Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Take on the Iowa State Game

Started by The_Iceman, December 05, 2014, 08:54:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Let's all get something straight, Iowa State is amazing at home. They are Arkansas in Bud Walton level good. What we ran into last night was a 2014 Ole Miss or 2013 Florida like performance from Iowa State. We may have done a few different things to keep the game close, but in the end, we were not going to beat Iowa State last night.

Keep things in perspective. In the second half, we did outscore them 45-43. So this team didn't quit. We got off to a horrible start where everything was going wrong. Seemed like the football team vs. Georgia this year. Turnovers, missed shots, and an opponent that capitalized on every single one of them.

We out-rebounded Iowa State 28 to 26 and they only had 2 Offensive Rebounds, but that is likely because they made 64% of their shots and 53% from 3-pt range. Compare that to 48% and 36% from three for Arkansas, along with 7 missed free throws. One thing I did like is that we had 22 assists on our 28 made shots, so that doesn't display the "me-first" and "selfish" narrative I heard from the debbie downers.

A few tidbits on the players:
Watkins- LEARN TO SHOOT! My goodness, look at the guy's line....6 rebs, 5 asts, 4 stls, in 21 minutes. If this guy could learn to get around 30% from 3pt, and maybe learn a couple off the dribble moves, he would be an amazing guard for us.
Beard- love this guys heart and determination. There are still a few moves he used to do in high school he thinks he can do in D-1. Once he cuts that stuff out of his game and focuses on what he can do well, he will be even better.
Portis-19 pts (8-10 fg, 2-2 3pt), 8 rebs, 0 turnovers. 'Nuff said.
Harris- that may have been his best game as a Hog. Hit 2 huge first half threes that kept the game from getting even more out of hand. Attacked the basket like the bulldog he needs to be. Would still like to see him dominate more on the glass.
Qualls- not his best game, but still did well. 4 TO's is way too many.
Kingsley- 9 minutes just isn't enough for this guy. He see the potential oozing out of him out there on some of the moves he makes. The more he plays, the stronger he is going to learn to play inside. Gotta find him minutes, even if it is beside Portis.
Williams- not his best game. A few terrible fouls called on him in the 2nd half hurt his minutes and production. Those calls were just pitiful and Williams did nothing wrong.
Durham- 3 assists in 6 minutes is pretty good. He is just so limited offensively its hard to get him more minutes right now. It will come for him tho, like most JUCOs.
Bell- sometimes, its just not your night. His struggles away from BWA continue, 1-11 from 3-pt range on the year. If he doesn't change that, Mike might have to start considering limiting his minutes on the road.
Madden- 5 assists, but 4 turnovers as well. 5-6 from the FT line and 2-4 from 3pt are good numbers, but he still struggles driving to the basket. Needs to learn to gather himself and go up strong, instead of always trying to sell to the ref he is being fouled.

Overall, I'm not too worried about this performance because I understand what Arkansas faced last night. Some fans have convinced themselves of a narrative about Arkansas and Mike Anderson and want to spew it after every loss. Last night, it was a lot more about Iowa State playing amazing at home than Arkansas playing horrible on the road, even tho both happened. This wasn't Arkansas losing to a sub .500 team on the road like before, that was a Top 15 level team. If we go out and beat Clemson, who just lost to Rutgers at home, we should all just move past this and look forward.

BadHog

I like the way you phrased that - more about Iowa St playing amazing at home than Arkansas playing horribly on the road.

It would be nice however if this team could adjust on defense when what you've got ain't working.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Who is our Coach?

Iowa State is a good team, playing at home, and they shot the lights out. Hogs didn't play great, and two guys we rely on (Bell and Qualls) struggled.  Adds up to a loss.  We rebounded pretty well, made a run in the second half, but you can't get down 20.  You have to play perfectly to have any chance at coming back. 

Playing at home is a huge advantage.  We know that all to well.  On to Clemson.  Have to win that one, and I feel like even the effort we had last night will lead us to a win. 

Hawg Red

If you play a team that good that plays that well at home when they're that ON, and you aren't having your best night.....you're going to get beat by 20. Even if you're good. And that's what happened. We played one of the nation's best schools in a tough environment, on a night when they were just clicking like nobody's business, and we didn't bring it like we should have. We're not even 10 games into the season. There are ranked teams with worse losses. We'll be okay. We just need to go out and put together a win against a bad Clemson team on the road, rest up for a business week, and then get a nice RPI win at home against a good Dayton team.

labb

very well done Ice. When we got it down to 11 in the second half we had a chance to make a game out of it but they took that away from us. Some say they may be a final four team. Maybe so if they play like they did last night. They made our man on man defense look really weak. Not sure we have the players to play that game against them. They are a very good team with their first 7 players. This game is one loss and I can't imagine that many had it as a win when the season started..The next two games will give us a view of where we really are..

