Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 Spring Depth Chart has been released

Started by Rooka, March 11, 2015, 08:54:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooka

Biggest surprise is where is JoJo? Maybe it's a message to fight his way back up the ladder?

GrizzlyRider07

Hmm a few Notables no WR-JoJo Robinson or Kendrick Edwards also no LB - Randy Ramsey
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

bigdaddyhawg

VERY interesting lineup there on the OL, huh?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on March 11, 2015, 08:59:08 am
Hmm a few Notables no WR-JoJo Robinson or Kendrick Edwards also no LB - Randy Ramsey

Wonder if this is an indication of their level of commitment to their off-season workouts?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Wildhog

I had been hearing a lot of good things about Hackett.  Glad to see him up there.
1909/1964/1965/1977

collegestationhog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 11, 2015, 09:02:14 am
Wonder if this is an indication of their level of commitment to their off-season workouts?
Ive heard JoJo had some issues, havent heard anything about Ramsey or Edwards, thats a surprise to me

Wildhog

Quote from: collegestationhog on March 11, 2015, 09:06:38 am
Ive heard JoJo had some issues, havent heard anything about Ramsey or Edwards, thats a surprise to me

Ramsey had some issues last year.  Hope he got his ish together.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

If Denver's quick enough to play LT, that's an absolutely brutal OL.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Coley being groomed to be Gaines' replacement?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Drew Morgan battling Duwop for a #2 spot.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tim Harris

LB is surprising to me.  Ramsey played well at times and he was one I thought would make a big impact this year.

Obviously just the first release and things will probably be different by the time the Spring Game gets here.

Tim Harris

Also my guess is the OL shifts around quite a bit between now and the first game next year.

Wildhog

Quote from: Tim Harris on March 11, 2015, 09:16:05 am
LB is surprising to me.  Ramsey played well at times and he was one I thought would make a big impact this year.

Gotta take care of your business off the field.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Johnson/Ledbetter will be fun to watch.  I think we're going to have another great defense.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tim Harris

Another area to watch will be what LB comes off the field and what additional DB comes on during obvious passing situations.

Wildhog

Quote from: Tim Harris on March 11, 2015, 09:20:30 am
Another area to watch will be what LB comes off the field when we got Nickel and what additional DB to we put out there.

I was wondering about that.  I think DJ Dean would make a nice replacement for Tevin.  Or maybe Coley?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tim Harris

Quote from: Wildhog on March 11, 2015, 09:20:58 am
I was wondering about that.  I think DJ Dean would make a nice replacement for Tevin.

I'm thinking Dean comes on for Williams.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Wildhog

Quote from: Tim Harris on March 11, 2015, 09:21:42 am
I'm thinking Dean comes on for Williams.

Williams?

Oh, I see what you're saying now.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

I suspect there's some motivation in that chart, both listed and not. If it's the same after spring practice/game, then we'll have some discussions, lol.

RazorPiggie

pigroots

Most of this looks exciting for 2015. It appears to me we our lack of depth may be the most obvious on the DL. Which one or two of these guys do you think might be our best pass rushers? That's where not having Trey Flowers may hurt since so many of these SEC teams like to throw it around.

Rooka

Quote from: Wildhog on March 11, 2015, 09:08:33 am
If Denver's quick enough to play LT, that's an absolutely brutal OL.
Just hope they can all stay healthy. We can't afford many injuries there.

Wildhog

Quote from: pigroots on March 11, 2015, 09:28:08 am
Most of this looks exciting for 2015. It appears to me we our lack of depth may be the most obvious on the DL. Which one or two of these guys do you think might be our best pass rushers? That's where not having Trey Flowers may hurt since so many of these SEC teams like to throw it around.

The DL is one of the places where we have the MOST depth.

The OL is where we have no depth.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Kevin

love the offensive line. i think we will see some screen passes. look for ragnow to be able to pull some.

i hope ramsey comes on
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wildhog

Very frustrating that we totally burned Brown and Floyd's RS for absolutely no reason.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on March 11, 2015, 09:32:01 am
Very frustrating that we totally burned Brown and Floyd's RS for absolutely no reason.

