Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cowherd mentioned Bielema as a coach of the year candidate

Started by HawgTrough, November 25, 2014, 11:58:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgTrough

With a win at Mizzou, he should at least be a finalist.
WPS

hoofer

He also said Arkansas's defense was the best in the country, better than Bama's. I was loving his praise but then realized he's going a little over the top with that comment. We saw the same love and heightened expectations before the Georgia game predicting our breakthrough. So I'm a little concerned about the expectations game. Just when you put a team on this level they lay an egg.

Grag T

He absolutely should be a candidate.  He is every bit as legit as any other candidate would be.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

skbhog

Glad Cowherd is seeing what most of us have seen for a while now.
Even before the wins.

GolfnHog

short of another coach winning the NC game, I see no other Coach that has done more to earn, at minimum, the SEC Coach of the year.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

FutureMan

What Bielema has done with this team in such a short time is absolutely worthy of coach of the year.  He inherited a team where the popular opinion was it was going to take 3-5 years before becoming competitive.  He accomplished this in 1 year, if that isn't deserving, I don't know what is.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

trphog

I am a Bielemer all the way but it's hard to say he deserves it more than Dan Mullen. Miss State was picked in the pre-season to finish 5th or 6th in the SEC West and he has them in contention for a national championship.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: trphog on November 25, 2014, 12:56:56 pm
I am a Bielemer all the way but it's hard to say he deserves it more than Dan Mullen. Miss State was picked in the pre-season to finish 5th or 6th in the SEC West and he has them in contention for a national championship.

Yep.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hollywood_HOGan45

BB kept that team that was used to losing and turned them into a legitimate feared threat in the best division in all of football.

He deserves it.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on November 25, 2014, 01:01:30 pm
BB kept that team that was used to losing and turned them into a legitimate feared threat in the best division in all of football.

He deserves it.

Most folks were predicting 6-6 or 7-5 this year for the Hogs.

How many people were predicting MSU anywhere close to 11-1?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

secfan30

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 25, 2014, 01:05:34 pm

Outside of fans on this board or on the call in radio shows, what media or other outlet said we would be 6-6/5-7?

Grizzlyfan

It might be a stretch to say we have the "best" defense in the country, but it's not a stretch to say they are playing like it right now.

And I would be hard pressed to name any defenders playing better than Flowers, Philon, and Spaight.

FATHAWG08

keeping my mouth shut until Friday Night. I've been burnt a couple times this year. I believe but if I remain quiet we win. Last 2 weeks I've haven't given any praise before game. Plus I've been eating fish before games last 2 weeks, that will continue as well.
I love off season Football!!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: secfan30 on November 25, 2014, 01:08:41 pm
Outside of fans on this board or on the call in radio shows, what media or other outlet said we would be 6-6/5-7?

I see your point, but I believe anyone who was close enough to this program could have reasonably predicted those seasons.

Analysts from outside were certainly predicting less, but they really had no idea what the heck they were talking about.

But it's doubtful ANYONE could have predicted 11-1 for MSU, even their own fans.

Theolesnort

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 25, 2014, 01:05:34 pm

Do you mean by most folks, illogical fans or national pundits who mostly had us at 4 wins but were predicting Texas Tech to beat us and didn't know where the 4th win would come from. Remember, we would be much improved but our record would not show it? That is how I remember it.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

AugustaHog

He deserves the recognition, but will probably be beaten out by someone with a few more wins on the ledger.  I don't blame them.  I do think credit is deserved for where we were and where we are.  Look at just how far we've come.  Colin is correct that right now, our D is better than Bama's.  Stats may not bear it out for a full season, but over the last 3-4 games, our D has been ridiculous.

jackflash

I believe Bielema should get a lot more credit than he is. I think it starting by the staff changes he made, bring in Smith and Jennings

gmarv

theres something about confidence that when you have it you make the plays and when you don,t--------- well it sounded prophetic in my head but I,ll just say our d is playing like a bunch of bad men. ole maty boy will get his just reward from us on Friday.

gmarv

^^^^^^^^^^
dang I had a senior moment posted in the wrong thread.
anyhow matys going down.

secfan30

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 25, 2014, 01:13:58 pm
I see your point, but I believe anyone who was close enough to this program could have reasonably predicted those seasons.

Analysts from outside were certainly predicting less, but they really had no idea what the heck they were talking about.

But it's doubtful ANYONE could have predicted 11-1 for MSU, even their own fans.

You do make some good points and I could see it going to Mullens (sp) but at least CBB is getting some air play. That only helps us being mentioned on national radio

denver1

I dont think Dan has done anything out of the ordinary this year. Miss St is a senior laden team, in fact I cant think of a team that has more seniors, most of the starters have been playing together for 4 years. How did Dan do when the same players were freshmen and soph. thats what CBB has to work with for the most part.

HotlantaHog

If the Hogs make the same order of improvement next year, he will be the obvious winner next year...

Even so I am not a big fan of Coch of the Year awards. Nutt won it a couple times as I recall for doing better than expected ... Gene Chizik at Auburn may have won it (when Malzahn deserved the credit) ... In the end, I'd far rather see the team win any individual awards ... The coaches get ample recognition and monetary awards.

greasy_corner

Quote from: trphog on November 25, 2014, 12:56:56 pm

Just make sure you put Prescott's name on the trophy too and I'm OK with that.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: GolfnHog on November 25, 2014, 12:27:45 pm
short of another coach winning the NC game, I see no other Coach that has done more to earn, at minimum, the SEC Coach of the year.

Mullens done a pretty good job id say!

HogFanatic

Not to sound arrogant or anything, but those saying Dan Mullen deserves the SEC Coach of the Year award haven't been paying too much attention.

Several folks right here on this board were saying that Mississippi State was the team to beat in the SEC this year BEFORE the season started. Mississippi State was in the position this year that we hoped Arkansas would be at in year 3 or 4. They are the most veteran team in the league on both sides of the ball.

The reason Bielema is a serious contender for this award, IMO is that he has now proven in year 2 that he can field not only a competitive team, but a dominant one, in year 2.

HotlantaHog

That Mullen can field a Top 4 team at Mississippi State, a place with serious disadvantages as a place to draw talent (small state, not the most attractive location in the world, competes with 2 other in-state schools), reflects his ability to build a team and to win.

Razorfox

When CBB has his big run next year, like Mullen did this year, then we can expect him to win it.  I think the case can be made for CBB to be a finalist, just probably not to win. 

Paul

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 26, 2014, 09:27:01 am
That Mullen can field a Top 4 team at Mississippi State, a place with serious disadvantages as a place to draw talent (small state, not the most attractive location in the world, competes with 2 other in-state schools), reflects his ability to build a team and to win.
True!  It's the worst place to recruit to in the SEC...by far!

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

LRHawg

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on November 25, 2014, 01:11:09 pm
keeping my mouth shut until Friday Night. I've been burnt a couple times this year. I believe but if I remain quiet we win. Last 2 weeks I've haven't given any praise before game. Plus I've been eating fish before games last 2 weeks, that will continue as well.

I hear you, I have missed the first quarter of the last two games due to doing things around the house (4 month old) or driving back home. I will be absent until the second quarter again this week.