Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Miss State Tanks Texas QB Commit / Recruit

Started by SpringTxHOG, November 21, 2014, 11:28:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

How do they have 30 commits? Can't they only sign 25?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 21, 2014, 11:37:18 am
Well perhaps such "hocus-pocus" on the part of Misery State explains why they so many commits.

ARtillahog

I think the only way is if they only signed 20 last year.  And another reason they are starting to ask kids to grey-shirt.

jm

They are simply getting as many commits as possible and will cut some loose at the last minute knowing alot of classes will fill up. It's the old "atleast we won't have to play against him" game.

hawgwash

Their success this year has probably generated a lot of interest from recruits that they never expected to have a shot at.  This kind of BS is what is really happening when people say "the numbers will work themselves out". 

RazorPiggie

I could see doing it to a kid that would enroll next fall but not a kid that is set to graduate early. Pretty crappy by Mullen.

Side note they signed 24 last year according to 24/7.

Only reason I can see it happening with a fall kid is because it happens at every school every year. Its the name of the game.

hoggusamoungus

RazorPiggie

hawgwash

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on November 21, 2014, 12:43:41 pm
Isn't this how we landed Philon from Bama?
Yes except he was a spring graduate and I think he got even less notice from Saban than this kid got from Mullen.

yraciv

It was bound to happen with all those commits.   Not saying it's right, but it's the cutthroat nature of recruiting, and we were guilty of it time and time again back in Hootie's days.  Right before graduation is about as bad as it gets though.  He committed all the way back in May, and they got a 2nd quarterback in June.  Looks pretty clear to me they evaluated them all season with the intention of doing this to the worse one.

Timing wise this is awful though.  He has a month to find a school that doesn't have a QB commit or is willing to take a 2nd, and most of his early suitors have probably moved on.  He also has playoffs to worry about.

crabeyes

Quote from: hawgwash on November 21, 2014, 12:44:56 pm
Yes except he was a spring graduate and I think he got even less notice from Saban than this kid got from Mullen.

Philon found out on signing day.

The_Iceman

AugustaHog

I think it's a very unfortunate part of the business.  It's no different than a kid decommitting at next to no notice.  This was all handled poorly.  I'm of the belief that you don't commit or accept a commit unless you are sure that is what you want.  I hope the kid finds a great spot to land so that he can get there by January.

hawgwash

These situations are one reason I often think it would be best to allow kids to sign much earlier.  Signing would bind both the school and the kid.  Don't offer if you don't mean it.  And don't sign if you aren't truly committed.

SDZ_Hog

I was told whether or not you make it to campus if you sign a letter of intent with a school it still counts towards the 25 per year limit.  They signed 24 in 2014.  Only 20 enrolled. Of those 20, two enrolled in Jan and could be counted back to 2013.  So really 22 signed in 2014 allowing them to sign 28 in 2015 class.    Just a SWAG. I'm not 100% sure.

The real Hogules

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tennessee have similar issues as we get closer to NSD.
It happens far more often than most would imagine.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

SDZ_Hog

Quote from: The real Hogules on November 21, 2014, 01:31:38 pm
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tennessee have similar issues as we get closer to NSD.
It happens far more often than most would imagine.
They signed 32 and all enrolled last year.  They have 26 commits so far.

wholehog92

That was a bad move by Mullen.  You don't ask an early grad kid to grey shirt.  It means they have a whole year of school to cover instead of just a semester.  The kid committed early and let you know, you assume he expects the same respect.

It is part of the bad side of recruiting and certainly no secret that it happens.  The kid's HS coach really needed to let the kid know MS. St. had a lot of commits and could only take so many of them and that he should press them and clarify.  That's part of what your HS coach should be doing to protect their players.  They have seen the recruiting game before.  The parents and kid have not.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

ricepig

I'm guessing he hadn't signed a FAA, I don't know if he held off or they didn't offer one. If they hadn't offered one, that should have been an indication something was up.

AugustaHog

I hope that this coach has sway in the state of Texas and he can run their name down in those parts.  If so, MSU can forget about delving into Texas for many recruits. 

redeye

Quote from: AugustaHog on November 21, 2014, 01:23:21 pm
I hope the kid finds a great spot to land so that he can get there by January.

Did you see his offer list?  I doubt he'll have a problem finding another school.

