Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quotes from Larry Brown

Started by WilsonHog, November 25, 2014, 09:46:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

@HImagazine: SMU's Larry Brown: "Arkansas came out more prepared to play and we were out-coached. We were 1-of-9 from the field with 7 turnovers. Awful."

@HImagazine: Brown: "They just came at us and we weren't ready. Our crowd helped us get back into the game, but we lost to a great team."

@HImagazine: Brown: "I don't ever remember having a team in my life going 1-of-9, 7 turnovers to start a game. We couldn't even get it over halfcourt."

@HImagazine: Larry Brown: "That kid Portis is a pretty damn good player. He is going to be playing somewhere else (NBA) pretty soon."

@HImagazine: Brown: "Portis is just a different kid this year. We wanted Nick Babb - he can barely get in at Arkansas. Probably put him in for his family."

@aafulller: Coaching legend Larry Brown: "I don't think their coach has to beg them to play hard; it's a culture now at Arkansas."

-Blu

LOL I love Larry Brown, dude says what he wants and is always honest.

Funniest quote

@HImagazine: Brown: "We wanted Nick Babb - he can barely get in at Arkansas. Probably put him in for his family."

Funny, but I don't think that's the reason Babb got put in.  Madden was in foul trouble, Durham had just picked up a foul, so he was the next guy in line and he played solid for those few minutes he got.

Breems

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 25, 2014, 09:46:31 pm
@HImagazine: We wanted Nick Babb - he can barely get in at Arkansas. Probably put him in for his family."

Anyone else find that quote odd?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

-Blu

Quote from: Breems on November 25, 2014, 09:53:57 pm

LOL beat you to it.  Yes, it was odd.

arktravlr

My favorite is that last line. :razorback:

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

nextlevel

Quote from: wupigsuey on November 25, 2014, 09:56:34 pm
Hey jealousy..

Not jealousy, its a compliment about the depth of the team how a guy he really wanted can't get more minutes.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

b_stackhouse

It's like he is still trying to recruit him. Trying to get him to transfer or something.

-Blu

Hey jealousy..

Yea seems like he's mad about it.  Wanted to send a message to him or his family that he could be playing a lot of minutes had he went to SMU.  But, Nick doesn't need to worry about that, he'll be an important part of our future.  He'll learn his freshman year, then he's going to excel in the system probably starting next year.

Polecat

I noticed that Brown and Babb exchanged a big hug after the game. I assumed he recruited Babb pretty hard
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

wupigsuey

Quote from: nextlevel on November 25, 2014, 09:57:50 pm
Not jealousy, its a compliment about the depth of the team how a guy he really wanted can't get more minutes.

Sounds more like he's pissed he didn't get him
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: b_stackhouse on November 25, 2014, 09:58:43 pm
It's like he is still trying to recruit him. Trying to get him to transfer or something.

tampering?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

JonClaudeVanHam

Classic Hogville thread. One of the best coaches in basketball history compliments our team and people want him reprimanded for tampering.

Classic, absolutely classic.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

nextlevel

Quote from: wupigsuey on November 25, 2014, 09:59:48 pm
Sounds more like he's pissed he didn't get him

Of course he's pissed he didn't get him.

Doesn't mean he trying to get him to transfer, Brown could wake up in the morning and say "you know what, I've done enough", and that would be the end of his career, he has nothing to prove and is doing this as a hobby at this point.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Hawg Red

I honestly don't think he was taking a jab at Babb or being salty. He was just praising our depth by saying that a player they really wanted can't crack our rotation. It just sounds kinda bad because he made the comment about him only playing because of family. They went after Babb hard, so I'm sure that he wouldn't want to tick him off in the event that Babb gets tired of "barely getting in" here.

popcornhog

Quote from: -Blu on November 25, 2014, 09:54:50 pm
LOL beat you to it.  Yes, it was odd.

