Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mano A Mano and short goal line yardage.

Started by Piggfoot, November 23, 2014, 12:53:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

I'd like to start some discussion on this topic.
How many times have you seen great teams drive to the goal line only to big down?
What is the best play to call? Obviously against a physically overmatched team a straight dive play is the surest and safest call but what about equally matched teams?  In evenly matched teams the defense has a slight advantage especially if coaches get into a power against power match.
There is less real estate for the defense to cover especially if the offense lines up in a tight formation. So how would you with this team approach this.?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Dr. Starcs

I love a safe play action call on first down.

Glad you started this topic, as I was going to last night. Definitely an area we can improve on.

ballz2thewall

good topic. 

as mentioned, play action.  also a misdirection or fake dive play, designed to get wide while keeping the defense tight.

yesterday i think the wet field prevented us from the misdirection and/or dive.  just a guess on my part.
The rest of the frog.

bennyl08

Things like this are where I'm a fan of a relatively speaking quick play action play. Load up the LOS, but then do a soft fake, just enough to get your TE running into the flat a bit of room to throw the pass in. Maybe throw in a bootleg if you want.

Then, it's up to the qb to guess what the defense will do. If they are going to sell out vs the run, you execute the PA pass. If you've already been doing some PA and you think the defense will play it honest, you already have the personnel for a power run up the gut. If they sell out, you have an open TE. If they don't sell out, it will be hard for them to match your power you've brought to the line.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Dr. Starcs

Would the jet sweep to hatcher not be a good option as well?

Hellafied

We have a big but tall offensive line. Goalie lowest man wins. I like how Stanford does it. They get on all fours and come off lower and hard. Also I would have another big body at fullback like 280 or 300 plus.

pigture perfect

I bootleg would have killed Ole Miss. They had committed everyone inside. A good fake handoff and Allen running naked around the end would have been easy.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Sharpcr

Two words. Kody Walker. Petrino used him on short yardage plays when he was healthy and it worked perfectly because he is a beast. I think at one point he had 4 carries for 4 yrds and 4 touchdowns in 2 games! Don't understand why we havn't used him on the goal line this year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 23, 2014, 12:53:42 pm
I'd like to start some discussion on this topic.
How many times have you seen great teams drive to the goal line only to big down?
What is the best play to call? Obviously against a physically overmatched team a straight dive play is the surest and safest call but what about equally matched teams?  In evenly matched teams the defense has a slight advantage especially if coaches get into a power against power match.
There is less real estate for the defense to cover especially if the offense lines up in a tight formation. So how would you with this team approach this.?

In all fairness, after reviewing the tape of the first rushing TD by AC, our OL did push the Ole Miss DL back into the EZ. What prevented AC from leaping the pile was #90 for Ole Miss crashing down inside and our TE on that right side getting totally whipped. #90 was there quick enough to get an arm around Collins waist and prevent him from maintaining his forward momentum. The interior OL did a good job of moving the LOS across the goal line.

I haven't been able to watch a replay yet, so I can't speak to the other times we were close but unable to get the ball in the EZ.
Go Hogs Go!

Piggfoot

I just got through looking at the last goal line stand. It looked like different players missed key blocks on each try.
Lining up seven yards back and everything happening so quickly up front if there is a hole there the D backs have time to come up and stop it. We miss Small badly.
As a side rant Danielson said it would be embarrassing to kick a field goal after hyping OM all afternoon. It was 12 min left and the FG would make it a five score game. 
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hogsevenseven

Play action with a bootleg - at least try it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 23, 2014, 02:15:10 pm
I just got through looking at the last goal line stand. It looked like different players missed key blocks on each try.
Lining up seven yards back and everything happening so quickly up front if there is a hole there the D backs have time to come up and stop it. We miss Small badly.
As a side rant Danielson said it would be embarrassing to kick a field goal after hyping OM all afternoon. It was 12 min left and the FG would make it a five score game. 

Not sure how kicking a FG for points would be embarrassing, after hyping Ole Miss all afternoon.
Go Hogs Go!

