Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

With Manny Watkins on the floor

Started by popcornhog, November 22, 2014, 11:12:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

Arkansas: Despite Watkins scoring only six points in 19 minutes, the Razorbacks outscored Delaware State by 21 with him on the court. His plus-21 was the second best for the game, behind Madden's plus-22 in 28 minutes.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/gamecast?gameId=400597296&version=mobile&date=20141121&groupId=23

FYI
WPS

Hooch

He sure did make a difference. 

I think Hog fans need to come to one realization quickly.  If you are going to try to guess or rationalize who should be on the floor over another guy you are going to be disappointed a lot this season. 

I think MA thinks he has 10-11 players that can get it done each night, I don't think your performance unless it is really bad is going to effect your minutes very much.  If you are holding down your role, you are going to get minutes.  If you have a really good game, it was just your night to step up. 

Case in point Manny last night was great everybody is saying get him more minutes.  Wednesday night Durham was great, everyone was saying the same thing. Hell even one of the exhibition games Miles went nuts.   MA is going to roll with the hot hand that night, but everyone is going to get their opportunity to see if it is there night to step up.

I personally love the approach but I know some folks are going to lose their mind when someone like Beard, Manny,  or Baab have a big game and then aren't immediately thrown into the starting 5. 

Danny J

Yeah and I posted really the same thing in another thread last night. When he and Williams entered the game is when we really took off. They spurred the defense especially full court.

popcornhog

November 22, 2014, 11:38:47 am #3 Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:49:15 am by popcornhog
Quote from: Hooch on November 22, 2014, 11:31:28 am

I think Hog fans need to come to one realization quickly.  If you are going to try to guess or rationalize who should be on the floor over another guy you are going to be disappointed a lot this season. 

I think MA thinks he has 10-11 players that can get it done each night, I don't think your performance unless it is really bad is going to effect your minutes very much.  If you are holding down your role, you are going to get minutes.  If you have a really good game, it was just your night to step up. 

Case in point Manny last night was great everybody is saying get him more minutes.  Wednesday night Durham was great, everyone was saying the same thing. Hell even one of the exhibition games Miles went nuts.   MA is going to roll with the hot hand that night, but everyone is going to get their opportunity to see if it is there night to step up.

I personally love the approach but I know some folks are going to lose their mind when someone like Beard, Manny,  or Baab have a big game and then aren't immediately thrown into the starting 5.

Love the depth.

It's not Kentucky depth, but it's great depth. If we beat SMU on Tuesday, we're likely going to Ames for a top 25 match-up.
WPS

Michael11

A top 10 matchup? Am I missing something. You think a win against SMU takes us from being unranked into the top 10?
What
Michael Thomason   Rom. 10:9/2CO.5:21

popcornhog

Quote from: Michael11 on November 22, 2014, 11:48:06 am
A top 10 matchup? Am I missing something. You think a win against SMU takes us from being unranked into the top 10?
What

Lol. Type-o. I meant to type top 25.
WPS

PonderinHog

mhuff

Quote from: Hooch on November 22, 2014, 11:31:28 am

Everyone is not going to have a good game every time. As you've stated ,one night you have this player excel and then another night someone else. Still, if I am a coach and the game is on the line, I want my money players in the line up. I don't want people who take goofy shots nor someone who shoots 50% from the FT line late in a game. If I am pressing I want players who get results. Any coach worth his salt is going to know the stats for various combinations when pressing or playing regular defense. You want money people in there at crunch time.