Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mizzou fan's take

Started by RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan, November 23, 2014, 08:10:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan

Here we are with a MU vs UA game that matters. I have watched every Hog game and noted your improvements as each game went by. I have even called in to local sports shows defending the Hogs when the fans were down in the dumps.

I have predicted that the Hogs win this game for quite a while. But I have predicted Mizzou to lose every SEC game they have played except for Vandy. I can't get a read on how this game will match up.

Mizzou does not have a very good receiving group this year. In fact, its the worst I have seen during Pinkel's tenure. If the Hogs shut down the passing game, you win easy.

Mizzou does have a good defense. But if they are forced to stay on the field for 45 minutes of the game by an inept offense, you will run all over us. If we get an early lead, our D line could be a nightmare for either Allen QB to contend with.

Mizzou's special teams can be quite the enigma. We never know what kind of kicker will show up. Marcus Murphy is a very dangerous return man. He is the only offensive player MU has that will get looked at by the NFL. If you do a good job on coverage, you can rely on special team's penalties to keep MU pinned deep.

Obviously I want MU to win this game. I do hope both team's players finish the game uninjured. To those of you traveling to Columbia, I wish you a safe trip.........Oh, I have seen several comments about the Antlers. They are not an official student group,,and they are into basketball, not football. I, and other MU fans do not approve of most of their antics.

blu

I'm a Hog fan living just south of Ashland, about 20 minutes from Mizzou campus. Wife is a big Mizzou fan (they're my #2). Couldn't agree more with your comments.  Mizzou can definitely hang with the Hogs if they can execute on offense. Their defense is for real. I agree with the sentiments of the SEC analysts, they have a SEC Champion caliber defense. Should be a tough, close SEC game and a lot of fun.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

clew

Pure as the dawn

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on November 23, 2014, 08:10:44 am
Here we are with a MU vs UA game that matters. I have watched every Hog game and noted your improvements as each game went by. I have even called in to local sports shows defending the Hogs when the fans were down in the dumps.

I have predicted that the Hogs win this game for quite a while. But I have predicted Mizzou to lose every SEC game they have played except for Vandy. I can't get a read on how this game will match up.

Mizzou does not have a very good receiving group this year. In fact, its the worst I have seen during Pinkel's tenure. If the Hogs shut down the passing game, you win easy.

Mizzou does have a good defense. But if they are forced to stay on the field for 45 minutes of the game by an inept offense, you will run all over us. If we get an early lead, our D line could be a nightmare for either Allen QB to contend with.

Mizzou's special teams can be quite the enigma. We never know what kind of kicker will show up. Marcus Murphy is a very dangerous return man. He is the only offensive player MU has that will get looked at by the NFL. If you do a good job on coverage, you can rely on special team's penalties to keep MU pinned deep.

Obviously I want MU to win this game. I do hope both team's players finish the game uninjured. To those of you traveling to Columbia, I wish you a safe trip.........Oh, I have seen several comments about the Antlers. They are not an official student group,,and they are into basketball, not football. I, and other MU fans do not approve of most of their antics.

The Hog / Tiger Game will be an interesting one to see how it develops.  I believe the Hogs will take care of business but one has to give Mizzou their due.   They've put themselves in position to win back-to-back SEC East Championships and that's quite an accomplishment regardless of how "down" the SEC East is right now. 

JHicks3636

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Dr. Starcs

Mizzou was also said to have a championship-caliber defense last year before auburn ran rough-shod over them.

Yes, they are good. But lets not forget the only power running team they faced this year, uga, dominated them in Columbia.

HoopS

Quote from: clew on November 23, 2014, 09:09:23 am
I hope we get a hat trick.
I don't care too much for tricks but I sure hope we can win our third straight.

blu

To be honest, I am very worried about this one. We've spent a lot of emotion the last couple of weeks, we've met our goal of becoming bowl eligible, and Mizzou has everything to play for in this game. Their D is tough, their O is starting to click, and they are healthy overall. BA has got to be healthy and on for us to pull this one out. That is how close I see this one being.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

HF#1

I see this going similar to the Texas Tech game except Mizzou's D is slightly better.  We won't run for 400 yards but we might run for 275 or 300. 

I just don't respect Mizzou, not one bit.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: blu on November 23, 2014, 09:37:52 am
To be honest, I am very worried about this one. We've spent a lot of emotion the last couple of weeks, we've met our goal of becoming bowl eligible, and Mizzou has everything to play for in this game. Their D is tough, their O is starting to click, and they are healthy overall. BA has got to be healthy and on for us to pull this one out. That is how close I see this one being.