SpringTxHOG

Augusta - I can tell you for certain - HDN pulled this on a Houston Westfield player and that killed The Hogs in the Houston area for a while.  I personally know several H.S. coaches and they have all said Ark had a lot to prove, with regards to taking care of their players.  They respect what BB is doing and would not hesitate to send their players his way.  This will hurt MSU...Texas coaches talk and this will get around.  They also don't like Charlie Strong - see his class rank compared to Mack's. 

LJHOG

The kid has an offer from Florida.  He will be in Gainsville this fall playing for Dan Mullen.

Kevin

Mullen will not be coaching the gators next year
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on November 21, 2014, 01:33:05 pm
They signed 32 and all enrolled last year.  They have 26 commits so far.
howdufugg did they sign 32!?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

LJHOG

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 21, 2014, 08:26:16 pm
howdufugg did they sign 32!?

Well, they were able to count back some, some grey shifted, and some paid their own way from what I understand. I'm sure someone will correct that.

greenie

Quote from: ricepig on November 21, 2014, 09:59:47 pm
Well, they were able to count back some, some grey shifted, and some paid their own way from what I understand. I'm sure someone will correct that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, rice, but if they gray shirted anyone last year, wouldn't that count against their 25 for this year?  Its got to catch up with them eventually.

arkmark

Karma.  The #1 recruit from the state of Texas, Anthony Hines, an outside linebacker with some 50 offers, has pulled his commitment to Starkville.  His father in a tweet stated the pulled commitment from the Texas QB had something to do with Hines reopening his recruiting.  Looks like Mullen ticked off some Texas folks and maybe some coaches.  What goes around comes around.

ricepig

Quote from: greenie on November 21, 2014, 10:09:21 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, rice, but if they gray shirted anyone last year, wouldn't that count against their 25 for this year?  Its got to catch up with them eventually.

Yeah, I don't know how they did it, maybe they're going to grey shirt this whole class, haha.

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

tophawg19

Quote from: arkmark on November 21, 2014, 10:22:41 pm
Karma.  The #1 recruit from the state of Texas, Anthony Hines, an outside linebacker with some 50 offers, has pulled his commitment to Starkville.  His father in a tweet stated the pulled commitment from the Texas QB had something to do with Hines reopening his recruiting.  Looks like Mullen ticked off some Texas folks and maybe some coaches.  What goes around comes around.
wonder if this is one of the kids contacting CBB ?
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Uncommon

I love this because it is kind of a balancer for coaches oversigning.  If you pull an offer from a committed kid who doesn't have a grade or off the field issue, be prepared for the music.

greenie

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 21, 2014, 10:40:44 pm
wonder if this is one of the kids contacting CBB ?

I think the Hines kid is a 2017 graduate.

redeye

Quote from: greenie on November 21, 2014, 10:52:20 pm
I think the Hines kid is a 2017 graduate.

Well, we know he's open to leaving the state.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Kevin on November 21, 2014, 04:17:24 pm
Mullen will not be coaching the gators next year

And it's because he's a scumbag.

Boarcephus

Quote from: crabeyes on November 21, 2014, 01:12:52 pm
Philon found out on signing day.

I felt for the Philon that day.  That was devastating to him and it was evident.  Pulled for that guy ever since. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 22, 2014, 07:54:20 am
I felt for the Philon that day.  That was devastating to him and it was evident.  Pulled for that guy ever since. 

I think it is devastating to any kid to whom that happens. While recruiting is a wacky and ever-evolving process, if a staff is going to offer a kid a scholarship in the absence of talking to him up front about grey-shirting, then they need to stand by that. That's a typical bait and switch. There is absolutely no good reason to do that to any kid or his family, though it probably happens far more often than we realize.

So glad we got Philon and the kid just seems to continue to get better. Love that kid.
Go Hogs Go!

hoglady

The problem for this kid is he's graduating early ( in a couple of weeks ) - and had made plans to start Ms. St. in January. Short time for him to find somewhere else to go.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hog_Fink

yeah, it's crappy, but it's a business.
Schools can't be the only ones left vulnerable
when kids commit & string it out til the last second & flip

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on November 23, 2014, 12:03:18 pm
The problem for this kid is he's graduating early ( in a couple of weeks ) - and had made plans to start Ms. St. in January. Short time for him to find somewhere else to go.

Well, he doesn't have to go anywhere in January, he can sit at home, or more than likely continue on with his high school. Tons of kids have enough credits to leave at semester, but continue on until May graduation.

Calling All Hogs

Hope this kid is the next Johnny Football and it comes back to haunt Mullen (unless he goes to Auburn, of course).