Black Bears 4 0f 19 from three tonight, 62 points in loss at UGA.... :puke:

Sivad

Quote from: regi on January 20, 2015, 08:11:31 pm
Stunning.

forrest city joe

Quote from: regi on January 20, 2015, 08:11:31 pm
Even i have posted that we are playing no defense. anybody can see that. it's Mike and his coaches job to fix it. and i believe they will. got to play defense.UGA gave up very few lay-ups and Dunks. and not many open threes. that is why Ole Miss scored only 64 points.

Danny J

Yes....we are #7 in scoring offense nationally and #300 in scoring D. That is a huge disparity. We need to get better on D without question. Have struggled doing that all season and we are not getting any better. As a matter of fact we look to be getting worse. Our offense is very consistent though.

razortv

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 20, 2015, 08:41:38 pm
Even i have posted that we are playing no defense. anybody can see that. it's Mike and his coaches job to fix it. and i believe they will. got to play defense.UGA gave up very few lay-ups and Dunks. and not many open threes. that is why Ole Miss scored only 64 points.

What makes you think it can be fixed? I watched some old clips of Nolan's teams the past few days. I can assure you, this team and its leaders are not playing or teaching that type of defense. I find it odd that we are this bad on defense and CMA has talked how we are going to guard them when they get off the bus. These are his words and thus far the product he preached is not close to that level. Effort and adjustments can fix this problem and I hope we see both against Alabama. They are both long overdue.

Biggus Piggus

MA is mailing it in. Getting the Arkansas job satisfied him.
[CENSORED]!

grayhawg

96 points along with better than 70% shooting pretty well shows what kind of defensive effort we had.

Danny J

Quote from: razortv on January 20, 2015, 09:26:45 pm
What makes you think it can be fixed? I watched some old clips of Nolan's teams the past few days. I can assure you, this team and its leaders are not playing or teaching that type of defense. I find it odd that we are this bad on defense and CMA has talked how we are going to guard them when they get off the bus. These are his words and thus far the product he preached is not close to that level. Effort and adjustments can fix this problem and I hope we see both against Alabama. They are both long overdue.
You may be right....it might not get fixed this year. It might not be able to be fixed unless somehow CMA adjusts to this specific group of players. We weren't all that great last year but we lost 3 really good defensive players especially at the guard spot. We are even worse this year.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 20, 2015, 09:28:21 pm

Hmm. I'll disagree with that. I think he's not as good as Nolan at adjusting his system. Kennedy is an X's and O's master. That's why he has (with the notable exception of last year) dominated Mike over his time here.

HSVhogfan2

MAs toilet is stopped up and he doesn't have the stomach to get the plunger, and flush out the turds that got him stopped up. Maybe AR needs to hire Nolan and let him be the plumber for a couple of weeks.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

pigroots

Let's be honest FCJ...He can't fix it or he already would have. We are over halfway through the season. It should be fixed by now

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: pigroots on January 20, 2015, 10:35:16 pm
Let's be honest FCJ...He can't fix it or he already would have. We are over halfway through the season. It should be fixed by now

Problems, whether on sports teams or in business organizations, boil down to either a people problem or a process problem. AR is a people problem. I do agree with you though that MA is not strong enough to fix it. He is Hoping it will work itself out. It ain't.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

pigroots

We do not play with the physicality it takes to be a good defensive team. Other times effort and poor gambles are issues on the defensive end

Kevin

I am going to take up for cma here. Yes the defense has been horrid. But, the way we play leads to more possessions in a game than the way many teams play today.

So to just look at scores, and draw a conclusion is not comparable. Mark fox at Georgia is going to try and limit the number of possessions each game.

That doesn't solve the hogs problem, but the hogs are always going to give the opponent more chance to score than most teams.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: grayhawg on January 20, 2015, 09:32:03 pm
96 points along with better than 70% shooting pretty well shows what kind of defensive effort we had.

Better than 70% shooting?  What game are you talking about?

grayhawg

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 21, 2015, 12:54:20 am
Better than 70% shooting?  What game are you talking about?
Ole Miss shot 70% in the first half against Ark and 56% for the game, it was over at the half.

rude1

I am like others, if it is indeed fixable, then why are we seeing the same defensive lapses all season? Our guys believe in order to speed the game up to their liking they need to let the other team score as quick as possible so we can get the ball back and play on the end of the court we like the best.

