Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gary Danielson: on the game and dislike for the no huddle offense

Started by TDHawgs, November 24, 2014, 11:53:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TDHawgs

Good interview from SiriusXM First Team show this morning. Basically confirming that the no huddle fast tempo offense isn't the way to go. Confirming that Bielema is building it the right way!! WPS!!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
https://soundcloud.com/docroland/siriusxm-first-team-gary-11-24-14

bigdaddyhawg

I really like Danielson, and like him even more now!!

I find it so interesting that even the HUNH worshiping teams such as AU and TAMU, pick and choose when to run it these days.  Why is that?

If the HUNH gives such a huge advantage, then that advantage is applicable all the time, not just here and there.

It's a gimmick offense, and it's a way to get around your team not having either the horses or the coaching to line up and win.

Today, the biggest advantage of the HUNH is running up the score against weaker competition by teams such as Oregon, in an attempt to make them look better than they really are.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hogsanity

I like what he said. He did not discount the hunh and tempo as a tool, he simply said it cant be the entire tool box.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TDHawgs

It's great to see after all the Gus Lover's wanted to discredit Bielema, it's coming full circle now. Can't wait to play Gus next year..  ;D

smb

GeorgiaHOG

TDHawgs

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: TDHawgs on November 24, 2014, 12:26:17 pm
Can't wait to play Gus next year..  ;D

Be careful what you ask for friend.

They'll still have a team loaded with freaking talent everywhere, and they will be well-coached.

While I truly hate those cheating goat rapers at Auburn, I nonetheless have a lot of respect for that team and it's coaches.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hawg IQ

Quote from: TDHawgs on November 24, 2014, 11:53:34 am
Good interview from SiriusXM First Team show this morning. Basically confirming that the no huddle fast tempo offense isn't the way to go. Confirming that Bielema is building it the right way!! WPS!!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
https://soundcloud.com/docroland/siriusxm-first-team-gary-11-24-14

My, my how much difference a beatdown makes... Saturday it was the great Bo Wallace and just a score would get Ol Miss back into the game and maybe lead to a victory.
  Now all of a sudden Hogs doing it the right way, I see !?
go hogs go !

hogsanity

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 24, 2014, 01:00:58 pm
My, my how much difference a beatdown makes... Saturday it was the great Bo Wallace and just a score would get Ol Miss back into the game and maybe lead to a victory.

When it was 17-0 and om was driving on their 1st 3rd q drive, one td would have gotten old misses back in the game. That does not change that the uptempo spread requires a mobile qb, a decent run game, and good receivers. On Sat old misses had 1 of those three things.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 24, 2014, 01:00:58 pm

I think Danielson was on target there.  We had missed some opportunities to put the game away, and a good drive and a TD to make it 17-7 DOES change the entire complexion of the game.

Momentum is a huge deal in CFB.  Those two INT's locked it away, obviously.

hawg IQ

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 24, 2014, 01:10:57 pm
I think Danielson was on target there.  We had missed some opportunities to put the game away, and a good drive and a TD to make it 17-7 DOES change the entire complexion of the game.

Not the fact he wasn't right guys..it was he ranted on and on the whole game about Ol Miss, while Arkansas wasn't getting all that much praise , if any.
   I've talked to fan after fan about the obvious hyping ol miss got a little too far over the top.
  Considering the drubbing hogs gave them, one would think maybe a more non bias approach would have served danialson much better.
go hogs go !

wupigsuey

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 24, 2014, 01:20:44 pm
Not the fact he wasn't right guys..it was he ranted on and on the whole game about Ol Miss, while Arkansas wasn't getting all that much praise , if any.
   I've talked to fan after fan about the obvious hyping ol miss got a little too far over the top.
  Considering the drubbing hogs gave them, one would think maybe a more non bias approach would have served danialson much better.

Im with you. Im rewatching it now and it was bad then and seems worse now. Damn sure not gonna go out of my way to listen to him.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

opineonswine

WOW...what an interesting condemnation of that style.  He makes good points.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 24, 2014, 01:10:57 pm

The defense DID put the game away when THEY had the opportunity to do so. It doesn't always have to be the offense that "puts" the game away. That being said BOTH teams had opportunities missed on offense.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bigdaddyhawg

Two things:

1-Hog fans will, as a whole, be too sensitive to that kind of discussion about their opponent, and it will not seem balanced.

2-I believe producers constantly are pushing on air guys to push anything that will make the game seem more competitive that it is, in an effort to keep from losing viewers in a lopsided game.

Hogpkins

I haven't watched the broadcast yet but plan to. I will say that every commentator tries to keep viewers from turning the channel so they always talk about the possibility of a comeback. Happens every game.

wupigsuey

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 24, 2014, 01:33:04 pm
Two things:

1-Hog fans will, as a whole, be too sensitive to that kind of discussion about their opponent, and it will not seem balanced.

2-I believe producers constantly are pushing on air guys to push anything that will make the game seem more competitive that it is, in an effort to keep from losing viewers in a lopsided game.