Swine Superior

I'd prefer a play action boot as well..maybe with a tight end drag as a safety net.
3rd and 4th down, short yardage plays could use some work.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 23, 2014, 02:15:10 pm

I grimaced when he said that, because I thought a FG was a great idea. Then I decided Danielson just thought we were in complete control of the game and didn't need to worry about, so I relaxed.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Swine Superior on November 23, 2014, 03:13:37 pm
I'd prefer a play action boot as well..maybe with a tight end drag as a safety net.
3rd and 4th down, short yardage plays could use some work.
Stabler to Casper

ricepig

earshot

We needed to change the snap count up.

ole Miss was jumping across the line quicker than the OL could block. Give them a hard count a time or two and it would slow them down on the penetration.

Bacons Rebellion

Ole Miss definitely got under and around our oline in short yardage.

But overall, I have been pleased with our ability to make one yard this year -- compared to many years in the past. We could still improve, but I suspect that another year with Pittman, and only replacing one starter, will help that happen.

elksnort

Got to fire out lower. The post about all fours makes sense.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2014, 03:16:30 pm
We need a Bill Burnett leap.

Yeah, if we're going to run power plays up the middle, which is fine, don't know why the RB's don't leap.  I mean Collins did, but it was weak.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ChicoHog

reddogjcss

I hope we work on moving the line on goal line stance. I figure they work on goal line offense hard this week!

SoonerSooie

I am thinking a hand off to Tretola- or a Wildcat snap to him and let him plow his 350+ into the line!! Let him be our modern "Frig!!"

HognitiveDissonance

You have to get creative there.
Up the middle is the ONE thing the defense is going to sell out to stop. They're NOT going to give you that. Sure, you might be able to cram it in...but at least half the time you won't.
Play action, fake the dive, then dump a pass to the TE will work 75% of the time. A naked bootleg will work 60% of the time. A toss sweep to a speedy back will work.
Please...please...can we run something other than up the middle in short yardage? It's been a re-occurring problem this year going back to the A&M game.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 24, 2014, 12:59:50 am
You have to get creative there.
Up the middle is the ONE thing the defense is going to sell out to stop. They're NOT going to give you that. Sure, you might be able to cram it in...but at least half the time you won't.
Play action, fake the dive, then dump a pass to the TE will work 75% of the time. A naked bootleg will work 60% of the time. A toss sweep to a speedy back will work.
Please...please...can we run something other than up the middle in short yardage? It's been a re-occurring problem this year going back to the A&M game.

That was really my only complaint about the last two games.  BB is stubborn on those, and he has that mentality that he's going to challenge his team to get a push and score that way, and put it all on them.  Problem is...the defense knows it, and they crash in and have 3-4 players at the point of attack. 

To me, when everyone is inside like that, you have to get a WR in closer to the formation, and have him fake the in-route, and then go to the corner, and the QB has to get it out quickly with some air under it so the WR can maintain that step he should have and be able to make the catch. 

The issue is...I don't think we have a WR that can be trusted to do that yet.  It sounds good...but then they get jammed at the LOS, never get the release, and then you're left with a busted play with BA running around trying to find someone open.  Contrast that with Childs when he was here, and he gets off the line, chucks the d-back, and then has the strength and athleticism to make the catch, or at a minimum...defend the ball if it's a bad throw.

I think for now, our best bet is to run it inside.  I HATE the outside pitches, because we don't have the lineman with the speed to seal the edge, or a back that can outrun anyone to the edge.  The toss plays are a waste of a down IMO.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Break & Run

The play action bootleg is by far our best goal line play for loosening up the defense.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

rickm1976

Quote from: Hellafied on November 23, 2014, 01:05:42 pm
We have a big but tall offensive line. Goalie lowest man wins. I like how Stanford does it. They get on all fours and come off lower and hard. Also I would have another big body at fullback like 280 or 300 plus.

