• 382,440 Topics
• 21,386 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Military/Veteran Charities  (Read 529 times)

BENTON PIGGEE

• Senior
  • Keg>>>>>six-pack
Best Military/Veteran Charities
« on: March 08, 2015, 12:45:55 pm »

Thank you for your service. I am not a vet so I would like to help out those in need as a smalll token of my appreciation. Wounded Warrior Project looks good, but they use 20% of donations for administrative/advertising costs. Are there any better ones out there?

hilljack

• Varsity
Re: Best Military/Veteran Charities
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 06:15:23 pm »

I'll revisit an old post... 

Team RWB (teamrwb.org) is a great organization.  It's run by an Army Vet, and acts more like a community than a charitable organization.  Vets, Active Duty, Reservists and non-vets can join and participate in the local group activities.  Most local chapters will have social events and weekly work outs (running, hiking, biking, etc.).  There are also leadership/fitness (such as triathlon, surfing, rock climbing...) camps that are offered on occasion.  The idea is that community along with physical activity promotes a solid foundation to cope with the variety of issues vets may face.   

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

BENTON PIGGEE

• Senior
  • Keg>>>>>six-pack
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 10:52:43 pm »

Thanks, I'll look into it!

The Chief

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 01:57:16 pm »

Fisher House is a good one.  About 99% of proceeds go to servicemen and women's families to stay in close proximity to a military hospital (or civilian hospital) while the serviceman or woman receives the medical care he or she needs.

https://www.fisherhouse.org/

Großer Kriegschwein

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • TF Mountain Warrior '09-'10
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 10:13:54 pm »

Fisher House is a good one.  About 99% of proceeds go to servicemen and women's families to stay in close proximity to a military hospital (or civilian hospital) while the serviceman or woman receives the medical care he or she needs.

https://www.fisherhouse.org/

Completely concur about the Fisher House.

They operate many lodges.

It is the Fisher House at Dover that houses families for the Dignified Transfer (an opportunity for the family to see their deceased loved one return to American soil if killed in theater).

In 2013 when the government shut down, it was the Fisher House that gave 4 families of deceased service members a $25,000 gift because the government couldn't give them death gratuity (money to offset lack of income between the time the SM dies and his wife/NOK begins drawing benefits).

Very solid organization.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas