Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sporting News: For Arkansas, 2015 can't get here soon enough.

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, November 23, 2014, 06:48:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Matt Hayes-The Sporting News wrote:

What Arkansas did Saturday was serve notice to the rest of the SEC West: if you want to win the division in 2015, you better be able to line up and trade blows with the Hogs. They're physical and fundamental and they don't make mistakes, and they've embraced the very thing that every coach in the SEC worships: winning at the line of scrimmage.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-11-22/arkansas-beats-ole-miss-look-out-sec-2015-bret-bielema-alex-collins-maul-ball

Go Hogs Go!

The_Iceman

mbd1475

Great writeup!  Bathing in the Hog glory all weekend :)  WPS!

Pig Worshipper

Nice article but a little over the top. Ole Miss' defensive line out-quicked our offensive line all day. I'm looking forward to seeing how much our great coaching staff can get those guys to improve by next year while adding in some better recruits as well. Then that article will be true.

Hoggie17

I was a few weeks premature, I thought we were where we are now the week of Alabama, it shows that our team is made of winners most teams would have quit.  We didn't, we kept mauling away.

Recruiting will be great!

Boarcephus

I just know it's a lot more enjoyable reading the paper and seeing what other people outside the program are saying about us these days,
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on November 23, 2014, 07:02:08 am
Nice article but a little over the top. Ole Miss' defensive line out-quicked our offensive line all day. I'm looking forward to seeing how much our great coaching staff can get those guys to improve by next year while adding in some better recruits as well. Then that article will be true.

You are right, Ole Miss did win some battles at the LOS on defense, maybe even 40-50% of the time. But Ole Miss is a good football team and when you have two good football teams playing each other you can always expect the other team to make some plays as well.

I'm very happy that we won but it does concern me that we would get into the RZ and our O-Line couldn't move the LOS forward more than they did. I love this team but I bet that Pittman will be challenging the O-Line to check their "man-card" when they watch this film. It is fine to have the biggest O-Line in all of football, but it means little if you can't be a roadgrader when it counts.

Other than that, this team is playing at an exceptionally high level and a tip of the hat goes not only to the kids, but to this coaching staff. Great job!
Go Hogs Go!

HamIAm

Nice opening paragraph:

QuoteThat sound you just heard was Arkansas passing Ole Miss in the SEC West Division. Now, and the future.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 23, 2014, 07:14:04 am
Ole Miss did win some battles at the LOS on defense, maybe even 40-50% of the time. But Ole Miss is a good football team and when you have two good football teams playing each other you can always expect the other team to make some plays as well.

I'm very happy that we won but it does concern me that we would get into the RZ and our O-Line couldn't move the LOS forward more than they did. I love this team but I bet that Pittman will be challenging the O-Line to check their "man-card" when they watch this film. It is fine to have the biggest O-Line in all of football, but it means little if you can't be a roadgrader when it counts.

Other than that, this team is playing at an exceptionally high level and a tip of the hat goes not only to the kids, but to this coaching staff. Great job!

Right on the button!  I would like to see a little more push on the short yardage downs.  There is still work to be done.

EFBAB

Cowtown Hog

MemphisBossHog

I agree.  As big and bad and the Hogs are, they simply could not get even a yard in short yardage situation or goal line.  OM's DLine got tremendous penetration EVERY time it needed it, so there is room for improvement.  6 turnovers will hurt any team and that killed Ole Miss.  Now Arkansas forced some of those turnovers with good hard tackling and great defensive secondary play. But make no mistake, Ole Miss's DLine is for real. 

The upshot from all of this is that BB and his coaching staff have made tremendous strides in teaching the kids what they want to teach them.   They have gotten the guys to buy in and you can see how each kid is playing for his teammate.  They all have gone through all this adversity together and come out the other side.  So proud of them.  So proud to hear and read national pundits saying that win or lose, when you play Arkansas, you better be ready for a physical, well coached team.  BB has developed a ton of "cred" nationally with what he has done so far.  Really hope this translates into great recruiting.  We will see.

Granny fan

Ole Miss was #8 for a reason!  And we SHUT THEM OUT!  30-0!