Letsroll1200

Iowa State was the better team last night and we didn't get what we needed from Madden and Bell. Madden can not turn the ball over that many times and we need Bell to be a consistent threat from the 3. I'm really looking forward to the growth of Babb. I think Babb is going to be a really good player. I was encouraged by Beard because he played poorly that first half. In the second half he made better decisions and made plays that don't show up on the stat sheet. Losing to Iowa State is not the end of the world.

PonderinHog

Trap game period.  They set it. We fell into it.  Next...

Breems

I didn't expect to win this game at all.

Part of being a very involved fan in player analysis, stats, etc. is knowing what your team can and can't do. I don't expect to beat top 25 teams on the road at this point. The environment was rowdy and Niang is one of the best players in the country.

@Clemson is a matchup to be excited about. We lost a rare opportunity @Iowa St. but not much else. We have much more to lose @Clemson.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hawg Red

Quote from: Breems on December 05, 2014, 09:42:30 am

Part of being a very involved fan in player analysis, stats, etc. is knowing what your team can and can't do. I don't expect to beat top 25 teams on the road at this point. The environment was rowdy and Niang is one of the best players in the country.

@Clemson is a matchup to be excited about. We lost a rare opportunity @Iowa St. but not much else. We have much more to lose @Clemson.

Mic drop.

Cycl1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 05, 2014, 09:33:44 am
Iowa State was the better team last night and we didn't get what we needed from Madden and Bell. Madden can not turn the ball over that many times and we need Bell to be a consistent threat from the 3. I'm really looking forward to the growth of Babb. I think Babb is going to be a really good player. I was encouraged by Beard because he played poorly that first half. In the second half he made better decisions and made plays that don't show up on the stat sheet. Losing to Iowa State is not the end of the world.

Babbs older brother played for isu. If he develops into a similar player you guys are in for a treat.

BRHogfan

Quote from: Cycl1 on December 05, 2014, 09:45:41 am
Babbs older brother played for isu. If he develops into a similar player you guys are in for a treat.

Question, How often is Niang asked to bring the floor up like he does?  Was this a response to Monte Morris two early turnovers?

yodcw2003

I don't expect to beat top 25 teams on the road at this point.
"at this point" as in year 4 with all 5 returning starters, 4 of whom are upperclassmen?

I think you're probably right, but the real question is - will we ever expect to win these games?

It's a tough pill to swallow that we live in a Hog bball world where we chalk up a road loss to an Iowa St (we're not talking historic programs like Duke, Syracuse, UCONN, L'ville) as an automatic L especially when this is supposed to be MA's best team.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Cycl1 on December 05, 2014, 09:45:41 am

He has shown flashes of potential that get Hog fans excited. He has grown to 6'5" up from 6'3" when he committed.  He has a smoothness to his game that is obvious and that is in stark contrast to a player like Madden, who gets things done in a more unorthodox manner.

Its just early in his career right now. But if he keeps improving, he will see serious minutes, maybe even start, his sophomore year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: yodcw2003 on December 05, 2014, 09:54:26 am
"at this point" as in year 4 with all 5 returning starters, 4 of whom are upperclassmen?

I think you're probably right, but the real question is - will we ever expect to win these games?

It's a tough pill to swallow that we live in a Hog bball world where we chalk up a road loss to an Iowa St (we're not talking historic programs like Duke, Syracuse, UCONN, L'ville) as an automatic L especially when this is supposed to be MA's best team.

Not many Top 15-20 teams lose at home, period! Iowa State has lost like 4 total games at home the last 4 years.

cbhawg03

Always thought the more important game was against Clemson. Never thought we would win at Iowa St. and can't follow that performance up with another one just like it at a bad Clemson.

SMU game looked like we had turned the corner with the road games, but they way they played last night is concerning. Not concerned about getting beat by a better team on the road, but the turnovers and lack of defense.

snortman

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 05, 2014, 09:55:41 am
Not many Top 15-20 teams lose at home, period! Iowa State has lost like 4 total games at home the last 4 years.

