Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

if we have to go with AA this week

Started by tampahog, November 24, 2014, 07:04:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tampahog

We know he has a good arm and was highly recruited.  I just wish we could have gotten him more pass attempts and experience in mop up duty so far this year.  He only has 16 attempts on the year yet we had comfortable cushions in 3 games that we won by an average of 44 points (most of that against Nicholls state obviously)

The_Iceman

From what I saw Saturday, I'm not sure how good of an arm Austin has. He certainly doesn't have the velocity and zip on his throws Brandon does.

PIGZSNOUT

Wet ball and coming off the bench mid-game has alot to do with velocity. In the spring game he had plenty of "zip". A full week of working with the 1's and more play selection will bode well for his confidence.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 24, 2014, 07:11:47 am
From what I saw Saturday, I'm not sure how good of an arm Austin has. He certainly doesn't have the velocity and zip on his throws Brandon does.

This.

trashcan maN

The routes I saw him throw didnt need zip, they needed touch. He threw nice, catchable balls that the D never got close to touching.

hoghiker

I hope BA plays. Winning on the road with a backup QB is tuff.

havok

If AA is starting.. I suspect the O-Staff will get creative with the running game..to help relieve pressure, since Missouri is assured to notice a freshman QB, and to study film of Ole Miss, Georgia to see what they did to help dull our power running attack.

Also be prepared to see an different option on that passing play we ran successfully a couple times.. (Hatcher in motion as if to crack down block, and runs a mid-range crossing pattern).  I have a feeling the coaches are gonna use that to set up a home run play..making Missouri think they know what is coming.

The real Hogules

Although we haven't gotten to see it yet, AA has the stronger arm.
BA looks more polished, which is what we should have expected considering he's had the bulk of practice time with the starters and AA has only played a handful of live game snaps.
I have total faith that if AA gets a lot of reps with the starters this week in practice and does start that he will be up to the challenge.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hogsanity

Many look at the pass he threw Hatcher and think he does not have a strong arm.  That pass had to be somewhat lofted as there were two defenders in the area. If he throws it on a line, it likely gets knocked down, of not picked. The wet ball caused the flutter. He had plenty of zip on the out route to HH and the cross to Morgan.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

smb

I it all depends on practice and if needed in the game on how much AA will be asked to do. His performance Saturday afternoon was good with no major mistakes. That's all you can ask a backup quarterback to do. It would have been nice to see him more of him for a series in other ball games but i'm only a fan not the coach. So I just hope if called upon to keep his composure and manage the game like he has been coached. Go hogs beat Missouri!!!!!!
GeorgiaHOG

Cinco de Hogo

BA has consistently missed high and or wide on the out routes and the ones I remember AA throwing was right on the money.  I think we will be fine with either but I can see being more comfortable with the guy with the most experience.

I still can't attach the "game winner" tag to BA so I'm not convinced that in a tight game in the last few minutes that it would make a lot of difference.

lahawg1

Give AA a week of solid practice with the 1's, a dry field, and I don't think we will see a difference. Both are good ball players and with our running game we should be fine for this weekend.

secfan30

Quote from: trashcan maN on November 24, 2014, 07:44:09 am
The routes I saw him throw didnt need zip, they needed touch. He threw nice, catchable balls that the D never got close to touching.

I saw this too. Which is what a QB needs to do.

Moe wins

I have not got to watch AA that much, but he looks and sounds like a QB. Trey biddy said that Brandon has a considerably stronger arm.

The_Iceman

The ball just looked different coming out of Austin's hand compared to Brandon's. It may be confidence and experience, but I'm not sure Austin could have made that first TD throw to Hatcher. Brandon had some serious zip on that one.

I'll feel much more confident about Friday if Brandon is our QB. Especially against Mizzou's pass rush, because Brandon is much more mobile right now than Austin.

smb

The one thing about coach BB is he dosen't make excuses. He said in his post game press conference if Brandon can't go then it would be Austin. You got to like Coach BB right now.
GeorgiaHOG

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 24, 2014, 08:43:08 am
BA has consistently missed high and or wide on the out routes and the ones I remember AA throwing was right on the money. 