Our boys have shown that if they have anything, they have resiliency and guts. I don't worry about their emotions tanking.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

PonderinHog

Hey Mizzou, you might as well jump!

Arkansas is coming..

HF#1

You would have thought if we were going to let down, it would have been after LSU.  I don't think this team has emotional let downs.  If they did, we wouldn't be bowl eligible.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

TheGrove68

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on November 23, 2014, 09:31:12 am
Mizzou was also said to have a championship-caliber defense last year before auburn ran rough-shod over them.

Yes, they are good. But lets not forget the only power running team they faced this year, uga, dominated them in Columbia.

We got ran over for 3.6 yds per carry with our Def. on the field for 43 min.......only gave up 34 points for the game. That is a pretty good Def.

Now our offense is horrid and hard to watch....we make a few big plays at times and it has bailed us out. Versus UGA we had 5 turnovers and never crossed the 50yd line but once or twice..Never hit the RZ either.

Game could go either way..if we can score points and stop the Ark. Run game a bit and force your Offense into throwing the ball we will be in a good spot. If not you wear us down and we lose.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on November 23, 2014, 09:31:12 am

That same Georgia power run game dominated us. Mizzou defense has got better late in the season just like our defense continues to get better.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

BR

I think it will be an awesome start to a new Rivalry..     MU has to win to go to Atlanta, we want #7 and a better Bowl game...  21-17 Hogs
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Dr. Starcs

Georgia's first game without gurley right?

I noticed you ignored my point about auburn last year. Lol

Seriously though, this has the makings of a very competitive game and a good young rivalry.

SPAL

Quote from: TheGrove68 on November 23, 2014, 09:59:54 am
We got ran over for 3.6 yds per carry with our Def. on the field for 43 min.......only gave up 34 points for the game. That is a pretty good Def.

Now our offense is horrid and hard to watch....we make a few big plays at times and it has bailed us out. Versus UGA we had 5 turnovers and never crossed the 50yd line but once or twice..Never hit the RZ either.

Game could go either way..if we can score points and stop the Ark. Run game a bit and force your Offense into throwing the ball we will be in a good spot. If not you wear us down and we lose.

The thing is, Brandon Allen has turned into a serviceable qb. If you sell out to stop the run, he and our tight ends will kill you. ItS not gonna be taken for a good passing game, but it is effective given that teams have to sell out yo stop the run.

elksnort

I've been impressed and very happy with the progress of this year's Razorbacks.  I was also impressed with Missouri last night against Tennessee.  It will a big challenge for the Razorbacks to beat the Tigers next Friday.   

elksnort

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 23, 2014, 10:09:43 am
The thing is, Brandon Allen has turned into a serviceable qb. If you sell out to stop the run, he and our tight ends will kill you. ItS not gonna be taken for a good passing game, but it is effective given that teams have to sell out yo stop the run.
And this is all we can really ask until we get a deep threat at receiver. 

wupigsuey

Ole Miss has a pretty good defense too.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: wupigsuey on November 23, 2014, 10:13:20 am
Ole Miss has a pretty good defense too.

Yes they do, and we didn't do much against it, but our defense was better than theirs.

Our defense has to be better than Mizzou's and we've got to find a way to generate enough points to make a victory stand. This could be a low scoring affair.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

PonderinHog

Hopefully, Bad Maty shows up...

We need some turnovers.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 23, 2014, 10:19:01 am

We need some turnovers.

Our defense will turn him into Bad Maty.

blu

Agree. I just pray we are as overall mistake free as we were against OM. Mizzou has beaten SC at SC, FL at Fl, and TN at TN. They'll be tough at home. I just want us to realize that MIzzou is every bit as good as LSU and OM. We will have to be ready - I see this one as a very very tough win. Hope we pull it out - ps, don't tell my wife.

HF#1

Quote from: blu on November 23, 2014, 10:25:32 am
Agree. I just pray we are as overall mistake free as we were against OM. Mizzou has beaten SC at SC, FL at Fl, and TN at TN. They'll be tough at home. I just want us to realize that MIzzou is every bit as good as LSU and OM. We will have to be ready - I see this one as a very very tough win. Hope we pull it out - ps, don't tell my wife.

The only team they faced that had the same sort of style offensively while also having a good defense, killed them.

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

aristotle

Special Teams will be key.