It's not that we lost, it's how we lost. This was a circled game on the calendar to springboard the Hogs to the forefront and laid a big time egg. For a team of this experience, this was an epic fail. No excuses.

Cresthog

Totally agreed.

Anyone who ACTUALLY thought we would win this needs to check their coats at the door.

Winning 2 of the 3 non-conference road games was the optimistic and SANE view of how to expect things.

ISU is a VERY good squad. Niang and Jones are both all conference type players. Niang being one of the most skilled college players I've seen in 3-5 years. Dude is crazy good, we had NO answer.

Cycl1

Quote from: BRHogfan on December 05, 2014, 09:48:50 am
Question, How often is Niang asked to bring the floor up like he does?  Was this a response to Monte Morris two early turnovers?
he probably brings the ball up every game at least some. I am not a mismatch guru like Hoiberg is, so I don't know if it was a certain matchup he was trying to acheive, but we play inside out like that quite a bit. It makes people play out of position. We might do it less than we did last year because deandre kane was our point guard and would post people up.

Can't say for sure if it was due to Morris turning it over. Morris doesn't turn it over enough to say it is something we often do when Morris turns it over.

Hawg Red

Yes.

Iowa State may not be a blue blood program but they are a program that is built. Done. Established. Arkansas is not there yet. Hopefully, this is the first year of our establishment. But, no, we're at the point yet, in Year 4, where we can go in and expect to knock off a top 25 program (not just a team ranked at the time but a perennial) in their gym. Especially one like Hilton. Can we pull one out here and there? Sure. Just can't expect it. We can, however, expect to beat a program like Clemson in their gym.

Breems

Coty Clarke did not return.

Quote from: yodcw2003 on December 05, 2014, 09:54:26 amI think you're probably right, but the real question is - will we ever expect to win these games?

Perhaps when we become elite, e.g. Whitt/Monk.

Quote from: yodcw2003 on December 05, 2014, 09:54:26 amIt's a tough pill to swallow that we live in a Hog bball world where we chalk up a road loss to an Iowa St (we're not talking historic programs like Duke, Syracuse, UCONN, L'ville) as an automatic L especially when this is supposed to be MA's best team.

Historic doesn't matter. You're one of those guys. "Uhhhh, Wake Forest was good right? I read the jersey name." Iowa St. is good this year, and we weren't going to beat them at home.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

mj4cy

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 05, 2014, 09:55:41 am

And one of those losses to Kansas ended up resulting in a Big 12 apology for a blown call that would have given ISU the game. Obviously neither here nor there, but yes....its near impossible to win in Hilton.

FaytownHog

Teams tend to shoot lights out when players that are good enough to earn a scholarship at a major university are constantly left wide open to shoot. Our D last night was atrocious. Chalking it up to nothing but them just playing lights out is like saying our offense was just lights out in football against Northern Illinois. Yea, because look at the D we played. Not saying they aren't good, because they are, but we LET them be lights out last night.

The_Iceman

Quote from: FaytownHog on December 05, 2014, 10:23:55 am
Teams tend to shoot lights out when players that are good enough to earn a scholarship at a major university are constantly left wide open to shoot. Our D last night was atrocious. Chalking it up to nothing but them just playing lights out is like saying our offense was just lights out in football against Northern Illinois. Yea, because look at the D we played. Not saying they aren't good, because they are, but we LET them be lights out last night.

In the second half, I saw much tighter defense and it still didn't matter.

Also, you act like Arkansas has never taken a wide open shot this year.

FaytownHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 05, 2014, 10:36:02 am
In the second half, I saw much tighter defense and it still didn't matter.

Also, you act like Arkansas has never taken a wide open shot this year.
We definitely have. What does that have to do with last night? We let them shoot wide open shots all night. Of course their percentage was going to be through the roof. We didn't lose "bc they shot through the roof/anyone would lose against that", they shot through the roof because we left them wide open all night to do so. There are two parts to that equation. That's what I'm saying.

Cresthog

Quote from: FaytownHog on December 05, 2014, 10:38:30 am
We definitely have. What does that have to do with last night? We let them shoot wide open shots all night. Of course their percentage was going to be through the roof. We didn't lose "bc they shot through the roof/anyone would lose against that", they shot through the roof because we left them wide open all night to do so. There are two parts to that equation. That's what I'm saying.

We didn't "let" them.

They're a good team with great ballhandlers that BEAT us. What else is there to it?

It's basketball, we're evenly ranked (ISU should prb be higher) and they were at home which is a notorious advantage.

