Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Film Study: Better beat Arkansas while you can

Started by SECisKing, November 21, 2014, 11:02:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SECisKing

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/film-study-better-beat-arkansas-can/

What's going on, folks?

My name is Murf Baldwin and I write for SaturdayDownSouth.com covering the entire Southeastern Conference. I have a "longform" piece w/ Xs and Os about your beloved Hogs and why I feel they will make some serious impact as soon as next season.

Scheme, personnel and coaching will separate Arkansas from the rest...so let me know what you guys think if you get around to checking it out if full.

Thanks
SEC writer/analysis for Saturday Down South
Co-host of "Ball Hawg" radio podcast
Twitter: @MurfBaldwin

Hollywood_HOGan45

hoghevn

Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

SECisKing

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on November 21, 2014, 11:11:10 am
Loved the highlight of Philon.
I love me some DP, Hollywood. I think he's as special as it gets and is a scheme-specific fit for that Smith defense. He needs to get some national love, bro.

Thanks for the read. And I, too, loved some Hollywood Hogan!

tolerati

I like it.  Hope it comes to pass as you suggest.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

SECisKing

Quote from: hoghevn on November 21, 2014, 11:18:04 am
Great site!  Thanks.  Will bookmsrk

SDS is a wonderful site, Hevn. I'm sure you'll find something you'll like...

SECisKing

Quote from: tolerati on November 21, 2014, 11:18:54 am
I like it.  Hope it comes to pass as you suggest.

It will, Tolerati! You can't fake toughness in this league and I felt as soon as I heard my guy Bielema was on board that it was going to be a quick jump back to prominence. Eventually he will get a QB of his own and we will really see what this squad is made of. Wouldn't be surprised is another Russell Wilson situation develops as I'm sure some good transfer-eligible senior will want to try to replicate the process, ya know?

But hopefully Allen takes that next step.

AugustaHog

Good info.  I think you will see the additions to the WR corps you are looking for in this next class.  If they are instant difference makers, we will be a real handful offensively next season.

SECisKing

Quote from: AugustaHog on November 21, 2014, 11:26:31 am
Good info.  I think you will see the additions to the WR corps you are looking for in this next class.  If they are instant difference makers, we will be a real handful offensively next season.

You think so, Augusta? Please spill the beans on the recruits for me. Any size/speed combo guys? And what would you think of Sprinkle catching time as a boundary receiver?

Fort Dweller

Quote from: SECisKing on November 21, 2014, 11:18:31 am
I love me some DP

Since I'm an immature child at heart, I stopped reading right here and laughed.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Hogaholism

SECisKing

demonHOG1013

ARtillahog

Quote from: SECisKing on November 21, 2014, 11:28:22 am
You think so, Augusta? Please spill the beans on the recruits for me. Any size/speed combo guys? And what would you think of Sprinkle catching time as a boundary receiver?

K.J. Hill (6'0" 190 4.42), Deon Stewart (6'1" 165) and hopefully Dominique Reed JUCO (Legit 4.3 speed 6'3" 180) (rumored he will commit to the Hogs if his grades checkout).  Lamichael Pettway (6'3" 200 4.5) is listed as an athlete that puts up great numbers as a WR and at S.  To be determined where he will play once he reaches the hill, most seem to think he will be a WR.

SECisKing

010HogFan

Awesome breakdown. KJ Hill is the gamebreaking receiver you say we need. Imagine this weapon in our current offense!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHhsuwpE03s

SECisKing

Quote from: ARtillahog on November 21, 2014, 11:57:49 am
K.J. Hill (6'0" 190 4.42), Deon Stewart (6'1" 165) and hopefully Dominique Reed JUCO (Legit 4.3 speed 6'3" 180) (rumored he will commit to the Hogs if his grades checkout).  Lamichael Pettway (6'3" 200 4.5) is listed as an athlete that puts up great numbers as a WR and at S.  To be determined where he will play once he reaches the hill, most seem to think he will be a WR.