Right.  I could care less how the pass looks.  I just want it to get into our receiver's arms, with him in stride, heading toward the other team's goal line.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hoghiker

So the consensus opinion is that BA doesn't play Friday? I hope this isn't true and he's 99.9% ready to play.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 24, 2014, 08:59:07 am
The ball just looked different coming out of Austin's hand compared to Brandon's. It may be confidence and experience, but I'm not sure Austin could have made that first TD throw to Hatcher. Brandon had some serious zip on that one.

I'll feel much more confident about Friday if Brandon is our QB. Especially against Mizzou's pass rush, because Brandon is much more mobile right now than Austin.

IMO if we are living and dying by our passing game vs. Mizzou, we're going to be in serious trouble, no matter who our QB is.

Based on the games I've watched Mizzou play, we shouldn't have to get into that position though.  If we can't run it on them consistently, I'm going to be absolutely shocked.

Then the play action will work for either BA or AA.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hoghiker on November 24, 2014, 09:39:59 am
So the consensus opinion is that BA doesn't play Friday? I hope this isn't true and he's 99.9% ready to play.

I didn't read anything like that in this thread.  Has it been announced and I missed it?  I think the only discussion is what would happen IF BA couldn't go.

Been10Hog

Wouldn't it be nice to run the ball down their throat and let HV have a whole year to debate this?

Sportster365

Quote from: trashcan maN on November 24, 2014, 07:44:09 am

This is what I think hurts BA the most. Most of all his throws are fast balls and if they are thrown with the least bit of inaccuracy it could make for a very difficult catch.  The lack of touch on the ball is the reason I believe a lot of his 15 yd out passes sails high and wide on him.

GolfnHog

I thought AA played a solid game. The only play that I thought he could have done better on was the sack he took  though the series still resulted in a FG. I was hoping he would have put it about 15 yards out of bounds rather than take that sack but the loss didn't adversely affect the next play.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

PennHOG

If we have to go with AA this week....

That means we are alcoholics. 

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Sportster365

Quote from: PIGZSNOUT on November 24, 2014, 07:16:44 am
Wet ball and coming off the bench mid-game has alot to do with velocity. In the spring game he had plenty of "zip". A full week of working with the 1's and more play selection will bode well for his confidence.

Exactly. Although I maybe somewhat bias, I've thought that AA has been the best QB on the Arkansas roster since his freshman year. I had watched video on every Hog QB on our roster over the past two seasons and AA simply looked the best imo.

He's got a strong arm, accurate, good pocket awareness, an ability to be elusive, with really good foot work. Most importantly he makes good decisions under pressure.

I will say that if BA can consistently play the way he played in the LSU game, then I don't see anyone taking his spot nor should they.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 24, 2014, 09:45:19 am
I didn't read anything like that in this thread.  Has it been announced and I missed it?  I think the only discussion is what would happen IF BA couldn't go.

I don't think CBB will announce either way.. he'll keep Missery guessing... I hope he is healthy and plays, imo, it's our best chance to win... they will fired up regardless, but a new QB leaves lot's of opportunities for misstakes, and they will definitely be coming after him.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Sportster365 on November 24, 2014, 10:19:40 am
Exactly. Although I maybe somewhat bias, I've thought that AA has been the best QB on the Arkansas roster since his freshman year. I had watched video on every Hog QB on our roster over the past two seasons and AA simply looked the best imo.

He's got a strong arm, accurate, good pocket awareness, an ability to be elusive, with really good foot work. Most importantly he makes good decisions under pressure.

I will say that if BA can consistently play the way he played in the LSU game, then I don't see anyone taking his spot nor should they.

I just wonder why the coaches can't see what you see?  The best QB is always the back-up.. ::)

Sportster365

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 24, 2014, 10:25:04 am
I just wonder why the coaches can't see what you see?  The best QB is always the back-up.. ::)

Some folks just have a natural eye for talent. And Domnicanhog, you just gotta know what to look for.

Oklahawg

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2014, 08:32:45 am
Many look at the pass he threw Hatcher and think he does not have a strong arm.  That pass had to be somewhat lofted as there were two defenders in the area. If he throws it on a line, it likely gets knocked down, of not picked. The wet ball caused the flutter. He had plenty of zip on the out route to HH and the cross to Morgan.

Great post.