I think it was just a compliment to our depth.
WPS

Danny J

The Babb comments caught me off guard as well. Babb is going to be a very very good basketball player. He is still growing and is very very intelligent. Just listen to him speak. He seems to already understand what CMA wants to do and as a freshman that is very encouraging. Hard for first year guys to really grasp. Beard is also playing very well. He seems to catch guys guarding him wrong down low with that left handed shot. Both were really good gets.

PonderinHog

I thought he was taking a shot at his own team.

Cresthog

Great stuff WH.

Larry is a Legend no doubt.

HogSkinsDisease

Quote from: -Blu on November 25, 2014, 09:53:26 pm

Funniest quote

@HImagazine: Brown: "We wanted Nick Babb - he can barely get in at Arkansas. Probably put him in for his family."

Funny, but I don't think that's the reason Babb got put in.  Madden was in foul trouble, Durham had just picked up a foul, so he was the next guy in line and he played solid for those few minutes he got.

Babb has impressed me much more than Durham. I wouldn't mind at all if Babb got Durham's minutes to see what he can do before conference. 

SPAL

EngrHog

It was simply a compliment to our quality depth, don't know how that could be taken out of context so badly
Whether you think you can do something or not, you are probably right

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 25, 2014, 10:10:02 pm
It just sounds kinda bad because he made the comment about him only playing because of family.

^ This right here.  I love Larry Brown as a coach, but him adding the part at the end made him sound a little "salty" even if that wasn't the intent.  I don't think I've ever heard a coach make the comment about that another team's player is only playing because his family was in the crowd, it was kinda weird.  But all in all those were great comments from Larry Brown, he gave us some really good compliments last year as well.

-Blu

Quote from: Hogs1994 on November 25, 2014, 10:32:36 pm
It was simply a compliment to our quality depth, don't know how that could be taken out of context so badly

Can you find a quote where another coach has said the only reason a player on another team played because his family was there?  I get what he was trying to say and I agree he wanted it to come off as a compliment, but he should have left the part about his family out, it just made it weird.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 25, 2014, 10:10:02 pm
I honestly don't think he was taking a jab at Babb or being salty. He was just praising our depth by saying that a player they really wanted can't crack our rotation. It just sounds kinda bad because he made the comment about him only playing because of family. They went after Babb hard, so I'm sure that he wouldn't want to tick him off in the event that Babb gets tired of "barely getting in" here.

Considering he's from Arlington I'd bet he had family at the game and that's what Coach Brown was referring too.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

regi

No, find it honest. They wanted him, and watching the game, Babb was not ready for that type of game.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Polecat on November 25, 2014, 09:59:22 pm
I noticed that Brown and Babb exchanged a big hug after the game. I assumed he recruited Babb pretty hard

I saw that and figured they had some (recruiting) history. And his family was certainly there—his dad and uncle run a BBQ joint on the edge of downtown Dallas.

I went there this summer and met all of them, including Nick. Very nice young man. (Pics to come, when I can find them.)
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

The Boar War

Did Coach Brown offer any insight into Keaton Miles' playing time?

sigpooie

That's a backhanded complement to Babb. And if Brown thinks he's good then we should too. That Man knows the playground and I love that we are getting kids like he and Lefty.. This team is a lot like the groups that went to final fours and this is what most of the road wins felt like. WPS
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

TNhawgfan

I hope he's wrong about the portis soon playing in the NBA comment. I don't want to lose the kid
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Hogfaniam

The only thing missing from the Babb quote was

[attachment deleted by admin]
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

TomBigBeeHog

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

SwinerBock

Meh.  He probably didn't mean anything by it.  Besides, at the time of his decision, there was no guarantee Babb would have gotten any more playing time as a FR for SMU as he than he would get with the Hogs.  Who could have foreseen SMU's star recruit taking off to China, and their star big man having eligibility issues for the first semester, thus freeing up possible minutes for a frosh guard.  Hindsight is 20/20.

latrops

Quote from: -Blu on November 25, 2014, 10:50:57 pm
Can you find a quote where another coach has said the only reason a player on another team played because his family was there?  I get what he was trying to say and I agree he wanted it to come off as a compliment, but he should have left the part about his family out, it just made it weird.

