Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What did Indiana and Georgia do that Arkansas has to? Indiana especially.

Started by ZERO, November 24, 2014, 04:22:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ZERO

I'll admit, I have a healthy amount of worry about this game. We're swelling up and becoming super prideful after these last two victories (which we do deserve a little bit), but Missouri is a ranked team that's 9-2, playing us at home. What did Georgia do well that we need to replicate? Were/are any Mizzou players out? How's their defense and offense looking? What are the strengths and weaknesses?

Here is what encourages me: Both losses were at home. They had NO BUSINESS losing to an Indiana team that's going to finish 3-9/4-8 in the B1G, and they had NO business losing to Georgia that badly at home. 0-34 is pretty freakin' unreal. A 3-9/4-8 Vanderbilt team only lost by 10 points @Mizzou, and the same goes for a 5-7/6-6 Kentucky squad. Then they squeak by a 6-6/7-5 South Carolina team by one point away, and won @ 5-7/6-6 Tennessee by a single touchdown. They looked very strong against Texas A&M and Florida.

They really haven't been very dominant in league play, and for some reason have played every conference game very poorly at home.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ZERO on November 24, 2014, 04:22:50 am
I'll admit, I have a healthy amount of worry about this game. We're swelling up and becoming super prideful after these last two victories (which we do deserve a little bit), but Missouri is a ranked team that's 9-2, playing us at home. What did Georgia do well that we need to replicate? Were/are any Mizzou players out? How's their defense and offense looking? What are the strengths and weaknesses?

Here is what encourages me: Both losses were at home. They had NO BUSINESS losing to an Indiana team that's going to finish 3-9/4-8 in the B1G, and they had NO business losing to Georgia that badly at home. 0-34 is pretty freakin' unreal. A 3-9/4-8 Vanderbilt team only lost by 10 points @Mizzou, and the same goes for a 5-7/6-6 Kentucky squad. Then they squeak by a 6-6/7-5 South Carolina team by one point away, and won @ 5-7/6-6 Tennessee by a single touchdown. They looked very strong against Texas A&M and Florida.

They really haven't been very dominant in league play, and for some reason have played every conference game very poorly at home.

Which players have you seen this in? Or were you speaking of the coaches?  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ZERO

Yeah, I get it. Good point. I'm really worried about fans coming down with Texas A&M syndrome - running their mouths after a bit of success and then getting embarrassed. Nonetheless, the more basic research I do about Missouri and their season, the more confident I become. I'd still feel more comfortable if one of the X's and O's guys can come in and give me some concrete football facts. I can't ever overcome the butterflies when we're talking about an SEC road game.

People are always talking about catching a team "depleted". Well, we certainly fit that bill this week. Two astounding and emotional victories over tough opponents. Are we about to run out of gas or are we really secretly that damn good? Missouri hasn't looked dominant very much all year. In fact, we shut out the #8 team 30-0 last week. Missouri doesn't even have a 30 point victory this year (we have four) against even their weakest competition. Indiana, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt all at home were chances to make incredible statements against teams that are likely not going to see a Bowl (Indiana won't for sure. Do we really think Kentucky is going to beat Louisville @Louisville, or that Vanderbilt is going to overcome Tennessee?) and they looked just horrible in all of those games.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

ZERO

shotgun7

Run run run the ball. Even if only getting a few yards per carry, soon will break their D line and it will be on like Donkey Kong.  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ZERO on November 24, 2014, 04:42:18 am
Yeah, I get it. Good point. I'm really worried about fans coming down with Texas A&M syndrome - running their mouths after a bit of success and then getting embarrassed. Nonetheless, the more basic research I do about Missouri and their season, the more confident I become. I'd still feel more comfortable if one of the X's and O's guys can come in and give me some concrete football facts. I can't ever overcome the butterflies when we're talking about an SEC road game.