The ball was heavy, wet, slick and a bit cold. Tough to throw that like you threw in August drills.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 24, 2014, 09:46:51 am
Wouldn't it be better if we weren't living and dying by either?

Haha, good point.

But I don't mind LIVING by the run in any game, especially vs. Mizzou.

demonHOG1013

If AA plays look for Mizzou to force us to throw the ball. Loading up the box and playing man coverage with no safety help early until we show that AA can consistently throw the ball.  We could hit a big play or two early throwing the ball, opening up the run game and with the way our def is playing it may be over early.

Dan42AR

I thought Austin Allen did everything he was asked to. Until last Saturday I was not impressed in the least with what he had done in mop up duty. While I still was not impressed the only real mistake I thought he made was taking the sack and considering what I thought of him in other games I am not so worried if Brandon goes down and is unable to return.

No matter the QB, I believe the backup should have played a bunch in our non-conference games and actually PLAYED, not simply handed off and cleaned up the game.  AA has no real game experience this season, except against OM last week.  Being that our QB needs only to drive the bus, either QB should do the job.

I pray I don't hear this after the MO game.  We had to play Brandon even though he was only 30 percent but no one else was even up to that level.  But Brandon is a real warrior, tough, mentally strong and great at 30 percent.

In high school I thought AA had the stronger arm.  That could have changed with the additional time that BA has had in college of course.

trashcan maN

Just a heads up: A couple of guys on Rivals board who always bring great info say not to hold your breath for Brandon or A.J. this weekend. Austin will be getting the reps this week in practice.

Take it FWIW, but I'm expecting to see more Austin Allen, Jeremy Sprinkle, and Alex Voelzke this weekend. Wouldn't pass it along if it didn't come from reputable posters.

The_Iceman

Quote from: trashcan maN on November 24, 2014, 11:20:05 am
Just a heads up: A couple of guys on Rivals board who always bring great info say not to hold your breath for Brandon or A.J. this weekend. Austin will be getting the reps this week in practice.

Take it FWIW, but I'm expecting to see more Austin Allen, Jeremy Sprinkle, and Alex Voelzke this weekend. Wouldn't pass it along if it didn't come from reputable posters.

Bo Mattingly hinted at the same thing last night on Razorback Nation. I think this may be an injury they will just have to see how it progresses.

razorbackfanatic

AA said in the spring that BA has a stronger arm in an interview when they were talking to him about how much BA has improved since getting healthy. That doesn't mean AA doesn't have a strong arm or can't make all the throws just that BA's is stronger. Joe Montana didn't have a cannon either, worked out for him. In college I'll take an accurate arm with good velocity over a sporadic one with elite velocity! Andy Dalton vs JaMarcus Russell.

The_Iceman

Robbie Neiswanger ‏@NWARobbie

Arkansas has Brandon Allen listed No. 1 on the QB depth chart for the Missouri game. We'll hear more from Bret Bielema in about 30 minutes.

Kevin

should we take the redshirt off rafe.

i am kidding!!!!
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Ex-Trumpet

I didn't see a huge drop-off from BA to AA...

And, with Mizzou's run-defense, we shouldn't need a huge passing day from either qb--just enough to keep them honest.  BA or AA is more than capable with the weapons we have.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

razorfrog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 24, 2014, 11:47:29 am
I didn't see a huge drop-off from BA to AA...

And, with Mizzou's run-defense, we shouldn't need a huge passing day from either qb--just enough to keep them honest.  BA or AA is more than capable with the weapons we have.
Your just not watching close enough.  There is a HUGE dropoff

hogsanity

Here is a question, IF BA is out Fri, who is 2nd string? At this point, it would be beyond a waste to have to take Rp's redshirt off for one Reg season game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PonderinHog

Quote from: Kevin on November 24, 2014, 11:34:37 am
should we take the redshirt off rafe.

i am kidding!!!!
I know you're kidding, but if AA starts, who is the backup?

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 24, 2014, 11:52:37 am
I know you're kidding, but if AA starts, who is the backup?

JWill, AC, or Duwop

The Hogfather

reddogjcss

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 24, 2014, 07:11:47 am

At least he didn't leave the ball behind when he tried to throw it like the OM backup. Slow and steady wins the race.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hog N Bama

hogsanity