Artilla, I believe I've heard great things about Hill and Pettway. I love listening to the many different Arkansas sports radio stations and I came across a show that focuses on recruiting and they were all over those two. I appreciate the heads up. I'm sure I'll be checking them out ASAP.

SECisKing

Quote from: 010HogFan on November 21, 2014, 12:00:33 pm
Awesome breakdown. KJ Hill is the gamebreaking receiver you say we need. Imagine this weapon in our current offense!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHhsuwpE03s
Yo Hog Fan, thanks for sharing. I just watched that whole thing and I must say, he's Jarius Wright nasty! He has great body control; he can leap; he's good after the catch, too.

But as I'm sure you guys know, his blocking is as important. I'd like to see an actual game game and see how he performs in that aspect. Hatcher is actually a pretty willing blocker. But you're right that's the gamebreaker you guys need!!

Good stuff.

wupigsuey

Good stuff, Murf. I agree completely with the notion that it is more the receivers than the QB. Brandon is serviceable at qb. Not great but serviceable.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

ARtillahog

Quote from: SECisKing on November 21, 2014, 12:01:58 pm
Artilla, I believe I've heard great things about Hill and Pettway. I love listening to the many different Arkansas sports radio stations and I came across a show that focuses on recruiting and they were all over those two. I appreciate the heads up. I'm sure I'll be checking them out ASAP.

If the current receivers would just catch the catchable balls Allen throws, I think this season might be a win or two better than it already is.  There have been several instances where Allen looks like a super QB to only have the WR drop it.  But then on the other hand Allen has been known to over/under throw a WR by 5-8 yards.  Earlier in the season Allen would take off and run a little if the situation was right, he seems to have given that up as the season progressed.

Hawgey-Davidson

Murf, I like your thinking. Real excited about the future. Thanks for your optimism most Hog fans have. Nice article. Couldnt have said it better. Thats why you get paid to write and I read for free. Welcome to the best fan board on the interweb.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: SECisKing on November 21, 2014, 12:06:59 pm
Yo Hog Fan, thanks for sharing. I just watched that whole thing and I must say, he's Jarius Wright nasty! He has great body control; he can leap; he's good after the catch, too.

But as I'm sure you guys know, his blocking is as important. I'd like to see an actual game game and see how he performs in that aspect. Hatcher is actually a pretty willing blocker. But you're right that's the gamebreaker you guys need!!

Good stuff.

Adding three exceptional Tight Ends this year as well:

Austin Cantrell   6'3",  249 lbs  Roland, OK
CJ O'Grady        6'4",  230 lbs  Fayetteville, AR
Will Gragg         6'4",  241 lbs  Dumas, AR (Brother Chris Gragg plays for the Bills)

Add those to Henry, Sprinkle, and Voelzke. Should be something to see next year.
This is my non-signature signature.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Welcome to hogville and good article. A&m score is flip flipped tho. You have it 38-25, but it was 35-28. Really good article tho, I liked the video clips within it to help establish your point.

Redhogs

Thanks for the great article.....we've been wondering in the wilderness for almost 3 years now..waaay to long.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

SECisKing

Quote from: wupigsuey on November 21, 2014, 12:15:01 pm
Good stuff, Murf. I agree completely with the notion that it is more the receivers than the QB. Brandon is serviceable at qb. Not great but serviceable.

Great minds think alike, WPS!!! Allen would be as good as Blake Sims is if he were at Bama with those weapons on the outside. And it's arguable that Sims is the best QB in the entire conference. He certainly is from a statistical standpoint.

SECisKing

Quote from: ARtillahog on November 21, 2014, 12:18:34 pm
If the current receivers would just catch the catchable balls Allen throws, I think this season might be a win or two better than it already is.  There have been several instances where Allen looks like a super QB to only have the WR drop it.  But then on the other hand Allen has been known to over/under throw a WR by 5-8 yards.  Earlier in the season Allen would take off and run a little if the situation was right, he seems to have given that up as the season progressed.

