Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My take on this game

Started by mizzouman, November 26, 2014, 06:31:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

First, congrats on the a good season so far.  I predicted 7-8 wins and looks like that still could happen.  Also, Bielema is a great coach as I've said from the beginning.

KEYS TO VICTORY:

For Arkansas...offensively, they must stay on schedule and avoid 3rd and long.  The key to that is what they do on first down.  They need to stay away from obvious passing downs or the Mizzou DLine will cause a lot of havoc for whatever Allen is playing QB.  Defensively, they need to play assignment football and stay in their lanes.  Mizzou OL is very good at zone blocking which works best when the defensive tries to do too much.  Just stay in your lanes and they will be successful. 

For Mizzou, it's simple....don't beat yourself.  In the games where they have struggled, it's been because of turnovers and penalties.  Not sure of the stat, but it wouldn't surprise me if Mizzou leads the SEC in penalties.  If Mizzou wins the turnover battle and keeps the penalties to a minimum, they win.

Anyway, it should be good. 

For those of you who are going to the game, have fun and travel safely.

KennyForAD

Mizzou is simply not physical enough to compete with Arkansas.  Hogs will dominate TOP and run almost at will.  It will be an Arkansas/TT  UGA/Mizzou type game.  2+2 = 4... every single time.   A physically over-matched team gets blown out.. about the same percentage.

wupigsuey

Quote from: mizzouman on November 26, 2014, 06:31:24 pm
First, congrats on the a good season so far.  I predicted 7-8 wins and looks like that still could happen.  Also, Bielema is a great coach as I've said from the beginning.

KEYS TO VICTORY:

For Arkansas...offensively, they must stay on schedule and avoid 3rd and long.  The key to that is what they do on first down.  They need to stay away from obvious passing downs or the Mizzou DLine will cause a lot of havoc for whatever Allen is playing QB.  Defensively, they need to play assignment football and stay in their lanes.  Mizzou OL is very good at zone blocking which works best when the defensive tries to do too much.  Just stay in your lanes and they will be successful. 

For Mizzou, it's simple....don't beat yourself.  In the games where they have struggled, it's been because of turnovers and penalties.  Not sure of the stat, but it wouldn't surprise me if Mizzou leads the SEC in penalties.  If Mizzou wins the turnover battle and keeps the penalties to a minimum, they win.

MU averages 60.5 penalty yards per game. Just ahead of AU's 69.9
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

mizzouman

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 26, 2014, 06:46:25 pm
Mizzou is simply not physical enough to compete with Arkansas.  Hogs will dominate TOP and run almost at will.  It will be an Arkansas/TT  UGA/Mizzou type game.  2+2 = 4... every single time.   A physically over-matched team gets blown out.. about the same percentage.
We shall see  :)

mizzouman

Quote from: wupigsuey on November 26, 2014, 06:49:31 pm
MU averages 60.5 penalty yards per game. Just ahead of AU's 69.9
That's bad. 

Hoggish1

KEYS TO VICTORY:

For Arkansas...offensively, they must stay on schedule and avoid 3rd and long.  The key to that is what they do on first down.  They need to stay away from obvious passing downs or the Mizzou DLine will cause a lot of havoc for whatever Allen is playing QB. 

Whatever...

wupigsuey

Quote from: mizzouman on November 26, 2014, 07:14:17 pm
That's bad. 

Yeah, that's a lot to give away.

I'm mostly afraid of the quickness of your dline. OM was in our backfield a lot and quickly the other day. IDK if they were jumping the snap count or just that quick. I wouldn't be surprised if y'all won. I wouldn't be surprised if we did.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

mizzouman

Quote from: wupigsuey on November 26, 2014, 07:23:00 pm
Yeah, that's a lot to give away.

I'm mostly afraid of the quickness of your dline. OM was in our backfield a lot and quickly the other day. IDK if they were jumping the snap count or just that quick. I wouldn't be surprised if y'all won. I wouldn't be surprised if we did.
We rotate 8 DL's in every game.  Not big but very quick off the ball.  But, that can work to your detriment as well.  Should be interesting.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: mizzouman on November 26, 2014, 07:28:09 pm
We rotate 8 DL's in every game.  Not big but very quick off the ball.  But, that can work to your detriment as well.  Should be interesting.

I am sure they will attempt to mimic the Ole Miss defensive scheme that utilized quickness on defense, over size. Hopefully, we learned something about that.