Really what else is there to be said? We'd have had to play the game of our life to win there and we simply didn't. Time to move onto thumping Clemson.

alarsonisu

Quote from: Cresthog on December 05, 2014, 10:42:01 am
We didn't "let" them.

They're a good team with great ballhandlers that BEAT us. What else is there to it?

This is pretty much it, from an ISU fan's perspective. Honestly i thought you guys gave us one hell of a game, a game that mightve beaten us on another night even, you just ran into an angry buzzsaw of a team that was pissed off about its loss to Maryland last week, and an arena that was ready to get loud (we've sold almost all our games this season but the energy hasnt been as high) for its first major game of the season. Personally I hope we play again at some point in the future, always fun seeing 2 teams with the games Arkansas and ISU want to play going up against each other.

CloneZone13

Quote from: BRHogfan on December 05, 2014, 09:48:50 am

It's not uncommon for Niang to bring the ball up and initiate the offense.  I doubt it was a result of Morris' early turnovers.  Morris is the most stable person in the NCAA with regards to protecting the ball.  Hoiberg is all about mismatches, and probably felt using Niang was the best way to neutralize your press. 

CloneZone13

I would also like to add (and I think i speak for most ISU fans) that I really enjoyed the way that you all play.  ISU couldn't have played better last night.  Arkansas is a fun team to watch, and we appreciate the up-tempo style of play.  I wish we could play you all more often.  Good luck with the rest of the season- I'll be rooting for you all!

Cresthog

I underestimated Niang. I dislike him because he reminds me of Drake and he's kinda fat but man, that dude is nasty skilled.

We literally had NO answer. No one could guard him. Part of the reason we brought it back to 8 was because he was on the bench if I'm not mistaken. It went right back to 12-15 when he came back on.

chiti66

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: cbhawg03 on December 05, 2014, 10:06:53 am
Always thought the more important game was against Clemson. Never thought we would win at Iowa St. and can't follow that performance up with another one just like it at a bad Clemson.

SMU game looked like we had turned the corner with the road games, but they way they played last night is concerning. Not concerned about getting beat by a better team on the road, but the turnovers and lack of defense.

Clemson has already lost twice at home to a currently 3-3 Winthrop and 4-3 Rutgers who scored 26 pts against UVa.  That should be a win.

We'll find out a little more about SMU tonight as they play unbeaten Wyoming.  The Hogs need for Markus Kennedy to help make this a successful team when he returns. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

chiti66

Niang was giving us the BIZ....but we have a deep enough bench to wear on him.  I didn't see the 6'7" transfer from WVa.  He would have been the perfect match-up.  We should have just assigned guys to wear on him all game, take him out of the game.  A tough game for sure, could we have won, HELL YEAH!  But it would have required better scouting and a much better game plan!  I HATE LOSING!!! 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: FaytownHog on December 05, 2014, 10:23:55 am

Defense was poor because Iowa State knew how to break down the defense + Arkansas couldn't fix it.
[CENSORED]!

rmcchris

They blew us out. We looked bad.  Most important thing is will we learn from it and make corrections or be stubborn about how good we are and not adjust?  All the breakdown in the thread title is right on.  We just need to learn from this road trip and make changes  (Like don't shoot so many threes on the road and defense wins tough road games, etc.).  We will be OK and move on.

Smithian

Fred Hoiberg is a good coach. After inheriting a team with a losing record, he coached Iowa State to the tournament in years 2 and 3 then the Sweet Sixteen in year 4 in a good conference. Interested to see what he does in Year 5. Must be an exciting time to be an Iowa State fan.

Cycl1

Quote from: Smithian on December 05, 2014, 11:51:23 am
Fred Hoiberg is a good coach. After inheriting a team with a losing record, he coached Iowa State to the tournament in years 2 and 3 then the Sweet Sixteen in year 4 in a good conference. Interested to see what he does in Year 5. Must be an exciting time to be an Iowa State fan.

It is very exciting.  Also, basketball has been hyped for a long time now due to the dumpster fire which is our 2 wins in football, but we play at TCU tomorrow,  so we have that going for us. Which is nice. If they beat us by 80 maybe they will make the playoffs.

rzrbkf4n

phadedhawg

Very good post Iceman.  I was feeling pretty low this morning about last night but that is great perspective.  When I watch a game on TV I don't pay very much attention tot he commentary.  I'm usually zeroed in on the on court action.  I was no aware of those stats.  And I agree, it's very very hard to beat a team that is playing that good at home. 