Ex-Trumpet

Our o-line will continue to improve...Ole Miss may have the best defense in the country. 
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

daBoar

There is no doubt that Smith has transformed the defense since the Auburn game. But, we will miss Flowers and Spaight in 2015; a lot I believe.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 23, 2014, 06:48:30 am
Matt Hayes-The Sporting News wrote:

What Arkansas did Saturday was serve notice to the rest of the SEC West: if you want to win the division in 2015, you better be able to line up and trade blows with the Hogs. They're physical and fundamental and they don't make mistakes, and they've embraced the very thing that every coach in the SEC worships: winning at the line of scrimmage.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-11-22/arkansas-beats-ole-miss-look-out-sec-2015-bret-bielema-alex-collins-maul-ball
But, but..........according to some CBB's style wouldn't work in the SEC or really anywhere in college football for that matter 'cause don't you know you have to run a HUNH or "spread" offense to win anymore. I mean who wants to play "old man/fashioned" football when you can worship at the alter of someone like St. Gus who's a genius and knows the only way to win is to run it fast and furious? How much grief did Bret get this past offseason for sticking up for his style of physical, fundamental run first football? Well there's not a lot of laughing being done now. Especially if you're a coach that has to face the Hogs and that same "smash mouth" attack. Guess it does prove the old saying "He who laughs last laughs loudest". Imagine that! :razorback:

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: daBoar on November 23, 2014, 09:05:50 am
There is no doubt that Smith has transformed the defense since the Auburn game. But, we will miss Flowers and Spaight in 2015; a lot I believe.
Both are great players but I love CBB's "next man up" mentality.

incHOGnito

We had dang near 200 yards rushing on a day we played with a back up quarterback most of the day in the pouring rain. If anything it was a draw between their d-line and our o-line.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on November 23, 2014, 09:10:55 am
Both are great players but I love CBB's "next man up" mentality.

I agree. That mentality builds "prepared" depth while you are building quality depth.
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: incHOGnito on November 23, 2014, 09:13:00 am
We had dang near 200 yards rushing on a day we played with a back up quarterback most of the day in the pouring rain. If anything it was a draw between their d-line and our o-line.

I doubt anyone disagrees with you but wasn't that the point?  CBB has stated he want to beat you when you know what he is gonna do.  I doubt that mean 50% of the time so we still have work to do.  As another said it will be interesting to see how much better they can be next year.  Even winning 66% of the time would be hugh!

Several of the senior will be hard to replace but I don't see any of them that can't.  Even Flowers as great as he is has a deep bench behind him of quailty players.

davglo35

Yes we were stopped in the RZ but like Ex-trumpet said, ole miss has one of if not the best defense in the country.

NEA_Hogfan1

Great article. I'm loving all the positive press for the Hogs. This will translate huge with recruiting too.
Above all else, I'm a Hog lover.
After that, I'm  a Tiger hater.

Hoggie17

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 23, 2014, 09:08:43 am
But, but..........according to some CBB's style wouldn't work in the SEC or really anywhere in college football for that matter 'cause don't you know you have to run a HUNH or "spread" offense to win anymore. I mean who wants to play "old man/fashioned" football when you can worship at the alter of someone like St. Gus who's a genius and knows the only way to win is to run it fast and furious? How much grief did Bret get this past offseason for sticking up for his style of physical, fundamental run first football? Well there's not a lot of laughing being done now. Especially if you're a coach that has to face the Hogs and that same "smash mouth" attack. Guess it does prove the old saying "He who laughs last laughs loudest". Imagine that! :razorback:
Its been working for years at Ala and LSU. Now 3 teams in the SEC play old style Big 10 footall, Arkansas has joined with their version of Big 10 football.

hawgsalot

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 23, 2014, 07:14:04 am
You are right, Ole Miss did win some battles at the LOS on defense, maybe even 40-50% of the time. But Ole Miss is a good football team and when you have two good football teams playing each other you can always expect the other team to make some plays as well.