I suspect that Mizzou will have more of a running game than Ole Miss did. Better hope that Mauk doesn't toss some INT's, even though he has been making better decisions of late.

Should be a good game, for one of the two.
Go Hogs Go!

mizzouman

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 26, 2014, 07:36:35 pm
I am sure they will attempt to mimic the Ole Miss defensive scheme that utilized quickness on defense, over size. Hopefully, we learned something about that.

I suspect that Mizzou will have more of a running game than Ole Miss did. Better hope that Mauk doesn't toss some INT's, even though he has been making better decisions of late.

Yes, turnovers will be a big key to this game. 

HF#1

We control the LOS, we win the game, period.  The most physical team Mizzou played, beat their ass convincingly. 

I suspect Mauk will give us a few early Christmas gifts in the form of interceptions. 

The closer we get to game day, the more I don't think this one will be close.  Arkansas wins and another shutout is not out of the question.

My only concern is their running game.  They have a RB that can get down field in a hurry.  If we let him run loose, we will have a ballgame.  Still think we win, easily.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Dominicanhog

People are loading the box and we have been hitting the big pass on 3rd down more often.. we haven't been blowing out any of these great defenses we've been playing.. we'll have to play a clean game and most of all the DEFENSE has been and has to show up big.

PonderinHog

We should knock a few of Mauk's passes down at the LOS.  His release point looks low.

DukeOfPork

For Mizzou, it's simple....don't beat yourself.  In the games where they have struggled, it's been because of turnovers and penalties.  Not sure of the stat, but it wouldn't surprise me if Mizzou leads the SEC in penalties.  If Mizzou wins the turnover battle and keeps the penalties to a minimum, they win

Turnovers are the single most significant statistic for any team in any game.

But it's not like turnovers have been Mizzou's only problem on offense.  You guys struggled mightily on offense for about a month and a half, only coming out of your slumber in the last two games.  Mizzou's output against UGA and UF was nothing short of abysmal, and those are the only defenses on your schedule that are better than Arkansas' defense.

Having said that, it does look like Mizzou has righted the ship, and they have a hell of a knack for winning.  And at the end of the day, that's what it's all about.

I do think it'll be a very evenly matched game.  I think Arkansas wins a close one, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Mizzou pull out another win, like they often do.

Hoggam's Razor

Right now the Hogs and Mizzou have two of the top defensive lines in the SEC/country.  I think it comes down to a battle of our O-line vs. their D-line. 
I hate it when people complain.

TMc

It's going to be a tough game. I think we win.., but we're not going to walk in there and blow them off the ball.  One thing about Mizzou - they keep winning. I don't care what division they're in- they've won.  It's their senior day, and a chance to go to Atlanta. We will have to take it from them, and we have to be able to run the dang football.

idochog

Mauck only completes 47% of his passes & he stares down receivers
I love Jesus!

wupigsuey

Quote from: idochog on November 26, 2014, 09:48:46 pm
Mauck only completes 47% of his passes & he stares down receivers

I have it on good authority his ass stinks and he don't love jesus.

clew

We actually do better than a lot of folks think on 3rd and 5+. One of the better teams in the SEC at converting.
Pure as the dawn

Fayettechill14

You make a good point about penalties and turnovers. I think those are key.

For the season, I think Arkansas has shown more consistency on offense than Mizzou and both defenses are roughly equal. Thus, I think if Arkansas doesn't turn it over they are almost guaranteed to win. Mizzou may have to do more than just not turn it over.

Neither team wants third and long. Mizzou's pass-rush will really cause the Hog line problems in third and long, and the Hog D has been incredible with their backs against the wall. So yeah, avoiding third and long is another big key.

ICEman

Quote from: Hoggam's Razor on November 26, 2014, 09:45:33 pm
Right now the Hogs and Mizzou have two of the top defensive lines in the SEC/country.  I think it comes down to a battle of our O-line vs. their D-line. 
Quel sorte offensive competition did Mizzou earn that lofty defensive rating?
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Fayettechill14

Quote from: ICEman on November 26, 2014, 10:14:03 pm

They haven't faced near the schedule of the Hogs, but they've had some good games. They held the Aggies to 27 on their home field (Hogs gave up 28 in regulation). Probably their best game was holding South Carolina to 20. Carolina's defense is awful, but the offense is pretty good.