This.  Where we really need work is in our run blocking overall.  I realize we have been going up against really good SEC defenses, but we should be at least breaking even on the LOS.  We have been losing the battle on the LOS on run plays the past few games.  However, we have a relatively young OLine, and they should be much improved next year.  I want to see more performances like we saw against TTech.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: rickm1976 on November 24, 2014, 07:52:20 am
This.  Where we really need work is in our run blocking overall.  I realize we have been going up against really good SEC defenses, but we should be at least breaking even on the LOS.  We have been losing the battle on the LOS on run plays the past few games.  However, we have a relatively young OLine, and they should be much improved next year.  I want to see more performances like we saw against TTech.

I have a feeling that's what we're going to see against Mizzou.  I think the O Line is going to have a breakout game. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Break & Run on November 24, 2014, 01:27:11 am
The play action bootleg is by far our best goal line play for loosening up the defense.

I agree completely, but I don't think we've had a designed run for BA all season that I can recall, other than a sneak.  On two different occasions, we allowed a defender to come untouched right between Guard and center.  The bootleg won't solve that issue. 

I just don't think the staff trusts BA to get around a DE or someone that stays home on the backside on a boot.  Just that one juke move it might take is not really in his wheelhouse.  Which....it strange in some respects, because in HS he was elusive and a very big threat to run.  He just peaked in HS, and never developed much physically to be effective running in the SEC without getting banged up.  I think they believe he's too valuable to get him hurt, and I can understand that based on his history. 

I still agree...just not in the context of our existing QB.  Matt Jones...absolutely!! 

ricepig

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 24, 2014, 01:10:37 pm
I agree completely, but I don't think we've had a designed run for BA all season that I can recall, other than a sneak.  On two different occasions, we allowed a defender to come untouched right between Guard and center.  The bootleg won't solve that issue. 

I just don't think the staff trusts BA to get around a DE or someone that stays home on the backside on a boot.  Just that one juke move it might take is not really in his wheelhouse.  Which....it strange in some respects, because in HS he was elusive and a very big threat to run.  He just peaked in HS, and never developed much physically to be effective running in the SEC without getting banged up.  I think they believe he's too valuable to get him hurt, and I can understand that based on his history. 

I still agree...just not in the context of our existing QB.  Matt Jones...absolutely!! 

It was the wham play with the FB suppose to pick him up, he blew the play up. Play action works best on an early down, I'm not crazy on it on 4th and 1.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: ricepig on November 24, 2014, 01:18:17 pm
It was the wham play with the FB suppose to pick him up, he blew the play up. Play action works best on an early down, I'm not crazy on it on 4th and 1.

Totally agree.  I don't see the wham working all that well at the goal line either, because you're basically trying to take an aggressive player out of the play, but with everything so stacked up down there...odds are someone is going to be there to fill that void. 

Either way...I think we have the beef to just blast people off the line enough to get a yard or two.  It just seems like those plays that should be quick hitting...are too slow.  Not a quick burst like you used to see from Dallas in the Emit Smith days.   

jm

Anything quick developing  is good IMO. You certainly don't want to lose yardage and be in a must pass situation. It is often easy to get the defense to jump offsides in tight situations, which means if you score the TD counts and if not you get an extra play.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: jm on November 24, 2014, 02:52:14 pm
Anything quick developing  is good IMO. You certainly don't want to lose yardage and be in a must pass situation. It is often easy to get the defense to jump offsides in tight situations, which means if you score the TD counts and if not you get an extra play.

Absolutely.  We need to get better at varying the snap count just to get a little advantage.  That's all it takes in those situations.  Then like you said...if you get the off sides call, then it's a free play. 

I don't know why there's not more of that.  A few times a game, that should be a guaranteed 5 yards just for being disciplined and catching the defense trying to jump the count.  Keep 'em guessing... 

PorkSoda

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on November 23, 2014, 12:58:44 pm
I love a safe play action call on first down.

Glad you started this topic, as I was going to last night. Definitely an area we can improve on.
I don't like play action on the goal like.  it takes too long.  in tight confines, you have to have fast developing plays. 

