Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hard Count

Started by Corkscrew Johnson, November 24, 2014, 03:01:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Corkscrew Johnson

It seemed Ole Miss was jumping our snap count all game.  I would like to see A/BA do a few hard counts this week to mix things up. 

NEA_HogFan

ricepig

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 24, 2014, 03:01:25 pm
It seemed Ole Miss was jumping our snap count all game.  I would like to see A/BA do a few hard counts this week to mix things up. 

We've moved a time or two ourselves this year, but it is something to throw in from time to time.

hawgfan4life

How do you know they aren't already doing that?

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: NEA_HogFan on November 24, 2014, 04:20:38 pm
I'll let him know..

Do you know CBB??  That would be awesome because nobody likes seeing JWIII and Alex getting hit at the kneecaps milliseconds after getting the handoff.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: hawgfan4life on November 24, 2014, 04:32:20 pm
How do you know they aren't already doing that?

Well, I watched the game for starters.

Hairofthepig

I recorded the game and I've had a chance to review it several times.  Knowing the outcome I could concentrate specifically on the line of scrimmage.  Perhaps the snap count was not changed frequently enough. It usually is not.  However, the main issue was that Ole Miss had a D- line that was so much quicker than our O-line they basically shut our running game down.  Once the ball was snapped they had numerous linemen in the gaps either untouched or barely blocked. It was a function of sheer speed.  Additionally, they were extremely strong.  I saw Denver Kirkland get knocked 1 1/2 yards into the backfield by a guy that Kirkland probably outweighed by 40 lbs.  Yes that's right, Kirkland. This also happened to Cook multiple times. On the Ole Miss goal line stand they completely stuffed the heaviest line in football.  We were lucky for Alex Collins to get over the top. So, my take on this is (1) Ole Miss is good.  Really good. (2) Our line while large is not especially quick and can be counteracted by smaller guys who are faster and powerful.  Every team we play (thank God) will not have the talent that Ole Miss had.  On the other hand there is a lot of room for improvement on what we thought was the team strength.

ricepig

Quote from: Hairofthepig on November 24, 2014, 04:59:53 pm
I recorded the game and I've had a chance to review it several times.  Knowing the outcome I could concentrate specifically on the line of scrimmage.  Perhaps the snap count was not changed frequently enough. It usually is not.  However, the main issue was that Ole Miss had a D- line that was so much quicker than our O-line they basically shut our running game down.  Once the ball was snapped they had numerous linemen in the gaps either untouched or barely blocked. It was a function of sheer speed.  Additionally, they were extremely strong.  I saw Denver Kirkland get knocked 1 1/2 yards into the backfield by a guy that Kirkland probably outweighed by 40 lbs.  Yes that's right, Kirkland. This also happened to Cook multiple times. On the Ole Miss goal line stand they completely stuffed the heaviest line in football.  We were lucky for Alex Collins to get over the top. So, my take on this is (1) Ole Miss is good.  Really good. (2) Our line while large is not especially quick and can be counteracted by smaller guys who are faster and powerful.  Every team we play (thank God) will not have the talent that Ole Miss had.  On the other hand there is a lot of room for improvement on what we thought was the team strength.

The winner in goal line stand is the low man wins. The defensive guys will submarine the o-linemen in front of them, leaving the LBs and DBs to fill the over top stuff. On one play we were going to wham the guy they let through, but he blew it up too quick. The offset FB had no chance to block him.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on November 24, 2014, 03:01:25 pm

Absolutely correct.  They jumped the gaps anticipating the count.  We simply must do better at this football 101 technique by the QB.

Hasn't any of our QBs watch Payton Manning?