Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

moncrief

Started by thirrdegreetusker, February 06, 2015, 03:06:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

thirrdegreetusker

Article today about putting his number back in the rafters. He averaged 16+ points, and 8+ rebounds a game for his entire four-year career. Incredible consistency and excellence.

Had his degree before he went to NBA camp. Stayed in Fayetteville and took summer classes to get his degree before camp, even though, as the fifth overall pick, most players would have never thought of doing that. Got the big contract, why bother?

Paul

SuperSid!(in Al Maquire accent)  My fave Hog of all time!

Cresthog

We are putting his name in the rafters?

I really wish we'd do that, it looks cool.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Paul on February 06, 2015, 03:28:03 pm

Same here!
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Kevin

I hope there is a highlight video, we get to see.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Pig Worshipper

He was a very good player when he came to Fayetteville from Little Rock Hall but he worked doubly hard and became a great player under Eddie Sutton. He was especially tenacious on defense and never quit playing hard. I loved watching him with the Milwaukee Bucks coached by Don Nelson.

davril98

Putting it back in the rafters? Why was it taken out of the rafters? He was all American and all nba first team several years. All defense team in the nba for years and defensive player of the year a couple of times. Hell yeah he should be in the rafters before anybody else.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: davril98 on February 06, 2015, 09:32:44 pm
Putting it back in the rafters? Why was it taken out of the rafters? He was all American and all nba first team several years. All defense team in the nba for years and defensive player of the year a couple of times. Hell yeah he should be in the rafters before anybody else.

He was in Barnhill but it has never been put up in BWA.  For years after moving to BWA, we didn't have banners up.  It was stupid.  What was in Barnhill should have been replicated in BWA as far as individual and teams being recognized.  Moncrief wasn't. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

1highhog

Funny how I've never noticed that.  I thought his Jersey had long been hoisted in the rafters and I just never look up and pay attention, the games going on, I'm riveted to the action on the Court action.  TV timeouts and half times, I'm warching our cheerleading and Pom squads, they need support to.

gmarv

by the time his day was over as a razorback. he was the most well know person in Arkansas.he was and most probable is one of the nicest people in sports.
I think he is the greatest hog ever.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

They should take down everbody if Sid ain't up there. Which Einstein brung it down? 

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Paul on February 06, 2015, 03:28:03 pm
word
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

razorback93

If not for knee problems slowing him down, he probably would have been a shoo-in for HOF

hog.goblin

Quote from: OTR on February 07, 2015, 06:45:38 am
They should take down everbody if Sid ain't up there. Which Einstein brung it down? 

When in doubt, blame it on...

John White.  He deserves the blame whether he was around yet or not.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: 1highhog on February 07, 2015, 03:42:27 am
Funny how I've never noticed that.  I thought his Jersey had long been hoisted in the rafters and I just never look up and pay attention, the games going on, I'm riveted to the action on the Court action.  TV timeouts and half times, I'm warching our cheerleading and Pom squads, they need support to.
Our cheerleaders and pom pom squad aren't the Southern Cal sweater girls. They appear to have all the support they need.

alohawg

Quote from: gmarv on February 07, 2015, 06:16:02 am
by the time his day was over as a razorback. he was the most well know person in Arkansas.he was and most probable is one of the nicest people in sports.
I think he is the greatest hog ever.

I remember being glued to the radio for many hog games listening to Moncrief, Brewer and Delph. Great times and fond memories.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

OLDHOG

He help put Arkansas basketball on the map. Great player, great person.

texhog

was there any sort of ceremony yesterday for Moncrief's number in the rafters?  If so, is there video of it?  I didn't see it on SECN.

1highhog

Quote from: texhog on February 08, 2015, 09:59:54 am
was there any sort of ceremony yesterday for Moncrief's number in the rafters?  If so, is there video of it?  I didn't see it on SECN.

There was at the game, but not on TV, they don't show any of the halftime activity on TV anymore.

1highhog

Quote from: razorback93 on February 07, 2015, 09:19:16 am
If not for knee problems slowing him down, he probably would have been a shoo-in for HOF

If not for the great Celtic teams and 76er's during Moncriefs heyday he would have made the finals at least 2 times, perhaps 3, and would have won at least one Title.  That would have put him in the HOF for sure.  The Bucks never had the talent though of the Celtics, but came close almost every year in beating them, Moncrief was a monster defensive player and could easily chip in 16pts a game, I'm not sure if they counted steals then or not, I'll have to check.

Mick Hogger

It was a brief ceremony with Delph and Brewer presenting the replica to him and then they dropped the real deal. If you are sitting on the side looking at the midcourt hog, it's up on the right. US Reed and few other members from his team were unannounced but were on the court. His family was there, including his mother who was visiting Fayetteville for the first time since 1979.

They said he was the first of 5 that will be honored. Haven't heard anything about the other two. Maybe women's players?
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Paul

Yes, the other 2 are women.  They had a great long interview during the 2nd half. Sid was humble & credited his team, especially Delph & Brewer.  He's the best representative of Hog athletics ever