What's Floyd's injury?

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

bennyl08

The two starting TE's has been removed from the depth chart in favor of just listing one starting TE.

Rumors of having Kirkland kick out to LT are true, but even more interesting, look at the second string. Three true freshmen, and a RS freshmen. That wouldn't surprise me to see that later sometime during the actual season, but pre-spring practices is interesting.

At DE, not a surprise to some, but Loewen is down to fourth string DE to start the spring. Also, Wise Jr is the currently slotted to be the other starter. However, I fully expect us to rotate quite a few guys in. Which leads to Brown and Beanum being second string. Coaches have talked about them a good bit, but to see Leowen and Lewis buried down so far is interesting.

At DT, interesting to see Ledbetter slotted there, though not terribly shocking given the 4-deep listed at DE. Also, Jackson listed over Hodge. Muskogee owes me $5.  ;) JK.

I've never understood the hype of Ramsey so to see Hackett and Eugene ahead isn't surprising to me, but two walkons ahead of him?? I'm not sure if that says more about what the coaches think of Ramsey or the quality of our walk-on program.

CB has Toliver starting with Collins on the other side. I'm guessing if nickel was listed, Dean would be the first string there.

No real surprises at S, though add another walk-on to the two deep.

No kicker/punter depth charts?

Also, I only later saw the part about the injured players which could play a role with Lewis and Loewen's position on the depth chart.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

sowmonella

One Senior (Gaines) listed as starter on Defense. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Wildhog

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 11, 2015, 09:38:49 am
Rumors of having Kirkland kick out to LT are true, but even more interesting, look at the second string. Three true freshmen, and a RS freshmen. That wouldn't surprise me to see that later sometime during the actual season, but pre-spring practices is interesting.

There really aren't any other options.  We just haven't been signing enough OL, as I've been saying for years, now.

QuoteAlso, I only later saw the part about the injured players which could play a role with Lewis and Loewen's position on the depth chart.

This is what I assume.
1909/1964/1965/1977

bennyl08

Quote from: Wildhog on March 11, 2015, 09:29:51 am
The DL is one of the places where we have the MOST depth.

The OL is where we have no depth.

OL and LB'er. Unless Ellis declares as a junior, our LB depth could be great in 2016, but it will be an issue this year. OL has scholarship players through and through, though 4 of the backups are freshmen. Granted, they are young scholarship guys beating out old scholarship guys indicating talent over experience. At LB, we have young walk-ons who have beat out a young scholarship guy.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Wildhog

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 11, 2015, 09:43:32 am
OL and LB'er. Unless Ellis declares as a junior, our LB depth could be great in 2016, but it will be an issue this year. OL has scholarship players through and through, though 4 of the backups are freshmen. Granted, they are young scholarship guys beating out old scholarship guys indicating talent over experience. At LB, we have young walk-ons who have beat out a young scholarship guy.

Ramsey, Graham and Greenlaw aren't being taken into account at LB.  While we're not in a great spot, it's not as thin as it looks.

We have to sign a a bare minimum of five OL this year.  Six would be preferable.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ChicoHog

Johnson at DT instead of NG?  Because jackson is better suited to NG?  JOhnson may have to put on some weight if he is moving. 

Wildhog

Quote from: Wildhog on March 11, 2015, 09:45:53 am
Ramsey, Graham and Greenlaw aren't being taken into account at LB.  While we're not in a great spot, it's not as thin as it looks.

Also, we don't really go with three LB's on the field that often.  I'm very curious to see who's playing the nickel.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PaintballHog

So if Wallace was one of best looking lineman Pittman has ever seen coming out of highschool, how is he not a starter? And if JoJo isn't doing well, that's a huge hit IMO.

Also looks like Ramirez isn't moving to safety

JaketheSnake

Depth sets us up nicely for 2016 as well.

Wildhog

Quote from: PaintballHog on March 11, 2015, 10:04:31 am
So if Wallace was one of best looking lineman Pittman has ever seen coming out of highschool, how is he not a starter?