Quoted for truth. Just waiting for Hatcher to take that next step that we all think he will. But he needs consistency like my guy Henry. That kid is special.

SECisKing

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on November 21, 2014, 12:21:58 pm
Murf, I like your thinking. Real excited about the future. Thanks for your optimism most Hog fans have. Nice article. Couldnt have said it better. Thats why you get paid to write and I read for free. Welcome to the best fan board on the interweb.

Hawgey, haha. Although I get paid to write, you guys here have plenty of knowledge. I've read here before because one of my other articles was mentioned here by someone. Lots of knowledge on this board.

Glad to be here, too. Always been an admirer of Arkansas since the Matt Jones days when I was in high school. Loved me some DeCori Birmingham...Biggest fan of that Houston Nutt/David Lee/Gus Malzahn era.

I'm from Atlanta but I still loved the stylings of Petrino although my whole state loathes him, haha. Big Ryan Mallett fan, too. Cobi Hamilton, Greg Childs, J. Wright, Marcus Monk, Knile Davis etc. I even liked Michael Smith the RB. That was my dude. Love him on radio as well.

Good stuff coming from your state.

SECisKing

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on November 21, 2014, 12:35:05 pm
Welcome to hogville and good article. A&m score is flip flipped tho. You have it 38-25, but it was 35-28. Really good article tho, I liked the video clips within it to help establish your point.

Thanks for the welcome and the heads up on that score. Although I doubt I change it haha. But I appreciate the read and glad you like the accompanying clips, IBRR

SECisKing

Quote from: Redhogs on November 21, 2014, 12:39:51 pm
Thanks for the great article.....we've been wondering in the wilderness for almost 3 years now..waaay to long.

Thanks for the read and response, Redhogs. Yeah three years is waaay too long for a program like y'all have to be in the wilderness. When y'all get back, nobody will even remember last season and the John L. Smith error haha

Thanks again, bro.

SECisKing

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 21, 2014, 12:29:50 pm
Adding three exceptional Tight Ends this year as well:

Austin Cantrell   6'3",  249 lbs  Roland, OK
CJ O'Grady        6'4",  230 lbs  Fayetteville, AR
Will Gragg         6'4",  241 lbs  Dumas, AR (Brother Chris Gragg plays for the Bills)

Add those to Henry, Sprinkle, and Voelzke. Should be something to see next year.

Grober, that's what I'm talking about. I'm honestly more concerned with the "Y" position as Bielema's scheme puts those in the pros at a rapid clip. I will definitely check them out. I love some Chris Gragg, so I'll definitely check out his lil brother.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: SECisKing on November 21, 2014, 01:00:20 pm
Grober, that's what I'm talking about. I'm honestly more concerned with the "Y" position as Bielema's scheme puts those in the pros at a rapid clip. I will definitely check them out. I love some Chris Gragg, so I'll definitely check out his lil brother.

This recruiting class is shaping up very well to address some depth issues we have across the board (see Auburn/aTm games for our OL issues).

We have some players strategically redshirted this year to develop themselves for SEC play. (Cole Hedlund & Brian Wallace are good examples) and JoJo Robinson (4* WR) was redshirted for injury issues early in the season.

I like where we'll be in 12 months. 
This is my non-signature signature.

younghog

GO HOGS

DoctorSusscrofa

Tried to read it on my iPhone but while reading I kept getting sent to the App Store for a game. Each time I closed the App Store and reopened the article, the App Store reopened every time. So I won't be reading the article or future articles from this source.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

SECisKing

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 21, 2014, 01:27:19 pm
Tried to read it on my iPhone but while reading I kept getting sent to the App Store for a game. Each time I closed the App Store and reopened the article, the App Store reopened every time. So I won't be reading the article or future articles from this source.
Sorry that happened to you, Doc. I just tried it on my iPhone and it didn't do that. I'll send that to the admins over there and see what's going on.

