Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Portis Draft Stock Update

Started by The_Iceman, November 20, 2014, 02:52:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood_HOGan45

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on November 20, 2014, 02:58:09 pm
Enjoy him while you can.

After watching the game last night, I don't feel to worried about next year, because I think new players will step up. Just like they did when BJ and Powell left, and like they are doing this year after Clarke and the 4 guards left.

Hawg Red

hawgmasta

I mean from a character and size standpoint he's about as safe as you can get.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 20, 2014, 03:14:36 pm
After watching the game last night, I don't feel to worried about next year, because I think new players will step up. Just like they did when BJ and Powell left, and like they are doing this year after Clarke and the 4 guards left.

Good point.

Although, to be fair, Powell and Young were not known for their leadership. Portis combines talent and leadership and is such an embodiment of what Anderson is trying to build. I think it's possible his impact could be felt more unless the parts around him have strong enough leadership skills (and I think a few do). Luckily, we do have some talented bigs and could add another in Kapita.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 20, 2014, 03:18:23 pm
Good point.

Although, to be fair, Powell and Young were not known for their leadership. Portis combines talent and leadership and is such an embodiment of what Anderson is trying to build. I think it's possible his impact could be felt more unless the parts around him have strong enough leadership skills (and I think a few do). Luckily, we do have some talented bigs and could add another in Kapita.

If Madden and Qualls left, I think their production could be replaced by Beard, Durham, Babb, and Whitt (and Kevaughn Allen if he comes). Harris and Portis could have their production replaced by Moses, Jacorey, Miles, Thompson, and a guy like Kapita if we land him.

Its fun to see a program where guys just step up and into the role ahead of them. Let's hope the potential we see with this guys comes thru in the future years.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 20, 2014, 03:14:36 pm

I was actually thinking the same thing after what I seen from Moses Kingsley last night.  And it's not just last night, but everything I've seen from him so far this season. He's worked really hard on his post game, and he can hit the 16-18 footer as well, and he's only going to get better.  If we lose Portis, I have confidence that Kingsley will be ready, and their won't be much drop off if any at all.  Starting front court would probably be Williams and Kingsley and if they both continue to improve, they are going to be really good.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on November 20, 2014, 03:37:16 pm
I was actually thinking the same thing after what I seen from Moses Kingsley last night.  And it's not just last night, but everything I've seen from him so far this season. He's worked really hard on his post game, and he can hit the 16-18 footer as well, and he's only going to get better.  If we lose Portis, I have confidence that Kingsley will be ready, and their won't be much drop off if any at all.  Starting front court would probably be Williams and Kingsley and if they both continue to improve, they are going to be really good.

What I love seeing with these Mike Anderson teams is that players actually grow and develop from year to year. Players actually improve, and don't just look the same as they did when they were freshmen.

You can see that Beard and Babb can definitely handle a larger load as they get older, but its nice to be able to play them with very little pressure on them. You can basically slide Moses and Jacorey into the starting roles next year, with Thompson and either Miles (or Kapita) into the second string.

If Qualls leaves with Madden, you have Beard and Durham at the PG spots, Whitt can slide in behind Bell, and Babb and Watkins (and maybe Kevaughn Allen) can slide into the Qualls spot.

Its an exciting time to be a Razorback fan because there is finally stability at the coaching position, so our roster doesn't have the ridiculous Pelphrey-like turnover rate. Mike just needs to get it done this year so we can build on the momentum of an NCAA-T season and a new Practice facility.

Adam Stokes

Wow, that's a 8 spot jump from NBADraft.net.  He was around 14-16 in their last couple mock's.  Kentucky has 8 guys in the Top 40, yikes. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Adam Stokes on November 20, 2014, 04:20:31 pm
Wow, that's a 8 spot jump from NBADraft.net.  He was around 14-16 in their last couple mock's.  Kentucky has 8 guys in the Top 40, yikes. 

Thank goodness They can only play 5 at a time

The_Iceman

Quote from: Adam Stokes on November 20, 2014, 04:20:31 pm

I think Okafor is going to be an absolute beast in the pros. He has excellent post moves, to go along with everything else you need. I see a lot of Tim Duncan in his game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDD1xLddV_I

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 20, 2014, 04:36:00 pm
I think Okafor is going to be an absolute beast in the pros. He has excellent post moves, to go along with everything else you need. I see a lot of Tim Duncan in his game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDD1xLddV_I

This draft class is STACKED with quality big men.  I can't off the top of my head think of a class that had this many PF and C that were all so good. 

songofthesword

i still think portis needs another year. he can't shoot.  a stretch 4 that can't stretch lol, is not a very hot commity in the NBA.  unless his shot gets drastically better he is going to need another year

The_Iceman

Quote from: songofthesword on November 20, 2014, 04:42:23 pm
i still think portis needs another year. he can't shoot.  a stretch 4 that can't stretch lol, is not a very hot commity in the NBA.  unless his shot gets drastically better he is going to need another year

He had a bad shooting night last night. That doesn't mean he "can't shoot." He hit 3-3 from three point range his first game.

phadedhawg

He didn't exactly shoot the lights out last night.  When the game was still a contest I was getting frustrated by his insistence to take the long range shot.  He doesn't make a very good guard. 

But it's still early so who knows how he finishes up the season.  But if last night was the measure of him, he needs another year.

songofthesword

I'm not saying he is a bad player but if he wants to have a 10 year NBA career, he needs to hone that shot before he leaves.  He's going to get a shot on potential regardless but he won't play much if at all right now.

I like kingsley NBA potential more than portis honestly. kinglsy is going to be a solid NBA player in 3 years.  very low risk player, plays great defense, by this his offense on the low block will be decent enough.

-Blu

I think many scouts disagree with you right now as far as him needing another year.  He may choose to take another year, but he's a lottery pick this year if he chooses.  And Portis isn't going to make his living in the NBA being a shooter, but more of of being a 6'11 guy that can run the floor, bring energy and play defense.  You don't see a lot of 6'11 guys that has the motor that Portis does, that's what sets him apart from others and makes him so valuable.