Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jacorey Williams

Started by opineonswine, November 19, 2014, 10:34:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

opineonswine

November 19, 2014, 10:34:23 pm Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:58:04 pm by opineonswine
Played lights out tonight for those who were banging him last game.

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Atlhogfan1

I didn't "bang" him last game as I didn't comment on the last game.  Didn't see it.  But I have been critical of him throughout his career.  He has been a liability.  Just watching tonight, he looks like he is catching Qualls but plays with more defensive intensity than Qualls.  Just one game though.  Hope JW continues to provide more positive than negative minutes. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

opineonswine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 19, 2014, 10:37:16 pm
I didn't "bang" him last game as I didn't comment on the last game.  Didn't see it.  But I have been critical of him throughout his career.  He has been a liability.  Just watching tonight, he looks like he is catching Qualls but plays with more defensive intensity than Qualls.  Just one game though.  Hope JW continues to provide more positive than negative minutes.

I've seen all 4 contests...other than Ala State, he has been the most improved player on the team.

-Blu

Quote from: opineonswine on November 19, 2014, 10:37:59 pm
I've seen all 4 contests...other than Ala State, he has been the most improved player on the team.

Same here, I've seen everything starting with Red/White and I agree with you he is the most improved, with Manny Watkins getting an honorable mention.

Arkansas WR

opineonswine

Breems

His shot still looks suspect. Looks like a jump-shot turned floater unless he has a lot of time.

It went in tonight, though. No complaints until it doesn't.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

FATHAWG08

He was more in control. He slow the game down. Didn't rush his shot as much. He looks Taller?
I love off season Football!!

Junkyard Hog

He still scares the hell out of me every time he touches the ball.

Jackrabbit Hog

I've never been as worried about his shot when he's in the game as I have been the turnovers.  I think if he eliminates those - and so far the signs are positive - he will make more of an impact on the team.  It's all about playing under control for him.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hogimus Prime

JaCorey is a WTH player.  Sometimes it's good.  Sometimes it's bad.

Cresthog

This dude gets obnoxious bias just because his shot is is funky. Look at his stat line.

5-7 shooting, 4 assists on 1 TO. His game is fine and he's a heck of a presence with the press for that unit. Love his length and intensity.

He had a couple of GREAT passes last night, the one to Kingsley for the easy layup particularly stood out.

Cresthog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 20, 2014, 06:48:12 am
I've never been as worried about his shot when he's in the game as I have been the turnovers.  I think if he eliminates those - and so far the signs are positive - he will make more of an impact on the team.  It's all about playing under control for him.

He had 1 last night (on 4 assists) and 2 against ASU, both games 17 minutes. That's really not that bad.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Cresthog on November 20, 2014, 08:45:13 am
He had 1 last night (on 4 assists) and 2 against ASU, both games 17 minutes. That's really not that bad.

Perception is reality for some people, despite the facts.

Cresthog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 20, 2014, 08:49:28 am
Perception is reality for some people, despite the facts.

There's a reason Mike is giving him ~20 minutes. If you're getting 20 on a Mike team, you're a valuable player to him.

BBHog

Quote from: Cresthog on November 20, 2014, 08:43:45 am
This dude gets obnoxious bias just because his shot is is funky. Look at his stat line.

5-7 shooting, 4 assists on 1 TO. His game is fine and he's a heck of a presence with the press for that unit. Love his length and intensity.

He had a couple of GREAT passes last night, the one to Kingsley for the easy layup particularly stood out.

There's not a better mid-range shooter on the team.  His bread and butter is his jumpshot at free throw line length.  Automatic. 

Kevin

He is a wild card.  Never know what you are getting, right now he is playing well
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

cc

Game has really improved since last year.  If he can shoot that open 15-17 footer at a 50% clip or better (he is much better than that right now), it will open up other options in the half court offense that no one was expecting.  At least I wasn't excepting him to shoot it like that and obviously neither were our opponents by how open he has been. 

Hogimus Prime

I like JW as the point man on the press.  He is long, athletic and plays with energy. 

Hawg Red

Only problem I've ever really had with him has been that he's always been a chucker when he got in and tried too hard to stand out offensively. He seems to be letting the game come to him now and is really embracing the energy/hustle/defensive role. He's kind of like Harris in that you have to take the good with the bad. I thought JaCorey still put up some shots that maybe he shouldn't have but he made them. Harris will take some shots and make some moves you don't think he should but he's also a good player for us. Both look to be embracing the roles they were meant for now.