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HogBreath

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on January 20, 2015, 10:32:59 pm
Hmm. I'll disagree with that. I think he's not as good as Nolan at adjusting his system. Kennedy is an X's and O's master. That's why he has (with the notable exception of last year) dominated Mike over his time here.
Kennedy may be a master with the x's & o's, but I bet CMA is a lot better at rasslin a bar than he is!
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

I think the one thing that is consistent in the SEC is its inconsistency. If you happen to catch your opponents on their downswing, you can get on a good winning streak. But if you catch a team that's hot (see Arkansas at home the last few years), there's not much you can do to win.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Danny J on January 20, 2015, 09:19:08 pm
Yes....we are #7 in scoring offense nationally and #300 in scoring D. That is a huge disparity. We need to get better on D without question. Have struggled doing that all season and we are not getting any better. As a matter of fact we look to be getting worse. Our offense is very consistent though.

Except when the other team plays a zone.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

lefty08

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 21, 2015, 08:58:03 am

You realize we have seen zone defense all year right?
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: lefty08 on January 21, 2015, 09:00:27 am
You realize we have seen zone defense all year right?

No, we usually see man until the other team realizes they can't stop us in man then they go to a zone. That's what Ole Miss did the other night. Tennessee plays zone against everybody.

Let me change that statement then to satisfy all. Until we play against a good zone.

lefty08

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 21, 2015, 09:10:56 am
No, we usually see man until the other team realizes they can't stop us in man then they go to a zone. That's what Ole Miss did the other night. Tennessee plays zone against everybody.

So you're agreeing with me?

Breems

We are next to last in opposing FG% (only Auburn sucks worse) and opposing 3-pt FG% (only Tennessee sucks worse).

It starts on the perimeter. Our guards are bad.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Pork Twain

This is what I was afraid of. 
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Thepigdoctor

hogsanity

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 20, 2015, 08:41:38 pm
UGA gave up very few lay-ups and Dunks. and not many open threes.

You know why UGA did not give those things up? Because they were not running all over trapping 40+ feet from the basket, and were not switching all the time putting their big men in bad matchups on the perimeter.

MA is NOT going to be able to fix the Hogs defensive problems as long as he insists on continuing to do those things. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: HogBreath on January 21, 2015, 07:48:57 am
Kennedy may be a master with the x's & o's, but I bet CMA is a lot better at rasslin a bar than he is!

As long as it isn't an OM Black Bear.

hogman99

Quote from: hogsanity on January 21, 2015, 09:47:35 am
You know why UGA did not give those things up? Because they were not running all over trapping 40+ feet from the basket, and were not switching all the time putting their big men in bad matchups on the perimeter.

MA is NOT going to be able to fix the Hogs defensive problems as long as he insists on continuing to do those things.

BINGO, we have a winner!!!

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Danny J

Quote from: hogsanity on January 21, 2015, 09:47:35 am

And that is just in the half court. It doesn't even touch on Portis and Kinglsey out in front of the press trying to guard guards bringing the ball up the court. He sure didn't get that from Nolan. I am not sure what he is thinking. There really is no good answer that I can think of.

hogsanity

Quote from: Danny J on January 21, 2015, 10:53:46 am
And that is just in the half court. It doesn't even touch on Portis and Kinglsey out in front of the press trying to guard guards bringing the ball up the court. He sure didn't get that from Nolan. I am not sure what he is thinking. There really is no good answer that I can think of.

The other thing people seem to have forgotten, Nolan, from his 2nd year until after the 95 season, had someone like Miller or Robinson to protect the rim. You did not see those guy switching on screens 20+ft out. They were there to protect 8ft and in.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Kevin on January 20, 2015, 11:18:10 pm
I am going to take up for cma here. Yes the defense has been horrid. But, the way we play leads to more possessions in a game than the way many teams play today.

So to just look at scores, and draw a conclusion is not comparable. Mark fox at Georgia is going to try and limit the number of possessions each game.

That doesn't solve the hogs problem, but the hogs are always going to give the opponent more chance to score than most teams.

Good post, and very relevant to the discussion.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Breems on January 21, 2015, 09:37:17 am
We are next to last in opposing FG% (only Auburn sucks worse) and opposing 3-pt FG% (only Tennessee sucks worse).

I don't know about this.

Like others have pointed out in this thread, the constant switching leaves guys wide open for three way too often.

You can't blame that on the guards.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Atlhogfan1

Interior defense is poor as well which we can partially attribute to the switching.  Hogs have 69 blocked shots which puts them on pace to have the lowest total for a season since 2010(130).  Portis has stepped up in SEC play with 6 blocks in 4 games including 3 vs OM but still only has 19 for the season. 

Kingsley only has 15 on the season after 49 last season.  He was injured some last season as well. 