I've wondered about your 2nd point there. I ve wondered if they talk up the higher ranked team. The higher ranked team normally win so the commentators look smart.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 24, 2014, 01:32:00 pm
The defense DID put the game away when THEY had the opportunity to do so. It doesn't always have to be the offense that "puts" the game away. That being said BOTH teams had opportunities missed on offense.

Sorry, but, no.

We missed a field goal and we missed getting a TD when JWill and Hunter couldn't connect on that pass from the wildcat.

He was right.  In the third quarter, before Rohan's INT and return, we absolutely had missed opportunities to put the game away, AND OM had made two nice, long drives against our defense, showing life for the first time.

If they score on either of those drives it would have definitely changed the game.  We probably would have still won, but it would certainly not been a lopsided blowout.

Still, as you pointed out, they didn't score on either of those, and Rohan made a great play that put the game away, but Danielson's point was valid.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hogpkins on November 24, 2014, 01:35:01 pm
I haven't watched the broadcast yet but plan to. I will say that every commentator tries to keep viewers from turning the channel so they always talk about the possibility of a comeback. Happens every game.

Yeah, sometimes you can kind of hear the commentators almost laughing at themselves pushing something they know is ridiculous.

gmarv

hawg IQ

Two things:

I agree with your points, especially the 2nd one.  Your first point fans being sensitive sometimes, maybe but it was in Fayetteville and playing to the home crowd should have been expected to some degree, At least in a non bias way I think.
  A lot of it comes down to who likes this guy, I don't and maybe I read more into him talking up the higher ranked team. Like sometimes in officiating, announcers alike ,a lot of hog fans are tired of the lack of respect.
go hogs go !

Oklahawg

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 24, 2014, 12:49:39 pm
cheating goat rapers at Auburn, I nonetheless have a lot of respect for that team and it's coaches.

Not sure I've met a goat raper - cheater or not - let alone discovered whether I have respect for them, or not.

You have given me something to ponder. :D :D
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawg IQ

Quote from: gmarv on November 24, 2014, 01:46:38 pm
danielsons a jerk.
Another note on this was at an earlier point in the game a picture of Beilema was showed and referenced in a way that implied he bore resemblances to razorback mascot and a comment was made "that he had been raised on a hog farm".
   I think a complete apology should be in order to BB by both announcers.
go hogs go !

Vantage 8 dude

Two things:

Sorry but I have to call you on this one bud. Throughout the game all we heard about was the vaunted "Landshark" defense and virtually NOTHING about our own "d". You can call me too "hypersensitive", however, as good as OM's defense has been they were still behind ALL game long and our own guys were shutting down Bo and his boys on the other side. In checking the scoreboard throughout the game I kept wondering if that wonderful OM defense was virtually "all world" then what did it make ours?

In the end though it didn't matter what the heck old Vern and Gary did or didn't say. It was obvious to the deaf, dumb and blind that OUR defense was the superior that day. The results of the game obviously show that's all that matters anyway.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 24, 2014, 01:58:19 pm
Another note on this was at an earlier point in the game a picture of Beilema was showed and referenced in a way that implied he bore resemblances to razorback mascot and a comment was made "that he had been raised on a hog farm".
Heard and noticed that too. However, that's just Gary being the jerk he can be. Nothing unusual there.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 24, 2014, 01:58:19 pm

Geesh. He was talking about the weather, then they showed BB, no hat, no rain hood on, rain dripping down his face, running off his headset, and they commented that this was Hog weather.  The sideline commentator talked about how the old misses players were wrapped up in their big coats, and Wallace was wearing everything he could find and standing right in front of the heater. Meanwhile the Hogs players were acting as if the weather was perfect.

Basically they were talking about how old misses was acting like a bunch of old women about the weather and the Hogs, including their coach, were just manning up and playing football.

Atlhogfan1

Some of you are way too sensitive.

Danielson has made this line of scrimmage point in games involving other teams this season. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 24, 2014, 02:13:14 pm
Some of you are way too sensitive.

Danielson has made this line of scrimmage point in games involving other teams this season. 

He also pointed out how many of the turnovers old misses had gotten were int's, then said it is hard to intercept passes when the other team does not have to throw the ball.

Arkansas only had three 3 and outs, out of 13 possessions, and one of those was the last time they had the ball when making a 1st down was about the last thing on their minds.

Om had 7 possessions lasting 3 of fewer plays, either due to a turnover or punt, out of 14 possessions. Half of their possessions were 3 plays or less.

hawg IQ

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2014, 02:09:50 pm
Geesh. He was talking about the weather, then they showed BB, no hat, no rain hood on, rain dripping down his face, running off his headset, and they commented that this was Hog weather.  The sideline commentator talked about how the old misses players were wrapped up in their big coats, and Wallace was wearing everything he could find and standing right in front of the heater. Meanwhile the Hogs players were acting as if the weather was perfect.

Basically they were talking about how old misses was acting like a bunch of old women about the weather and the Hogs, including their coach, were just manning up and playing football.
no offense, but are you his brother or something?
go hogs go !