Brown didn't use the word "only".  Maybe implied given the context, however, I'm assuming he was asked questions that led to many of these quotes. 

Kevin

Quote from: -Blu on November 25, 2014, 09:58:50 pm
Yea seems like he's mad about it.  Wanted to send a message to him or his family that he could be playing a lot of minutes had he went to SMU.  But, Nick doesn't need to worry about that, he'll be an important part of our future.  He'll learn his freshman year, then he's going to excel in the system probably starting next year.

exactly. it was calculated.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

rzrbackramsfan

Hawg Red

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 25, 2014, 11:00:55 pm
Considering he's from Arlington I'd bet he had family at the game and that's what Coach Brown was referring too.

No one is contesting that he had family there.

Piggage

Hey jealousy..

"The past is gone, but something might be found to take its place..."

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 26, 2014, 08:48:39 am
Here's a link to his PC https://m.youtube.com/watch?autoplay=1&v=x_oH_GcPQkA

At the 1:51 mark of the PC:

Larry Brown on Keith Frazier, "Keith is continuing, in his own way, to get better but he missed a one handed lob play when you had a chance to catch it with two hands. It's a big assed difference". Lol!

-Blu

Quote from: latrops on November 26, 2014, 08:41:59 am
Brown didn't use the word "only".  Maybe implied given the context, however, I'm assuming he was asked questions that led to many of these quotes.

He said " They put him in just so his family could see him."

Polecat

Quote from: The Boar War on November 25, 2014, 11:21:08 pm
Did Coach Brown offer any insight into Keaton Miles' playing time?

I see what you did there
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

HawgnCorona

You could have look at it as a "back-handed" compliment. He could have went to SMU and play a little of minutes. But he is missing a couple of pieces that he figured to be in the back court.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on November 25, 2014, 09:53:26 pm

Funniest quote

Maybe he was insinuating Babb would be playing more if he had gone to SMU. I think he should be playing more myself.

Danny J

Quote from: mhuff on November 26, 2014, 04:49:39 pm
Maybe he was insinuating Babb would be playing more if he had gone to SMU. I think he should be playing more myself.
You are right on both counts. He would probably be a starter for SMU right now if not the first off the bench. He should be getting more time right now especially in OOC play. I have not seen him make many mistakes at all and as a matter of fact he does things especially on defense really well. That is really astounding for a first year guy in this system especially on defense. Beard is playing well also. CMA has done a great job recruiting guys that fit what he wants to do very very well.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on November 25, 2014, 10:07:56 pm
Classic Hogville thread. One of the best coaches in basketball history compliments our team and people want him reprimanded for tampering.

hilarious. Mental midgets.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on November 25, 2014, 10:07:56 pm

No one has argued that he should be reprimanded for tampering. Don't know where you read that. Going off half-cocked, now that's classic Hogville.

FATHAWG08

With the kid going to China being the #1 pick next year in the NBA by some experts &  their # 1 Big Guy on the bench this SMU team would of been loaded this year. Would of love to have played them with all their pieces. I loved our toughness last night but I am concerned with the number of fouls we committed. Babb will be an asset for this team this year.
I love off season Football!!

Nipsey Mussle

It's more of a subtle excuse than anything else. His point is that our second to last off the bench is better than most of their players.
Smu was lucky to ever get back in that game. The 2nd foul on Madden was a joke and messed up our offense for the remainder of the half and a lot of the rest of the game.

razorbackkid

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 25, 2014, 10:16:25 pm
I thought he was taking a shot at his own team.
He was .... and did.  But it also was a compliment towards the Hogs depth.

Two birds....one stone.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.