Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SMU game is looming larger...

Started by Swinesong1, November 20, 2014, 10:15:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Swinesong1

They lost again tonight.  We cannot lose to them if we are to be taken seriously come selection time.

BadHog

We will not lose to Schmoo!  :) :razorback:
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

-Blu

Quote from: Swinesong1 on November 20, 2014, 10:15:04 pm
They lost again tonight.  We cannot lose to them if we are to be taken seriously come selection time.

I'd pump the brakes on that thought.  It's still really early, and SMU is missing their second best player until December.  I've watched their last 2 games, and they lost to a really good Gonzaga team on the road, that's easily a top 10 team right now. And they lost to Indiana, a team they should probably have beaten, but it's still Indiana and on the road, so it's nothing shocking or anything that's going to kill their RPI.  If you look at their schedule they have more than enough time for redemption and to live up to their expectations.

With that said, I do like our chances a little more after watching them play.  Outside of Nic Moore, their guard play isn't that impressive, they had a bunch of turnovers against Indiana.  They do have a big front line and their bigs are very active on the glass, the key for us is to not let them kill us on the glass,  If we can do that, and play our press as effective as we did against WF, then we should be able to come out of Dallas with a win.

Beaverfever

SMU was overrated as hell last year.  They are obviously well coached and did a good job winning some tough close games last year.  I wasn't buying for a second that they had a good chance of beating Gozaga on the road this early.  Gonzaga is legit. 

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Beaverfever on November 21, 2014, 02:30:39 am
SMU was overrated as hell last year.  They are obviously well coached and did a good job winning some tough close games last year.  I wasn't buying for a second that they had a good chance of beating Gozaga on the road this early.  Gonzaga is legit. 

Also glad that Mudiay went to play in China.... one and done went overseas!

Swinesong1

Quote from: -Blu on November 20, 2014, 11:59:41 pm
I'd pump the brakes on that thought.  It's still really early, and SMU is missing their second best player until December.  I've watched their last 2 games, and they lost to a really good Gonzaga team on the road, that's easily a top 10 team right now. And they lost to Indiana, a team they should probably have beaten, but it's still Indiana and on the road, so it's nothing shocking or anything that's going to kill their RPI.  If you look at their schedule they have more than enough time for redemption and to live up to their expectations.

With that said, I do like our chances a little more after watching them play.  Outside of Nic Moore, their guard play isn't that impressive, they had a bunch of turnovers against Indiana.  They do have a big front line and their bigs are very active on the glass, the key for us is to not let them kill us on the glass,  If we can do that, and play our press as effective as we did against WF, then we should be able to come out of Dallas with a win.
Here's why I said what I said:  If we win, it's on the road against a team who will look better at end of the year than they do now.  If we lose, it's another road loss versus a team without it's second best player.  We've got to take advantage of this opportunity IMO.

-Blu

Quote from: Swinesong1 on November 21, 2014, 08:00:21 am
Here's why I said what I said:  If we win, it's on the road against a team who will look better at end of the year than they do now.  If we lose, it's another road loss versus a team without it's second best player.  We've got to take advantage of this opportunity IMO.

No doubt about what your saying here ^ , it's a very winnable game that we need to take advantage of.  I'm not trying to down play that, it's a very big game for us.  I was addressing the comment below.  I don't think we won't be taken serious if we lose to SMU on the road.  Last time I looked we were the underdog, with their loss to Indiana, that could have changed though, I haven't checked.  But, even so SMU is still a top 30 team IMO, probably better than that.  They just started off with 2 tough road games.

We cannot lose to them if we are to be taken seriously come selection time.

Swinesong1

Quote from: -Blu on November 21, 2014, 10:19:56 am
No doubt about what your saying here ^ , it's a very winnable game that we need to take advantage of.  I'm not trying to down play that, it's a very big game for us.  I was addressing the comment below.  I don't think we won't be taken serious if we lose to SMU on the road.  Last time I looked we were the underdog, with their loss to Indiana, that could have changed though, I haven't checked.  But, even so SMU is still a top 30 team IMO, probably better than that.  They just started off with 2 tough road games.
If we were to be a "bubble team", I can almost guarantee a road loss to an SMU team minus it's second best player will be used against us come selection/seeding time.  I agree SMU will be ranked higher and seen more favorably once Kennedy returns but down the road losing to them NOW could bite us.