People are always talking about catching a team "depleted". Well, we certainly fit that bill this week. Two astounding and emotional victories over tough opponents. Are we about to run out of gas or are we really secretly that damn good? Missouri hasn't looked dominant very much all year. In fact, we shut out the #8 team 30-0 last week. Missouri doesn't even have a 30 point victory this year (we have four) against even their weakest competition. Indiana, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt all at home were chances to make incredible statements against teams that are likely not going to see a Bowl (Indiana won't for sure. Do we really think Kentucky is going to beat Louisville @Louisville, or that Vanderbilt is going to overcome Tennessee?) and they looked just horrible in all of those games.

I will admit I have had fleeting moments of these same thoughts - "Will they be emotionally ready to play?"

Here is what I hang my hat on. Each and every game we have improved - even with the losses piling up. Even with the losses piling up they kept pounding on the opponents until the victories started.

If the loses didn't cause them to lose focus I believe the wins will not either.

Now it would be great for one of our Xs and Os guys to show us how we win on Friday.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: shotgun7 on November 24, 2014, 04:46:17 am
Run run run the ball. Even if only getting a few yards per carry, soon will break their D line and it will be on like Donkey Kong.  :razorback:

Does AC or JW run the Donkey Kong option?  ;)

Hog N Bama

I believe GA caused numerous turnovers in that game at Columbia and of course RAN THE BALL. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

MuskogeeHogFan

Vs. Georgia

T/O's:  Georgia-0 Fumb/0 INT   Mizzou-1 Fumb/4 int
Rushing:          210                             50
Passing:          169                             97
3rd Dwn:        12/21                           0/7
4th Dwn:         2/2                             0/0
TOP:              42:23                         17:11

Vs. Indiana

T/O's:  Indiana-0 Rush/0 Pass     Mizzou-0 Fumb/1 INT
Rushing:          241                            172
Passing:          252                            331
3rd Dwn:         1/14                           5/16
4th Dwn:         2/2                             2/2
TOP:              26:33                         32:55   
Go Hogs Go!

lahawg1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 24, 2014, 06:18:49 am
Vs. Georgia

Rushing:          210                            50
3rd Dwn:        12/21                          0/7
TOP:              42:23                        17:11

Those are the defensive stats I'm hoping for on Friday. If our D puts those numbers up we will win.

The real Hogules

Quote from: ZERO on November 24, 2014, 04:42:18 am

While I did see some players get excited after some big plays, I see that in a LOT of football games.
What I saw was a team TCOB and I fully expect them to give Missouri more than they can handle.
As a side note I use to worry about road games, but after seeing how well we played in Starkville, MS 3 weeks ago with all those damn cowbells ringing I'm not even concerned with a let down, due to it being an away game.
We gonna beat us some Tigers and break some Missouri fans hearts!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

DeltaBoy

Keep doing what we have done the past 2 weeks and the Zoo goes down.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jdelo77

They are weak in the middle , this isn't LSU or Ole Miss , we can control the LOS and win this game handily ...

HOGINTENNESSEE

UGA got a lot of pressure on Their Qb and he threw a lot of INTs. He has played better since.

Mizz is a lot more balance spread team and Maulk can extend plays. I am not expecting a shutout.

I believe we should be able to run the ball alot better. However, We Can't get down early. Also, Mizz has been great in close games. If given the opportunity we have to put them away.

Ragnar Hogbrok

I don't worry about our boys and emotion. If they were weak willed or emotionally unstable, we would not have blanked LSU and Ole Miss in successive weeks.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Hoggish1

The Zoo has speed on the edges, like OldPiss.  Same game plan as last week for this game.  Keep it simple hit the holes fast (we were too slow to the hole for many of our rushes last week) and don't get fancy.  Control the ball and keep their O off the field.

D put pressure with down four and tackle well, like we've done recently and we win.

ThisTeetsTaken

Vs. Georgia

Vs. Indiana

How in the world did IU win that game going 1/14 on 3rd down?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Huckleberry Pig

This game has me worried.  There can tend to be a little let down after two big/emotional wins and becoming bowl eligible.  Throw that in with going on the road with one less day to prepare.. It will be a tough game.

