Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4th Quarter vs. last 2 weeks

Started by The Kig, November 25, 2014, 02:07:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Kig

The most frustrating part of the early season was our apparent inability to close out teams in the 4th quarter.  Big leads evaporating, critical conversions that didn't happen, and costly mistakes were evidence of a team that was "close" but still didn't have the stamina necessary to go 60 minutes with teams like BAMA or finish off a team on the ropes like A&M. 

While it is easy on paper to say that shutting a team out and making them play from behind is the right formula to overcome that, we finally saw evidence of it the last two weeks.  The biggest differences in my mind have been our defense stepping up and making plays at pivotal times and maintaining our offensive philosophy of burning the clock.

I bring this up because I think that this week presents several challenges that could have us slugging it out in the 4th quarter and either needing a big stop or a score to close it out.  While the possibility of either team having a comfortable margin going into the 4th remains, my primary question is IF the game is on the line in the 4th, do you believe this team made enough progress to snatch victory from the hands of defeat? 

I do... I BELIEVE.  It would have been so easy for this team to fold up shop and have players like Flowers go into pre-NFL prevent.  The quit was never in their hearts.  What seemed lacking was experience, stamina, fundamentals or just playing some pretty damn good teams.  They just needed to get a win to validate that all the blood, sweat, and tears was worth it.
Poker Porker

DLUXHOG

I think THIS defense has a mission to shut out 3 in a row!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

EastexHawg

Auburn, A&M, Alabama, and Mississippi State were better offensive teams than Ole Miss with Wallace injured, and much better than LSU.  LSU was pathetic offensively.  We could still be playing now and they wouldn't have 17 points.

The main reason we haven't surrendered leads is that our defense has dominated the last two opponents.  Actually, our defensive line dominated the Mississippi State game, too.  The secondary reason is because we've played two struggling offenses.  When you get six turnovers, one of them returned for a TD and one recovered on the opponent's one yard line, you're going to win about 100 times out of 100.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: DLUXHOG on November 25, 2014, 02:38:37 pm
I think THIS defense has a mission to shut out 3 in a row!
the back ups weren't lettin ole pissy score either. Coley was all over the place.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 25, 2014, 06:38:36 pm
the back ups weren't lettin ole pissy score either. Coley was all over the place.

Our 2's and 3's have come a long, long way since the beginning of the season.  That, in my opinion, has been the difference.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.