Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vietnam  (Read 821 times)

pigture perfect

• Gold Hogvillian
Vietnam
« on: March 15, 2015, 01:45:29 am »

My daughter has been approved for a missions trip to Vietnam. How concerned should I be for her safety? I know she's doing this for the right reasons, I'm just a little worried at this point.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
Re: Vietnam
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 02:04:49 am »

Why would you be worried?

Vietnam is a safe enough place.  It may not be Singapore, but its not bad.   Its as safe as many places in Europe, and better than places like The Phillippines, or less desirable Asian destinations.

There are the usual warnings about things like dangly jewelry, women exposing their purses to snatching, and avoiding dodgy looking motorcycle taxis, but those things are hardly unique nor especially severe for Vietnam.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

pigture perfect

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 03:34:06 am »

Have you been there Erie?

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 04:39:44 am »

Not for an extend
Have you been there Erie?

Never for more than a day or two, but three times.  Its the sort of place that it feels really odd to walk down the street, realizing that things were so different than they were 50 years ago that you might as well have been on a different planet.

Only comparable places in that regard, that I've been, are Belgrade and Minsk.

Kodiak

• Hogvillian
  • Bruce Walker
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 11:08:40 am »

I am a little bias about that place, and it was over 40 years since i was there.
I would not trust anything about Nam. Sorry!

Blue35

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 09:23:13 pm »

Vietnam is truly a beautiful country. I was fortunate to see most of South Vietnam from the mountains to the coast from the front seat of a helicopter. Saigon was an amazing place as was Da Nang and the beaches.

I have friends who have been back and tell me they had a wonderful time going down memory lane. I have never been back and probably won't ever go. Just too many memories of all the killing we had to do and the friends that we lost. So sad.

husker71

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 09:25:55 am »

some web sites are starting to list it as a very desirable place to retire for Americans.  Price sure seems right

Pork Twain

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Calling the Hogs from Kabul, Afghanistan
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 10:46:30 am »

No more or less dangerous than any other location in Asia.  As with any place, it will depend on who you are with and where you are going.  I spent 5 years in PACOM and conducted a country study on Vietnam, no red flags popped up.

BirmingHam

• Senior
  • I do believe; I do, I do, I do......
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 08:43:17 pm »

Spent 3 weeks in Ho Chi Mihn City (Saigon) and Da Nang over Thanksgiving 2015.  My oldest son's in-laws live in Ho Chi Mihn City and he was renewing his vows for her family.  We only had one incident at the airport to fly to Da Nang, they wanted all US passports to pay an extra $100 each to board.  We missed the flight, but in-laws know people so we got a later flight at no extra charge with an apology.  We freely roamed the city, but with locals we didn't have any problems.  Da Nang is extremely inexpensive and now a resort.  In the mountains above Da Nang is Bana Hills, cool place to visit.  Sea Food is out of this world, and it doesn't take much money to do anything.

pigture perfect

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 11:22:13 pm »

My daughter returned and can't stop talking about how beautiful the land and the people are. My concerns were unfounded. God blessed her trip greatly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas