Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greetings from Iona/NYC

Started by GaelFan, November 26, 2014, 03:19:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GaelFan

Hello Razorback fans. Planning to make the trip out from NYC to Fayetteville for our game this Sunday. Will have quite a bit of downtime on Saturday, so any recommendations on places to eat, places to see, etc. would be appreciated.

Looking forward to an exciting and hopefully competitive game between our two teams. You guys look great this season, last night's win against SMU was really impressive, and I haven't seen a team as deep as yours in a while.

While you're probably chalking this game up as a sleeper win, I'm hoping our Gaels can keep things interesting. We have some real firepower and 3 players that can play at any level in the country in AJ English, Isaiah Williams and David Laury. We should have an RPI of high 40s/low 50s by end of season, so this game shouldn't be a total RPI killer for you. If we can catch you guys on an off night and get you into a track meet like our team likes to play, we might have a puncher's chance.

Anyway, been really impressed with your Hogs so far this season, and looking forward to following you all year long, and to an NCAA run by both of our teams.

Any recommendations while I'm in town would be much appreciated.

razorhog52

Weather on Saturday is supposed to be great. A lot to do in NWA. I'd suggest heading up to Crystal Bridges art museum in Bentonville. (About 30 min from campus). You can go to the Bentonville square and see the original Walmart.

Other possibilities would be lunch on Dickson Street and then walk through campus. Lots of good places to eat. Lots of good places to watch the football games that day.

Any specific things you like to do or foods you want to eat, I'm sure people on here will be happy to chime in. Safe travels.

popcornhog

Saturday lunch at Bordino's.

http://bordinos.com

After lunch just walk around Dickson St and/or the Square (all walking from lunch) and find an adult beverage or two.

Saturday dinner at Herman's.

http://www.hermansribhouse.com

Sunday brunch at Emelia's.

http://m.yelp.com/biz/emelias-mediterranean-kitchen-fayetteville

Enjoy Fayetteville and go hogs!
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: razorhog52 on November 26, 2014, 03:53:23 am
Weather on Saturday is supposed to be great. A lot to do in NWA. I'd suggest heading up to Crystal Bridges art museum in Bentonville. (About 30 min from campus). You can go to the Bentonville square and see the original Walmart.

Other possibilities would be lunch on Dickson Street and then walk through campus. Lots of good places to eat. Lots of good places to watch the football games that day.

Any specific things you like to do or foods you want to eat, I'm sure people on here will be happy to chime in. Safe travels.

http://crystalbridges.org/exhibitions/

Just note that Crystal Bridges is about 25 minutes north of town. It's worth the drive if you've got time though.
WPS

GaelFan

Thanks all. This is great. Looking forward to a competitive game (hopefully) on Sunday, and to a great time in Fayetteville.

PonderinHog

Somebody mention a track meet?   :razorback:

40MINSOFHELL

I don't think it's a good idea to run with us at BWA.

Rooka

Quote from: GaelFan on November 26, 2014, 03:19:11 am
Hello Razorback fans. Planning to make the trip out from NYC to Fayetteville for our game this Sunday. Will have quite a bit of downtime on Saturday, so any recommendations on places to eat, places to see, etc. would be appreciated.

Looking forward to an exciting and hopefully competitive game between our two teams. You guys look great this season, last night's win against SMU was really impressive, and I haven't seen a team as deep as yours in a while.

While you're probably chalking this game up as a sleeper win, I'm hoping our Gaels can keep things interesting. We have some real firepower and 3 players that can play at any level in the country in AJ English, Isaiah Williams and David Laury. We should have an RPI of high 40s/low 50s by end of season, so this game shouldn't be a total RPI killer for you. If we can catch you guys on an off night and get you into a track meet like our team likes to play, we might have a puncher's chance.

Anyway, been really impressed with your Hogs so far this season, and looking forward to following you all year long, and to an NCAA run by both of our teams.

Any recommendations while I'm in town would be much appreciated.
Welcome and have a great time...GO HOGS

The_Iceman

Crystal Bridges is a must on a beautiful day. The Bentonville town square is neat too.

Since the weather will be nice, try sitting outside on the patio at Sassys Red house BBQ. Excellent food and environment.

jcam61

Enjoy the sites.  Are you affiliated with Iona in some way or just a fan? 

TNhawgfan

Thanks for coming down and helping our local economy. Enjoy your loss  ;)
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

McKdaddy

Glad to have you on HV, GaelFan.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

hobhog

Make sure you walk to the front steps of Ole Main. That's where it all started for UofA and best place to get feel for the university.

outlawhogeywells

Hard not to thorw in Hugo's for lunch either a Fayetteville institution.
Also go see the lights on the Fayetteville square on Saturday night.