Uh, because he has zero experience and we have Skipper/Kirkland?  He'll get his experience this year and be a star for us down the road. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

HF#1

I think JoJo has to prove himself a little more.  I do wonder what has happened with Kendrick.  He played last season.  Not listed on this depth chart.

I thought for sure Ramsey would step into that outside LB spot vacated by Spaight.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

bennyl08

Quote from: Wildhog on March 11, 2015, 09:45:53 am

We have to sign a a bare minimum of five OL this year.  Six would be preferable.

And you forgot K. Jackson at LB, but I hold by my statement. We only have one guy at LB this year who has extensive playing time. Every other LB on the roster has at most seen a couple spot starts and mostly just played in a reserve role. They may all be phenomenally talented, but they are also all still green, hence no depth.

I agree we need to build more depth at the OL, but you may also be forgetting about Jackson Hannah, Koehler, and Jackson who aren't on this list. Unless Kirkland leaves early, we will return 10 scholarship players next year. Enough to fill up a two deep w/o repetition or walkons, plus whatever we sign in 2016. I don't think having a complete 3-deep is mandatory at the OL, though of course it would be nice. Coming into this season, we didn't have enough bodies to even fill a complete two deep at LB. By default, we would have had either one walk-on or repetition in the two deep.

Hogfan46

PaintballHog

Quote from: Wildhog on March 11, 2015, 10:10:03 am
Uh, because he has zero experience and we have Skipper/Kirkland?  He'll get his experience this year and be a star for us down the road.

Experience doesn't seem to be an issue to BB since Skipper and Kirkland both started as true freshman. If Wallace is as good as the coaches led us to believe, he should be a starter.

So either he's not as good as we were led to believe, or our line is so good that the players on that list developed passed Wallace.

Wildhog

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 11, 2015, 10:13:38 am
And you forgot K. Jackson at LB, but I hold by my statement. We only have one guy at LB this year who has extensive playing time. Every other LB on the roster has at most seen a couple spot starts and mostly just played in a reserve role. They may all be phenomenally talented, but they are also all still green, hence no depth.

I agree we need to build more depth at the OL, but you may also be forgetting about Jackson Hannah, Koehler, and Jackson who aren't on this list. Unless Kirkland leaves early, we will return 10 scholarship players next year. Enough to fill up a two deep w/o repetition or walkons, plus whatever we sign in 2016. I don't think having a complete 3-deep is mandatory at the OL, though of course it would be nice. Coming into this season, we didn't have enough bodies to even fill a complete two deep at LB. By default, we would have had either one walk-on or repetition in the two deep.

If we're going with two LB's on the field, we've got enough depth.  It's not ideal depth, but we've got some.

Koehler has done nothing to suggest he'll ever contribute, and why in the world would I include Jackson Hannah?  Also, who is "Jackson" on the OL?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Rooka

Quote from: Hogfan46 on March 11, 2015, 10:13:59 am
No Hjalte Froholdt surprises me.
I think it all boils down to Coach doesn't want to throw these kids right to the top of the depth charts when they haven't even been through spring drills. Doesn't send the right message to the ones that have put in a ton of work already compared to those that just stepped on campus. On the OLine, there wasn't really much choice other than what is listed.

Wildhog

Quote from: PaintballHog on March 11, 2015, 10:16:36 am
Experience doesn't seem to be an issue to BB since Skipper and Kirkland both started as true freshman. If Wallace is as good as the coaches led us to believe, he should be a starter.

So either he's not as good as we were led to believe, or our line is so good that the players on that list developed passed Wallace.

Not sure if you're trolling?

Skipper and Kirkland have two full years of SEC experience (and success) under their belts.  A RS freshman with no experience should not surpass them in the spring depth chart.  That's just asinine.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Iceman

I think some are reading way too much into this depth chart. Let's see where this lies at the end of the Spring. A lot of this may be the coaches trying to motivate some talented players who haven't done enough yet.

Wildhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 11, 2015, 10:22:23 am
I think some are reading way too much into this depth chart. Let's see where this lies at the end of the Spring. A lot of this may be the coaches trying to motivate some talented players who haven't done enough yet.

Oh, there's absolutely some motivation in there.
1909/1964/1965/1977