Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rocco Casullo

Started by Wildhog, January 16, 2015, 05:48:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

January 16, 2015, 05:48:36 pm Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 06:17:21 pm by Wildhog
Head Coach of St. Thomas Aquinas HS (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) just resigned.  He's won two state championships in the past four years as HC.  He spent the 8 years prior to that as defensive coordinator and coaching LB/S.  This is an absolute football factory in Broward County.  It would be an unbelievable connection to have down there.  He seems to be pretty much adored in the area.

If you're looking for an outside-the-box hire at LB coach, this is it.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/article6672849.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/recruit-search-results?year=2015&sport_id=1&sport=football&keywords=St.+Thomas+Aquinas
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

WorfHog

Kenny Hawgins

On paper, I'd be good with that.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

ricepig

Yeah, I saw where Footballscoop had tweeted that earlier, that would be a long shot for sure.

jgphillips3

Hmmmm.  Young, hungry, connected to South Florida talent...not bad.  If you can't get a "big name" coach with SEC or NFL experience, I wouldn't mind a guy like that at all.  You don't have to give him a huge salary so he is low risk, high reward type hire.

Break & Run

Bama is looking for a LBers coach too, though, aren't they?
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

ricepig

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 16, 2015, 05:52:08 pm
Hmmmm.  Young, hungry, connected to South Florida talent...not bad.  If you can't get a "big name" coach with SEC or NFL experience, I wouldn't mind a guy like that at all.  You don't have to give him a huge salary so he is low risk, high reward type hire.

Speaking of salaries, outside of the SEC, it doesn't seem that the other schools are going crazy. OSU's new OC is making $525,000, and no one at Mich St makes over $387,000.

Uncommon

Quote from: Break & Run on January 16, 2015, 05:53:39 pm
Bama is looking for a LBers coach too, though, aren't they?
Yes but they won't be looking for a regional coach like we will be.  Saban will basically get the best available with experience that can recruit nationally.  And Saban wouldn't hire a high school coach.  Just won't happen.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Wildhog on January 16, 2015, 05:48:36 pm
Head Coach of St. Thomas Aquinas HS (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) just resigned.  He's won two state championships in the past four years as HC.  He spent the 8 years prior to that as defensive coordinator and coaching LB/S.  This is an absolute football factory in Broward County.  It would be an unbelievable connection to have down there.  He seems to be pretty much adored in the area.

If we aren't getting Inge or Woodie this guys is way way way more appealing then someone like Hargreaves or those other names thrown around with no upside potential

Wildhog

I've updated my OP with a list of St. Thomas Aquinas prospects.  Brace yourselves.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Dominicanhog

with Smith's background with LB's, would be a great opportunity for him to learn as well as allowing Smith to be a mentor... I'd be good with that.. would seem he has an offer from someone or he wouldn't have just up and quit.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Wildhog on January 16, 2015, 06:03:08 pm
I've updated my OP with a list of St. Thomas Aquinas prospects.  Brace yourselves.

Your search results do not come up when I click on that link.  You let my anus down.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 16, 2015, 06:03:08 pm

No 5*, cut him......

Wildhog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 16, 2015, 06:06:21 pm
with Smith's background with LB's, would be a great opportunity for him to learn as well as allowing Smith to be a mentor... I'd be good with that.. would seem he has an offer from someone or he wouldn't have just up and quit.

Could be us.

Alabama has two LB coach openings, unless they redistribute a little bit and only hire one. After that, we're the best LB coach opening in CFB.

http://footballscoop.com/news/open-jobs/
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 16, 2015, 06:06:49 pm
Your search results do not come up when I click on that link.  You let my anus down.

God, you would have clicked on that during the probably 10 seconds it wasn't working.  Click now.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Steef

jackflash

I  don't have any problem hiring a High School HC. Last one didn't turn out to bad. If he we hired him Smith could oversea how he coached LB. He fill the bill of recruiting Florida which I like.  Actually hope both hiring come with Florida background

Pig in the Pokey

WR- class of 2015 Devante Peete 6'6" 205lbs 4.55 forty, 4*Rivals top 250. Uncommitted, visits remaining.
Offers from errybody.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Wildhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 16, 2015, 06:39:55 pm
WR- class of 2015 Devante Peete 6'6" 205lbs 4.55 forty, 4*Rivals top 250. Uncommitted, visits remaining.
Offers from errybody.

