Previous topic - Next topic

HogFanatic

First downs: Ole Miss had 19 to Arkansas's 17
Total yards: Ole Miss had 316 to Arkansas's 311
Passing: Ole Miss had 253 to Arkansas's 152
Rushing: Arkansas had 159 to Ole Miss's 63
Penalties: Ole Miss had 4 for 20 yards to Arkansas's 6 for 44 yards
Turnovers: Ole Miss turned it over 6 times to Arkansas's 1

These stats to me tell the tale of a defense that bent a lot but did not break even once. And Ole Miss wasn't ready to play the game. Six turnovers? I know that Arkansas pulled in a couple picks, but Ole Miss just couldn't hang on to the football.

Great break for Arkansas, and I am ecstatic about the win, but other than that turnover margin, Arkansas was actually bettered on the field yesterday in most statistical categories.

I can't remember ever seeing Arkansas being the beneficiary of such poor play. It is usually the other way around, and I firmly believe we will begin to see more and more of this sort of thing the longer Rob Smith runs his defense here. The defense is outstanding!!

atekido

Forced turnovers.  its why that is such a touted stat.  you will beat a team even if they dominated everything else if you win turnover battles.

sasnakrafan

This stat doesnt take into account that our avg starting field position was probably from our own 40 as oppose to ole misses 20? Someone help me out here... needless to say special teams and defense did everything they needed and wanted while the offense did enough w the exception of one turnover.  We played a more complete game therefore we were not bettered on the field. Just ask ole miss fans if u believe otherwise.

HogFanatic

Quote from: sasnakrafan on November 23, 2014, 11:48:03 am
This stat doesnt take into account that our avg starting field position was probably from our own 40 as oppose to ole misses 20? Someone help me out here... needless to say special teams and defense did everything they needed and wanted while the offense did enough w the exception of one turnover.  We played a more complete game therefore we were not bettered on the field. Just ask ole miss fans if u believe otherwise.

Well obviously the team wasn't bettered. They were outproduced in most offensive categories, is all I was saying.

Late into the game Ole Miss had only 29 yards rushing. They ended up with 63. That is great. When it is raining like it was, and you can take away the run, the chances of getting turnovers has to go up tremendously. The defensive game plan was brilliant, imo.

But still I saw a team in Ole Miss that just wasn't ready to play, on top of being outclassed on the field. That backup quarterback gave us one fumble recovery when he just completely lost the ball. I mean just lost it. Again, it is great to be the beneficiary of such sloppy play for once.

daBoar

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on November 23, 2014, 11:38:13 am
First downs: Ole Miss had 19 to Arkansas's 17
Total yards: Ole Miss had 316 to Arkansas's 311
Passing: Ole Miss had 253 to Arkansas's 152
Rushing: Arkansas had 159 to Ole Miss's 63
Penalties: Ole Miss had 4 for 20 yards to Arkansas's 6 for 44 yards
Turnovers: Ole Miss turned it over 6 times to Arkansas's 1

These stats to me tell the tale of a defense that bent a lot but did not break even once. And Ole Miss wasn't ready to play the game. Six turnovers? I know that Arkansas pulled in a couple picks, but Ole Miss just couldn't hang on to the football.

Great break for Arkansas, and I am ecstatic about the win, but other than that turnover margin, Arkansas was actually bettered on the field yesterday in most statistical categories.

I can't remember ever seeing Arkansas being the beneficiary of such poor play. It is usually the other way around, and I firmly believe we will begin to see more and more of this sort of thing the longer Rob Smith runs his defense here. The defense is outstanding!!
Mostly focusing on offensive stats for the whole game.  While I was still biting my nails at half time, I think the coaches felt the game was won.  I do remember an early stat that showed the Hogs well ahead in first downs.  Our guys got (what looked to me as very conservative) after the first quarter, when in reality they did not need to be fancy with a 17-0 lead. Ole Miss had to take risks, and the Hogs made them pay dearly.

oppybrit

The last drive by Ole Miss had 3 1st downs, and 48 yards