ConnGael

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on November 26, 2014, 06:54:09 am
I don't think it's a good idea to run with us at BWA.
LOL, we run with everybody.  Its in our DNA.  If it results in a 30 pt. loss on Sunday so be it.  We have a bunch of new guys who need to learn how we play.

Very impressed with the Hogs so far.  Love Portis.  You guys will be quite a challenge especially in your place.  Do you foresee a decent crowd?  I'm assuming the students are off for the Holiday.

Danny J

Iona is a classic trap game........I hope our guys are ready and not sleepwalking.

Popcornhog made some good suggestions. I would take him up on those restaurants. The Xmas lights(lights of the ozarks) on the square in Fayetteville, which is not very far from BWA or Dickson street is a must see after dark. I think you guys will enjoy your time in Fayetteville. People are VERY friendly here in Arkansas and it just has a nice small town feel for a major college town. Enjoy.

earshot

Quote from: ConnGael on November 26, 2014, 09:02:33 am
Do you foresee a decent crowd?  I'm assuming the students are off for the Holiday.

Bud Walton seats 18,000 so if only 8,000 show up it looks empty.

McKdaddy

Quote from: ConnGael on November 26, 2014, 09:02:33 am

Do you foresee a decent crowd?

I wonder about that myself. I have 3 season tix on the 8th row, but it looks doubtful for this game based on our holiday plans. We'll see. I wonder how many people might also not be going for similar reasons.

WooPig90

You are one loyal/diehard fan!

ConnGael

Quote from: McKdaddy on November 26, 2014, 09:36:28 am
I wonder about that myself. I have 3 season tix on the 8th row, but it looks doubtful for this game based on our holiday plans. We'll see. I wonder how many people might also not be going for similar reasons.
Good to see a Cards fan.  Jason Motte is an Iona alum.  Played catcher for the Gaels.

ConnGael

Quote from: Rooka on November 26, 2014, 07:11:30 am
Welcome and have a great time...GO HOGS
How about that 5-0 win v Schalke?  Murinho is a ruthless SOB, but I see this team winning the double.  Just need Costa to stay healthy, and Fabregas  :)

rwspear

running with the hogs is like the gazelle that runs with the cheetah...

it wont end well

PigWig

Food in Fayetteville:
Catfish Hole, Sassy's, and the ones mentioned above

Food in Bentonville (if you do a side trip):
Fred's Hickory Inn, Tusk and Trotter, The Hive at 21c, Table Mesa, just to name a few and all within 5 minutes of Crystal Bridges Museum and the Walmart Museum

Also as mentioned earlier, the Fayetteville Square is lit with Christmas lights, and they'll have camel and pony rides, food vendors, etc if you're bringing the family.  Dickson Street is the nightlife hub in Fayetteville and would have tons of bar and restaurant choices on Saturday night at all ends of the spectrum. 

Enjoy your time in NWA.

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 26, 2014, 07:14:39 am
Crystal Bridges is a must on a beautiful day. The Bentonville town square is neat too.

Since the weather will be nice, try sitting outside on the patio at Sassys Red house BBQ. Excellent food and environment.

I don't get the hype at Sassy's.

When I was in college it was called Sassafras. There was an old timer who played the piano. It was a white tablecloth joint -- pretty good.

If you want bbq in Fayetteville, go to Whole Hog.

Jmo
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: ConnGael on November 26, 2014, 09:43:55 am
Good to see a Cards fan.  Jason Motte is an Iona alum.  Played catcher for the Gaels.

We are all Cardinals fans here. You are among family in that regard.
WPS

McKdaddy

Quote from: ConnGael on November 26, 2014, 09:43:55 am
Jason Motte is an Iona alum.  Played catcher for the Gaels.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: popcornhog on November 26, 2014, 10:09:44 am

When I was in college it was called Sassafras. There was an old timer who played the piano. It was a white tablecloth joint -- pretty good.

Jmo

If it's as good as the one in Little Rock, it's awesome.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

JIHawg

Crystal Bridges is a must.  You can have lunch there.

While at Bud Walton, tour the Hog basketball museum.  It's well done and tells our roundball history.

Enjoy your time here.  Arkansans take pride in being hospitable to visitors.

ConnGael

Quote from: rwspear on November 26, 2014, 10:03:41 am

it wont end well
LOL, trust me, I have nothing but respect for how good your team is and your University.  Its the tough guy posts that crack me up.  All the best.

Danny J

Quote from: earshot on November 26, 2014, 09:26:18 am
Bud Walton seats 18,000 so if only 8,000 show up it looks empty.
This is very true....I would expect probably close to 10k or a hair more. With every win and every uptick in the polls the more the fans will return for OOC games against smaller schools. Just going to take time.