Sorry, my man.

SECisKing

SECisKing

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 21, 2014, 01:14:14 pm
This recruiting class is shaping up very well to address some depth issues we have across the board (see Auburn/aTm games for our OL issues).

We have some players strategically redshirted this year to develop themselves for SEC play. (Cole Hedlund & Brian Wallace are good examples) and JoJo Robinson (4* WR) was redshirted for injury issues early in the season.

I like where we'll be in 12 months.

Noted...And yeah I saw the depth probs on the O-line. But I love that starting 5. Denver Kirkland is going to be a start. I hear Shawn Andrews was impressed with him, too. That's high praise.

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hawgey-Davidson

Keep posting Murf. 50 will get u in the Tavern! Lotta goings on up in there.

Doug

Murf, tie your Hogville account in with your Twitter account. I'll give you a bit of love via my personal Twitter and Hogville's twitter accounts (good read; needs to be shared)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

SECisKing

SECisKing

Quote from: Doug on November 21, 2014, 11:08:45 pm
Murf, tie your Hogville account in with your Twitter account. I'll give you a bit of love via my personal Twitter and Hogville's twitter accounts (good read; needs to be shared)

Doug, I'll definitely do that, bro. But I just want to ingratiate myself with the folks of Hogville. You guys rock.

Edit: Couldn't find the post until I saw you made it a sticky. That's awesome. WPS to that!!

SECisKing

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on November 21, 2014, 05:19:05 pm
Keep posting Murf. 50 will get u in the Tavern! Lotta goings on up in there.

I'll get there, no doubt. Gotta pop back up in here to see you guys' thoughts on the Ole Miss game. And whenever I get a break from writing lol. So I got you, HD.

Darren DeLoach

Sick stuff SiK......

Welcome to the board. Beyond the vitriol and agendas, Hogville has some of the most knowledgeable fans of any fan base in college sports. Look forward to more breakdowns of our beloved Hawgs.  Blessings.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Hoggish1

Doug

Quote from: SECisKingI'm from Atlanta but I still loved the stylings of Petrino although my whole state loathes him, haha.
Well, not Atlanta directly, but close enough. ;) (I'm actually in Stone Mountain, myself (the city, not the park) - western edge of it.)

Quote from: SECisKingDoug, I'll definitely do that, bro. But I just want to ingratiate myself with the folks of Hogville. You guys rock.

Edit: Couldn't find the post until I saw you made it a sticky. That's awesome. WPS to that!!
Twitter pushes done... I'm not the one that stickied it... you'll need to thank one of the other Mods for doing that. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

zane

RIP LSUfan

SECisKing

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on November 22, 2014, 02:21:50 am
Sick stuff SiK......

Welcome to the board. Beyond the vitriol and agendas, Hogville has some of the most knowledgeable fans of any fan base in college sports. Look forward to more breakdowns of our beloved Hawgs.  Blessings.

Thanks, Darren! I'll definitely scoop you guys to when I do more stuff on them Hogs. It's not out of the realm of possibility that I look to branch out to a Hog-specific site as I really like breaking down the team.

But I agree, lots of knowledge over here.

SECisKing

Quote from: Doug on November 22, 2014, 08:53:49 am
Well, not Atlanta directly, but close enough. ;) (I'm actually in Stone Mountain, myself (the city, not the park) - western edge of it.)
Twitter pushes done... I'm not the one that stickied it... you'll need to thank one of the other Mods for doing that. :)

lol I'm not quite in Atlanta, either. But it makes it easy for everyone to just say Atlanta. I'm from Gwinnett (Snellville/Lawrenceville) but now live in Winder.

But I appreciate the look on Twitter, and I appreciate the sticky from whichever mod hooked me up, too.

SECisKing

DeltaBoy

Sooie Pigs Sooie the darkness has passed into glorious light of day.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.