Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My playoff system

Started by Piggfoot, November 26, 2014, 11:20:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

National Championship team to come from the power five conferences.

Each power five school must play one team from each of the four remaining power five schools preferably on a home and home basis and then pick up another team after the two year rotation. These games preferably in the first 6 games of the year.

Each team must play 6 or 7 conference games. Using Arkansas as an example. Year one, three teams from the west and three teams from the east. Year two three teams from the west and four teams from the east. Conference champion to be determined by a method similar to the present division winner format.

Each team has one or two optional games to be against a rival or any other D1 school

Year end each team should have played 12 games and have 2 off weeks preferably the off weeks should be distributed throughout the year on an equal basis but striving not to have all teams play 40404.  ie, 30405, 50304, 40503 etc.

At the conclusion of the season the existing committee, the coaches poll, the AP poll and a two computer power polls could be averaged to determine the top 16 teams.
Another function of the committee would be to determine the 4 ooc power schedule for each team. Preferably on a five year basis.

During the normal conference championship time slot the 16 teams would begin the play off. The winning 8 advance to one of the four year end major bowls, the four winners to a playoff game and the two winners to the championship game.

The losers of the first 16 team playoff, advance to any of the remaining bowl games.

easy peasy.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 26, 2014, 11:20:00 am
National Championship team to come from the power five conferences.

Each power five school must play one team from each of the four remaining power five schools preferably on a home and home basis and then pick up another team after the two year rotation. These games preferably in the first 6 games of the year.

Each team must play 6 or 7 conference games. Using Arkansas as an example. Year one, three teams from the west and three teams from the east. Year two three teams from the west and four teams from the east. Conference champion to be determined by a method similar to the present division winner format.

Each team has one or two optional games to be against a rival or any other D1 school

Year end each team should have played 12 games and have 2 off weeks preferably the off weeks should be distributed throughout the year on an equal basis but striving not to have all teams play 40404.  ie, 30405, 50304, 40503 etc.

At the conclusion of the season the existing committee, the coaches poll, the AP poll and a two computer power polls could be averaged to determine the top 16 teams.
Another function of the committee would be to determine the 4 ooc power schedule for each team. Preferably on a five year basis.

During the normal conference championship time slot the 16 teams would begin the play off. The winning 8 advance to one of the four year end major bowls, the four winners to a playoff game and the two winners to the championship game.

The losers of the first 16 team playoff, advance to any of the remaining bowl games.

easy peasy.

Dummy Wummy........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jgphillips3

That would take a while to set up.  In the meantime, we could do 8 with the first round the week after conference championships and the four highest seed hosting a home playoff game.  Then the already established bowl rotation could take the top 4 as they are doing this year and the losing four could go to the remaining bowls.  It would only delay bowl announcements by a week, prevent too much extra travel and get all the teams that really deserve a shot into the mix.

Wooderson

The best is to have six.  With the top two having a bye.  Take five conference champs with an at large bid.

I can't stomach the idea of an 8 seed team with 2 or 3 losses winning it all. 
Give me liberty, or give me death!

rzrbackrob

8 teams
Any more is too much, any less is too little

Auto bids for power 5 teams that have championship games
Shuts up the B1G about conference champions
Makes the conference championship games mean a lot more
If the big 12 expands to 12, then the power 5 will have more than 1/2 of all the Div 1 football teams

Auto bid (one) for of the remaining teams outside the power 5 selected by the present committee (avoiding lawsuits from the leftovers)

2-3 teams at large depending if the big 12 decides to expand and have championship game selected by present committee

Good is the enemy of great

Lake City Hog

I am TOTALLY against auto-bids. If a conference has a down year do they still deserve a seat at the table?

Murr

My playoff system rule:

FSU is disqualified.  F'em.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Wooderson on November 26, 2014, 05:01:27 pm
The best is to have six.  With the top two having a bye.  Take five conference champs with an at large bid.

I can't stomach the idea of an 8 seed team with 2 or 3 losses winning it all. 

What if that 10-2, #8 team had been Arkansas in 2010 or 2011?  Would you still be upset?  I wouldn't.  To be fair, it would be a rare year that any two loss team could survive a three game gauntlet against unbeaten and one loss teams to win it all.  This isn't basketball.

Hogfaniam

I'm for 12

This would be the 'Spread the Cheddar' plan.  Every FBS Conference would get exposure and money.  This would help with parity and strengthening the G5 schools.

Here is the fill in based on rankings and standings today:

1 Alabama SEC Champ
8 Boise St. MWC Champ
9 Marshall CUSA Champ

4 Mississippi St. At Large
12 N. Illinois MAC Champ
5. TCU Big 12 Champ

2 Oregon Pac 12 Champ
10 Memphis AAC Champ
7.  Baylor. At Large

3 Florida St. ACC Champ
11 Georgia So Sun Belt Champ
6.  Ohio St. B1G Champ

And this is why:

1.  You get the top 4 we have now
2.  You get 2 at large, that many call for, to include teams with championship resumes
3.  You have conference champions that maintains the importance of the regular season
4.  It reduces the complaints about being left out nearly down to zero.
5.  It doesn't over burden the student athlete
6.  It rewards the top 4 with a bye
7.  It allows me, the fan, to watch more meaningful football
8.  It keeps the bowl system intact, which allows me, the fan, to watch more college football

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"