Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

running games - simple & effective, yet hidden in stats.

Started by ballz2thewall, November 23, 2014, 08:30:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ballz2thewall

if you look at our last two efforts on the ground from stats only, our running game doesn't look like much.  yesterday we had 159 for a 3.2 average.  very "meh" to the casual observer.

i had predicted in one of those hyperbolic threads last week [no pun intended] where our running game is labeled "dominant" or "elite", that we'd get 135+ yards, meaning somewhere near the 135 mark.

what the stats don't show is how those yards contribute to the overall game performance.  the other stats don't really provide the answer either.

the stats don't show, for example, how much the defense MUST commit in personnel and scheme in order to temper our running game.  that is; the opposing defense better make damn sure it has plenty of people COMMITTED to the run, and a scheme equally committed to the run.  both of these line up frequently.  obviously D's must do this because without it we will jack up a 250+ game in no time.

and then of course the passing comes in and takes advantage of the D's commitment to the run.  many of our pass completion were to receivers that were wide-ass open.

so, its not just stopping the run, but the level of commitment the D's must make to stop it.

and it goes without saying that we have a defense that mixes right in to this balance.  it's like folding creme and egg whites into harmony.

this takes some sophisticated thinking from a coaching perspective.  its very simple really, but difficult to bite into for some.  there are certain teams and styles that seem to leave the defense out of the offensive equation.

a team made this way won't draw the ultimate superlative compliments about its running or passing.  people would often assume, perhaps, that opponents were flat when they faced a team with three-part harmonic balance.

this seems to be how steamrollers are built.
The rest of the frog.

LSPRazorbac

Agree.

The running games purpose is to force the defense to go all in to stop the run that opens up our passing game.

170 yards rushing (if you don't include sacks) is a good day against a good defense.

JIHawg

Quote from: ballz2thewall on November 23, 2014, 08:30:36 am
if you look at our last two efforts on the ground from stats only, our running game doesn't look like much.  yesterday we had 159 for a 3.2 average.  very "meh" to the casual observer.

i had predicted in one of those hyperbolic threads last week [no pun intended] where our running game is labeled "dominant" or "elite", that we'd get 135+ yards, meaning somewhere near the 135 mark.

what the stats don't show is how those yards contribute to the overall game performance.  the other stats don't really provide the answer either.

the stats don't show, for example, how much the defense MUST commit in personnel and scheme in order to temper our running game.  that is; the opposing defense better make damn sure it has plenty of people COMMITTED to the run, and a scheme equally committed to the run.  both of these line up frequently.  obviously D's must do this because without it we will jack up a 250+ game in no time.

and then of course the passing comes in and takes advantage of the D's commitment to the run.  many of our pass completion were to receivers that were wide-ass open.

so, its not just stopping the run, but the level of commitment the D's must make to stop it.

and it goes without saying that we have a defense that mixes right in to this balance.  it's like folding creme and egg whites into harmony.

this takes some sophisticated thinking from a coaching perspective.  its very simple really, but difficult to bite into for some.  there are certain teams and styles that seem to leave the defense out of the offensive equation.

a team made this way won't draw the ultimate superlative compliments about its running or passing.  people would often assume, perhaps, that opponents were flat when they faced a team with three-part harmonic balance.

Great post!

clew

Pure as the dawn

gmarv

sometimes its hard for us to understand this, I think you are right on.also I think ole miss did a good job winning of the battle while losing the war on defense.
so much effort was spent stopping the run our pass game was almost easy.

Hoggish1

Quote from: theenemy on November 23, 2014, 08:36:31 am
Agree.

The running games purpose is to force the defense to go all in to stop the run that opens up our passing game.

170 yards rushing (if you don't include sacks) is a good day against a good defense.

Right.

Pissers heard how we were going to run right at them and they made damn sure we weren't going to do that.  Then they got burned with guys running free behind their secondary.  WPS

Teams' D's are going to get burned either way.

TeedupHigh

and many, many said this offense would be boring and could not work in the SEC, much less the SEC West. 

ballz2thewall

Quote from: gmarv on November 23, 2014, 09:25:54 am
sometimes its hard for us to understand this, I think you are right on.also I think ole miss did a good job winning of the battle while losing the war on defense.
so much effort was spent stopping the run our pass game was almost easy.

the battle v. war is a very good analogy.

the method has a combined effect; wear down and deflate incrementally. clock time shows some of this but not all of it.

while it looks and feels like the defense won these games, that too is oversimplified.  both play in such a way as to create a total canvassed picture that is not dominated by stark, contrasting colors.  rather; it is a blend effect where the point where one stops and the other starts is largely indistinguishable.

The rest of the frog.

Fan1958

Quote from: ballz2thewall on November 23, 2014, 08:30:36 am

Ever wonder how it always seems Bama's guys stepped from the sidelines about 30 yards down the field?   Because that's how teams have to play against Bama.

Whether folks want to admit it or not Arkansas is going to be able to "Bama Bama" and that will make Arkansas and Bama the elite in the SECW and SEC overall.

These finesse offenses that OM, A&M, Mizzou, and to an extent AU run won't stand up to a power running game and defenses like Bama and Arkansas play.  MSU has run a spread for the last few years until this group came along.  Be interesting to see what they do when this group (and prolly Mullen) are gone.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".