I like QB sneak or FB dive the best because they are the quickest attack possible.

otherwise, depending on the defensive line up, ie if they are all biting on the inside run, and you have a fast QB, a naked bootleg might work.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hawgXi

Quote from: Sharpcr on November 23, 2014, 01:26:13 pm
Two words. Kody Walker. Petrino used him on short yardage plays when he was healthy and it worked perfectly because he is a beast. I think at one point he had 4 carries for 4 yrds and 4 touchdowns in 2 games! Don't understand why we havn't used him on the goal line this year.

hear hear

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 24, 2014, 05:02:43 pm
I don't like play action on the goal like.  it takes too long.  in tight confines, you have to have fast developing plays. 

I like QB sneak or FB dive the best because they are the quickest attack possible.

otherwise, depending on the defensive line up, ie if they are all biting on the inside run, and you have a fast QB, a naked bootleg might work.

Yep, I was screaming for a QB sneak or two, I also like the FB quick hitter on third down.

urkillnmesmalls

I love the fade route if you have a big physical receiver.  Line up everyone bunched, one quick move to the inside and a shove on the defender, and the QB just takes a one step drop and throws it up to the rear pylon.  The trick is...you have to have a WR like an Evans at TAMU, Green from UGA a few years back, Jeffrey from SC, or someone of that caliber who is going to come down with it or defend it if the d-back gets in position to make a play for it. 

That play...when executed correctly with a tall WR, is indefensible with a good throw, and the QB gets it out so quickly that there's no chance of a negative play. 

Having said all that...it is puzzling that we can't run the thing in right between guard and tackle with a FB leading the play.  I think it's just a complete sell out by the defense, and we're going to have to show some variety to prevent that.  To date...we really haven't done that.   

Qadi999

The goal line stance was an example of a bigger issue. That issue is this team is not good at blocking . The TE may be the worst  in the NCAA at blocking, the best pass catching blocker is Hatcher. The O line are just big nothing more, they are slow getting into their blocks and they  don't have good footwork. For a team who Places all it's eggs in the basket of " We run the Ball " they have fallen short of the mark. VS SEC conf play ark is like 8  or 9th in rushing offense.If anyone cares to challenge that Ill some back and post the official results on that.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Qadi999 on November 25, 2014, 04:34:58 am
The goal line stance was an example of a bigger issue. That issue is this team is not good at blocking . The TE may be the worst  in the NCAA at blocking, the best pass catching blocker is Hatcher. The O line are just big nothing more, they are slow getting into their blocks and they  don't have good footwork. For a team who Places all it's eggs in the basket of " We run the Ball " they have fallen short of the mark. VS SEC conf play ark is like 8  or 9th in rushing offense.If anyone cares to challenge that Ill some back and post the official results on that.

I think that is a bit of an overstatement. This O-Line can block and they have done well. When everything on the defense gets compressed on the goal line, yeah, you have to be able to man up, not get fancy and road grade the defense. Your particular alignment can make this easier for the O-Line.

The best blocking TE that we have seems to be Derby. I know that on two occasions down on the goal line I saw two other TE's get whipped where the DE just slanted across their face and came right on in to be a part of the play. That should never happen, especially when you have the advantage of a good angle on the DE. Someone does need to address that.
Go Hogs Go!

Qadi999

2014 Southeastern Conference Leaders
Rushing Offense - Games vs. Conference Teams Only
through 11/22/2014
2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Name   G   Att   Yards   Avg.   TD   Att/G   Yards/G
1   Auburn   7   327   1988   6.08   19   46.71   284.00
2   Mississippi State   7   320   1680   5.25   18   45.71   240.00
3   Georgia   8   346   1901   5.49   21   43.25   237.63
4   Florida   8   364   1608   4.42   15   45.50   201.00
5   Missouri   7   274   1212   4.42   10   39.14   173.14
6   LSU   7   315   1208   3.83   8   45.00   172.57
7   Alabama   7   275   1168   4.25   11   39.29   166.86
8   South Carolina   8   298   1318   4.42   15   37.25   164.75
9   Arkansas   7   278   1070   3.85   11   39.71   152.86
10   Kentucky   8   294   1085   3.69   11   36.75   135.63
11   Mississippi   7   261   942   3.61   9   37.29   134.57
12   Tennessee   7   269   937   3.48   7   38.43   133.86
13   Texas A&M   7   218   832   3.82   6   31.14   118.86
14   Vanderbilt   7   191   625   3.27   2   27.29   89.29
Copyright © 2006-2014 www.cfbstats.com All rights reserved.