Ole miss put 9 or even 10 in the box most of the night and run blitzed almost every play.  I'm not near as concerned about our line as others.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgsalot on November 23, 2014, 09:30:47 am
Ole miss put 9 or even 10 in the box most of the night and run blitzed almost every play.  I'm not near as concerned about our line as others.

Truth is, we had our jumbo package in those times we were inside the 5 so it was pretty much one on one and mano a mano. Collins' semi-leap barely crossed the goal line. I love this team but I don't care who you are facing, if you have the biggest O-Line in football, you gotta be able to get a push of a single yard, as an example.
Go Hogs Go!

bpoecell

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 23, 2014, 09:08:43 am

Bielema used his Maul Ball to reach three straight Rose Bowls at Wisconsin. Why would anyone think it couldn't translate in the SEC?

Good scheme is good scheme. Smart ball is smart ball. Doesn't matter where it's played.

That says it all.

HogFoo

I agree with the article.  This is just the 2nd year under this staff. Yes we do have the biggest OL in football.  They are not yet the strongest OL in football yet. But I guarantee you that under this staff they will be that as well. Give skipper .Kirkland.  and the rest of the OL another year or two under The Transformer and we will be winning the LOS more than 50% as we did in yesterday's game.  Ole Piss had a great DLine. I think they were #1 in RZ defense in nation.  All u can ask for in that situation is a draw in the trenches and then hope the others make plays. And we did. 

Coach Bielema has brought this team up nice and even.  He didn't do a petrino and only bring in offense. He didn't do a muschamp and only bring in defense.   He went out and recruited his type players and they have developed them into a great team.  I have to agree with coach's Bielema statement.   We can play with anyone right now!   Wps!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

flagstaffhog

Quote from: Granny fan on November 23, 2014, 08:55:22 am

Ole Miss was #8 for a reason!  And we SHUT THEM OUT!  30-0!

That's what I'm talking about. ...
Go HOGS Go!

hehawg

I hope we can get some good replacements for spaight and flowers they are 2 play makers on defense! I have faith in coach ROB he has definitely turned this defense in a positive direction
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

popcornhog

True. And we knew Flowers was a beast. But Spaight? I don't think any of us saw him being this dominant. Hopefully a couple of guys who we don't exoect will step up next year too.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: hehawg on November 23, 2014, 09:49:09 am
I hope we can get some good replacements for spaight and flowers they are 2 play makers on defense! I have faith in coach ROB he has definitely turned this defense in a positive direction

Rohan Gaines and Tevin Mitchell would beg to differ.
WPS

Chief Mac

Quote from: bpoecell on November 23, 2014, 09:39:10 am
Bielema used his Maul Ball to reach three straight Rose Bowls at Wisconsin. Why would anyone think it couldn't translate in the SEC?

Good scheme is good scheme. Smart ball is smart ball. Doesn't matter where it's played.

That says it all.

That is not going to be popular with some here but it's very true
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

swinesation

I agree - those two will be hard to replace. If Philon left early, we'd really be depleted of studs. But, yes, there's always hope that someone else will step up. Honestly, this time last year nobody could have guessed the level of play Spaight would attain.

TeedupHigh

I only have one thing to ad, what has happen to all the HATERS would said this style of offense would not work in the SEC?  Have they changed there minds or have they changed teams? 

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: incHOGnito on November 23, 2014, 09:13:00 am
Hey, when its put like this ^^^, I guess I feel even better about what happened.  All the highlight shows this morning have been talking about Bo getting hurt and Bo this and Bo that and absolutely no mention of the fact that Austin Allen came in the game in the 2nd quarter and MOST IMPORTANTLY--he did NOT lose the game for us.  He did exactly what Chaney asked him to do.  Sure it was hand the ball off a lot but he actually made a couple throws for first downs that were key and NOBODY nationally is even saying anything about it. 

All the highlights this morning have been Bo Wallace throwing 2 interceptions. 

BB and staff took a 2nd team QB who hasnt seen much playing time at all and threw him in against one of the top 5 defenses in the nation and he didnt "crack," and for that, I am really really proud of Austin.

