Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gary Danielson: on the game and dislike for the no huddle offense

Started by TDHawgs, November 24, 2014, 11:53:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on November 25, 2014, 11:31:17 am
The successful teams using the hunh and tempo in the sec the last 2 or three seasons, back to Auburn in 2010 actually, all had three common pieces: 1. A freak at Qb, either in size, speed, or both. 2. A talented and experienced OL. 3. At least 1 if not two tall, fast, physical WR's who could bail out said Qb freak when he threw balls up for grabs.

In other words, talent all over the place.

I kind of look at the HUNH like I do the wishbone.  Back in the day when Texas and OU were running it, they'd use their tremendous talent advantage and simply stomp the crap out of everyone who had less talent.

And the lesser talented teams, i.e. Air Force, Navy, Rice, would use it as a way to try to find a unique advantage vs. other teams that had more talent.

I've said all along on the HUNH that it's a defense killer, simply because your defense is constantly on the field, and that wears a defense down.

But I've also said there are places where they possess so much talent and depth on defense where you could probably get away with it.  Florida, Florida State, Alabama, OSU, any top tier team that always recruits extremely well.

And I thought Auburn would have been in that list, but this year seems to indicate they don't have the defensive talent and depth of talent to overcome what the HUNH has done to that side of the ball.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hogsanity

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 25, 2014, 12:19:20 pm
In other words, talent all over the place.

I kind of look at the HUNH like I do the wishbone.  Back in the day when Texas and OU were running it, they'd use their tremendous talent advantage and simply stomp the crap out of everyone who had less talent.

And the lesser talented teams, i.e. Air Force, Navy, Rice, would use it as a way to try to find a unique advantage vs. other teams that had more talent.

I've said all along on the HUNH that it's a defense killer, simply because your defense is constantly on the field, and that wears a defense down.

But I've also said there are places where they possess so much talent and depth on defense where you could probably get away with it.  Florida, Florida State, Alabama, OSU, any top tier team that always recruits extremely well.

And I thought Auburn would have been in that list, but this year seems to indicate they don't have the defensive talent and depth of talent to overcome what the HUNH has done to that side of the ball.

Auburn also has not had the OL play to run the ball effectively in a couple of their losses.

And it is only a defense killer if your own defense can get off the field.  Old misses has a very good D, but their offense, out of 14 possessions, had 7 that lasted 2 minutes or fewer, and their longest TOP was the last 3:50 of the game, when their sole goal was to just run out the clock. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on November 25, 2014, 12:33:09 pm
Auburn also has not had the OL play to run the ball effectively in a couple of their losses.

And it is only a defense killer if your own defense can get off the field.  Old misses has a very good D, but their offense, out of 14 possessions, had 7 that lasted 2 minutes or fewer, and their longest TOP was the last 3:50 of the game, when their sole goal was to just run out the clock. 

There it is.  That's a direct result of running the HUNH.

So many scoring drives are very short clock users, and then you have the frequent 3 and outs.  So when you do great or when you do bad, your defense finds itself right back on the field with a couple of minutes.

If you don't have amazing defensive depth, that will kill a defense. 

And it's not good football.  Yes, you score tons of points, but you also give up tons of points, and over the long haul you pay a price higher than any value gained by its' use.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hogsanity

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 25, 2014, 01:11:26 pm
There it is.  That's a direct result of running the HUNH.

So many scoring drives are very short clock users, and then you have the frequent 3 and outs.  So when you do great or when you do bad, your defense finds itself right back on the field with a couple of minutes.

If you don't have amazing defensive depth, that will kill a defense. 

And it's not good football.  Yes, you score tons of points, but you also give up tons of points, and over the long haul you pay a price higher than any value gained by its' use.

old misses would have beaten LSU 7-3 if they could have just used some clock. They had 12 possessions in that game, 7 lasted 2 minutes or less ( one was at the end when they got the ball with under 2 minutes ). They had one stretch late 3rd and early 4th where they had 4 possessions that used a total 5:52. Two of those were 3 and outs in under a minute.

LSu had a 9 min drive, and two drives of over 5 minutes. Amazingly though old misses still won the top.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dr. Starcs

Just heard Danielson on finebaum. Had some interesting things to say about us.

1. Didnt think our line was up to par with what CBB is wanting. Need a couple more recruiting classes to get there.
2. Thought BA was a serviceable qb but not a game changer when comparing us to miss state's strong finish last year and terrific year this year.
3. Thought our schedule next year is way tougher than miss states this year.
4. Need another good wr.

And finally, I guess he's been getting a lot of criticism. Said if he had to do our game with om over again, he'd give a lot more credit to our defense and CRS.