Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2-2-1

Started by azhog10, November 26, 2014, 12:25:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

azhog10

Watched the game late tonight due to practice running late. Obviously we did a lot of things that showed we are getting where we need to be to be mentally tough. We answered a number of times, but besides the players CMA did a couple things that honestly made me smile.

1.) He went to a 2-2-1 press trying to slow SMU down but also give them a different look. I think SMU got to 5 or 6 and we went to this and actually got one turnover and a few stops out of this. It showed in my mind that CMA knew he needed to change the tempo and did. Kudos.

2.) We were in a 2-3 zone in the 2nd half. SMU had failed to get a good look a couple times in a row. Larry Brown called a timeout and out of the timeout we went man to man but came out early of the timeout and actually gave a 2-3 look. This is just another thing that CMA did to keep SMU on their toes.

Great job hogs! We rebounded really well for us, and every single person contributed to this win!

Fayettechill14

We also came out of timeouts with good half-court plays. I thought when we slowed down our half-court offense looked competent. Not so much in recent years. I think we can play slower if need be, which will be huge when playing god-awful teams like Texas A&M, LSU, and Vanderbilt on the road.

The_Iceman

I think Mike switched to the 2-2-1 and 2-3 because we were in the double bonus.

Who is our Coach?

Throwing the zone at SMU at around the 3:00 mark completely threw them off.  It was probably the coaching move of the game.  It took them a minute to diagnose it and work up a play.  Think they had 2 or 3 straight empty trips.  Bell's steal and layup came out of the zone.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 26, 2014, 06:16:18 am
I think Mike switched to the 2-2-1 and 2-3 because we were in the double bonus.
That was definitely part of it. But I thought it was a huge move in changing the momentum of the game.

Big Nasty 34

That's the best I've seen a MA zone look. Good movement and help on shooters.

azhog10

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on November 26, 2014, 11:35:23 am
That's the best I've seen a MA zone look. Good movement and help on shooters.
Absoluyely the best rotation and rebounding I've seen on defense period from us against a good quality team.

mhuff

Quote from: azhog10 on November 26, 2014, 11:32:30 am
That was definitely part of it. But I thought it was a huge move in changing the momentum of the game.

I think it was because Williams got scored on 3 or 4 times in a row ,and MA wanted to stop the penetration to the basket cause they were killing us. Plus, the refs got on the band wagon calling fouls and allowing SMU to catch up without the clock running. We started going inside to Portis or it might have gotten really ugly...... I give MA high marks for controlling the tempo and winning on the road..... I wanted to see something I could hang my hat on.

mhuff

Quote from: azhog10 on November 26, 2014, 11:36:33 am
Absoluyely the best rotation and rebounding I've seen on defense period from us against a good quality team.

Still I want to see the ball go inside more on our offense...... good things happened when we did that..... it should....... Look at our inside player's shooting percentages.

mhuff

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on November 26, 2014, 07:32:05 am
Throwing the zone at SMU at around the 3:00 mark completely threw them off.  It was probably the coaching move of the game.  It took them a minute to diagnose it and work up a play.  Think they had 2 or 3 straight empty trips.  Bell's steal and layup came out of the zone.

That is the intended result. The sudden switch to a zone..... as Bobby Knight said recently....... is to make the offense have to think more ..... often times it results in a TO.

You can trap out of a zone ,and switch back to man to man the next trip down the court...... otherwise, cause havos on the offense...... ruin their day.

mhuff

Sorry double post.