Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What do expect out of this 2014-2015 basketball team?

Started by elksnort, November 21, 2014, 03:00:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

HogVille is full of polarized opinions and ideas.   You have the hyper critical negative tiype and you have the excuse makers. I'd like to think I'm somewhere in between. 

With this being said, this year this team needs to make the NCAA tournament or I do not consider the season a success. 

I know it was just one game, but the hogs completely dismantled Wake Forest.  Maybe Wake is not so good, but I saw enough from Portis, Williams, Beard, and others to realize that the hogs should be dancing in March.  I'm watching Dayton now and the hogs play them later, so there's plenty of resume material.   

I'm not saying anybody needs to be fired if the hogs don't make the NCAA tournament, but barring injuries, there are no good excuses not to make the NCAA tournament.
Go hogs!

Biggus Piggus

Were no good excuses last season either. C'est la vie.
[CENSORED]!

wupigsuey

I expect our improved guard depth will get us over the hump this year.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

elksnort

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 21, 2014, 03:21:42 pm
ha! You're right but we heard them.

I'm saying project lead this year there should be no excuses.   

RazorPiggie

I expect to be in the tourney. If not, time to move on (barring major injuries).

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

mhuff

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 21, 2014, 03:21:42 pm

I don't believe in excuses. Otherwise, that's all you do.

I want to see good coaching and the Big Dance. You have to own whatever you do. If you can't get it brother, you can't stay. We need this year to work.... it would be disruptive to seek a new coach. I believe this is our year.

Bam, Alright Now

I expect an appearance in the big dance. I have complete faith in Coach A to get us there. Unreal how things have shaken out since 1994-1995, never thought just making the tourney would be a great season. 

HSVhogfan2

"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

opineonswine

I expect continued improvement like we've seen every year since Mike came home.

TheRazorbackGuy

MrKnowItAll

Quote from: opineonswine on November 21, 2014, 05:57:36 pm

Blasphemy !

HiggiePiggy

I was expecting NCAA tournament last year and I am expecting it again this year.  Couple of really terrible losses last year stopped us from getting in.  We have none of that this year and we should be in. 

SEC in basketball is a terrible conference and for us to be bad or mediocre for so many years during this time has been pretty depressing to see.

Mike Anderson has improved each year he has been here and this should be the year he makes it to the dance and then we should be a yearly NCAA tournament team from now on. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

elksnort

Winning a little more than just a few on the road is the next step I think. 

hamARchy in the USA

Probably not much.  That's the trend of MA's career.  Since moving up from UAB to Mizzou he's only had one team show any life.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on November 21, 2014, 07:11:31 pm
Probably not much.  That's the trend of MA's career.  Since moving up from UAB to Mizzou he's only had one team show any life.

He did pretty good at both UAB and Missouri. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

98hogs

HF#1

3 things....

1. Consistency

2. 23+ Wins

3. NCAA Tournament run.  Not just a bid. 

We have all the pieces to do it.  PG's, defense, shooting, inside play, nice balanced schedule.  No reason not to be a Sweet 16 team. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

You serious Clark?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

McKdaddy

23-8 in the reg season.

2nd round...maybe farther, but I "expect" 2nd round.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

jesterzzn

1.  Dominance at home.

2.  Poise on the road.

3.  Aggressiveness always.

4.  A little chippy when appropriate.

Hoggie17

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: McKdaddy on November 21, 2014, 08:44:09 pm
23-8 in the reg season.

2nd round...maybe farther, but I "expect" 2nd round.
I hope we don't lose 8 games .. I hope just 5

ifghog

Danny J

We really aren't missing anything. At the game tonight I came to the conclusion that this team, maybe going back as far as the mid 90's, really isn't missing any key components as far as personnel and what they can offer.

There are no excuses. I don't think we will need excuses. We will know Tuesday night where we stand.

It will come down to the mental toughness of this team. Good teams are mentally tough.

TheRazorback500

I expect them to be able to have the poise to adjust to the way the games are called, especially on the road-those times when it seems like it's 5 on 8 out there. They can't be doing a bunch of hand-slapping trying for steals; our opponents will live at the free throw line.

I also expect them to be able to come up with an effective half-court offense when the situation dictates. Run and gun is fun, but, especially on the road and against top-tier opponents, the winning teams work their offense with the rhythm necessary to produce makeable looks at the end of games. IMO we have the talent and experience to do this.

:razorback:

Do you wanna get Rocked?

z1on

one of the worst posters on hogville

gmarv

take that last step winning on the road,and I think they will.

PonderinHog

GuvHog

Quote from: opineonswine on November 21, 2014, 05:57:36 pm

There was very little improvement in year 2 but there has been Significant improvement the last 2 years. As talented and deep as this team is if they don't at least make the NCAA tournament, something is seriously wrong in BWA. I firmly believe this Hog team is a strong Sweet 16 possibility.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

popcornhog

Quote from: elksnort on November 21, 2014, 03:00:17 pm
HogVille is full of polarized opinions and ideas.   You have the hyper critical negative tiype and you have the excuse makers. I'd like to think I'm somewhere in between. 