But there are some issues on defense that have me very concerned.  That Iona game was a clinic on how to break our defense down.  Mike will need to make some adjustments.  We must not have the players that can execute what he is trying to do. 

Smithian

My take?

They got their ass kicked. Game was over at tipoff with no higher level of thinking or analysis required. That was a hornets nest.

They'll do better next time.

LJHOG

My Take on the Iowa State Game:

They blew us off the court.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: BadHog on December 05, 2014, 08:59:28 am
I like the way you phrased that - more about Iowa St playing amazing at home than Arkansas playing horribly on the road.

It would be nice however if this team could adjust on defense when what you've got ain't working.

very important re defense.  when the other team is lights out and we're not matching or playing close, it's got to be done.
The rest of the frog.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: phadedhawg on December 05, 2014, 12:04:14 pm
Very good post Iceman.  I was feeling pretty low this morning about last night but that is great perspective.  When I watch a game on TV I don't pay very much attention tot he commentary.  I'm usually zeroed in on the on court action.  I was no aware of those stats.  And I agree, it's very very hard to beat a team that is playing that good at home. 

But there are some issues on defense that have me very concerned.  That Iona game was a clinic on how to break our defense down.  Mike will need to make some adjustments.  We must not have the players that can execute what he is trying to do. 

Going into this game - and surely, after it - I kept thinking of Arkansas's road trip to Tulsa in Nov. 1987. That was Andrew Lang's senior year. The Hogs were starting to play scrappier defense. The Hogs outrebounded opponents that season while maintaining positive turnover margin and good FG% defense. Didn't foul tons either.

Arkansas went to Tulsa and lost 68-47. It looked horrible. Team did not have a pulse. Sports talk radio in Fayetteville was abysmal the day after. Well, that was not a classic team, but it went 11-5 in the SWC and made the NCAAT. Lost in the first round to Villanova (which went to the Final Four).

At one point the Hogs were 16-3 but finished 5-6.
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

Hope you are right
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HF#1

Iowa State was prepared for us.  They played us beautifully.  If I'm an SEC coach, I'm watching what Iowa State did defensively against Arkansas.  They took Qualls completely out of the game, although he wasn't having a great game anyway.  Portis got his but it was all from the outside.  When he got the ball in the post, he was immediately doubled.

I thought they took advantage of Madden's lack of control, turned him over a few times.  Had Bell been able to make some shots I think the game may have went differently.  Every time I think that kid is going to be good for us, he has a game like that.  Completely ineffective.  You are a shooter fella, you gotta learn to make shots outside of Bud Walton.   

We played so bad defensively in the first half, we were never going to recover.  We played better in the second half but they still continued to shoot the cover off the ball.  Was really impressed with how they shot the ball.

This game was our chance to make a statement on a national level.  We obviously weren't ready for that.  Now, we can focus on Clemson, Dayton, and then SEC play.  I still think we do well on the road in SEC play.  If you told me we would go 3-1 against SMU, Iowa State, Clemson, and Dayton, I would have been pleased with that. I think we will do just that.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hoggie17

I knew is going to be a long night when they kept the 3 points first half. 

60 Minutes of Hell

Does anyone know if our guys are still dealing with the flu?  Qualls in particular did not look healthy.  I'm not fishing for excuses or anything like that, I just wonder how close our guys are to 100%.
What a fool I used to be.

The_Iceman

Quote from: 60 Minutes of Hell on December 05, 2014, 01:07:00 pm
Does anyone know if our guys are still dealing with the flu?  Qualls in particular did not look healthy.  I'm not fishing for excuses or anything like that, I just wonder how close our guys are to 100%.

It was Qualls and another player that were battling it. Not sure if they were healthy by last night, but it may have effected their endurance.

mhuff

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 05, 2014, 02:50:26 pm
It was Qualls and another player that were battling it. Not sure if they were healthy by last night, but it may have effected their endurance.

In h.s. we had three all state players and one honorable mention down with the flu in the state tournament. You can't play when you are sick or injured.

HawgWild

Hard to watch but I bet they step forward after this dismal performance. Better to happen this early in the season rather than later. Surely we're a better team than we were last year.

minman

I think the most surprising thing to me was the inability to guard the guards at the top of the key.  They could have simply spread us out the whole game and the guards could simply drive whenever and wherever they wanted to.  Not sure how you change that quickly, but it was pretty obvious throughout.