I think that's actually a different St. Thomas Aquinas.  Two of the guys on that list are from a different STA.  But it's still just an absurd number of prospects for one school. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

JackJohnson

Quote from: Wildhog on January 16, 2015, 06:43:33 pm
I think that's actually a different St. Thomas Aquinas.  Two of the guys on that list are from a different STA.  But it's still just an absurd number of prospects for one school. 

It's the same one.  I think kids come from all over the county which is even better.  Also notice Joey Bosa's lil bro is a Jr. next year though I'm sure we have no shot

This is an article after they won state- at the very bottom it says Peete caught a TD

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/football/broward/fl-aquinas-osceola-title-game-recap-1213-20141212-story.html

jcul28

Wildhog

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 16, 2015, 06:51:24 pm
It's the same one.  I think kids come from all over the county which is even better.  Also notice Joey Bosa's lil bro is a Jr. next year though I'm sure we have no shot

This is an article after they won state- at the very bottom it says Peete caught a TD

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/football/broward/fl-aquinas-osceola-title-game-recap-1213-20141212-story.html

Ah, good lookin' out.  I was thrown off by the different city name in the link.
1909/1964/1965/1977

redeye

Quote from: ricepig on January 16, 2015, 05:55:17 pm
Speaking of salaries, outside of the SEC, it doesn't seem that the other schools are going crazy. OSU's new OC is making $525,000, and no one at Mich St makes over $387,000.

And that's why SEC football has ruled the past 10 years.

Quote from: Uncommon on January 16, 2015, 05:58:21 pm
Yes but they won't be looking for a regional coach like we will be.  Saban will basically get the best available with experience that can recruit nationally.  And Saban wouldn't hire a high school coach.  Just won't happen.

Are you sure about that?  I thought Saban had hired a high school coach before.

Quote from: Wildhog on January 16, 2015, 06:08:53 pm
Alabama has two LB coach openings, unless they redistribute a little bit and only hire one. After that, we're the best LB coach opening in CFB.

Why does it seem like Alabama has more coaches then everyone else?  I know they have an inside and outside linebacker coach, but who else does this?  Is there a limit to the number of coaches you can hire?

SkeeterHawg

I don't know if he is going to be here or not, but Rocco Casullo is an epic name.

JackJohnson

Quote from: jcul28 on January 16, 2015, 06:59:16 pm
Isn't be a UCF alum?

If he is then that could be where he is headed since they have no DC, lb or DB coach I believe

Wildhog

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 16, 2015, 07:20:10 pm
If he is then that could be where he is headed since they have no DC, lb or DB coach I believe

:(
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogarusa

Hogville doesnt mess around when it comes to a LB coaching search
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hardtimes79

Its being said he has some issues he has to workout, but the people in Miami seem to think a likely destination is Syracuse if he goes the college route this year.
The easiest way to save face is to keep the lower half shut.

jackflash

That would be away for Syracuse to replace MacDonald the WR coach and give them a in back into FL

Wildhog

Quote from: jackflash on January 16, 2015, 08:21:06 pm
That would be away for Syracuse to replace MacDonald the WR coach and give them a in back into FL

Or a way for us to replace Shannon and give us an in back into FL.
1909/1964/1965/1977

DoctorSusscrofa

It's only been a week and change and already our fans are hoping against all hope we can just get a high school coach to come here. :)
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Wildhog on January 16, 2015, 05:48:36 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/recruit-search-results?year=2015&sport_id=1&sport=football&keywords=St.+Thomas+Aquinas
Good thing Reggie Herring is not a moderator. He'd ban you for that. #wedon'tneednohighschoolcoach

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 16, 2015, 08:30:38 pm
Good thing Reggie Herring is not a moderator. He'd ban you for that. #wedon'tneednohighschoolcoach

High school OC and a high school LB coach? I can see Herrings swearbands coming off

26.2Hog

Reggie Herring's name keeps popping up in a number of threads.

So here's my take on Herring.  After he was hired and before he ever coached a game at Arkansas, he spoke at the Little Rock Razorbacks club in the summer before the Hogs opened the season at Southern Cal.

Herring ranted and raved about how some might be nervous playing the highly touted Trojans.  But not him.  No sir. Because he exclaimed that he would have the defense prepared and there was nothing to worry about.

Well, Reggie, we see how that turned out:

8 plays
4 TD's
260 yards
1:32

Yeah, they scored so fast it just messed you up. 

jackflash

just for the Heck of it does any one know where Robinson or Herring at

ThundrHawg

Chicago Bears LB coach for Herring.

thebignasty

hoglady

Casullo's Dad had 2 coaching stints at Syracuse - so that's where that connection is.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

31to6

Quote from: ricepig on January 16, 2015, 05:55:17 pm
That's why SEC schools have former head coaches and coordinators as position coaches.