PigWig

Quote from: popcornhog on November 26, 2014, 10:09:44 am

Jmo
That's the secret, I don't get BBQ.  I get the chicken fried steak at Sassy's, and it is the best I've ever had in my life.  Combine that with Mother's Little Helper (IPA) on tap, lots of TVs everywhere, and a support of the Hogs, and Sassy's has my vote for one of the top 5-10 restaurants in Fayetteville. 

GaelFan

Quote from: rwspear on November 26, 2014, 10:03:41 am

it wont end well

Didn't mean that as an insult. You guys have a great bunch, and seem poised to make a deep run in March this year. Good luck to you.

Iona has a good track record over the past four seasons. Two NCAA berths (one at large BTW) and one NIT. Not bad for a tiny Catholic school that competes in the shadows of the Yankees, Knicks, Rangers, Nets, Islanders, Giants, Jets, St John's, Mets, and everything in between. :-)

opineonswine

Quote from: popcornhog on November 26, 2014, 10:11:09 am

Speak for yourself!!

G O  G I A N T S !!! (WORLD CHAMPS 3 OF LAST 5 YEARS)

ICEman

Quote from: Danny J on November 26, 2014, 10:29:50 am
This is very true....I would expect probably close to 10k or a hair more. With every win and every uptick in the polls the more the fans will return for OOC games against smaller schools. Just going to take time.
I remember the days when the box score attendance would routinely read 20,204.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

intelligence

If you want good italian, eat at Joes.

GaelFan

Quote from: intelligence on November 26, 2014, 12:27:12 pm
If you want good italian, eat at Joes.

Only thing I'll never eat outside of NY is Italian. Would love some great BBQ, TexMex, etc. Thx for the recs!

Mick Hogger

If you want BBQ, Whole Hog is what you've been looking for your whole life.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

WooPig90

Speak for yourself. Texas Rangers!

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: GaelFan on November 26, 2014, 01:36:09 pm
Only thing I'll never eat outside of NY is Italian. Would love some great BBQ, TexMex, etc. Thx for the recs!

Though some here will disagree with these choices, head to AQ Chicken or Monte Ne for outstanding home cooked style southern fried chicken (or chicken fried steak).  Great sides and deserts as well.

http://www.aqchickenhouse.net/

http://www.monteneinnchicken.net/

HawgnCorona

Quote from: opineonswine on November 26, 2014, 11:51:27 am
Speak for yourself!!

G O  G I A N T S !!! (WORLD CHAMPS 3 OF LAST 5 YEARS)

LOL!!!! /Traitor...I hate the Giants.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

40MINSOFHELL

People still watch baseball???

Danny J

Quote from: ICEman on November 26, 2014, 11:52:10 am
I remember the days when the box score attendance would routinely read 20,204.
Me too....me too.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: razorhog52 on November 26, 2014, 03:53:23 am
You can go to the Bentonville square and see the original Walmart.

WRONG!!!

The Bentonville Wal-Martian culture does not like to admit it, but the very first Wal-Mart store was located at the corner of Eighth and Walnut in beautiful downtown Rogers, Arkansas.

The store located on the Bentonville square was a "Walton 5 & 10". The present Wal-Mart store at 2300 W. Walnut is still referred to by Wal-Mart GO as "Wal-Mart store #0001"

DEVIL DOG HOG

Even if you don't like art, which I don't, Crystal Bridges is a must see. 
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

texhog

uh....no

GaelFan

Iona smoked Delaware State by 50 points tonight, dropping 126 on them and hitting 24 3 pointers (that's right, not a typo). Really curious to see how we stack up against you guys. Just want to keep it competitive for 40 minutes, that's all we can ask for. This is a perfect measuring stick game for us.

BTW, side note, but former Top 50 recruit and Mizzou transfer Cameron Biedscheid just committed to Iona. Figured you guys might know about him given the SEC and local proximity. He won't be eligible until next month most likely, though, so he'll miss this weekend's game.

Good luck to both our squads the rest of the way.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: GaelFan on November 26, 2014, 09:12:06 pm
Iona smoked Delaware State by 50 points tonight, dropping 126 on them and hitting 24 3 pointers (that's right, not a typo). Really curious to see how we stack up against you guys. Just want to keep it competitive for 40 minutes, that's all we can ask for. This is a perfect measuring stick game for us.

BTW, side note, but former Top 50 recruit and Mizzou transfer Cameron Biedscheid just committed to Iona. Figured you guys might know about him given the SEC and local proximity. He won't be eligible until next month most likely, though, so he'll miss this weekend's game.

Good luck to both our squads the rest of the way.

IMO you guys will be the best team we have played this season.

hvsupastar

Better get all you can out of the restaurants and sights. I'm afraid the game will be one to forget on your end! :)
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!