His avg's so far this season:
12.2 MPG 4.8 PPG 2.6 Reb 0.9 Blks 0.4 assists 0.6 turnovers 0.6 steals

2014:
11.5 MPG 4.0 PPG 3.2 Reb 1.5 Blks 0.2 assists 0.4 turnovers 0.4 steals

We aren't protecting the rim or defending inside the arc.  Hogs are 216th in 2pt FG defense at 48.9%(43.6% last season).
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rude1

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 21, 2015, 08:58:03 am
It's amazing how a person says something here and everyone races to embrace it. We have put up solid offensive numbers for the most part against the zone, our problem has been that we have allowed the opposition to have outstanding shooting nights against us, that is called not playing DEFENSE. We have attacked the zone correctly, we just haven't stopped anyone from scoring against us in the press nor in the half court defense.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rude1 on January 21, 2015, 12:09:18 pm
It's amazing how a person says something here and everyone races to embrace it. We have put up solid offensive numbers for the most part against the zone, our problem has been that we have allowed the opposition to have outstanding shooting nights against us, that is called not playing DEFENSE. We have attacked the zone correctly, we just haven't stopped anyone from scoring against us in the press nor in the half court defense.

You watch the numbers, I'll watch the game.

And, for the most part -- not always though, we struggle to some extent playing against zones.

Because we have quite a few players who have offensive skills, we do fine against a man, again, for the most part.

IMO our mediocre performance vs. zones goes to our PG play, plus the fact we don't seem to be very floor smart.

rude1

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 21, 2015, 12:13:57 pm

And, for the most part -- not always though, we struggle to some extent playing against zones.

Because we have quite a few players who have offensive skills, we do fine against a man, again, for the most part.

IMO our mediocre performance vs. zones goes to our PG play, plus the fact we don't seem to be very floor smart.
Oh OK the numbers have no bearing on what happened in the game. Continue on.

hogsanity

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 21, 2015, 12:13:57 pm

Imo, playing against a zone impacts their defense too. It is kind of like a race horse that really likes to run hard out for the gate. If the jockey pulls him up, trying to save him for the stretch run, often times that horse is just rank the whole race, and does not fire when the jockey finally turns him loose. HE spends all his energy fighting the jockey trying to run faster than the jockey lets him.

Same with the hogs, if they are forced to play a more methodical, slower game on offense it impacts how they play D.

Pork Twain

I do not think our guards are bad, I think our gameplan is bad.  Many times it is not a guard getting beat on the outside, but one of our bigs that never should have gotten out that far.  That is lack of coaching

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 21, 2015, 12:26:42 pm
Imo, playing against a zone impacts their defense too. It is kind of like a race horse that really likes to run hard out for the gate. If the jockey pulls him up, trying to save him for the stretch run, often times that horse is just rank the whole race, and does not fire when the jockey finally turns him loose. HE spends all his energy fighting the jockey trying to run faster than the jockey lets him.

Same with the hogs, if they are forced to play a more methodical, slower game on offense it impacts how they play D.

Probably.  Good point.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: rude1 on January 21, 2015, 12:20:51 pm
Oh OK the numbers have no bearing on what happened in the game. Continue on.

My friend, my point was you don't need numbers if you watch how poorly we execute our offense against zones.

lefty08

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 21, 2015, 12:43:35 pm
My friend, my point was you don't need numbers if you watch how poorly we execute our offense against zones.

The fact that you see things different than the stats do doesn't make the stats incorrect. Stop with the condescending tone already. You aren't anymore qualified to speak on the subject than the rest of us

spahoopsfan

Quote from: Breems on January 21, 2015, 09:37:17 am

It is not only the guard play.  Our inside guys can't guard either.  Nor can they block out or rebound well.  Plus we should not have played full court defense against ball handling guards quicker than us. 

spahoopsfan

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 21, 2015, 12:35:45 pm
I do not think our guards are bad, I think our gameplan is bad.  Many times it is not a guard getting beat on the outside, but one of our bigs that never should have gotten out that far.  That is lack of coaching
agree

Youngsta71701

Quote from: rude1 on January 21, 2015, 12:09:18 pm

All we do against the zone is pass the ball around the perimeter then jack up a three or turn the ball over. We get the ball in the middle every once in a while and when we do we usually turn the ball over or miss the short jumper. Unless it's Portis, he's money with that mid-range jumper.

lefty08

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 21, 2015, 03:41:03 pm
All we do against the zone is pass the ball around the perimeter then jack up a three or turn the ball over. We get the ball in the middle every once in a while and when we do we usually turn the ball over or miss the short jumper. Unless it's Portis, he's money with that mid-range jumper.

Williams has been very good there too