The_Iceman

Need to win this game. The problem is, I think SMU will be due for a turnaround game at home next week after these two losses.

mhuff

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 21, 2014, 10:42:21 am
Need to win this game. The problem is, I think SMU will be due for a turnaround game at home next week after these two losses.

We should learn about the character of this team when we go on the road. We just have to take it from SMU and keep our foot on their neck. We can not let up if we get ahead or the refs will start with the touch fouls. We just need to play our game ....not theirs.

mbgrulz

My take is that I'm going to get even more pumped about this team if we go in there and win...That would show amazing toughness IMO...However, if we lose, it won't change my opinion that we are a tournament team.

We need to get 1 of the 3 OOC roadies. 2 would be GREAT!

40MINSOFHELL

poloprince

Quote from: mbgrulz on November 21, 2014, 11:29:22 am
My take is that I'm going to get even more pumped about this team if we go in there and win...That would show amazing toughness IMO...However, if we lose, it won't change my opinion that we are a tournament team.

We need to get 1 of the 3 OOC roadies. 2 would be GREAT!

We will win at Clemson for sure.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Rawker

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 21, 2014, 10:42:21 am

Woooooord.  Plus we all know that the crazy Hawgball defense that shows up in BWA is replaced with apprehension and conservative defense on the road.

LA Football fan

With our spastic play in road games I don't count any road games as a victory until it is in the bank.  MA has not shown the ability as a head coach to overcome how his system is officiated on the road.  Throw in our erratic shooting and you have a recipe for losing games that you should probably win.  Clemson and SMU will be tough games to win no matter what we think about their skill level.  You can bet the Clemson players won't forget how we ran them out of the gym here last year.  They will be pumped and looking for revenge.  We will not sneak up on them.  We will have to fight tooth and nail in that game to come home with a win. 

Everyone saw how we collapsed at the end the season last year by losing very winnable games on the road.  I think this team has more than enough ability to overcome the road bias in officiating in this conference as well as others, but we won't know that until they actually prove it.   How many times have we gone into road games thinking there is no way we won't come away with a win and just throw up a putrid performance and get hammered.  This team doesn't rebound good enough to overcome bad shooting nights on the road. 

mhuff

Quote from: Rawker on November 21, 2014, 03:18:32 pm
Woooooord.  Plus we all know that the crazy Hawgball defense that shows up in BWA is replaced with apprehension and conservative defense on the road.

I do not ever support a reason for losing. If you think we're not going to win cause they're due for a turn around win, you're already making excuses. How about we play one game at a time and come up with a game plan for just that game. They have to take it from us..... as long as we are not willing to give it away.

TX HOG

they seem pretty proud of their tickets.  hard to find much for less than $70 each...

SPAL

Quote from: mhuff on November 21, 2014, 04:24:14 pm
I do not ever support a reason for losing. If you think we're not going to win cause they're due for a turn around win, you're already making excuses. How about we play one game at a time and come up with a game plan for just that game. They have to take it from us..... as long as we are not willing to give it away.

Good lord.... losing is inevitable.  It will happen. And there will be reasons why we lose. You can accept that or don't,  but it doesn't change anything except your viewing pleasure.

PonderinHog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 22, 2014, 12:39:30 pm
Good lord.... losing is inevitable.  It will happen. And there will be reasons why we lose. You can accept that or don't,  but it doesn't change anything except your viewing pleasure.
But can't we delay it for as long as possible, for a change ??? 

HF#1

We beat them last year, we will beat them this year.  It will be a comfy 10+ point victory.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

mbgrulz

jry04

SMU will be in the NCAAT, so in the long run it will not be a bad loss. The good news is, they should have a good crowd and we know how much better we play in full arenas. The Clemson game may be a bigger worry because they will have about 10 people in the stands.

In all seriousness, this I'd a big game. Win and we will likely be able to find ourselves in the top 25 prior to the Iowa st game.

Kevin

football is going to a bowl in year 2 of a major rebuild.

i don't think it is too much to ask for the basketball team to make the ncaa tournament in year 4.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

popcornhog

Quote from: Kevin on November 23, 2014, 08:29:41 am

i don't think it is too much to ask for the basketball team to make the ncaa tournament in year 4.

Agree.

And we will be in the tourney. This is gonna be a fun year.
WPS

Swinesong1

You can actually finish .500 and go to a bowl.  But carry on...

