Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hawkeyes want Bielema back

Started by Mason, November 24, 2014, 08:08:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgzinbowlz

November 25, 2014, 02:01:02 pm #50 Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:40:30 pm by Hawgzinbowlz
There ain't no NFL or D-1 teams in Prophetstown.

He's still on the move and I hope he's here for a long, long time.

" GO HOGS "

HogCard

this is funny.  A month ago you would have been reading about coaches on the hot seat and he can't afford but one more lousy season, etc.  Now it's OMG he is going to leave, sure as heck, I just know it.

Sportster365

If Bielema left, would Long consider hiring Robb Smith as the HC?

carolinahogger

Quote from: Sportster365 on November 25, 2014, 03:26:00 pm

Just when I think you people couldn't get any farther ahead of yourselves, you post this.

Arkansas Fan

ArkieBrat

Quote from: Sportster365 on November 25, 2014, 03:26:00 pm

Oh, I don't think so.  I have it on good authority that Jon Gruden is on Long's "short list".    ;) ;D
My all time Razorback favs.....

1. 1969 Shootout (Longhorns 'n Hogs football)
2.  Great Alaska Shootout under Eddie Sutton
3.  Orange Bowl CLASSIC under the Great Lou
4.  Rollin w/Nolan AND the '94 NC
5.  Being able to see Nolan and Company at the Aloha Classic in Honolulu (Dec '94) & all of us breaking bread together at a luau, & watching Nolan do the hula after being called onstage. AWESOME!  It doesn't get any better than that.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 25, 2014, 09:41:03 am
Never underestimate the power and pull of home.........................
he's not from iowa.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ArkieBrat on November 25, 2014, 06:22:11 pm
Oh, I don't think so.  I have it on good authority that Jon Gruden is on Long's "short list".    ;) ;D
Gruden's on deck.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DLUXHOG on November 25, 2014, 11:22:01 am
Iowa was never CBB's "home" dammit!  He only went to college there.  His "home" is Illinois..

He nonetheless feels a strong tie to Iowa if anyone has paid any attention whatsoever. But he isn't going to go back to Iowa, that would be a significant step down from where he is in the SEC. Only way he ever winds up there is if he is looking for a final retirement gig. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

PorkSoda

Quote from: GuvHog on November 25, 2014, 09:21:30 am
But it IS his Alma Mater which makes a big difference. I've said all along that If Iowa offers Bret their HC job once he starts winning here at Arkansas, he'll take it IMHO. I still believe that but I sincerely hope I'm wrong about it.
doubt it.  I could see maybe in 5-6 if he peaks then goes down hill for a few years, but not anytime soon.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

gawntrail

Think about how much $$ you make.  Now, think about the amount it would take for you to move your family to parts unknown.  Convert the increase into a fraction......  For me, it's about 50%.

Now.  Think about people who willingly work in a transient profession.  Moving your family is now part of it...... So, how much more money would it take?  How much 'change of scenery' would it take for someone already comfortable with moving family.......?  That magical percentage is much smaller considering timing and opportunity(s).

Like any of the rest of us who work for a living, regardless of income level, we'll continue in a situation as long as the dollars make sense.  There is a point where even those that make 7 figures plus, decide that their current situation needs to be evaluated.

One only needs to look at the averages to figure out how long BB will hang out in Fville.  He may buck the numbers...... but, probably not.

I hope he stays long enough to realize his vision, and our expectations.  And, I hope we are not timid about showing him the door if he doesn't. 

PorcineSublime

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 25, 2014, 07:09:28 pm
doubt it.  I could see maybe in 5-6 if he peaks then goes down hill for a few years, but not anytime soon.
i agree. I doubt he bolts in the next 3-4 years unless things really go south. And for those who are arguing that "he is not from Iowa he is from Illinois". He was about as far from Iowa City as he currently is from Greenwood. An hour and one half drive. So I feel pretty confident that he grew up with the Hawkeyes in front of him. Since he chose to go there, I feel pretty confident he was a fan.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

RedRock

NLRHog92

Quote from: PorcineSublime on November 24, 2014, 09:04:22 pm
I hope he decides this is his dream destination. I do no think they are as delusional as we might think. If things are not peachy here, I can easily see him leaving for "home". I don't think it would be the next few years though. Unless things go really south, he will want to prove he can cut in the SEC.

The head coach at the U of A is a great job, no doubt. For BP, I think it was a dream setup too, but he shot himself in the foot. He might have been here for 10-15 years if he wasn't so erratic. I think CBB likes everything about where he is right now and is continuously looking for the future and giving us a chance to win it all some year. He's only 44 and it just seems he's happy here despite it not being B1G country, but can still have that back home feel while presenting new challenges. Hope he's here for a long time!  :razorback:

Inhogswetrust

November 25, 2014, 11:05:05 pm #64 Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:56:09 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: DLUXHOG on November 25, 2014, 11:22:01 am
Iowa was never CBB's "home" dammit!  He only went to college there.  His "home" is Illinois..

His college days were in Iowa thus the home reference as it relates to sports...............Guess what if your scenario is valid then Mike Anderson isn't home either.......yet we all believe it is home for him and he thinks so as well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RedRock on November 25, 2014, 09:42:37 pm
Where is Iowa?

I bet they say the same about Arkansas...................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

redeye

Quote from: wupigsuey on November 24, 2014, 08:18:26 pm
Wonder if that story about the Cyclones coach is true. Funny as hell if so

lol... it was great!

PonderinHog

atlrazorback

Is Iowa going to give the rest of his staff enough money to attract and maintain the best available?
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

EastexHawg

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 24, 2014, 08:51:16 pm
Once Bielema finds success in the SEC, why would he leave for the Big Ten? He knows the SEC is where it's at.

The only reason I can think of is what Bear Bryant said when he took the job at his alma mater, Alabama.  It was something like "when momma calls, you go home."