I'm not putting much stock into them stopping Dobbs and Tennessee. People got all excited about Dobbs based on him torching Alabama late in the game when the score was out of reach and then having good games against South Carolina and Kentucky, both of which have terrible defenses that have managed to regress over the course of the year.

reddogjcss

The smaller but very fast line men of Ole Miss give our running game trouble! If we run the ball well we will win. You take no team in the SEC lightly. Any team in the SEC can beat you on any given game day. If we lace our shoes tight and keep building on last two games we will win. Pray our special teams play as well as they did against ole miss.
WPS lets make it 7 and three shut out goose eggs in a row.

Hoggam's Razor

Quote from: ICEman on November 26, 2014, 10:14:03 pm
Mizzou does have an above average Dline.  Is our Oline above average?  I think so, but I think that's going to be something to watch.  I do think if our defense continues in the direction that it's been going then that will be the difference in the game.  If they can score easily then we lose.

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas could beat Missouri even if negative on turnover ratio and even without help from penalties. Missouri's offense is going to struggle.
[CENSORED]!

Hoggam's Razor

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 26, 2014, 10:29:44 pm
Arkansas could beat Missouri even if negative on turnover ratio and even without help from penalties. Missouri's offense is going to struggle.
I respectfully disagree.  The Hogs aren't good enough to absorb turnovers and penalties and still win.
I think we need to have pretty close to an error free game to win.  The match up is too close.

Qadi999

Bottom line If we have to depend on our offense to win we lose the game. Our Offense is good for 14 to 21 points  If our Defense dose not hold mizz to 14 points or less we lose. We are just to bad at blocking to win without Defense.

reddogjcss

I hope team doesn't think it will be as easy as some fans. I think the will go to prove a point on the road and win.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 26, 2014, 10:29:44 pm

Mizzou has rediscovered their offense the last two weeks.  But they put up 150 yards or less against UGA and Florida.  And Arkansas' defense is the best they've seen since those two games.

I think Mizzou and Arkansas are both peaking right now.  Should be a tight game.

rickm1976

Dude, I hope you're right, but it could go either way.  Mizzou is not going to be a pushover.  I have seen them play several times this year, and they are much more physical than some of us think.  I really think we have the edge, and will win - maybe even big, but we will have to play well and not turn the ball over.  Making mental mistakes and giving up big plays could put us in a deep hole we won't be able to overcome.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: DukeOfPork on November 26, 2014, 10:48:41 pm
Mizzou has rediscovered their offense the last two weeks.  But they put up 150 yards or less against UGA and Florida.  And Arkansas' defense is the best they've seen since those two games.

I think Mizzou and Arkansas are both peaking right now.  Should be a tight game.

Lots of teams "rediscover" their offense by playing Texas A&M's defense and Tennessee's sans all-American linebacker A.J. Johnson and two secondary starters. They may be playing better, but moving the ball against those two isn't a huge accomplishment.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on November 26, 2014, 10:54:55 pm
Lots of teams "rediscover" their offense by playing Texas A&M's defense and Tennessee's sans all-American linebacker A.J. Johnson and two secondary starters. They may be playing better, but moving the ball against those two isn't a huge accomplishment.

Yeah, the quality of their opponents the last couple weeks is not lost on me.  That's why I am cautiously optimistic about a win in Columbia.

Mizzou deserves all the credit in the world for the regularity with which they take care of business in the SEC.  But damn, that is a weak-@ss schedule they've played.

It's hard to get a read on this game because they have been beating lousy teams and generally winning unconvincingly...but still winning, nonetheless.

KennyForAD

Quote from: rickm1976 on November 26, 2014, 10:49:40 pm
Dude, I hope you're right, but it could go either way.  Mizzou is not going to be a pushover.  I have seen them play several times this year, and they are much more physical than some of us think.  I really think we have the edge, and will win - maybe even big, but we will have to play well and not turn the ball over.  Making mental mistakes and giving up big plays could put us in a deep hole we won't be able to overcome.

Blow ... out

3kgthog

We haven't run at will on any team with a pulse. We can't even get one yard as most of our 4th and 1 and goal line attempts have shown.

KennyForAD

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 27, 2014, 12:38:12 am
We haven't run at will on any team with a pulse. We can't even get one yard as most of our 4th and 1 and goal line attempts have shown.

Okey dokey.  Like MizzouMan said, "We'll see."   