They also have a great D-Line that could really cause us some problems.  Hopefully BA will be able to go, we will need his experience in this one.

LRHawg

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on November 24, 2014, 10:16:05 am

I didn't watch the game, but looking at the rushing and passing numbers, my guess is they got it done on first and second down enough to where they were in few 3rd down situations.

Thepigdoctor

Indiana has a great running back in Coleman, we just happen to have two great ones. We run it down their throat and win. Our defense is far superior to IU's, but Mizzou will be way more ready for this game with what they have at stake.

We continue to run, throw the ball when we want, but no more than 20-25 times, and continue to play defense like we have, and this is a win. I've said this was a win for over a month now and still believe it will be. Have to continue to win the turnover battle and play smart football. The losses to TAMU, Bama, and Miss St were all a result of costly penalties, careless turnovers, and a team that didn't know how to win. We know now...

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: LRHawg on November 24, 2014, 10:25:54 am
I didn't watch the game, but looking at the rushing and passing numbers, my guess is they got it done on first and second down enough to where they were in few 3rd down situations.
They faced 14 3rd downs
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

jgphillips3

These seniors want 8 wins and to say they restored the pride.  We don't need to fear anyone.  They need to fear us.  We smashed Bama and MSU in the mouth with defense and could have/should have won.  We blanked LSU and Ole Miss in dominating fashion.  We are not unbeatable but we are on a mission.  Mizzou will have its hands full this week.

Pudgepork

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 24, 2014, 10:36:59 am
These seniors want 8 wins and to say they restored the pride.  We don't need to fear anyone.  They need to fear us.  We smashed Bama and MSU in the mouth with defense and could have/should have won.  We blanked LSU and Ole Miss in dominating fashion.  We are not unbeatable but we are on a mission.  Mizzou will have its hands full this week.

I feel the same as said here.   Mizzou has more to lose from this game than the Hogs.
I think if either team would be tight it'd be mizzou.  It's possible that mizzou is one of those teams that drive a fan crazy because they play to the level of competition.  Looking at their record it seems to be the case with the close wins they have.

This Hog defense is playing better than any of us could have hoped/expected.  The whole time petrino was here we kept lamenting, oh, if the defense was nearly as good as the offense.   At this point, the Hogs have flipped.  If only the offense was clicking as well as the defense has for all except a few plays this season.  This Hog team can play lights out and relax and have fun.  They aren't going to get a Sugar Bowl or Cotton Bowl bid if they win. 

We as fans can relax and enjoy seeing a much better team, and build expectations of a championship on next years team.  At this point we know, it should be another game against a ranked opponent that the Hogs can win and the Hogs are going bowling.

Jim Harris

Vs. Georgia

Vs. Indiana

what's really amazing is Indiana converted just one of 14 third downs and still won. Missouri must have played horribly.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Corkscrew Johnson

Fayettechill14

Against Power 5 teams, Mizzou is 6-0 when holding opponents to 135 rush yards or fewer, and 0-2 when allowing more. Pretty simple.

I'm working on a Mizzou preview for Arkansas Fight and I'll post a link on here when it finishes. Hopefully I'll dig up some good stuff.

regi

Looks like IU game was just a game where who has the least hurtful mistakes wins. Because both teams went up and down the field. UGA game was just a beat down, the UGA 4 and 5 stars played up to it and the Mizzou 2 and 3 Stars played like 2 and 3 stars. They were out classed. To me, Pinkell should be winning SEC coach of the year for the 2nd straight year. The guy wins with very little future NFL talent on his team. Also doesn't hurt to be in the worst SEC East ever.

Pig in the Pokey

looks like the anomoly was the road win at aggy.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on November 24, 2014, 02:58:48 pm
Against Power 5 teams, Mizzou is 6-0 when holding opponents to 135 rush yards or fewer, and 0-2 when allowing more. Pretty simple.