Bubba's Bruisers

It's always good when your offense isn't built around the QB.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hogsanity

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 24, 2014, 02:19:18 pm

No, I am just sick of hog fans getting their snout out of joint over anything that they can even remotely turn into some PERCEIVED slight ( which hog fans can do with ANY comment ). It makes our fan base look like whiny little girls.

wupigsuey

wupigsuey

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 24, 2014, 02:19:18 pm

They weren't talking about the weather either

hawg IQ

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2014, 02:26:39 pm
No, I am just sick of hog fans getting their snout out of joint over anything that they can even remotely turn into some PERCEIVED slight ( which hog fans can do with ANY comment ). It makes our fan base look like whiny little girls.

Well when its comes to hog fans(whiny or not) I choose them over gary danielson fans, thanks just the same.
go hogs go !

Kevin

did he say mississippi was one score away from making it a game?

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 24, 2014, 02:30:23 pm
Well when its comes to hog fans(whiny or not) I choose them over gary danielson fans, thanks just the same.

I am not a Gary Danielson fan. The problem is it is EVERY commentator with Hog fans. Every commentator is always favoring the opponent, or downplaying the hogs somehow, according to Hog fans.

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on November 24, 2014, 02:33:16 pm

YEs, and he was right. When it was 17-0 in the 3rd Q, Hogs got the ball and had to punt, old misses came out and got two big plays pretty quick, and he said a TD would make it a game, and it would have been at 17-7.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Kevin on November 24, 2014, 02:33:16 pm

At 20-0 late in the 3rd, that comment was made as it appeared OM was about to go in for a TD.  Then the 100-yd pick 6 happened.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

wupigsuey

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

rickm1976

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2014, 02:35:20 pm
YEs, and he was right. When it was 17-0 in the 3rd Q, Hogs got the ball and had to punt, old misses came out and got two big plays pretty quick, and he said a TD would make it a game, and it would have been at 17-7.

It would have completely changed the situation, as it would between any two teams.

hogsanity

Quote from: rickm1976 on November 24, 2014, 03:13:36 pm
It would have completely changed the situation, as it would between any two teams.

which is why I cant figure out why people are taking exception to his having said it.

BallHog1

I'll second this.

Hoggish1

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 24, 2014, 12:13:19 pm

If the HUNH gives such a huge advantage, then that advantage is applicable all the time, not just here and there.

Because teams that run it against good ball control teams are finding that running tires out there own D.

Let those high flying HUNH teams that play against each other knowck themselves out running up and down the field.

It doesn't work when they play and old school team, especially one with a good D.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 24, 2014, 05:16:57 pm
Because teams that run it against good ball control teams are finding that running tires out there own D.

Let those high flying HUNH teams that play against each other knowck themselves out running up and down the field.

It doesn't work when they play and old school team, especially one with a good D.

EXACTLY!

I could be wrong on this, but it looks like the HUNH teams in the SEC are falling off as the season wears on, especially AU and TAMU.

To me it's just common sense to understand the pressure that continues to put on your defense, game after game, for a whole season.  And in the SEC there is a price to be paid for that.

hawg IQ

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2014, 02:34:25 pm
I am not a Gary Danielson fan. The problem is it is EVERY commentator with Hog fans. Every commentator is always favoring the opponent, or downplaying the hogs somehow, according to Hog fans.
Thinking the days of ron franklin type announcers are really gone forever.
  I know you and few others might enjoy the analyzing of someone like Danielson which you got your points in. I really don't think all hog fans are like myself either as well as a few others. But by and large a lot of folks were saying as much or at least the one I've talk to and they felt much the same.

We've heard how Arkansas had their chances in games we've lost and rightfully so. I just don't think we had a guy in our corner that defended us like he did ol miss.  But that's okay, long last hogs prevailed against two ranked teams and won the games.

Its just an opinion board where folks go and state as much. Its nothing else !
gary danielsons will come and go and as long as hogs keep winning who cares.
go hogs go !

ballz2thewall

i'll opine on the hijacked portion of this thread.

i thought danielson called the game just fine.
The rest of the frog.

HogbyBirth

I'm glad someone else noticed Gary'sobvious love for ole miss over Arkansas. I was sick of it by the third quarter. It took 3.5 quarters for him to start giving the Hogs a little credit for ole miss' bad play.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ballz2thewall on November 24, 2014, 08:02:43 pm
i'll opine on the hijacked portion of this thread.

i thought danielson called the game just fine.

Yes.  IMO Danielson is one of the best commentators in CFB.  After all, he has been given the stone around his neck (Verne) to work with, and still does a great job.

There's no doubt his continued comments re: OM in that third quarter was driven by the producers to continue to prop up the game in an attempt to keep viewers watching.

hogsanity

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 24, 2014, 05:35:24 pm
EXACTLY!

I could be wrong on this, but it looks like the HUNH teams in the SEC are falling off as the season wears on, especially AU and TAMU.

To me it's just common sense to understand the pressure that continues to put on your defense, game after game, for a whole season.  And in the SEC there is a price to be paid for that.

The successful teams using the hunh and tempo in the sec the last 2 or three seasons, back to Auburn in 2010 actually, all had three common pieces: 1. A freak at Qb, either in size, speed, or both. 2. A talented and experienced OL. 3. At least 1 if not two tall, fast, physical WR's who could bail out said Qb freak when he threw balls up for grabs.