Prestworthy

I'd be a huge fan of this hire.  Good find OP. +1

East TN HAWG

If he would make an excellent recruiter, it might not be a bad hire.  You get him cheap, and Smith has a lot of experience coaching LBs so he would make an excellent mentor. 

jackflash

I like posts like this. Its fun, you get to here how other Razorbacks fans are thinking. To me this is what Hogville is all about giving us fans a chance to give our opinion. We all know coach BB will do the hiring.

Hogg_Phan

I read where one of his students said that he didn't go to the Coaches Convention. Not saying that CBB didn't talk to him, just saying that if he did, it wasn't there.
Maurice "Footsie" Britt - an "ex-Arkansas Razorback and Detroit Lion war hero".
.... In fact, Britt was standing on the field at the football stadium in Arkansas, saluting with his left hand and receiving the Medal of Honor, ...
http://www.cafe.com/r/f87e4a8e-2253-4fb1-90ad-4372d99aa204/1/why-havent-you-heard-of-this-war-hero-nfl-veteran

East TN HAWG

Quote from: jackflash on January 17, 2015, 11:50:39 am
I like posts like this. Its fun, you get to here how other Razorbacks fans are thinking. To me this is what Hogville is all about giving us fans a chance to give our opinion. We all know coach BB will do the hiring.

Actually, you can learn a lot on this board.  After you have been on a while, you know what posters to ignore, and who to read.  There typically is a lot if good information amongst some BS.

urkillnmesmalls

Realistically, with the stats showing how heavy the 250 mile radius weighs on recruiting, how many kids do you think we could pull from FL with the addition of Casullo?  Is the suggestion that there are so many kids from that one high school that it could outweigh hiring an experienced LB coach with experience putting kids in and/or playing in the NFL?  Would St. TA be loyal to at least giving us 100% shot at every kid as long as he was at the UA?  How long does that last? 

Hey, I'm all for bringing in deserving, talented coaches, but surely we don't want to start hiring a staff of all high school coaches with the premise that we'll get enough talent to overcome proven coaching, do we?  That doesn't seem like a solid long term strategy to me.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2015, 03:03:31 pm
Realistically, with the stats showing how heavy the 250 mile radius weighs on recruiting, how many kids do you think we could pull from FL with the addition of Casullo?  Is the suggestion that there are so many kids from that one high school that it could outweigh hiring an experienced LB coach with experience putting kids in and/or playing in the NFL?  Would St. TA be loyal to at least giving us 100% shot at every kid as long as he was at the UA?  How long does that last? 

Hey, I'm all for bringing in deserving, talented coaches, but surely we don't want to start hiring a staff of all high school coaches with the premise that we'll get enough talent to overcome proven coaching, do we?  That doesn't seem like a solid long term strategy to me.   

Probably not all the time, but for a defense where the dc has experience coaching the same position, I say go for it. Smith can coach the coach in this situation.

incHOGnito

Quote from: redeye on January 16, 2015, 07:13:49 pm
And that's why SEC football has ruled the past 10 years.

Are you sure about that?  I thought Saban had hired a high school coach before.

Why does it seem like Alabama has more coaches then everyone else?  I know they have an inside and outside linebacker coach, but who else does this?  Is there a limit to the number of coaches you can hire?

Probably because Saban coaches the defensive backs himself. At least I heard that somewhere.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 17, 2015, 03:14:49 pm
Probably not all the time, but for a defense where the dc has experience coaching the same position, I say go for it. Smith can coach the coach in this situation.

I'll be surprised if it happens, but I see your point.  Just not sure why anyone who wasn't a LB would follow him.  Not that we can't always use some LB's, but if he's the LB coach, why would a top WR prospect follow him to the UA?  There wouldn't be a lot of interaction between the two, and the kid would still be choosing the UA over a lot of schools that are closer and more successful (recently, at least). 

If it happens...I just hope it works.  I won't hold my breath on it happening though. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2015, 03:20:26 pm
I'll be surprised if it happens, but I see your point.  Just not sure why anyone who wasn't a LB would follow him.  Not that we can't always use some LB's, but if he's the LB coach, why would a top WR prospect follow him to the UA?  There wouldn't be a lot of interaction between the two, and the kid would still be choosing the UA over a lot of schools that are closer and more successful (recently, at least). 

If it happens...I just hope it works.  I won't hold my breath on it happening though.

They won't follow him, but it gets our name into that area even more. He opens the door, and then the program sells them.