions. 

I guess you don't recall Karl Anthony Towns and Kennedy Meeks doing step through post moves on him over and over. I saw it. I saw it against ever decent big man. I don't care about blocking guards going to the lane on a penetration pick and roll play. Tell me what He did against Power 5 caliber bigs. It wasn't pretty.

rude1

Quote from: jry04 on May 07, 2015, 10:08:23 am

He does need to get stronger, but Jacorey is pretty active on defense, and can guard multiple positions. I feel his biggest weakness is playing out of control. He can fill up the stat sheet in a hurry, but can also turn it over 2 or 3 times on consecutive possessions. There were plenty of games where he would come in for 5 minutes and have something like 4 points, 3 rebounds, a block, a couple steals, an assists, but 3 turnovers all in that 5 minutes and get pulled because of his stupid turnovers.
Good break down on Jacorey, not nearly as bad as some fans think he is, definitely is a stat sheet stuffer, now we just need to get him to quit stuffing the turn over stat and up his free throw % on the sheet. I understand why some fans despise his game, he makes such mind numbing bad turnovers it makes you completely forget all the positive things he does.

Hawg Red

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on May 07, 2015, 10:12:02 am
I guess you don't recall Karl Anthony Towns and Kennedy Meeks doing step through post moves on him over and over. I saw it. I saw it against ever decent big man. I don't care about blocking guards going to the lane on a penetration pick and roll play. Tell me what He did against Power 5 caliber bigs. It wasn't pretty.

I'd imagine they did that to probably 99%, if not 100%, of the players they went up against.

Of course JaCorey isn't going to lock down opposing bigs, but that's also not what's expected of him. It's not expected of anyone on the team. That's not the kind of defense the Hogs play.

jry04

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on May 07, 2015, 10:12:02 am
You know KAT is about to be a top 2 pick, right? Jacorey must suck at defense if he let that guy score on him.

He rarely guarded Karl Anthony Townes in the 2 meetings, if ever. Jacorey isn't a big man, and we did not play him as a big man. Funny that you think he is. Also, Kennedy Meeks had 9 points, and I know at least 6 of them came off Bobby/Moses, and 1 came off a FT. He is also like 6'10 280lbs, so it is laughable that you would suggest we would put Jacorey on him. He guarded #44 Justin Jackson when Jacorey was in, not Meeks. Again, Mike feels he is one of our best, if not the best defender on the team. I will go with Mike on this one.

Hawg Red

I was pleased with JaCorey's progession from sophomore to junior seasons. I expect he'll develop and mature even more by his senior season. Hopefully he's in the gym tirelessly working on his FT stroke. He's a great defender, hustler, very energetic, and he can knock down a key 12-footer in the middle of a zone. He'll be very important for the Hogs this coming season, but it looks as though he's taking on the role that Alandise Harris had with many fans this past season of being unfairly hated on.

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 07, 2015, 10:36:32 am
I was pleased with JaCorey's progession from sophomore to junior seasons. I expect he'll develop and mature even more by his senior season. Hopefully he's in the gym tirelessly working on his FT stroke. He's a great defender, hustler, very energetic, and he can knock down a key 12-footer in the middle of a zone. He'll be very important for the Hogs this coming season, but it looks as though he's taking on the role that Alandise Harris had with many fans this past season of being unfairly hated on.
Along with Ky Madden. Many fans still hated on Ky Madden for the many late game mistakes he made in 2013-2014, and didn't appreciate how solid of a season he really had this past year. Without Madden, we do not win near as many road games as we did, in my opinion.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 07, 2015, 10:36:32 am

Another thing I think JaCorey will bring next year is toughness, last year we kinda had Harris, Qualls, and Portis to an extent fill that role.  I remember when Auburn was trying bully us JaCorey was one of the guys not backing down to them, you gotta have guys like that because some games are going to be physical and guys are going to be playing a little rough you need an enforcer in there.

Hogimus Prime

I really think JaCorey might see time at the 3

spahoopsfan

Quote from: jry04 on May 07, 2015, 10:32:55 am
You know KAT is about to be a top 2 pick, right? Jacorey must suck at defense if he let that guy score on him.

He rarely guarded Karl Anthony Townes in the 2 meetings, if ever. Jacorey isn't a big man, and we did not play him as a big man. Funny that you think he is. Also, Kennedy Meeks had 9 points, and I know at least 6 of them came off Bobby/Moses, and 1 came off a FT. He is also like 6'10 280lbs, so it is laughable that you would suggest we would put Jacorey on him. He guarded #44 Justin Jackson when Jacorey was in, not Meeks. Again, Mike feels he is one of our best, if not the best defender on the team. I will go with Mike on this one.

There were no real good defenders on the team.  The "team" defense was pretty good because after the defender got beat, which was quite often, someone would normally be aware and pick him up. Williams may be one of the best defenders on the team but that is only in comparisons to our other players. 

Otis

Ham Sandwich

Hawg Red

Hogs didn't make the cut for his final list.

The Hogfather

Hawg Red

Could very well be true, but an assumption. Hopefully is the case.

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 10, 2015, 11:26:51 am
Could very well be true, but an assumption. Hopefully is the case.

So you don't know whether he even had an offer to come here but present it as "we didn't make HIS final list."

Sounds negative.

TheRazorbackGuy

Hawg Red

Quote from: WarPig88 on May 10, 2015, 04:42:35 pm
So you don't know whether he even had an offer to come here but present it as "we didn't make HIS final list."

Sounds negative.