HogFoo

Quote from: popcornhog on November 23, 2014, 09:49:35 am
True. And we knew Flowers was a beast. But Spaight? I don't think any of us saw him being this dominant. Hopefully a couple of guys who we don't exoect will step up next year too.
we all heard about spaight from practice but it never truly converted to games. Of course who knows what would have happened had we had Rob smith last year as DC.  I don't care what anyone says. Coaching matters.  Basic fundamentals matters. Tackling. Matters. No silly penalties matters.   I thought when the OM guy threw a punch at Kirkland and DK started to rip the guys head off it was so cool when u see Skipper running over and separating and trying to hold Kirkland back.   

Spaight will be missed and flowers. And some of the other guys like T.mitchell.  it is very nice to have a big time LB playing the way Spaight is right now. I think he has played himself into an  NFL. Career.   I think the hogs will be ok tho.  A guy that really impresses me is Taiwan johnson.   He plays as if he is 300lbs+ but he's only 260ish.  This guy is going to be a stud!   Already is one!  I'm very excited about the future of this team.  Very bright!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Smokehouse

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 23, 2014, 09:36:43 am
Truth is, we had our jumbo package in those times we were inside the 5 so it was pretty much one on one and mano a mano. Collins' semi-leap barely crossed the goal line. I love this team but I don't care who you are facing, if you have the biggest O-Line in football, you gotta be able to get a push of a single yard, as an example.

Agreed. We took, what, eight total shots from the one-yard line across two drives? Need to do better than barely getting one of those in, but I have no doubt we will in the future.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: TeedupHigh on November 23, 2014, 09:59:09 am
I only have one thing to ad, what has happen to all the HATERS would said this style of offense would not work in the SEC?  Have they changed there minds or have they changed teams?

I will say this.  I am not a hater, but I will freely admit that I was skeptical that it would work AT ARKANSAS.  I wasnt skeptical it would work in the SEC. It already does or has at Bama and LSU.  The problem for me was that I felt we would always be trying to do what Bama or LSU does with lesser players and because of that would not be successful enough to actually win the West.

But I have listened to a lot of folks on here and I have heard some coaches like Kevin Sumlin who after playing Arkansas and explaining the intricate ways they block and how you know its coming and sometimes you still cant do anything about it.  I have seen how he gets the kids to believe and how they respond to him and his staff.  I see how BB took less money personally so that he could have a better staff.  Put all this together and I must say I think BB can do it.  I think it just might work, especially if we can upgrade just a tick at QB to get either more mobile OR better arm strength so as to be able to hit an open receiver down field and not be late.  Its power, smash mouth, fundamentally sound football and BB is showing that he can make it work at Arkansas.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogFoo on November 23, 2014, 10:00:49 am
we all heard about spaight from practice but it never truly converted to games. Of course who knows what would have happened had we had Rob smith last year as DC.  I don't care what anyone says. Coaching matters.  Basic fundamentals matters. Tackling. Matters. No silly penalties matters.   I thought when the OM guy threw a punch at Kirkland and DK started to rip the guys head off it was so cool when u see Skipper running over and separating and trying to hold Kirkland back.   

Spaight will be missed and flowers. And some of the other guys like T.mitchell.  it is very nice to have a big time LB playing the way Spaight is right now. I think he has played himself into an  NFL. Career.   I think the hogs will be ok tho.  A guy that really impresses me is Taiwan johnson.   He plays as if he is 300lbs+ but he's only 260ish.  This guy is going to be a stud!   Already is one!  I'm very excited about the future of this team.  Very bright!

I love Spaight. Last year he had a very short time frame to learn the defense and it wasn't this particular scheme. Having an entire off season to learn what Smith was teaching, combined with what seems to be a total dedication to film study of opponents, is reaping huge rewards for Spaight and the Hogs.

And you know, when teammates see the kind of proven success that he is having because of his dedicated study of opponents, guess what happens with other defensive teammates? Yep, more folks spend more time in the film room because they want to be that prepared and successful as well. Success can breed a greater desire to do the things that it takes to be successful.

I wish Spaight had another year of eligibility, but I think that we have some kids playing behind him who will step up and be very good as well.
Go Hogs Go!