I'm working on a Mizzou preview for Arkansas Fight and I'll post a link on here when it finishes. Hopefully I'll dig up some good stuff.
if they get ahead and pin their ears back, they are dangerous. being ahead also allows a wide open playbook. Whoever controls the lines and protects the ball wins. Those are our mantras.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on November 24, 2014, 10:16:05 am
2/2 on 4th and the pick was a 14 point swing. Gutsy win by IU.
@Slackaveli

regi

Also, we played UGA a week after a physical brawl for 4 quarters with the best and biggest team in America, Bama. 51, 15, 48, all out for the UGA a game and tons of other guys beat up,

HF#1

Get pressure on Mauk.  Rattle him like we did Wallace.  Force some turnovers, run the ball down their throats. 

I love this matchup for us.  I think it could be another dominating defensive performance.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: regi on November 24, 2014, 05:44:45 pm
Also, we played UGA a week after a physical brawl for 4 quarters with the best and biggest team in America, Bama. 51, 15, 48, all out for the UGA a game and tons of other guys beat up,
good thing mizzou won't have a game next week.  ;)
@Slackaveli

regi

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 24, 2014, 05:46:56 pm
good thing mizzou won't have a game next week.  ;)

True, Neither OleMiss or Mizzou has a physical offense, so really would not matter. Ole Miss has a very physical defense though, which is hard to do with that p**** a"" offense they have

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: regi on November 24, 2014, 05:49:41 pm
Neither OleMiss or Mizzou has a physical offense, so really would not matter. Ole Miss has a very physical defense though, which is hard to do with that p**** a"" offense they have
true. i thought the landsharks lived up to the hype. Our D is the same except it gets support from our O.
@Slackaveli

ZERO

I was skimming the Missouri board (tigerboard.com) and they seem to think they have one of the best d-lines in the country. I'm not sure what the fans also perceive as strengths, but I know they're unimpressed with their WR play, and their QB play is up-and-down (much like Ole Miss).

mizzou waltz

Quote from: ZERO on November 24, 2014, 06:08:27 pm
I was skimming the Missouri board (tigerboard.com) and they seem to think they have one of the best d-lines in the country. I'm not sure what the fans also perceive as strengths, but I know they're unimpressed with their WR play, and their QB play is up-and-down (much like Ole Miss).

We do have one of the best (if not the best) D lines in the country.

regi

Quote from: mizzou waltz on November 24, 2014, 06:15:57 pm

Not really, but is effective against spread teams, which everybody, but UGA, is in the EAST. So not really a bad plan by Pinkel.

mizzou waltz

Quote from: regi on November 24, 2014, 06:19:38 pm
Not really, but is effective against spread teams, which everybody, but UGA, is in the EAST. So not really a bad plan by Pinkel.

Yes, really.

ZERO

I wasn't actually disputing that, as I don't know and haven't really watched your team this year. I was just saying that the Mizzou fans are hanging their hats on the d-line over all else. How do YOU feel about your team?

IBleedRazorbackRed

Rushing the passer, sure. Stopping the run, clearly not.

JIHawg

mizzou waltz

Quote from: ZERO on November 24, 2014, 06:32:03 pm
I wasn't actually disputing that, as I don't know and haven't really watched your team this year. I was just saying that the Mizzou fans are hanging their hats on the d-line over all else. How do YOU feel about your team?

This is our best defense in the 25+ years I've been a fan. Problems with QB and injuries on Oline (one reason for IU game) have been addressed and adjustments made. Thankfully. Mauk still underthrows, but he's better in the pocket and not making the dumb decisions he made earlier in the year. We have weaknesses, such as our kicker (though he's solid on kickoffs) and our wideouts aren't as talented as last year, but they're all healthy right now and their timing (and Mauk's) is better. Our strengths are our D line, pass rush, and our DEs; field position from punter, our returners, and our running game. Mauk is better on deep ball than short stuff, but he's improved.

mizzou waltz

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on November 24, 2014, 06:39:39 pm
Rushing the passer, sure. Stopping the run, clearly not.