Doesn't matter whether or he had an offer. A list was released and we weren't on it. Deal with it. I don't care how you think it comes across. All I'm doing is presenting info. Was it negative when I started the thread about the Hogs interest in him? Get over it. It's pathetic how you and a couple of others chase me around these threads and whine and cry about every little thing I post. Get a life. Or a hobby. Or a girl. Or a guy. Or whatever floats your boat, but get off my ass.

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 10, 2015, 06:59:50 pm
All I'm doing is presenting info.

.........and blasting the staff in other threads about doing a poor job recruiting. Deal with that.

You presented this in a biased way as if this guy cut us, when you don't know if he was ever given the option to do so.

I haven't seen anywhere that we were serious on this guy or even interested for that matter. Not to mention, right now, we have a real shot at bringing in 2 talented frosh in place of the scholarship this guy would take up.

But you merely imparting info, LOL!

Hawg Red

The tweet quoted in the OP states that Arkansas was among pursuing schools. There was at least some level of interest. All I did was post that we were not on his list of 5 official visits, thus not making his final list (presumably). It doesn't matter to me if we offered or not because the book appears to be shut. I don't feel the need to realize every little thing that is obvious by saying "Well, we may not have even offered." No one can say either way until something comes out either way. How you got negativity out of that, I don't know. Well, I do know. You're a crusader of a cause that doesn't need crusading. Running around picking fights that don't need to be picked because you don't like what people say or how you perceive that they say it. You're logically and rationally retarded.

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 10, 2015, 07:26:10 pm
The tweet quoted in the OP states that Arkansas was among pursuing schools. There was at least some level of interest. All I did was post that we were not on his list of 5 official visits, thus not making his final list (presumably). It doesn't matter to me if we offered or not because the book appears to be shut. I don't feel the need to realize every little thing that is obvious by saying "Well, we may not have even offered." No one can say either way until something comes out either way. How you got negativity out of that, I don't know. Well, I do know. You're a crusader of a cause that doesn't need crusading. Running around picking fights that don't need to be picked because you don't like what people say or how you perceive that they say it. You're logically and rationally retarded.

I quote, "Hogs didn't make the cut for his final list."

There is only ONE way that can be taken. The Hogs got cut.

The only way to get cut from something is to have your hat in the ring. You do NOT know if we were ever offering this guy an opportunity or not.

Yet you say, "Hogs didn't make the cut for his final list", as if he rejected our offer.

So, no, you didn't merely present information. You presented it with your personal bias that this staff is screwing up this year's recruiting as you have said in this forum and in the recruiting forum.

"Are we still interested in this guy? He has set his visits and we aren't one of them." That is an example of simply giving info. A far cry from how you put it.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. LOL

Hawg Red

My god.

Something out of nothing.

Notice that there was another poster that said he didn't make our list (which he doesn't know to be the case), but no issue with that. Only what I said. Because you're OBSESSED.

TomBigBeeHog

really need to land Izundu now. Kingsley is going to need some help.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on May 10, 2015, 07:52:39 pm
really need to land Izundu now. Kingsley is going to need some help.

Thompson should be able to help. At least I hope he can progress to that point .

Carl Lazlo

Jacorey needs to work on his pull up jumper and free throws.

The Hogfather

I hope we didn't cut him too soon.  I think the coaches felt really good about Izundu, so they didn't pursue this guy.  I really thought we'd get a commitment on his visit.  Hopefully, we'll get one today or tomorrow.

HoopS

I don't know that we cut him. I think some figured since he was at UALR that he was automatically ours if we offered but he isn't a local kid who grew up wanting a Hog offer.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on May 10, 2015, 10:08:03 pm
Jacorey needs to work on his pull up jumper and free throws.
doesn't every ball player in the world need to do that? Even Klay n Steph need to do that, lol.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

hoglady

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 11, 2015, 06:28:24 am
I hope we didn't cut him too soon.  I think the coaches felt really good about Izundu, so they didn't pursue this guy.  I really thought we'd get a commitment on his visit.  Hopefully, we'll get one today or tomorrow.

So, where do we go from here if we don't get Izundu?
The pickins are getting slim. This basketball recruiting with all these players deciding later and later - really puts staffs in some hard situations. Looks like we're trying to hold out for Izundu and Kevaughn - can't blame them for that.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hawg Red

Quote from: hoglady on May 11, 2015, 09:37:34 am
So, where do we go from here if we don't get Izundu?
The pickins are getting slim. This basketball recruiting with all these players deciding later and later - really puts staffs in some hard situations. Looks like we're trying to hold out for Izundu and Kevaughn - can't blame them for that.

I'd go full-court on Ty Outlaw along with the obvious KeVaughn Allen push. I think, if we miss on Izundu, Outlaw and Allen are the last vestiges of hope for the late period. Maybe there are some good grad transfer out there, I don't know.

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 10, 2015, 07:49:03 pm
My god.

Something out of nothing.

Notice that there was another poster that said he didn't make our list (which he doesn't know to be the case), but no issue with that. Only what I said. Because you're OBSESSED.

I am not the guy in every thread whining that the coaches haven't recruited well. That would be YOU.

You seem to be a little testes.........I mean testy on this subject. LOL

Hawg Red

Quote from: WarPig88 on May 11, 2015, 11:03:08 am
I am not the guy in every thread whining that the coaches haven't recruited well. That would be YOU.

You seem to be a little testes.........I mean testy on this subject. LOL

I don't complain about the coaches not recruiting well in every thread. Far from it. That's you not being able to LET GO.