With this being said, this year this team needs to make the NCAA tournament or I do not consider the season a success. 

I know it was just one game, but the hogs completely dismantled Wake Forest.  Maybe Wake is not so good, but I saw enough from Portis, Williams, Beard, and others to realize that the hogs should be dancing in March.  I'm watching Dayton now and the hogs play them later, so there's plenty of resume material.   

I'm not saying anybody needs to be fired if the hogs don't make the NCAA tournament, but barring injuries, there are no good excuses not to make the NCAA tournament.
Go hogs!

Tourney is a necessity, but I have no doubts.

I expect 24+ wins with this schedule.  If we split the big four road games against SMU, IA ST, UF, and UK we could be top 15 material.
WPS

passinghog

I hate to put a number on things, but they way things are setting up, it would be somewhat of a disappointment if we don't finish top 2 in the SEC this season. We haven't had a team with this type of talent balance in over 15 years...closer to 20 if you get my drift...

The last team to win a NCAAT game, 2008, had no where near the type and amount of guards or shooters you need to make a run. This team has multiple ball handlers and distributors, proven shooters, a guy that will carry a team if asked (Bobby), versatile defenders, a rim protector, and a guy not afraid of the ball in the clutch (Ky).

Starting next week, I hope we will draw from our experience from last year's close shortcomings on the road and maintain our poise, execute our system. Do that and we'll win. I hope our guys realize their ceiling is very high this season. Am I reaching a bit to think this team has a very high ceiling or not? Honestly I don't think it's that much of a reach.

1highhog

I expect more road wins, not only an NCAA appearance, but a win in the NCAA tourney, if not, we need to go a different direction if all these things don't happen.  Facts are facts.

popcornhog

Quote from: 1highhog on November 22, 2014, 01:27:26 pm
I expect more road wins, not only an NCAA appearance, but a win in the NCAA tourney, if not, we need to go a different direction if all these things don't happen.  Facts are facts.

In terms of where the program is actually headed, the regular season speaks more loudly than the NCAAT.

You can't tell me that if we won like 27 games and got upset in the first round that mike should be canned.

But, yes. It's time to produce this year. Period.
WPS

1highhog

Quote from: popcornhog on November 22, 2014, 02:22:02 pm
In terms of where the program is actually headed, the regular season speaks more loudly than the NCAAT.

You can't tell me that if we won like 27 games and got upset in the first round that mike should be canned.

But, yes. It's time to produce this year. Period.

Well, you get what I'm saying by the rest of your post.  There's no more excuses for Mike.  This is his year to shine, next year I don't think will be as good as this one, so Mike better show some good stuff this year, I don't want to hear about anymore two year passes (or what I remember them called) get out of jail free cards, handed out to Coaches when they know a season is going to be a down season.

WarPig88

Seriously, the basketball program was literally in the crapper in every imaginable way for a decade previous to MA. High turnover, losers mentality, NCAA loss to Bucknell, a conference winning pct in the 30's, a savior recruiting class that would be a complete bust if not for Madden

and there are people on here acting like we should have been dancing last year, no excuses?

You don't change a culture in a blink of an eye, especially when you are having to rely on leadership from people who were a part of that culture.

Now we have exorcised the demons of a losing mentality completely from our roster. The program is finally 100% MA's.

From here on out, there are not any excuses, but those who were whining before must have been napping with Rip Van Winkle the decade previous to MA.

SMH

cj_sez

Expectations:Improvement....some wins on the road...hopefully a few turns on the dance floor.

Dream: 40 Minutes of Hell Part II

popcornhog

Quote from: 1highhog on November 22, 2014, 05:02:56 pm
Well, you get what I'm saying by the rest of your post.  There's no more excuses for Mike.  This is his year to shine, next year I don't think will be as good as this one, so Mike better show some good stuff this year, I don't want to hear about anymore two year passes (or what I remember them called) get out of jail free cards, handed out to Coaches when they know a season is going to be a down season.

Sure, if we miss the post season he should be in the hot seat. But barring major injuries, we'll be in the tourney. I've never been more sure of anything in sports.
WPS

root_hawg

1highhog

Quote from: WarPig88 on November 22, 2014, 06:55:08 pm
Seriously, the basketball program was literally in the crapper in every imaginable way for a decade previous to MA. High turnover, losers mentality, NCAA loss to Bucknell, a conference winning pct in the 30's, a savior recruiting class that would be a complete bust if not for Madden

and there are people on here acting like we should have been dancing last year, no excuses?

You don't change a culture in a blink of an eye, especially when you are having to rely on leadership from people who were a part of that culture.

Now we have exorcised the demons of a losing mentality completely from our roster. The program is finally 100% MA's.