Biggus Piggus

If you saw Williams play last night, you know he's better by far than he has ever been. Better on both ends.
[CENSORED]!

chiefhawg

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on November 20, 2014, 06:41:31 am
That's what the other team's coach says when Jacorey is the point man on the press.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 20, 2014, 09:33:40 am
If you saw Williams play last night, you know he's better by far than he has ever been. Better on both ends.

He played excellent defense, took good shots, and played under control.

10 pts, 5 rebs, 4 asts, on 5-7 shooting. I'm surprised he didn't have an official steal or block, because it felt like he caused all kinds of trouble on defense.

swinesation

Agree. The man is a beast at the point of the press. And, lest we forget, our press is our calling card. The second team executed the press with much more energy and effectiveness against WF.

azhog10

He was great last night. I hope he can continue to shoot this way, although I'm not ready to depend on that type of shooting from him. I did like his energy. I thought he played a lot faster last night vs. how he played inthe Alabama St. game. He still has to limit his turnovers. The one he gave up last night turned into an easy layup for them. But honestly no one can complain about his effort and overall play last night. Keep it up Jacorey!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 20, 2014, 09:25:20 am
Only problem I've ever really had with him has been that he's always been a chucker when he got in and tried too hard to stand out offensively. He seems to be letting the game come to him now and is really embracing the energy/hustle/defensive role. He's kind of like Harris in that you have to take the good with the bad. I thought JaCorey still put up some shots that maybe he shouldn't have but he made them. Harris will take some shots and make some moves you don't think he should but he's also a good player for us. Both look to be embracing the roles they were meant for now.
I'll bet anything you thought of the Keith Hernandez episode of Seinfeld when you typed out "chucker."
I agree with you, Harris and Williams seem to have a better understanding of their roles now. Good depth can have that effect on players.

mhuff

November 20, 2014, 02:56:39 pm #28 Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:05:59 pm by mhuff
Quote from: Hawg Red on November 20, 2014, 09:25:20 am

Jacorey played a super game last night. Those are really good stats. He made one glaring error by trying to dribble off a rebound back down court. It should have been an outlet pass for a fast break. You get the ball down the court faster by passing. He just has to realize that he is not a PG. Anytime he dribbles more than once, I hold my breath. He is shooting better ,and it is a FT length shot or a little longer.... Great, we need that. Madden even stopped and shot from there. He made the shot ,but he shot a fall away which I hate....... lower percent shot when it was not needed.

wholehog92

I'm on board with most improved as well.  He was manic from minute to minute last year.  If he continues to improve, with his athleticism, he will be very fun to watch.  Last year, one minute he would anticipate a pass, jump to the rafters to intercept it and throw a no look pass for a dunk downcourt one possession and then fall asleep on a backcut the next trip down.

This year he is focused and playing within his ability and doing well consistently.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

incHOGnito

Quote from: azhog10 on November 20, 2014, 11:51:47 am
He was great last night. I hope he can continue to shoot this way, although I'm not ready to depend on that type of shooting from him. I did like his energy. I thought he played a lot faster last night vs. how he played inthe Alabama St. game. He still has to limit his turnovers. The one he gave up last night turned into an easy layup for them. But honestly no one can complain about his effort and overall play last night. Keep it up Jacorey!

He shoots that 15-18 footer like he has been knocking it down in practice for the past two years.  You can tell when he is in that range he feels comfortable, but as others have said, if he had a more pure looking stroke, I think people would be a lot more forgiving of his misses.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on November 20, 2014, 06:41:31 am

me too.  can't help it. maybe because of how he tends to shoot when he first enters a game, and it always seems like bad timing, a terrible selection, and shot.

The rest of the frog.

labb

Thru three games Williams is 18 for 25. That is 72%.

mhuff

Quote from: labb on November 20, 2014, 07:20:21 pm
Thru three games Williams is 18 for 25. That is 72%.

We can only hope that Williams has learned from his errors. He shot .398 last year. We just need to be supportive and not expect the impossible..... BUT..... do you not think that this is getting our opposition coach's attention. They are going to have to try and stop him...... That's one more reason I said I would like to see him start getting some assists.... which he did. I like Manny .... all the players for that matter giving as many assists as possible..... No.... they're not scoring much ,but someone else is when the ball is passed for an easy basket..... That's good BB and what we need. We had a lot of that this last game..... BB is a team sport.

labb

He has shot the ball really good so far. I would look for the percentage to fall off the next game. What is more important is that his turn overs are down. The time that he gave up the ball on the dribble outlet he got criticized for not giving up the ball to a guard but I do believe that Anderson encourages his bigs to start the break and not wait on a guard. Williams is capable of doing this. I think the kid is on track for a break out year. If so he becomes a really tough match up for most teams.