The_Iceman

There is no denying Mike's rebuild has taken a little longer than we would have liked. I won't mind in the end if we does get us there and we sustain it.

poloprince

Going to a low tier bowl does not compare to getting into the field of 68 and competing for a title, but carry on.........
$PoLoPrInCe$

jry04

Quote from: poloprince on November 23, 2014, 11:13:15 am
Going to a low tier bowl does not compare to getting into the field of 68 and competing for a title, but carry on.........
I get your point, but I feel like the football team getting to a bowl this year is a lot bigger of an achievement than the Hogs getting to the NCAAT. I feel like we are to the point where we should expect to make the NCAAT. This team is good enough to make it to the Sweet 16, so simply making the NCAAT, while will be an accomplishment, will not be as remarkable as the football team making a bowl this season.

Hawg Red

Quote from: poloprince on November 23, 2014, 11:13:15 am

Getting to a lower tier bowl in Year 2 (in the absolute toughest conference and division in the country) after winning no conference games in the first year is better than not making the NIT until Year 3 (in a very weak SEC), though. Just my opinion. I fully support both coaching staffs but Bielema CLEARLY got his program turned around much quicker, against much stiffer competition, and dug out of a bigger hole.

WorfHog

Both coaches faced a bad situation and have turned it around. Making the tournament will always be the expectation for Mike going forward and I think 7 or 8 wins will be the low end expectation for Bret.  I think the sky's the limit on the other side. There is no reason we can't compete at the highest level in both sports going forward.

TomBigBeeHog

How does football relate to the OP?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Swinesong1

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 23, 2014, 07:37:09 pm
How does football relate to the OP?
It doesn't.  But this is one of the reasons the anti-Anderson people were hoping for "success" in football.

jackflash

I like SMU head coach, they will be ready to play. If anyone can game plan for the Hogs it will be their HC

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: jackflash on November 24, 2014, 12:55:17 pm
I like SMU head coach, they will be ready to play. If anyone can game plan for the Hogs it will be their HC

Why was he not able to game plan for Gonzaga and an unranked Indiana team? Just wondering.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 24, 2014, 01:36:43 pm
Why was he not able to game plan for Gonzaga and an unranked Indiana team? Just wondering.
Apparently he can only game plan for the hogs

jry04

Beaverfever

Looks like it's already 4.5.  Still a couple points higher than I would have figured.  It's crazy how much home court means to the hogs.  We'd be at least a 5 point favorite at home.

jry04

Quote from: Beaverfever on November 24, 2014, 04:25:18 pm
Looks like it's already 4.5.  Still a couple points higher than I would have figured.  It's crazy how much home court means to the hogs.  We'd be at least a 5 point favorite at home.
Or how much playing on the road goes against the Hogs. I expected it to be SMU -1 or -2. -5.5 to open is quite a bit. Hopefully we do not prove vegas right.

HF#1

We beat them last year and they don't seem to be as good this year.  Not too worried about this game. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

jry04

Quote from: HF#1 on November 24, 2014, 05:53:50 pm
We beat them last year and they don't seem to be as good this year.  Not too worried about this game. 
This logic rarely works. Hope you are right, but every year is different.

mhuff

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 22, 2014, 12:39:30 pm

Good Lord Sir Pigs a Lot. Everybody loses at some time or another.... man you are spot on. Still, I don't go into a game expecting to lose or making excuses to lose beforehand. You can accept that or don't. I don't propose to tell you what you should think. I do believe a player's attitude has a lot to do with the winning or losing. I prefer to win. It is a lot more fun.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: mhuff on November 25, 2014, 01:06:13 pm
Good Lord Sir Pigs a Lot. Everybody loses at some time or another.... man you are spot on. Still, I don't go into a game expecting to lose or making excuses to lose beforehand. You can accept that or don't. I don't propose to tell you what you should think. I do believe a player's attitude has a lot to do with the winning or losing. I prefer to win. It is a lot more fun.

Haha, "I don't propose to tell you what you should think"......except for in the post he was quoting you on. 

mhuff

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 23, 2014, 11:06:39 am
There is no denying Mike's rebuild has taken a little longer than we would have liked. I won't mind in the end if we does get us there and we sustain it.

Naturally, we all want instant gratification. Still, three years is about all I usually give a coach to get results. Anything more is just prolonging a turn around with a coach who can turn things around. I was willing to give MA four years because he is MA. Regardless, in the grand scheme of things, my opinion is meaningless as well as others. The powers that be will determine MA's future. Programs go through cycles. I believe both FB and BB have bottomed and will cycle back up. It would be hard to mess this BB team up ,and the FB team is making history with the last two shut outs.