From here on out, there are not any excuses, but those who were whining before must have been napping with Rip Van Winkle the decade previous to MA.

SMH

You're not keeping up.  I've covered all of that.  Despite our Program bring in the Crapper for the better part of a decade, Mike, who by most fans was looked at as a savior for our program is in his 4th year.  In other words, this is his year to put up or shut up in basketball terms.  Next year at this point and time does not appear to be as good as this years team, so you're going to be good with it if Mike don't reach the goals I talked about and others have talked about him reaching this Season?  Then, you must be happy with mediocrity.

Last year half the fans on MMQB wanted to fire our Head Coach after 1/2 a Season, asinine fans, I swear.

Nipsey Mussle

Let's worry about next year..next year. Stop trying to bolster arguments with "well when this time next year we are struggling..."

When did rooting for the team and supporting the coach become so hard? I fended off the idiots who said BB would never get it done. I guess I'm still fending off guys who say MA isn't gonna get it done.
I'm willing to do a "loser leaves Hogville" bet on whether we make the dance or not. We WILL be there. The only variable I'd be worried about is Portis getting injured. Still, bring on the bets.

1highhog

Quote from: BBsTheMan on November 24, 2014, 12:15:05 am
Let's worry about next year..next year. Stop trying to bolster arguments with "well when this time next year we are struggling..."

When did rooting for the team and supporting the coach become so hard? I fended off the idiots who said BB would never get it done. I guess I'm still fending off guys who say MA isn't gonna get it done.
I'm willing to do a "loser leaves Hogville" bet on whether we make the dance or not. We WILL be there. The only variable I'd be worried about is Portis getting injured. Still, bring on the bets.

I think there's no doubt we make the dance this year,  we dang sure better with this team.  It doesn't take a basketball puriest to see this team has some very good talent on it.  Its not to much to ask of CMA to get this team focused on protecting home court, and focusing on winning road games, beating teams you're better than, which is over half the teams in the dang league.  Do that, we might win the West, get a good seed in the Tourney, try to win a game there, I know the pressure cooker gets hot, but I think thy would

Biggus Piggus

I very much like the potential of this bunch. Only thing that could bring them down would be if an internal chemistry problem emerged. It only works if everyone's unselfish.
[CENSORED]!

root_hawg

I believe we have 31 games this year and only play 4 teams that are currently ranked and I am not sure SMU will be ranked after this week so lots of Ws

Kevin

The non conference schedule is much better

Cannot do anything about the league being terrible
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PonderinHog

Quote from: Kevin on November 24, 2014, 08:42:41 am
The non conference schedule is much better

Cannot do anything about the league being terrible
Except kick some ass.

WarPig88

Quote from: 1highhog on November 24, 2014, 12:00:07 am
You're not keeping up.  I've covered all of that.  Despite our Program bring in the Crapper for the better part of a decade, Mike, who by most fans was looked at as a savior for our program is in his 4th year.  In other words, this is his year to put up or shut up in basketball terms.  Next year at this point and time does not appear to be as good as this years team, so you're going to be good with it if Mike don't reach the goals I talked about and others have talked about him reaching this Season?  Then, you must be happy with mediocrity.

Last year half the fans on MMQB wanted to fire our Head Coach after 1/2 a Season, asinine fans, I swear.

Gonna make this succinct for you.

Nolan was better than Eddie Sutton. Sutton is NEVER coming back.

You are the equivalent of the crazy football fans that wanted to fire the football coach.

Happy Thanksgiving! ;D

1highhog

Quote from: WarPig88 on November 24, 2014, 09:52:48 am
Gonna make this succinct for you.

Nolan was better than Eddie Sutton. Sutton is NEVER coming back.

You are the equivalent of the crazy football fans that wanted to fire the football coach.

Happy Thanksgiving! ;D

Your reading comprehension blows.  I just got through saying in my last post about half the fans on MMQB wanted to fire our Head Coach after half a Season, that being an asinine thought by the way.  I was not one of them.  You can check any old post you want, I've been behind the hire of Coach Bret Bielema from the get go and knew it would be a tough transition, it would have been for any Coach, nobody seemed to look at what dumpster fire he was jumping into, CBP never caring about recruiting much on defense, not caring the last year he was here about recruiting at all because he was getting his pecker polished, then Smiley making us lose a whole year on recruiting.  That's the only thing by the way I blame Jeff Long for by the way, is hiring that idiot for a Season, other than that, he's done a good job as AD.  Him getting rid of Petrino was his best thing he's done on the job, besides hiring Bielema, firing our womens basketball Coach finally, and all of the building projects that's being done at the UofA.  I've never wavered in my support in CBB, any so called football fan can see he's building this team for long term success, it's not a bandaid fix he's doing. 

As I've stated, I like Mike, but this is his 4th year, and it's time to produce big, next year will not be as good as this year, so what are you going to say then?