The last 4 games against SEC opponents we have played an average of the #32 rushing team in the nation which equates to gaining an average of 205 yards rushing per game. During that time we have allowed an average of 108.5 yards rushing per game. Say what you want, but this defense is improving quickly and performing at a high level.
Go Hogs Go!

tigerinhogtown

our front 4 - possibly 2 1st round draft choices and 2 more that will likely play some on sunday

We have held teams over 30% below their season ave yds/rush (3.1yds/rush against MU, vs 4.6 yds/rush season ave) and 20% under their season total yds/game.  We held UGA to 3.6 yds/rush and 210 yds, they did not run all over us - they had control for 43 min of the game. 

tigerinhogtown

Were/are any Mizzou players out? How's their defense and offense looking?

Golden (one of our DEs) was out for IN and at about 75% for GA, was just pronounces fully healed (hammy) prior to the aTm game. 

Our MLB is a soph and was learning the ropes against the run in those 2 games (way outa position on several long gains), that has been corrected, he will be an all conf performer some day.

As you know we grad 2 WR and kicked 2 more off the team (just kicked a 3rd one off today), very thin at WR - White (our biggest deep threat) went down in the USCe game and didn't return till the aTm game, MM looked MUCH more comfortable with him back in the lineup

Mauk - I believe he learned that he can rely on the defense to get him opportunities, his decision making has much improved, more of a game manager, his 52% completion rate reflects the fact that he doesn't force things more so than poor accuracy issues (although, that can be an isue on short passes).  Saw an interesting stat on him today - over 7% of his passes are completed for TDs, that a higher % than Smith, Gabbert, or Daniel, best in MIZZOU history.  BUT, he does still have a little gun slinger in him and can make some pour reads and ill-advised throws.

Looking  forward to a agreat game.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tigerinhogtown on November 24, 2014, 07:29:52 pm
our front 4 - possibly 2 1st round draft choices and 2 more that will likely play some on sunday

We have held teams over 30% below their season ave yds/rush (3.1yds/rush against MU, vs 4.6 yds/rush season ave) and 20% under their season total yds/game.  We held UGA to 3.6 yds/rush and 210 yds, they did not run all over us - they had control for 43 min of the game. 

The last four games you have faced an average of the #93.8 rushing teams in the NCAA which produces an average of about 142 yards rushing per game.

It's pretty easy when you are facing the bottom 1/4 of rushing teams in the NCAA.

I think you will find us a bit more of a challenge.
Go Hogs Go!

tigerinhogtown

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 24, 2014, 07:57:13 pm
The last four games you have faced an average of the #93.8 rushing teams in the NCAA which produces an average of about 142 yards rushing per game.

It's pretty easy when you are facing the bottom 1/4 of rushing teams in the NCAA.

I think you will find us a bit more of a challenge.

and those 4 teams we held to an ave of 76 yds rushing/game - 45% under season ave., pretty much the same % AR achieved.  But you must also remember TN - everybodies baby last week - had run for almost 500 yards with Dobbs running the show in their previous 2 games, MIZZOU held them to 52 rushing yards total.

regi

Quote from: tigerinhogtown on November 24, 2014, 08:14:09 pm
and those 4 teams we held to an ave of 76 yds rushing/game - 45% under season ave., pretty much the same % AR achieved.  But you must also remember TN - everybodies baby last week - had run for almost 500 yards with Dobbs running the show in their previous 2 games, MIZZOU held them to 52 rushing yards total.

Mizzou recruited to defend the spread teams in the Big12, and now (good fortune for them) everybody in the East runs the spread but UGA, who pounded Mizzou like the 2 and 3 star recruits they are. Arkansas will look to do the same. Run at those small DEs.