Do NOT kick to Murphy. Punt out of bounds and squib kickoffs.

blu

If AA starts for us, it will be ugly on offense, and I am not dissing AA at all, I believe he may well be the next 2 year starter at QB and well deserved. MU has a better pass rush with their front 4 than any team we have faced, watch 33 and 56 and 91 and tell me I'm wrong. BA learned a lot last year that AA will have to learn the hard way if he's the man. Our D may be able to bail us out even then, but it will be ugly on O.

wupigsuey

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 23, 2014, 10:16:27 am

Yes they do, and we didn't do much against it, but our defense was better than theirs.

Our defense has to be better than Mizzou's and we've got to find a way to generate enough points to make a victory stand. This could be a low scoring affair.

Passed up their average with several short fields
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

daBoar

Missouri has won 5 consecutive SEC games; three on the road. That's a very salty recent resume.  The Hogs may be riding high, but they haven't won an SEC road game in two years, yet.

IBleedRazorbackRed

34-10 hogs. Tevin Coleman made that great defense look like Swiss cheese. Both of our backs get 100 yards, and Mauk throws at least 2 picks

jgphillips3

Quote from: elksnort on November 23, 2014, 10:12:12 am
And this is all we can really ask until we get a deep threat at receiver. 

Fortunately, KJ Hill will answer that call starting next year. :)

RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on November 23, 2014, 11:18:11 am
34-10 hogs. Tevin Coleman made that great defense look like Swiss cheese. Both of our backs get 100 yards, and Mauk throws at least 2 picks
You are absolutely right. We were missing Golden for that game,,,and the whole team came into it cocky. They were caught off guard big time.

I am hoping our DC has us prepped. UA is definitely going to be the most physical team we have faced this year.

Cure

Defending the spread is in Robb Smith's wheelhouse.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

tigerinhogtown

Quote from: HF#1 on November 23, 2014, 09:39:39 am
I see this going similar to the Texas Tech game except Mizzou's D is slightly better.  We won't run for 400 yards but we might run for 275 or 300. 

I just don't respect Mizzou, not one bit.

FYI, no team has rushed for their season ave against MIZZOU and we have held all our opponents on ave 32% BELOW their ave yards per rush (GA was 42% below their season ave - 3.6 YD/rush against MU vs 6.2 YD/rush for the season)

trashcan maN

Quote from: daBoar on November 23, 2014, 10:50:56 am
Missouri has won 5 consecutive SEC games; three on the road. That's a very salty recent resume.  The Hogs may be riding high, but they haven't won an SEC road game in two years, yet.
Props to them, but KY, Vandy, Tennessee, TAMU and Florida does not = a 'salty resume'

daBoar

Quote from: trashcan maN on November 23, 2014, 12:00:19 pm
Props to them, but KY, Vandy, Tennessee, TAMU and Florida does not = a 'salty resume'
Well, my point was not about making Missouri out to be a very great team, but to note that 5 SEC wins in a row is not achieved all the time.  Of all the rest, only MSU and Bama have had 5 SEC win streaks this season.  While we played both MSU and Bama tough, our Hogs lost to both.

jesterzzn

TechHog

Mauk is a 52% passer in the SEC east.  They missed 2 PATs last night.  They won't have the quality depth that either LSU or ole miss had.  Think this adds up to us having a big day running, and the hogs getting #7.

Jamie Jones

I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

litmachog

One word.  Indiana- at home.  A power running team. 

dhornjr1

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 23, 2014, 10:19:01 am

We need some turnovers.

Miserable Maty?

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: The Chief on November 23, 2014, 09:42:26 am
Our boys have shown that if they have anything, they have resiliency and guts. I don't worry about their emotions tanking.

Yep we didn't win due to emotion. We won because we played sound football. If they were going to let down it would have been after the two loses to Bama and MSU.

These kids believe in 1-0.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

pigture perfect

injured Bo is better than Maty. I'm more concerned about our offense clicking.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: tigerinhogtown on November 23, 2014, 11:52:48 am
FYI, no team has rushed for their season ave against MIZZOU and we have held all our opponents on ave 32% BELOW their ave yards per rush (GA was 42% below their season ave - 3.6 YD/rush against MU vs 6.2 YD/rush for the season)

Yet UGA won 34-0 at Mizzou.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: ChitownHawg on November 23, 2014, 02:55:11 pm
I think Bolo Yeung loses in that movie.  ;)

Yeah, but you get the point.  It's hard to find a universally understood "You are next!" meme.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: jesterzzn on November 23, 2014, 01:19:44 pm
That dude lost after saying that.  Bad karma.

Thank God Bolo went with the script or Van Damme would have died.  Bolo is China's Chuck Norris.

BOLO Bolo Only Live Once