A.K.A.

TOP means nothing, that is a natural result of winning. Look at our game against Georgia & Texas A&M as an example.
Home town of Texarkana Arkansas

Fayettechill14

Quote from: DukeOfPork on November 27, 2014, 12:04:10 am
Yeah, the quality of their opponents the last couple weeks is not lost on me.  That's why I am cautiously optimistic about a win in Columbia.

Mizzou deserves all the credit in the world for the regularity with which they take care of business in the SEC.  But damn, that is a weak-@ss schedule they've played.

It's hard to get a read on this game because they have been beating lousy teams and generally winning unconvincingly...but still winning, nonetheless.

If they beat us and win the SEC East at 7-1 they will have zero wins over teams with winning conference records.

31to6

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on November 27, 2014, 01:04:51 am
If they beat us and win the SEC East at 7-1 they will have zero wins over teams with winning conference records.
C'mon. Be fair. SDSU, Toledo and UCF all have winning conference records.

:P

TheGrove68

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 26, 2014, 07:36:35 pm

I not sure our DL is as small as some Ark. Fans believe..

Mizzou DT

Hoch 6'5 300
Vincent 6'2 305
Brantley 6'3 300
Augusta 6'4 300

DE
Golden 6'3 260
Ray 6'3 250
Loud 6'4 270
Harris 6'3 240

Ark. DT

Johnson 6'2 255
Philion 6'2 272
Jackson 6'2 324
Hodge 6'1 335

DE
Flowers 6'3 270
Winston 6'4 250
Loewen 6'4 270
Lewis 6'4 260

Ark. Back up DT are pretty big but the other DL are not any bigger than our DL

The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

Großer Kriegschwein

KEYS TO VICTORY:

So play fundamental football. Ok.. Got it.

Maybe even run the Wing-T a little bit you think?
This is my non-signature signature.

razorbackkid

We spent all our bullets shooting ourselves in the foot early in the season, now our gun is empty and our feet have healed.

I don't see any reason to reload the gun this late in the season.

:razorback:
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

PonderinHog

Quote from: wupigsuey on November 26, 2014, 09:51:08 pm
I have it on good authority his ass stinks and he don't love jesus.
First hand knowledge ???   ;D

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: TheGrove68 on November 27, 2014, 01:46:56 am
I not sure our DL is as small as some Ark. Fans believe..

Mizzou DT

Hoch 6'5 300
Vincent 6'2 305
Brantley 6'3 300
Augusta 6'4 300

DE
Golden 6'3 260
Ray 6'3 250
Loud 6'4 270
Harris 6'3 240

Ark. DT

Johnson 6'2 255
Philion 6'2 272
Jackson 6'2 324
Hodge 6'1 335

DE
Flowers 6'3 270
Winston 6'4 250
Loewen 6'4 270
Lewis 6'4 260

Ark. Back up DT are pretty big but the other DL are not any bigger than our DL

It's pointless to compare your d line's size to our d line's size. Compare your d line's size to our o line's size and you'll see why we're saying it's small

GuvHog

Quote from: DukeOfPork on November 27, 2014, 12:04:10 am

With the exception of Georgia (who blew Mizzou out), the quality of their opponents has been questionable at best all year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 27, 2014, 12:50:14 am
Okey dokey.  Like MizzouMan said, "We'll see."   

He's right.  We have not dominated anyone in the SEC with our offensive line, so I'm not sure why we would assume that we would dominate a team that is 6-1 in conference.

lilRockNDubb

328 vs 274. We ground and pound their speed.

Zoufan

"You are what your record says you are". Bill Parcells

Kevin

i would like to see some offsides on mizzou tomorrow. vary the snap count, go with some hard counts. see if that does not slow them down some on the snap
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: DukeOfPork on November 27, 2014, 10:24:22 am
He's right.  We have not dominated anyone in the SEC with our offensive line, so I'm not sure why we would assume that we would dominate a team that is 6-1 in conference.

Well, I watched all the Indiana game, and that's why I assume we could dominate them.

I guess it's possible you could just say that was a bad game for Mizzou, but in the fourth quarter they couldn't come close to slowing down a power running game that is not up to SEC standards.

IMO we don't have to dominate to win, we just have to be productive.  If we can run the ball for 200 yards, then we win, assuming our D continues to play at the level we've seen the last two weeks.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858