Terms of Use

11/24/2014 22:24:25

Qadi999

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 25, 2014, 07:52:42 am
I think that is a bit of an overstatement. This O-Line can block and they have done well. When everything on the defense gets compressed on the goal line, yeah, you have to be able to man up, not get fancy and road grade the defense. Your particular alignment can make this easier for the O-Line.

The best blocking TE that we have seems to be Derby. I know that on two occasions down on the goal line I saw two other TE's get whipped where the DE just slanted across their face and came right on in to be a part of the play. That should never happen, especially when you have the advantage of a good angle on the DE. Someone does need to address that

The tape don't lie go watch the O line block and you will see all the missed blocks or guys getting beat on their blocks. With all the talk of how good Pittman is the lack of sold blocking is baffling to me.

jm

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 24, 2014, 11:11:21 pm
I love the fade route if you have a big physical receiver.  Line up everyone bunched, one quick move to the inside and a shove on the defender, and the QB just takes a one step drop and throws it up to the rear pylon.  The trick is...you have to have a WR like an Evans at TAMU, Green from UGA a few years back, Jeffrey from SC, or someone of that caliber who is going to come down with it or defend it if the d-back gets in position to make a play for it. 

That play...when executed correctly with a tall WR, is indefensible with a good throw, and the QB gets it out so quickly that there's no chance of a negative play. 

Having said all that...it is puzzling that we can't run the thing in right between guard and tackle with a FB leading the play.  I think it's just a complete sell out by the defense, and we're going to have to show some variety to prevent that.  To date...we really haven't done that.

We can't throw the fade with a high degree of success. Your point is valid, but it takes a special talent to be successful that many if not most college teams don't have.

hogwild6700

I always love that quick pitch to the outside.
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

Dr. Starcs

We've tried the toss to Collins a handful of times recently down at the goalline. It hasn't worked so well for whatever reason.

Qadi999

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on November 25, 2014, 11:20:59 am
We've tried the toss to Collins a handful of times recently down at the goalline. It hasn't worked so well for whatever reason.
It's not about who is running the ball what way , it's about this teams lack of ability to block. Until they fix the blocking nothing else matters.

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: Qadi999 on November 25, 2014, 01:59:19 pm

It's not about who is running the ball what way , it's about this teams lack of ability to block. Until they fix the blocking nothing else matters.

Tell us how you really feel!  Oh wait you did multiple times even when no one responded.

20hog11

Kody Walker on a fullback dive might work. Like others have said it needs to be a quick hitting play or else the faster defenses will bust up the play like ole miss did several times.

redeye

I somewhat disagree with many of you.  A bootleg is my favorite play when close to the goal line, but when you have a smash mouth offense, and have a 1st and goal at the 1 yard line, I think you should always be able to make a TD in 4 downs.  Some of our problem was missing assignments against Ole Miss (our FB also missed on one), but I also think we're trying to be a little too fancy in this situation.  At that moment, your momentum ought to be enough to win the battle.

I also don't like the ball carrier in many of these situations.  I don't ever wanna see BA do another QB sneak here, because a) he's not good at going over the pile and b) he's too fragile, and important, to risk an injury.  I suspect Collins is used a lot because he's the best at finding a hole, but I'd rather use someone bigger who can just muscle it in, like JWill or Kody Walker.  Ole Miss had Collins before the play developed, but that wouldn't happen if we'd just pushed it in, imo.

This has been one of my complaints all year.  IIRC, we had some success doing it against Alabama and LSU, so it was a little disheartening to see us not try it more against Ole Miss.  I just think we're trying to do too much and making it harder then it should be in these situations.

By all means, throw in a bootleg ever so often, to keep the defense honest, but when we only need a yard, just play smash mouth football most of the time.